Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

People forget that all of these space games are being made by indie studios with small budgets. While they can have some cool gameplay, they’re always going to be small and narrow experiences for a niche audience, not the be-all-end-all modern AAA space sim that everyone is still hoping for.

Call of Duty tried it a few years ago, and while they were in a race to release before Star Citizen because they thought there was actually a race, they did, and discovered the amazing fact that "there's not much of a market here for this kind of game".

That will inevitably be what befalls Squadron 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

monkeytek posted:

Let's all reflect on the fact that after 8 years NASA met the challenge posed by Kennedy to walk on the moon. Let's also reflect on the fact that after 8 years CIG has still not been able to meet the challenge posed by Roberts of having doors that do not insta-kill you.

Yeah but NASA had access to a whole team of German super-engineers who'd built the engines they were using

Hey, wait a minute...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

I don't know what's more broken - the latest patch or Bored Gamer

"there's some good points on paper for it" is not The Best drat Space Simulator Ever. Someone rescind his streaming credentials and give them to the Rexshilla chappy.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

monkeytek posted:

Let's all reflect on the fact that after 8 years NASA met the challenge posed by Kennedy to walk on the moon. Let's also reflect on the fact that after 8 years CIG has still not been able to meet the challenge posed by Roberts of having doors that do not insta-kill you.

On one hand, Apollo 1 did have a killer door bug, but they fixed that pretty quick.

(And now I feel bad for joking about that...)

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

On one hand, Apollo 1 did have a killer door bug, but they fixed that pretty quick.

(And now I feel bad for joking about that...)

You could make an argument that there was not enough Argon.

*Now I feel bad :(

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1AmtYHeC30

:tif:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

You could make an argument that there was not enough Argon.

*Now I feel bad :(

That's rich, not talking about the oxygen.

I'mmmmmm going to hell.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

his nibs posted:

I don't know what's more broken - the latest patch or Bored Gamer

His suffering nourishes my blackened soul.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Strangler 42 posted:

His suffering nourishes my blackened soul.

:eyepop:

What a username/post combo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

JugbandDude posted:

That dude is definitely the SC dark knight, need a repost of the pic.

Star Citizen's Dark Knight posted:

Hopefully this doesn't get me on probation, so, here goes:

Star Citizen has its fair share of White Knights, those who would stand up with CIG and protect it against all those who would seek to tear it down.
But recently those attacks have grown to be more vicious and aggressive than ever before, which presents us with a question:
Does Star Citizen need, therefore, a Dark Knight?

Does Star Citizen need, or deserve him?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah but NASA had access to a whole team of German super-engineers who'd built the engines they were using

Hey, wait a minute...

:great:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

It's almost as if BG can't seem to figure out a "correct pitch" for the current state of SC.... :confused:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Covered head to toe, hiding identity: Check
Implied violence by holding AR-15: Check
Clenched fist denoting righteous anger: Check
Looking down and away, hiding inability to make eye contact because of sever inferiority complex: Check
CIG branded clothing, denoting poor taste and financial decisions: Check
Poorly painted background and 60's era tiles on floor, basement dweller: Check

Yup all signs point to a socially maladjusted male looking to prove they are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:eyepop:

What a username/post combo

Would work even better with this AV, imo

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1151208799132241920

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

"there's some good points on paper for it" is not The Best drat Space Simulator Ever. Someone rescind his streaming credentials and give them to the Rexshilla chappy.

Bored's inability to spit Redbull over his keyboard mid-stream has surely already rendered him useless as a worthy content creator

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

i still have no idea what this cazzmon lore is.
but i do know that you can no longer get your money back from star citizen

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

gently caress Yooooooouuuuuuu

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

BG activates FOIP and stands on a ramp - a man who likes to live dangerously. Of course the FOIP starts making it look like his avatar is having a stroke and after a small delay his legs break and he dies on the ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PvQB3n5Va0&t=6095s

His verdict: "There are some problems with 3.6.0"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I made it thru the part where he conceded that CIG hyped Salvage and Land Claims — before they vanished completely from the Roadmap. Erin himself flacked their upcoming salvage mechanic in one of those hard hitting interviews Bored conducts a couple years back. You know, the ones where Bored asks for “blue sky thinking” before helpfully adding, “I’m not going to hold you to it.”

No point in watching the whole thing — we’ll get multiple installments down the road.

skeletors_condom posted:

It's almost as if BG can't seem to figure out a "correct pitch" for the current state of SC.... :confused:

When life gives you a dumpster fire, why not toast marshmallows and sell some s’mores?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Peter.Quint posted:

BG activates FOIP and stands on a ramp - a man who likes to live dangerously. Of course the FOIP starts making it look like his avatar is having a stroke and after a small delay his legs break and he dies on the ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PvQB3n5Va0&t=6095s

His verdict: "There are some problems with 3.6.0"

:five:
death by ramps never gets old

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

his nibs posted:

Bored's inability to spit Redbull over his keyboard mid-stream has surely already rendered him useless as a worthy content creator

He should go for a deal with Dilmah Tea instead.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dark Off posted:

LOL I think my posts have turned invisible.

Thanks to Peter.Quint for pointing out the death by ramp, I don't think I noticed it.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

EDIT LOL I went back and watched a bit more. He moans about the hover mode (it does look awful) and then he gets killed by the ramp on his Cutlass Black

:laffo:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dark Off posted:

I had no idea ramps truly are that dangerous!

