Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

We can bamf!, let's use it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Why do that when we can teleport out of the disguise?

Popping into existence next to our allies while completely naked sounds like an excellent way to establish dominance. Teleport.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Popping into existence next to our allies while completely naked sounds like an excellent way to establish dominance. Teleport.

Oddly I recently read a webnovel where the mc does exactly that... because the teleportation does not bring anything except his body along.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

War of the Wizards posted:

You close your eyes and concentrate your mind on the far bank of the river where you can see King Samu urging his brave soldiers on. At the cost of 2 WILLPOWER points you teleport, experiencing the sickening feeling that always accompanies teleportation. You appear on the other side of the river and at Samu’s side. He looks round and sees you.

‘By the gods!’ he shouts, raising his sword to strike you.

You remember that you are still wearing the Shadakine uniform.

Willpower: 37.
Should we take off our helmet to reveal our identity or raise our staff to defend ourself?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We take off our helmet to reveal our identity. He's a good enough swordsmen to not hit us.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Comstar posted:

We take off our helmet to reveal our identity. He's a good enough swordsmen to not hit us.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Why do that when we can teleport out of the disguise?

we can't teleport out of our disguise! We've got a date with a do-or-die choice!

raising our weapon will "prove" we're actually a threat. Unmask

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Comstar posted:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Cry Havoc posted:

Teleport!

And maybe we should take off the disguise first.

or take it off now that works too

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Comstar posted:

Agreed, and he's also probably good enough to just kill us on accident if we try to defend ourselves.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Comstar posted:

This.

wiegieman posted:

Agreed, and he's also probably good enough to just kill us on accident if we try to defend ourselves.
true.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Behold our glorious stripy hair!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hurriedly you pull off the helmet and stand flinching beneath Samu’s poised sword. But he is an expert warrior and he checks its downward sweep in an instant. His eyes bulge in amazement. ‘Grey Star!’ he gasps. ‘I almost killed you!’

‘No time … no time,’ you reply, quickly, shaking Samu from his stupor. ‘Call your men; we must retreat. See?’ you say, gesturing across the river. ‘I have brought the demon plague. We must flee while they and the Shadakine fight.’

It is as you say. Across the river the demons wage a ferocious battle against the Shadakine. Instantly Samu springs into action, calling to his men and ordering a trumpeter to sound a retreat. The Masbaté retire. The Shadakine are too involved in their fight to pursue, at least for the moment, but you know that it is essential to destroy the bridge to prevent any pursuit should the Shadakine, who must number in their thousands, quickly defeat the demon plague.
Should we use Elementalism, Physiurgy, or Thaumaturgy, or just shoot the bridge with our staff?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I forget what Physiurgy does, like, in general.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Me too, let’s find out.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

nelson posted:

Me too, let’s find out.

I like this train of thought.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

nelson posted:

Me too, let’s find out.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

moosecow333 posted:

I like this train of thought.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Elementalism!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I had to go back to the starter post to find out Physiurgy is an upgraded Elementalism, and that did a pretty good job the last time we had to gently caress up a bridge, so let's see what the stronger one does.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

I had to go back to the starter post to find out Physiurgy is an upgraded Elementalism, and that did a pretty good job the last time we had to gently caress up a bridge, so let's see what the stronger one does.

At the expense of 2 WILLPOWER points, you summon the mighty powers of the waters of the River Dosar, bending the river to your need. Suddenly a tall tower of water explodes all around the bridge, breaking its stones and instantly destroying the once sturdy structure.

Willpower: 35.

You are given a horse and ride alongside Samu, who, like the rest of the Masbaté, does not ride. The Masbaté are too big to ride and use their Simar horses only to carry their supplies. Nevertheless, the Masbaté run like the wind and soon the River Dosar is far behind.

When night comes, you make camp. Tomorrow, your southerly journey will take you to the Army of the Freedom Guild.

The night passes without incident and the following morning you and the Masbaté break camp and continue south. You cross a flat land of farms and small villages, the inhabitants of which come out of their homes and look upon you with wonder.

You warn the people of the vast Shadakine Army that follows and that may have already crossed the River Dosar. Though you are glad to see that your presence has heartened so many, you realize with regret that word of your passing is sure to reach the city of Andui to the northeast, where there is sure to be a Shadakine garrison. Perhaps it will be sent against you, ahead of the large army trapped north of the River Dosar or perhaps the Shadakine Wytch of that city, Mother Chowloon, sister of Mother Magri of Suhn, will come against you.

Thoughts of Shadakine Wytches remind you of Tanith’s plight. You wonder how she fares and whether Mother Magri has successfully drawn Tanith back to the Port of Suhn in the east.

You continue the journey. At noon you cross the River Anduis near the town of Sena. You stop to warn the townspeople of Sena of the advance of Shadakine forces and enlist their help in destroying the bridge. This will ensure that the garrison at Andui, and the larger army beyond the River Dosar, will have to cross the River Anduis at the bridge of the city of Andui.

By late afternoon you can see the large and mysterious Forest of Fernmost looming in the west. You have made good time. The Masbaté are tireless runners and have kept pace with your horse with little effort. You are passing a group of hills beyond the boundaries of the dark forest when you see a group of horsemen riding towards you. Each of them wears a red veil, part of the uniform of the Army of the Freedom Guild. When the riders are within a hundred paces, they stop and aim their bows at you.

‘Hail there men of the Freedom Guild. We are friends. Put down your weapons,’ you shout.

‘Who calls himself friend, yet marches from the north before an army?’ questions one of the riders.

‘I would speak with your leader, Sado of the Long Knife,’ you reply. ‘Tell him an old friend has returned to aid him. Tell him it is I, Grey Star, of the Shianti.’

At these words, the horsemen lower their bows and look at you in amazement as you ride towards them. You now wear your grey Shianti robe once more. Their expressions become joyous. ‘You have come. You have returned,’ they cry. ‘Sado said it would be so but none believed.’

With glad hearts, the horsemen lead you and the Masbaté to the Freedom Guild’s camp, which lies a few miles south of the hills. You come upon a sprawling mass of tents and fluttering banners. The camp is alive with activity. As you and the Masbaté pick your way among the tents and the campfires you attract a great deal of attention. Some soldiers offer a rousing cheer at the sight of the size of the Masbaté host: useful reinforcements in a time of desperate need. You and Samu leave the Masbaté to pitch their own camp in an unploughed field nearby and go to Sado’s tent together. The tent flap is pulled aside and Sado of the Long Knife steps out. You recognize his lean, haggard face and dangerous blue eyes. These eyes soften and a smile breaks across his face when he sees you.

‘Grey Star, I knew you would come back,’ he says. ‘Hail Samu, and welcome.’ You both exchange greetings with the brave leader of the Freedom Guild. Inside his tent you tell him of the success of your quest for the Moonstone and the warning words of the Shianti, when they spoke to you in the chamber of the Moonstone.

‘And so,’ you say to close your story, ‘it is their wish that we fall back into the Forest of Fernmost to escape the larger Shadakine Army that is sure to come against us once they have crossed the Dosar and Anduis rivers.’

Sado’s brow furrows. ‘But the forest is a place of evil,’ he says. ‘Perhaps foul creatures of Shasarak’s lurk there—creatures that would be his slaves if he desired it. Surely it would be better to march on Suhn and take it by siege. Once we occupied it, we would have a stranglehold on the bulk of Shadakine trade. It is the only port foreigners will visit in the Shadakine Empire, and its city walls would offer a better defence.’

‘The Shadakine host would reach you before the Port of Suhn could be reduced,’ you tell him patiently. ‘And they outnumber your army three to one. You would be cut off from your base at Karnali and the Shadakine would be able to send reinforcements by sea. You would lose Karnali for sure and the whole seat of the rebellion would be destroyed, and your army too.’

Sado looks doubtful. ‘My army numbers ten thousand men. All are well trained. Your long absence has not seen us idle. We have engaged Shasarak’s slaves wherever we have found them and my soldiers are well tested in combat.’

The argument lasts well into the night, but Sado’s faith in you, the Moonstone that you bear, and the wisdom of the Shianti, of whom you have spoken, eventually persuade him. Preparations are made to move the army out the following morning.

Dawn is breaking when the alarm is raised and you are alerted to an attack on the camp. Swiftly you rise, taking up your Staff and rushing outside. There is great clamour everywhere. Men are rushing in all directions, still donning their armour. You rush towards Sado’s tent. He is not there but an attendant tells you that a group of Shadakine has attempted an attack. Sado is already at the scene of the battle with a unit of soldiers, hand picked to fight a rearguard action, while the remainder of the army retreats to the Forest of Fernmost. This unit was chosen by Sado himself last night in readiness for just such an eventuality. You are sure that the Shadakine attack cannot be from the large army you trapped on the other side of the River Dosar; it can only be the garrison from Andui.
Should we go help Sado or lead the rest of the army into the forest?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Help Sado

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sado's got plot armor if he's lasted this long. Lead the army into the forest.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anakha posted:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Going to him would probably bring him into range of our Death Aura, let’s make for the forest.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
bring the army into the forest [so it can help us search for wizard drugs]

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Going to go against the grain here, Help our friend

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

anakha posted:

Good point: Let's do it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

anakha posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Going to him would probably bring him into range of our Death Aura, let’s make for the forest.

You ride among the army camp, calling to all. ‘Follow, follow. We go to the Fernmost. I will lead you there. There is nothing to fear.’

Many of the Guildsmen nearby shake their heads. The legends of the forest are steeped in legend and dark mystery and the soldiers are filled with a superstitious fear of it. You look around in desperation, willing someone to follow you.

‘Will no one follow?’ you implore with searching eyes. There is a long, brooding silence, broken only by the occasional ring of armour as the Guildsmen shuffle uneasily.

‘Will none listen to the wisdom of the Shianti?’ you shout into the silence. There is the sound of movement to your left. With relief you see King Samu striding towards you, leading a long line of his own warriors.

‘We of the Masbaté will heed the words of the Shianti,’ he booms. ‘We at least do not fear to tread beneath the trees of Fernmost, not while a wizard of the Shianti leads us.’

You hope that Samu’s words will shame the Guildsmen into entering the forest. You are well aware of the legends that scare them. The Forest of Fernmost was once part of the ancient nation of Taklakot. Beyond the western edge of Fernmost lie the Mountains of Morn, which overlook the infamous ‘deadlands’. There stands the forbidden city of Gyanima and the blasted wasteland of Desolation Valley, which was the heart of the kingdom. Centuries ago, Shasarak came to the people of Taklakot as a wise Shianti, though he had turned from the path of goodness long before, refusing the exile that the goddess Ishir had demanded of his people. Because of the forbidden secrets that he unlocked for the race of Taklakot, a great calamity befell them. Great fires rushed through the kingdom and destroyed an entire civilization in a day. Only Shasarak survived, though he was horribly crippled and burnt. Many say that the dead spirits of Taklakot roam the Forest of Fernmost to this day, seeking vengeance and taking it upon any who enter the forest.

Samu’s words and example seem to work. Gradually the Guildsmen move forward towards the forest. At last all are following the broad trail west, deep into the gloom of the forest. You lead the army into the deepening shadow. The forest shelters an eerie feeling of malice. A grey mist lingers upon the ground and the branches and leaves above form a sombre, green canopy that blots out the sky. There is a strange musty smell in the air. The army are ordered into various positions along the forest’s edge to watch for the advance of the Shadakine host you left at the River Dosar. They are completely hidden by the tangled woods and thick undergrowth. Sado tells you he is grateful that you did not ask the army to journey any further into Fernmost, for, as you draw closer to its heart, a strange, watchful presence can be felt.

With a delighted cry you notice clumps of Laumspur, a healing herb, growing in abundance. You chew on the herb and its goodness restores 4 ENDURANCE points. You may store another clump of Laumspur in your Backpack: it will restore 4 ENDURANCE points when chewed.

Endurance: 47/50.

Your trained eye quickly perceives that many unusual plants grow in the forest, some of which are of immense use to your Theurgical powers. The army is well equipped and you are able to borrow many vials from a healer. While Sado and his men watch for the approach of the Shadakine Army, you pass the day searching for various herbs and preparing potions. It is evening by the time you have finished. You have the choice of making and keeping any of the following items for future use. Remember that your Herb Pouch can hold up to eight items, and any other potions may be stored in your Backpack.
  • 2 Potions of Laumspur (Each Potion restores up to 6 ENDURANCE points when swallowed before or after combat. One potion equals one dose.)
  • 1 Potion of Alether (Increases COMBAT SKILL by 2 points when swallowed before an attack.)
  • 2 Tarama Seeds (Swallowing one seed enables a wizard to use his Wizard’s Staff or Magical Power without losing any WILLPOWER points. They take up no room in your Herb Pouch or Backpack.)
  • 1 Calacena Potion (A useful aid to the casting of spells of Enchantment.)
  • 1 Potion of Mustow (Creates a foul, choking gas.)
  • 1 Potion of Temeris (Allows a wizard to teleport to any place he desires.)
  • 1 Potion of Ezeran Acid (A metal-eating acid.)
You return to the army laden with useful aids for your struggle. They seem to be more relaxed about the Forest of Fernmost, although you still sense a strange presence somewhere in the centre of the forest.

The entire day passes without any sign of the Shadakine. The army are well ensconced in defensive positions around the edges of the forest. Your sleep that night proves extremely restful, restoring 4 ENDURANCE and 3 WILLPOWER points. The following day there is still no sign of the Shadakine Army. A tense, uneasy silence descends on the men: they are anxious to fight. That night you are awakened by the crooning call of voices that beckon you.

Unable to resist, you rise and follow the sound deep into the forest. As you walk among the impenetrable shadows, you hear, mingled with the calls, the mournful creak of trees, whose branches have been stirred by a newly-risen wind. You become aware of a sickly yellow glow deeper in the wood. You walk towards it, treading a path that leads up a steep hill of craggy, moss-covered stone. At the top of the hill are seven hulking shapes, tall as trees, wreathed in yellow light. The light reminds you of the yellow light of the Kazim Stones, instruments of truth and torture, power and possession, belonging to the Shadakine Wytches. A wave of panic grows inside you. The crooning is emanating from the tall forms within the halos of light, only now the words of the song are distinct:
    We are the Kazim, masters of truth,
    Wielders of power, steadfast in sooth,
    Lost are our stone hearts to the evil of the night,
    Clutched by the dark one, stealer of light,
    We wait for the Grey One, foe of the dark,
    Heralding battle, to regain our hearts.
Endurance: 50/50.
Willpower: 38.
  1. What do we take? What do we leave?
  2. Do we attack them or just approach them?

Backpack:
  1. Shasarak's Tome
  2. Pestle and Mortar
  3. Potion of Healing (+4 EP)
  4. Meal
  5. Meal
  6. Coil of Rope

7. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP - can be moved to herb pouch)
    Herb Pouch:
  1. Vial of Karmo (This potion, when taken before combat, will double your ENDURANCE and WILLPOWER point totals for the duration of the combat. After taking the potion you must pick a number from the Random Number Table. The number that you pick equals the number of ENDURANCE points that you lose due to the side effects (0 = zero).)
  2. Vial
  3. Vial of Saltpetre
  4. Vial of Sulphur
  5. Vial
  6. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP - can be moved to backpack)
  7. Azawood Leaf
  8. Sealed Pouch of Calacena Mushrooms

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Drop two vials, vial of salpetre, vial of sulphur, and azawood leaf. Take 2 Tarama Seeds, 2 Potions of Laumspur, and Potion of Ezeran Acid.

Approach the rightful owners of the Kazim Stones.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

quote:

We wait for the Grey One, foe of the dark, 
Heralding battle, to regain our hearts.

These dudes are friendly. Approach.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Similar idea, but I like being prepared more than I think we need eighty billion endurance.
Drop two vials, vial of salpetre, vial of sulphur, and azawood leaf. Take 2 Tarama Seeds, Potion of Mustow, Potion of Tamaris, and Potion of Ezeran Acid.

anakha posted:

These dudes are friendly. Approach.
Also this.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s walk up to these cool dudes. I can only assume it’s an instafail if we attack them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Get rid of the junk instead of stuff that might still be useful - drop the two meals and coiled rope to free four backpack slots.

Fill those four slots with Alether, Mustow, Temeris, and Ezeran potions. Take the two Tarama seeds.

Trade the +4ep potions for the +6ep potions.

Trade the calacena mushrooms for the calacena potion.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 17, 2019

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jackard posted:

Get rid of the junk instead of stuff that might still be useful - drop the two meals and coiled rope to free four backpack slots.

Fill those four slots with Alether, Mustow, Temeris, and Ezeran potions. Take the two Tarama seeds.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Jackard posted:

And approach.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Jackard posted:

Approach the rightful owners of the Kazim Stones.

Do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

With quaking heart, you ascend the hill. You stand at the top in a circle of stone forms with the indistinct features of men. Their voices murmur in a haunting, faraway whisper.

‘He comes … the Grey One comes … ’

‘Does he bear the key … the Masterstone … our salvation?’

‘Who are you?’ you shout into the darkness. The whispering subsides and one voice speaks to you.

‘We are the Kazim, the Stone peoples. Old as the earth. We have waited.’

‘For what?’

‘For the bearer of the Masterstone to set us free from this hill that we might claim back what was once ours. We seek our hearts that the Dark One stole from us long ago.’

A glimmer of realization dawns in your mind. ‘Who?’ you ask, urgently. ‘Who stole your hearts?’

‘He who calls himself Shasarak, sundered and shameful brother of the Shianti.’

The Kazim Stones of the Shadakine Wytches must be the hearts of these poor, forlorn creatures. Trapped and heartless upon this hill they have waited for you to free them. ‘But how?’ you ask the Kazim.

‘You must have the key or we would not have awakened from our sleep of centuries and felt your presence here in the forest. You are the bearer of the Masterstone. Take it out and free us as the Shianti promised.’

They must mean the Moonstone. Long ago the Shianti must have promised to free the Kazim out of shame for the actions of their renegade Shianti brother. Now you have come to fulfil that promise for them. The Kazim mentioned regaining their hearts. If they are successful, they rob Shasarak’s most powerful servants of their power. The separate threads of the story fall into place as the ancient plans of the Shianti finally come to fruition. You draw out the Moonstone. Though you have not exerted any power upon it, it is shining with a blinding white light of its own. The seven Kazim roar with pleasure as the rays of the Moonstone touch their rocky bodies, and then they begin to move, stretching their craggy limbs after centuries of sleep.

One of the Kazim speaks to you. ‘We thank you,’ it says. ‘But you must go now, back to your people. Their enemy approaches, bringing with them an enemy of ours. We will come soon, when we are fully ready and restored to life. Hurry. Battle begins.’

In the distance you can hear the sound of many voices shouting. The Shadakine must have attacked by night. You whirl around and dash down the hill, heading towards the sound of battle.

With all the speed you can muster, you rush towards the fray. When you arrive, all is in darkness and confusion. You hear swords clashing in the shadows at the edge of the forest but you cannot see who is fighting whom.
Shall we create a light from our staff, keep running toward the fighting, or search for Sado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
”Let there be light!”