Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lindsay Shepard banned from Twitter

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/polarizing-free-speech-activist-lindsay-shepherd-banned-from-twitter

laters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"free speech activist"

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Truly the death of freedom in this country. It's great she got banned for such a weak rear end burn, too. Should have been banned from having opinions in general after showing Jordan Peterson vids though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Time traveling me, to 1991 me: "....oh yeah, and you'll have way more respect for Ed the Sock than at least two major political parties."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Time traveling me, to 1991 me: "....oh yeah, and you'll have way more respect for Ed the Sock than at least two major political parties."

Ed the Sock is a transphobe all caught up in gamergate poo poo last I checked

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Steven Kerzner's alleged transphobia was more from a lack of wokeness than any sort of bigotry; he's admitted he got it wrong, and the "I don't have a problem with what you are but what you're doing" is consistent with his character, so I'll take him at his word.

quote:

I was doing an interview and mentioned the term "transsexual" and my comedy partner —who's much more tuned in to the world — said "No, it's "transgender!" Somebody might call you "transphobic" for saying "transsexual." Now, I'm not transphobic at all. But there are people who — because I didn't know what the current term is — would jump on me and accuse me of being transphobic. That's politically correct. But I just didn't know

Steven 'Ed the Sock' Kerzner posted:

The only other thing that may have changed, is I’ve become a little more aware over the years what transgender people go through. I’ve always been supportive of them. I don’t have a problem with anybody who has gender dysmorphia, I don’t care. It’s how you treat other people. How do you treat me in the workplace? Are you doin’ your job? That’s all that really matters and that's all that should matter to anybody. Why anybody gives a drat about somebody else's personal struggles, except if they care and want to help, I don't know. That to me is a strange mindset. But I think I’m more sensitized to the issue of transgender.

His wife was the one "caught up in gamergate poo poo", when she correctly established that Anita Sarkeesian cared a lot less about feminism than she did about self-promotion, and you can imagine exactly what happened after she said that. Also consistent with their character's... um... character. If you're doing something stupid or hypocritical, they're going to mock you regardless of your political stripe.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Virtual Russian posted:

How bad is Winnipeg really? I've only visited briefly like a decade ago when i was training at Shilo, my impression was ok. However, even Brandon was good compared to Shilo. UofManitoba encouraged me to apply to a masters program there, and im curious if its really that bad there.

I went like a decade ago and went to a gay bar and it was like a junior high dance with native guys on one side of the room and white guys on the other side, and while the native guys were fun the white guys acted like they were too good to live in Winnipeg (they were not)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

flakeloaf posted:

His wife was the one "caught up in gamergate poo poo", when she correctly established that Anita Sarkeesian cared a lot less about feminism than she did about self-promotion, and you can imagine exactly what happened after she said that

I'm guessing she started a reactionary youtube channel and that's why a couple of months ago she posted a 10 minute long rant about how the Jaxx ending of the new Mortal Kombat game was bad because it was selfish and racist of him to go back in time and prevent slavery from happening?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Jul 16, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if one of the people i'm calling an astute centrist commentator is in fact a lovely person, telling me this so i'll stop i'll stop listening to them is a good thing to say

not sure her opinions on video games qualify, also, not sure a white canadian woman should be airing out her opinions on black men and slavery in the us anywhere, even on youtubr

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Steven Kerzner's alleged transphobia was more from a lack of wokeness than any sort of bigotry; he's admitted he got it wrong, and the "I don't have a problem with what you are but what you're doing" is consistent with his character, so I'll take him at his word.

His wife was the one "caught up in gamergate poo poo", when she correctly established that Anita Sarkeesian cared a lot less about feminism than she did about self-promotion, and you can imagine exactly what happened after she said that. Also consistent with their character's... um... character. If you're doing something stupid or hypocritical, they're going to mock you regardless of your political stripe.

no that apology is still an absolute shitfuck of stupidity and it's insulting as hell. "I know more about the transgenders and their gender dysmorphias!" gently caress off with that poo poo

"the issue of transgender" please kill me, I have "the issue of transgender"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

I’ve always been supportive of them. I don’t have a problem with anybody who has gender dysmorphia, I don’t care. It’s how you treat other people. How do you treat me in the workplace? Are you doin’ your job? That’s all that really matters and that's all that should matter to anybody. Why anybody gives a drat about somebody else's personal struggles, except if they care and want to help, I don't know.

It's okay to recognize that you don't know how to talk about a topic, and it's good to say that you don't have a problem with people because of what they are.

You're still free to be angry about someone for accepting people if you want to and I'm also free to think you're working way too hard at it, when there are so many easier targets like actual transphobes you could be yelling about. But I've never fought against that kind of adversity literally every day of my life. If I had, maybe I would also regularly misinterpret the poorly-formed, misspoken opinions of the ill-informed as hate against me that demands some sort of apology. That wouldn't make me right.

e: k that sounded really lovely. What I think he meant to say, what he said and what you heard are three different things. I can't see all three of those things at the same time. I don't see a hateful intention, but if you do, then I respect that you see that and I condemn that intention.

Like, there's a difference between saying things wrong and saying wrong things. I do both, the former far more than the latter.

Arivia posted:

"the issue of transgender" please kill me, I have "the issue of transgender"

k that is really stupid but it's also a quote from loving vice, the place that definitely accurately quotes people word for word

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Jul 16, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No, see, him not knowing anything about the topic was the first quote you listed. Okay, you're not in tune with current wording, that's fine, it's changed a bunch, you had it explained and you learned and moved on. Great. That's normal people poo poo.

That second quote though? That's odious. If you're going to go off and be like "oh I've learned so much and I've always been an ally and I'm super accepting", you should make sure you get the basic language of the community you're talking about correct. To be that ally you say you are, a basic requirement is to be respectful of people's language and how they talk about themselves.

And Vice isn't an excuse. No way. I've seen enough "allies" be that big an idiot to put him in the right box.

e: poo poo like this got my life ruined and is why we have neo-nazis beating up queer people in Hamilton. You can gently caress right off if you think you get to decide for me who's an acceptable ally for my issues.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

incontinence 100 posted:

imagine thinking winnipeg is renowned

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ed the Sock should've been retired 15 years ago. He was never funny. Don't let that idiot get to you Arivia

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Ed the Sock should've been retired 15 years ago. He was never funny. Don't let that idiot get to you Arivia

Oh, he's not getting to me. I'm just putting my foot down.

Really it says something that when you mention Ed the Sock transphobe/gamergate he's ready to jump to defense with prepared pull quotes and poo poo

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ed the Sock is as funny as George Strombolopolos should be working in any media.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Strombo you could at least laugh at. A guy in his late fifties with a sock on his hand you just sort of :stare:

Arivia posted:

If you're going to go off and be like "oh I've learned so much and I've always been an ally and I'm super accepting", you should make sure you get the basic language of the community you're talking about correct. To be that ally you say you are, a basic requirement is to be respectful of people's language and how they talk about themselves.

This is true. I think it's good to mock him as sounding like a stupid hypocrite for loving it up when ten seconds on google can answer the question. He meant to sound accepting and came off like the target of his own joke. It's like when your grandma says "Oh no honey I don't mind those Orientals".... you know what she means, but still. gently caress.

Arivia posted:

Oh, he's not getting to me. I'm just putting my foot down.

Really it says something that when you mention Ed the Sock transphobe/gamergate he's ready to jump to defense with prepared pull quotes and poo poo

Ten seconds on google answered that question too, not sure where you're pulling htis prepared pull quotes bullshit out of. I have no emotional stake in a man who wears a sock on his hand, I just didn't want to be parroting someone who turned out to be a transphobic shithead, so when you accused him of it, naturally I took the time to check.

Arivia posted:

You can gently caress right off if you think you get to decide for me who's an acceptable ally for my issues.

I never meant to say that and I never will. Not my place. You recognize the shibboleths of hate against your group more than I do, and if you tell me that a word he said is one of those things, then I believe you.

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Jul 16, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

incontinence 100 posted:

Ed the Sock is as funny as George Strombolopolos should be working in any media.

Strombo was good. He played the good music videos, by Sum 41 not the bad music videos, by Simple Plan!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I think now is a good time as ever to remind you that Serial Joe was a band that existed lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

quote:

Ten seconds on google answered that question too, not sure where you're pulling htis prepared pull quotes bullshit out of. I have no emotional stake in a man who wears a sock on his hand, I just didn't want to be parroting someone who turned out to be a transphobic shithead, so when you accused him of it, naturally I took the time to check.

then why did you bring him up and start defending him?

flakeloaf posted:

This is true. I just don't think it's fair to negate someone's claim that they respect your dignity because they haven't heard the terminology of a community they don't belong to. What it is okay to do is mock them as being stupid hypocrites for loving it up when ten seconds on google can answer the question. He meant to sound accepting and came off like the target of his own joke.

It's like when your grandma says "Oh no honey I don't mind those Orientals".... you know what she means, but still. gently caress.

like this is true but you've also shifted goalposts each and every post in an effort to avoid saying that Ed the sock is actually bad. Say it. Say the man with the sock on his hand is bad. Do it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

like this is true but you've also shifted goalposts each and every post in an effort to avoid saying that Ed the sock is actually bad. Say it. Say the man with the sock on his hand is bad. Do it.

paging dr peterson to talk about trans compelled speech

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Because you accused him of being transphobic and I didn't recognize how getting the terminology wrong and saying "I got it wrong" was the same thing, because I'm still learning too.

Arivia posted:

My point has been consistent, even if the wording's been inexact. Transphobia is bad. Respect everyone. Don't put words in people's mouths. Sock man says he is good, and he says he wants to be good, but the people who know the signs of bad people say he is bad. I accept that he is bad.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

"This music video by a boy band who plays with nunchucks is bad. It smells like my butt after it farts" - sock man
"Oh boy I hope that I get to defend this guy's politics after he has be irrelevant for 20 years" - internet man

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Because you accused him of being transphobic and I didn't recognize how getting the terminology wrong and saying "I got it wrong" was the same thing, because I'm still learning too.

My point has been consistent, even if the wording's been inexact. Transphobia is bad. Respect everyone. Don't put words in people's mouths. Sock man says he is good, and he says he wants to be good, but the people who know the signs of bad people say he is bad. I accept that he is bad.

Okay, we're good. hifive.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not everyone who shits on canada proud and the ppc is necessarily good. This has been an interesting day.

Look at this duck. He doesn't care about any of this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Not everyone who shits on canada proud and the ppc is necessarily good. This has been an interesting day.

Look at this duck. He doesn't care about any of this.

we regret to inform you that innocent duck is racist

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gently caress

i give up

mods, send in the dancing lobsters

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
rapist, ducks are rapists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
where are we on triumph, the insult comic dog?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

imagine living in canada and looking down on any other place in the country for being more racist than the place you are at the moment lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

quote:

Robert Smigel (born February 7, 1960) is an American actor, humorist, puppeteer, comedian and writer known for his Saturday Night Live "TV Funhouse" cartoon shorts and as the puppeteer and voice behind Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. He also co-wrote the Hotel Transylvania films and You Don't Mess with the Zohan, both starring Adam Sandler.

"Presented without comment" is a comment

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

I thought about having it do the "say it. say the sock is bad" line

@flakeloaf: I am fascinated by the thought process that leads you to set up a slam dunk milkshake duck reference on yourself

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I enjoy mocking people who say wrongheaded things, so when I say a wrongheaded thing I need to elbow my way to the front of the line. Fair's fair.

"I hosed up" is a thing more people really need to learn how to say. Not loving up would be better, granted.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Strombo lead the charge for Tommy Douglas being recognized as the Greatest Canadian so he's ok in my books.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

imagine living in canada and looking down on any other place in the country for being more racist than the place you are at the moment lmao

Yeah it solely exists to pass the buck to another city for being more racist so they don't have to do anything.

"well at least we aren't like Winnipeg/Saskatoon/Calgary/INSERT TOWN HERE"

Meanwhile more native women keep going missing

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't have to imagine, I live in Toronto :smug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

rapist, ducks are rapists.

also have corkscrew dicks apparently?!?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

priznat posted:

also have corkscrew dicks apparently?!?

you don't evolve vaginal mazes for like, no reason

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I think now is a good time as ever to remind you that Serial Joe was a band that existed lol

as a stupid teenager we threw pennies at them when they played at some fest

i sure showed them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyH-iXX4e-M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

DariusLikewise posted:

I see this a lot when talking about problematic things in Canada, where the other person will just dismiss it with a joke about how the US is worse.

Sure, maybe the US is worse, but that isn't an excuse.