Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I had to unfuck my cbloader last night, and in the process found a really great collection of part files for it. I wish the Readme was still up for the KDM Houserule Pack (no relation to Kingdom Death Monster). Browsing, it looked like it was doing a bunch of stuff I'd do, myself.

All the instructions, the link, and whatnot are here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/4eDnD/comments/bgy0lv/psa_cbloader_site_appears_dead_and_running_the/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
All right, I put up a page for math fixes, haven't got any DTAS up yet. Stuff like "consider having no controllers" is less a house rule and more what you'd call a guideline, so I don't think it really needs a whole page to itself. Maybe a "DMing advice" page in the future, though.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'd lean towards giving melee classes melee training, even if they're not defenders. Kinda sucks when your warlord gives the rogue or monk an attack and they're at effectively -7 to hit or something.

Maybe let swordmages have, what was it, Intelligent Blademaster? Or just pre-errata melee training for the melee people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Just give everyone the ability to make basic attacks with their highest stat/ It will break exactly nothing and like... 90% of clases have at least one option to get it anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Just give everyone the ability to make basic attacks with their highest stat/ It will break exactly nothing and like... 90% of clases have at least one option to get it anyway.

Basic Attack Problems are probably another thing that could go into the "4E just do this every game" page, because how they implemented them as a concept was a big mess and it's easily fixed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Almost all 4E games I saw recruiting here give at least a form of melee training and improved defenses as feat freebies. Maybe include that?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'd lean towards giving melee classes melee training, even if they're not defenders. Kinda sucks when your warlord gives the rogue or monk an attack and they're at effectively -7 to hit or something.

Maybe let swordmages have, what was it, Intelligent Blademaster? Or just pre-errata melee training for the melee people.

That was the result of me looking for houserules over google, and why I turned to this thread for advice because there's a lot of bad ones out there. Plus ones that aren't exactly bad but very... handwavey, ill-defined, "the DM should use their judgement" kind of stuff with regards to handing out feats or bonuses.

All I want is some concrete numbers :negative:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Unless the entire group is made of 4e vets, I'd actually lean against allowing hybrids. I played from level 11-30 with a hybrid, and it was fun, but I'd say my character got way too powerful. Normally, if it's not way too powerful, it's way, way too weak.

IMO, this is less "nobody use hybrids" and more generic DM advice for "Don't have one character who's an obvious outlier in terms of char-op." This works in both ways, too. Don't let somebody roll a heavily optimized powerhouse in a group of less optimized characters, but don't let somebody roll an underpowered potato either.

Hybrids can be harder to build, yeah, but there's plenty of hybrids out there like Barbarian|Cleric that are perfectly workable in the average party, and they're often a very good choice for a small party that needs a little more healing or dps without adding an extra person.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, 'no hybrids' is kind of irrelevant if one player is a Cavalier and another is a rebreather.

The important thing to do is agree on a general level of intended optimisation, both for characters and party, and work to that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Plutonis posted:

Almost all 4E games I saw recruiting here give at least a form of melee training and improved defenses as feat freebies. Maybe include that?

If you start going down this road you might as well give all characters a free 18 in their best stat while you're at it

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Gort posted:

If you start going down this road you might as well give all characters a free 18 in their best stat while you're at it

Except you can get an 18 in your main stat without giving up something more important if you use point buy.
The point of those feats is to give people feats that are "must haves" in order to just fix the games wonky math, rather than to get any "cool thing". Personally I give these out so people can have more "cool things" without worrying about falling behind the monster stat curves.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gort posted:

Letting people hit with MBAs is not in any way comparable with giving everyone a free 18 in their main stat, Captain Hyperbole.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I did write a thing about how to replace the:

* half-level bonus
* the "per-tier" bonus of Versatile Expertise and Improved Defenses
* the entire magical item treadmill (i.e. inherent bonuses)

with a single number:

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/simplified-modifiers-for-dd-4e/

the very short version of this would be to replace these numbers with [characterLevel x 0.8], rounded down, such that a level 4 character would have a bonus of +3, since [4 * 0.8 = 3.2]

If they were rolling an attack, they would roll [d20 + ability modifier + 3], and then also the weapon proficiency bonus if it's a weapon attack, usually a +2

If they were calculating for their defenses, it would be [10 + ability modifier + 3]
If they were calculating for their AC, it would be [10 + armor bonus +3]
If they were calculating for their AC with Light Armor, it would be [10 + Dex/Int modifier + armor bonus + 3]

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gort posted:

What? No. Why would you compare these two things, and how do you even give out a free 18 in 4e? What would that even look like or mean?

Melee Training, Improved Defenses, and X Expertise are math patches disguised as feats, so it's good to hand them out. (The only reason not to, IMO, would be because 4e feats are horrible to pick, so this would at least give you 3 slots you didn't need to fill with something else.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And honestly, giving everyone an 18 in their base stat is

fine

like, it's an option for point buy.

The game is balanced around the possibility of it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

thespaceinvader posted:

And honestly, giving everyone an 18 in their base stat is

fine

like, it's an option for point buy.

The game is balanced around the possibility of it.

I actually did this in a game I ran and people had a lot of fun playing around with secondaries and not having to invest everything in Accuracy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Seriously the idea that this is a game in which goodies must be doled out in limited and stringent ways is one you shoudl abandon.

4e characters are never weak if built even semi-competently, and will be superheroes by midway through their career, and capable of literally deicide by the end of it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can't imagine not having an 18 in your main stat at all and that's going to affect your character way more than slightly better MBAs.

