Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Grand Fromage posted:

I never met a Chinese person who'd read Romance. :v:

That's actually stunning to me since I read it when I was eight, along with Investiture of the Gods which isn't counted among the four great novels but is still pretty popular (and they also keep making TV series of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there some sort of command i have to push to tell a unit to "do this thing please and dont not do this thing" cause holy gently caress do my guys disengage for no apparent reason really often. i auto-resolve large battles at this point because the sheer volume of babysitting i have to do completely ruins it. i am aware of what guard mode is and i basically dont use it, it makes no difference

happens completely non-stop with cavalry. charge them into one of 17 groups of archers, kill 3 or so, and then they just stand still. i find groups of shock cavalry being shot to death by archers three feet away all the loving time

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 14, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
So if I'm rolling a multi-warlord army, do I want to color-code my retinue or mix and match? It's old gameplay habit for me to group all infantry to 1, archers to 2, cav on the wings to 3 and 4, and misc units to 5, but I'm not sure if there's a bonus or a benefit to keeping a variety of units (instead of all of a type) to a single warlord.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Units always get the effects of the general who recruited them. In-battle hotkey groups are purely for your convenience. Do it as you like.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Nice, thanks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Promethium posted:

That's actually stunning to me since I read it when I was eight, along with Investiture of the Gods which isn't counted among the four great novels but is still pretty popular (and they also keep making TV series of it).

The only Chinese friends I have who read at all ever were in my writing group. Romance wasn't special, Chinese people just seem to generally be as apathetic about reading as everybody else. I had some nerd students who read a lot but mostly history books. The only novels I ever saw desks at school were translated western books except for the month the nerds were reading Liu Cixin.

Now that I've been thinking about it I did have one student who, like me, read a small part of Romance and got too bored to soldier on.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Grand Fromage posted:

except for the month the nerds were reading Liu Cixin.

Three Body Problem owned actually :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beamed posted:

Three Body Problem owned actually :colbert:

I'm reading it right now shut up!

The nerds were my favorite students I meant no insult.

One of them had a stack of books on his desk one day that he managed to find on Taobao and was teaching himself Koine Greek. Good kids. I had no idea Chinese to Koine Greek self-teaching materials even existed but I can confirm they do.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 14, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Verviticus posted:

is there some sort of command i have to push to tell a unit to "do this thing please and dont not do this thing" cause holy gently caress do my guys disengage for no apparent reason really often. i auto-resolve large battles at this point because the sheer volume of babysitting i have to do completely ruins it. i am aware of what guard mode is and i basically dont use it, it makes no difference

happens completely non-stop with cavalry. charge them into one of 17 groups of archers, kill 3 or so, and then they just stand still. i find groups of shock cavalry being shot to death by archers three feet away all the loving time

Units will not seek out melee combat unless ordered to do so, or if they are engaged in melee by an enemy.

You **might** be able to use shift to give sequential attack orders though, but I’ve never really tried. I know you can use shift to combine a sequence of move orders followed by an attack order.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

Romance does allow for some very degenerate strategies e.g. generals as a killsquad gang or the trebuchet danger close tank
Ran into another degenerate romance strategy - the indirect suicide bombing, in which you suicide legendary strategist (extra lives required) whos a close family member and/or oathsworn to your other generals for a giant healbomb and then a 70% damage boost.

LOL at 10K damage hero running around.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think it is very cool that the devs created 2 game modes so that people could either have their semi realistic historical game or their super crazy hero brawl within the same general game framework. Whoever made that call deserves a raise.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
why does the game show capture chances when you're attacking a town? isn't it supposed to be a guaranteed kill on all the generals?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly people underrate the value of generals in records mode as combat units, too. They don't have their unique special moves but they do still get some pretty awesome equipment that gives them crazy useful buffs like Zheng Jiang's "no stamina loss" axes (which is an even bigger deal in Records) or Lu Bu's "I'm goddamn invincible" armour. Even regular generals tend to have extremely good stats on their unit and they're all cavalry so they're going to be very good hammers throughout the entire campaign.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly people underrate the value of generals in records mode as combat units, too. They don't have their unique special moves but they do still get some pretty awesome equipment that gives them crazy useful buffs like Zheng Jiang's "no stamina loss" axes (which is an even bigger deal in Records) or Lu Bu's "I'm goddamn invincible" armour. Even regular generals tend to have extremely good stats on their unit and they're all cavalry so they're going to be very good hammers throughout the entire campaign.

i feel like a lot of them have stuff like charge reflect or negation floating around too. i think records generals are actually substantially better at loving up enemy cavalry vs romance ones

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish more of the events affected the AI. For example, as Liu Bei you fight Cao Cao in defense of Tao Qian and then get his land when he dies. But AI Liu Bei never does. Yuan Shao pulling a fast one on Gongsun Zan and Han Fu only happens if the player is him. Etc.

Also, I wish Lü Bu was set as the Dong’s heir. Dong Min sucks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Midgetskydiver posted:

I think it is very cool that the devs created 2 game modes so that people could either have their semi realistic historical game or their super crazy hero brawl within the same general game framework. Whoever made that call deserves a raise.