I feel bad for "that's him in the wheelchair" guy, he must surly take death defying chances multiple times a day.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 16, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Bored takes the plunge and plays some Star Citizen 3.6 (action starts around 11.38)

He farts around trying to buy a spacesuit and equip his weapons. Good times.

Couple of things leap out - firstly, the absolutely brain dead AI repeating the same lines over and over. Whatever Tony Z and his crew are doing, I'd suggest they stop immediately, throw it all in the bin, and start over.

Secondly, the shopping experience (in a space game, LOL) is still awful. CIG are seemingly unable to reskin armour/spacesuits in a colour of your choice on the fly - instead, every single colour variant of the item is listed. I don't know whether this is symptomatic of some underlying problem with the architecture, or just bad design - obviously, this being CIG, both could simultaneously be true.

Thirdly, the citizenry in the comments are predictably right on message:

If anyone fancies picking up the baton and watching the rest of it, go ahead - I've had enough already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PvQB3n5Va0

EDIT LOL I went back and watched a bit more. He moans about the hover mode (it does look awful) and then he gets killed by the ramp on his Cutlass Black

:laffo:

If the ramp death is the one I think it is, it can be found around timestamp 1:42:25. I guess the game just wanted to ramp up the tension :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

I had no idea ramps truly are that dangerous!

A ramp is a kind of door.

I know, mind blown....

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

We had a customer (this is at a different place, a small shop where I worked on Saturdays mainly before the proper job) called Cliff, he was in his 80s I reckon, and he used to bring his PC to us in one of those 2 wheeled shopping carriers that old folk love, he drag it to the shop, PC bouncing around all the way and every time it was because of an issue with his hard drive, it always needed scan disking to write out corrupt sectors.
So, we'd do that and he'd pick it up, always delighted that we'd fixed it. He never once paid us any money, instead he'd give us 'gifts' - We did the work cos we felt bad really, so it was OK. I remember he 'paid' us once with a jar of marmalade and a loving potato.
We'd act surprised and happy, and he'd be on his way.
He'd pack his PC up in his trolley and wander off, PC bouncing away behind him, and a couple of weeks later the cycle began anew.

last name richard? Pgabz what have you done? You destroyed the evidence!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

last name richard? Pgabz what have you done? You destroyed the evidence!

The potato was packed with high grade Afghani white.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

:reddit: posted:

The new system includes hover mode like a helicopter.

Actually, he's not wrong, at least to my eyes - it does seem currently to be a sort of helicopter style landing approach, where you pat your head and rub your stomach to get the bird down on the deck.

I'm sure this is entirely accidental of course and it will be dialled in in future patches it won't be dialled in in future patches, this is as good as it gets, gently caress you space nerds

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
welcome to brokebrain mountain

with these text-walls how does the reddit crowd ever have the time to play stair citizen

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 16, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Bumble He posted:

with these text-walls how can the reddit crowd ever have the time to play stair citizen

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Bumble He posted:

with these text-walls how can the reddit crowd ever have the time to play stair citizen

They don't play Store Citizer - they project their fantasies, dreams and insecurities onto it.

God forbid it ever releases - 6,000 die hard space nerds will immediately self combust.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Titanic posted:

Call of Duty tried it a few years ago, and while they were in a race to release before Star Citizen because they thought there was actually a race, they did, and discovered the amazing fact that "there's not much of a market here for this kind of game".

That will inevitably be what befalls Squadron 42.

But but but... SQ42 is an open world ! With thousands of hours of content ? Didn't you get the memo ?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
goddamit i am curious how this whole thing ends.

a) supernova scale disaster
b) stellar sucess (lol)
c) the whole projects gets sucked into a blackhole and gone it is
d) it won't and i'll hang out here forever (whelp)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Bumble He posted:

b) stellar sucess (lol)

It ends like the universe ends mate - not with a bang but with a whimper.

There's a hardcore of space nerds and whales keeping this nonsense afloat but they can't amount to more than 5,000-6,000 at most - I'm not sure even the most vociferous defenders on :reddit: would be included in their number, after all, belligerent talk is cheap but it takes serious amounts of whale oil to keep the lights on at CIG.

You can see the seeds of the end game already being sown - "we tried so hard but the technology was against us - so here's the single player game and have fun in the sandbox MMO we made for you, byeeeeee!!!"

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

I saw a guy wearing this same sweatshirt, without the rest of the tactilol getup, at PAX one year. Walked right up to him and asked "how much are you in for, commando?" He chuckled and said, "enough" and walked away.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bumble He posted:

b) stellar sucess (lol)

Squadron 42 fails to release on time, or releases as a disaster. Either way it doesn't sell any copies.
Chris announces they're scaling back operations but don't worry the game is definitely still coming out! This is code for "We're laying off all but the last dozen people and it's never coming out" without actually admitting this.
The fan base quietly evaporates. If any of them can be pinned down at all, they claim victory- Star Citizen did what it set out to do, it revolutionized PC gaming!
About two years after "Scaling back," the servers and store finally shut off entirely. Nobody cares.

I will toxx on all of this

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I'm one of the people that expect this to go out with a bang. Something catastrophic is going to happen, like a lawsuit or a government/bank seizure or something and then pledging freezes and they'll admit that they are flat broke, offices are padlocked, employees are unceremoniously fired. One day I'm going to wake up to thousands of unread posts and the brown sea will be ablaze. It will trend on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I think it will go out with a bang but i also think citizens will claim victory or quietly vanish. Or at most, they'll say 'drat you, goons, you killed star citizen! You did this! Yooooooou!!'