Unless you put a 20.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I don't remember the last time I made a character that didn't have a 20 main

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've done 16/16 starts on several occasions before, with balanced-primary builds, and routinely used 17.15 stat arrays in Living Forgotten Realms where you could rebuild between levels.

In short, if you're likely to be playing mostly at levels where your primary is odd anyway, it might as well be a 17.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That makes sense, we've just always played super loose with the stats because they're stupid anyways so we would let people move numbers a little into their optimal places whenever necessary.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

One of my players has a 14 in their primary stat and took a feat that gives +1 defense against opportunity attacks as their third feat

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Here are basically the two arrays you want for 99% of characters in 4E:

...Good for hybrids, characters that want to qualify for unusual feats later (heavy shields and plate mail on a character not typically kitted for those, dual implement casting), and especially characters that have +2s in both of the 16s.

...Good for a character who wants to hit as often as possible and is generally going to look like a standard member of their class.

In 4E you are generally going to want to max out your attack score and throw the rest into the ability score(s) that your class and build key off of for secondary effects, which is at most two other scores, generally.

Gort posted:

One of my players has a 14 in their primary stat and took a feat that gives +1 defense against opportunity attacks as their third feat

My condolences.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Most of my players hate charop and are bad at it, so I just pick three feats that don't suck for them, come up with an IC description of what they represent, and let them decide what they're learning as an IC choice.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gort posted:

gently caress it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gort posted:

Are you saying this as something admirable that others should strive towards? Is this one of those "We're not ROLL-players, we're ROLE-players" chestnut?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm pretty sure that's not intended as a good example

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Are you saying this as something admirable that others should strive towards? Is this one of those "We're not ROLL-players, we're ROLE-players" chestnut?

No

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Sorry, dude.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

*Takes hand off holstered pistol, continues drinking at the bar*

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I was more illustrating how 4e has a bunch of no-brainer character choices like the maths fix feats, and how maxing out your attack stat is one of them, so if you're giving out the maths fixes for free you might as well do the same with the attack stat

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There is honestly no reason other than tradition for 4e (or any D&D-like) these days to not say 'pick one of these two stat arrays, assign them how you like to the stats'.

Or roll dice to determine where they go if you want to generate your character randomly, but for god's sake if you do, pick your class afterwards.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

There is honestly no reason other than tradition for 4e (or any D&D-like) these days to not say 'pick one of these two stat arrays, assign them how you like to the stats'.

Yeah, this is flat out the way I do it when I run 4E. There's no point in doing point-buy, just get players to pick between 18/14 or 16/16.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's straight up how Gamma World did it too, you ended up with an 18 in your primary/16 in your secondary and random rolled everything else. Unless you rolled the same stat as primary and secondary and then you had a 20 and random everything.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I finally got some friends to agree to play the game, and I'm wondering if there's a place that has a complete archive of all of the errata. The WotC site has a compiled version, but that includes Essentials changes which do things like "Make Magic Missile always hit because that's how it's always been and that's how it should always be", and I'm concerned about other ideologically-driven changes.

Any other things I should be aware of? It's been a while since I've been able to play. I know that MM3 match, the feat tax, and inherent bonuses are a thing. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Like, is there a version of the character builder that still works? I remember some other stuff, like how wizards are kind of weird because they hadn't figured out Controllers since then. Most of the players here are brand-new to 4e, and while there aren't any "traps", I feel like I want to give them the best experience 4e has to offer.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

To my knowledge the CBLoader can only work on a PC and then only with some messing around ; so out of luck if you're a Mac user. If you aren't, I believe they patched the hell out of that so you might be in luck, but I haven't been in the loop since my old laptop died and I had to switch to Apple out of necessity of it being there.

My classic rules fix is basically Death to Ability Scores Lite : when you look at a class it's pretty obvious there's [Primary Ability Score] and choice of [Secondary Ability Score], so just let people pick those to be whatever they want as long as they're consistent. Not as good as actually decoupling ability scores and there's probably some ways to abuse it, but it takes like zero effort, can be explained to new people pretty quickly and is better than happy thoughts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

demota posted:

I finally got some friends to agree to play the game, and I'm wondering if there's a place that has a complete archive of all of the errata. The WotC site has a compiled version, but that includes Essentials changes which do things like "Make Magic Missile always hit because that's how it's always been and that's how it should always be", and I'm concerned about other ideologically-driven changes.

Any other things I should be aware of? It's been a while since I've been able to play. I know that MM3 match, the feat tax, and inherent bonuses are a thing. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Like, is there a version of the character builder that still works? I remember some other stuff, like how wizards are kind of weird because they hadn't figured out Controllers since then. Most of the players here are brand-new to 4e, and while there aren't any "traps", I feel like I want to give them the best experience 4e has to offer.

I'd say be careful of party composition - a party full of strikers will play differently to a party that's half-and-half defenders and leaders. Try and get a mix of strikers, defenders and leaders, controllers are optional, especially in smaller parties.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Due to player attrition, I'm down to four players from six. Those two were Strikers, leaving the party with: Paladin, Monk, Artificer, and Cleric. It's been a ride.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Due to player attrition, I'm down to four players from six. Those two were Strikers, leaving the party with: Paladin, Monk, Artificer, and Cleric. It's been a ride.

That monk is never going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just pour as many buffs onto that dude as you can and go ham