Yah this was a very good move and adds some replayability to the game for what seems like minor changes.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

lurksion posted:

Ran into another degenerate romance strategy - the indirect suicide bombing, in which you suicide legendary strategist (extra lives required) whos a close family member and/or oathsworn to your other generals for a giant healbomb and then a 70% damage boost.

I lost track of my Zhou Yu one game who got murdered by Yuan shaos army. Sun ce who was equipped with Zhang fei's weapon proceeded to murder thousands of troops on his own.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

The Cheshire Cat posted:

My only guff is that during a charge they outpace their retinue and tend to get themselves killed, but this certainly isn't a new phenomenon to total war

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i feel like every time i get a new named general, no matter what level are and how i equip them, they're never even close to as resilient as the generals i started with. xiahou dun is level 7 and can take a seemingly infinite amount of punishment, but i recently annex liu bei and used the three brothers and both zhang fei guan yu at level 6 took like 60% of their health being jabbed in the butt with spears for two seconds

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 15, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

i feel like every time i get a new named general, no matter what level are and how i equip them, they're never even close to as resilient as the generals i started with. xiahou dun is level 7 and can take a seemingly infinite amount of punishment, but i recently annex liu bei and used the three brothers and both zhang fei guan yu at level 6 took like 60% of their health being jabbed in the butt with spears for two seconds

Do they still have their unique equipment? A large part of the best characters power comes from those. I don't think they can lose their armour, but sometimes the AI likes to nab their other stuff.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah they're fully loaded

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I see alot of time traits like lame on the generals i get later. I assume the AI let them get injured. Maybe some of the injuries makes them weaker?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Is Cao Cao fun to play in records? I feel like that should be his mode to shine but haven’t tried it yet.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

lurksion posted:

Sounds like something that adherents of the azure sky are forced to do :agesilaus:
Embrace the new age and enjoy absurd multiple use area 30k heal and often available regen skill.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

lurksion posted:

In that sort of political soap opera, it feels appropriate to pull a Patroclus. In fact, the player should be rewarded for pulling a Patroclus. Guan Yu is sulking in his tent and needs to be reminded to pull his weight during battle.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Records mode is weird after playing Romance a bunch. The generals seem way stronger in Records, but they're vulnerable to non-general units. It's like Shogun, your general can get shot to death, but if he isn't shot to death, he may well kill 20x his unit size if he gets behind the battle lines.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Si9X396TA

Time for the Jin to rip itself apart.

EDIT: They took the video down, but yeah we're getting the War of Eight Princes.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Looks like there's a beta patch out

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
And the DLCs store page is up too.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1102310/Total_War_THREE_KINGDOMS__Eight_Princes/

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnRSGkfHpO0

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

$8 seems more than reasonable for a different campaign to play through a few times. Also presumably there will be new assets and systems that can be used for modding either campaign.

I still feel like a lot of people want more crammed into the base campaign, though. I wonder if that’s what the freeLC will be aimed at. That makes sense to me for some reason.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

litany of gulps posted:

Records mode is weird after playing Romance a bunch. The generals seem way stronger in Records, but they're vulnerable to non-general units. It's like Shogun, your general can get shot to death, but if he isn't shot to death, he may well kill 20x his unit size if he gets behind the battle lines.

Yea generals are sill pretty beefy in Records, I just wish they would still poo poo talk each other. Battles feel so quiet with it, tough to lose that from Romance mode.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hoping we get a Xiongnu/nomad style faction with this new DLC.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I really wasn't expecting the War of 8 Princes to ever be covered, so this is rather unique. And yea, if we're heading into the Jin era then barbarian factions start to become inportant.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I suspect the first guy with the Xiliang trooos will be that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hmm, interesting choice for a DLC. I'd rather they just added more uniques to the campaign (Cao Pi, Pang De, Huang Gai, lookin' at you) but I guess it wouldn't be too hard for a modder to backport the unique models and portraits from 8 Princes and just assign them to some of the generics in the 3 Kingdoms era.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 16, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hmm, interesting choice for a DLC. I'd rather they just added more uniques to the campaign (Cao Pi, Pang De, Huang Gai, lookin' at you) but I guess it wouldn't be too hard for a modder to backport the unique models and portraits from 8 Princes and just assign them to some of the generics in the 3 Kingdoms era.

There already is a mod that adds a bazillion unquies from Dynasty Warriors, I think it even let’s you specifically choose which of the 98 you want.

But I’m with you, I’d pay for dlc that adds more unquie characters/portraits to the main game. Really it needs one for the 2nd generation after everyone dies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CA official forums thinks: these Sima princes are too hot, where are the hot women (who aren’t allowed to be generals) for CA’s male audience?

Also, accompanying FLC to be announced on the first of august

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 16, 2019

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Obviously the Empress Jia is going to be hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Captain Beans posted:

But I’m with you, I’d pay for dlc that adds more unquie characters/portraits to the main game. Really it needs one for the 2nd generation after everyone dies.

:agreed: