Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sega See D posted:

I bought the game again after not playing since launch (I was crazy for it at launch but haven’t played any of the updates). I’m following the story and enjoying it, but I’m kind of thrown by the pacing. Specifically, I’ve played for eight or so hours and the story doesn’t seem to want me to actually explore much, I’ve only been to three or four systems. If I gently caress off and look for some kool new planets, will I have to backtrack to quest objectives in the first few systems, or will things like holotowers spawn in the new systems?

It seems weird to me that a game with trillions of planets wouldn’t encourage you to truck through space by making new quest objectives keep spawning in the next system over, keeping you moving.

Hey I was in this exact boat a couple of months ago. Some missions can be reset to your location but I think you have to be some amount of distance from the system you picked them up in for the story missions.

There's the teleporter thing on space stations though so you can just hop back to anywhere you've been. I think there's some criteria for accessing it but I don't recall what exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thundarr posted:

The luck comes when your first (freebie) freighter rescue is for an A or S ranked super class freighter.
I preordered so that's not even luck :viggo:
lmbo i misread this as ship

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 17, 2019

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I haven't played since NEXT first came out and I started a new game, just got to the point where you are offered the freighter (which I took).

Thing is, I accidentally chose "free explore" at the end of the tutorial where it gives you the option to continue on, and I don't know if I can continue down the main story path now.

I don't really mind it, I think I played through the story in creative mode back when NEXT came out, but did I just lock myself out of it in "normal" mode?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You should be able to pick up the story path next time you come across the Anomaly, which if there's a community event on you can prompt by selecting that mission then scanning while in orbit.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Quick question: If I find a ruined spaceship on a planet and add it to my collection, will it appear in my freighter later if I don't fix the launch thrusters and pulse engine?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Black Griffon posted:

Quick question: If I find a ruined spaceship on a planet and add it to my collection, will it appear in my freighter later if I don't fix the launch thrusters and pulse engine?

Yes.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Careful though, you only get 6 spaceship slots in your freighter, and can't sell or scrap any ship, only replace it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Speaking of replacing/trading in ships, will the value of my salvaged ship increase if I fix it up? Even out bulkheads and whatnot? I'd test it out for myself, but I don't have enough resources to fix anything on this old bin I've found.
Edit: Also, I adore ugly ships so much. This thicc lil' dumbass, my new main ship, is surprisingly agile and roomy.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 17, 2019

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Black Griffon posted:

Speaking of replacing/trading in ships, will the value of my salvaged ship increase if I fix it up? Even out bulkheads and whatnot? I'd test it out for myself, but I don't have enough resources to fix anything on this old bin I've found.
Edit: Also, I adore ugly ships so much. This thicc lil' dumbass, my new main ship, is surprisingly agile and roomy.

No, the biggest coup early game is getting just the pulse engines of a 48 slot crashed freighter working, then trade it for a legit goof ship at a massive discount.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Blindeye posted:

No, the biggest coup early game is getting just the pulse engines of a 48 slot crashed freighter working, then trade it for a legit goof ship at a massive discount.

Oh poo poo, where do I find crashed freighters? I assume it's not the ones literally broken in half on planet surfaces.
Edit: wait, not capital class freighters, duh never mind.
Edit 2: or??

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think they mean haulers

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's rare but you can sometimes find an A or S rank hauler crashed on a planet. Since inventory size is by far the mostly heavily weighted when it comes to deciding how much a ship is worth, it's basically a free 100 mil towards any ship trade you want.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I don't think I have ever seen a 48 slot ship post Next. :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I picked up two at space stations, but they have to be A or S rank haulers with one of two or maybe three wing types. Finding a system with the right sort of ship and then waiting for a high rank clone of it to land is... pretty boring to be honest. I've never personally had that much luck with crashed ships but I assume they exist if you win the rng lottery.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Party Boat posted:

I think they mean haulers

Whoops, yeah. I found a busted c-rank 48 slot and it helped a ton as a flying coupon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just saw there were some other updates like "Abyss" and "Vision" and I haven't played these yet. Is it worth it now to jump back in? Assuming planet gen gets updated again, it should be enough to just go to another system right?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've completely forgotten about how the story stuff affects anything; am I locked out of something if I follow Atlas or can I do everything eventually?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

I've completely forgotten about how the story stuff affects anything; am I locked out of something if I follow Atlas or can I do everything eventually?

I think you can do everything eventually? Completing Atlas/Artmis or whatever the hell it was called just lets you jump to a new galaxy where you can pick the seed factor (peaceful, hostile, crazy). Of course I think this kicks out out of the starting / main galaxy so you lost almost all player contact (of which there’s barely any but still)n

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

From what I gathered after some googling, the "choice" mattered more at release.

Anyway, I just have to say that my absolute favorite thing right now is summoning my freighter in atmosphere. Seeing it warp in and just look collosal in the sky reminds me of the Adama Manouver.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

flying near and around freighters is going to be loving dope in VR.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have they made improvements to the exocrafts? I recall it being kinda annoying that they were tied to a base structure (one you can drop anyways, but still). I’d love if they could be deployed from your freighter (give me exo drops) or attach them to your ship.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Have they made improvements to the exocrafts? I recall it being kinda annoying that they were tied to a base structure (one you can drop anyways, but still). I’d love if they could be deployed from your freighter (give me exo drops) or attach them to your ship.

Nope but that is a dope idea that I wish they'd look into, however unlikely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's always been dumb that the exocraft are so expensive to deploy. At the very least they should be something you can throw together with a few minutes of farming, at best they should be permanent unlocks you can summon at will.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Or maybe build once each, then just have to recreate a pad for much less resources as much as you want in order to summon it (but cost nothing to summon from the pad)

At the very least that would give each kind a bit more of a personality

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Being able to either drop them or carry them with your ship would be extremely good. What I truly, truly want is to hop in a rover, remote control my ship from the cabin and do a god drat Aliens APC style drop.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

HiroProtagonist posted:

Or maybe build once each, then just have to recreate a pad for much less resources as much as you want in order to summon it (but cost nothing to summon from the pad)

At the very least that would give each kind a bit more of a personality

That's basically how it works now

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Deploying an exocraft pad costs resources but now at least you get all those resources back when you deconstruct it. Basically so long as you have the required resources on hand you get unlimited exocraft deployment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

3 posted:

Deploying an exocraft pad costs resources but now at least you get all those resources back when you deconstruct it. Basically so long as you have the required resources on hand you get unlimited exocraft deployment.

You'd have to go back to where you placed the pad to desconstruct it, though. Right?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Alpine Mustache posted:

That's basically how it works now

Is it? I must be a loving idiot because I never built more than one, expecting it to be just planetbound. Welp

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You'd have to go back to where you placed the pad to desconstruct it, though. Right?

I just spawn the pad, summon the craft, then immediately deconstruct it. Once there's an exocraft active on the planet you can use the summon menu to bring it to you wherever. You do have to do this for every planet you land on, but you don't need the pad to summon your exocraft once it's already out and about.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

HiroProtagonist posted:

Is it? I must be a loving idiot because I never built more than one, expecting it to be just planetbound. Welp

You build the individual exocraft things once anywhere, then there's a generic summoning station you can build that will let you summon any exocraft (for which you have the original things built).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I hope that Beyond adds more unimpressed looking aliens I can goof around in front of.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

stupid idiot game, I love it

The way bipedals walk, like they're really late for an appointment, is just the best.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress I really wanna play this again but I feel like I have to wait for the new update to get the best "wow this game has changed a lot" experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:same:

I want to start a new game but I’m not gonna do that without my Rift strapped to my face

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Black Griffon posted:

stupid idiot game, I love it

The way bipedals walk, like they're really late for an appointment, is just the best.

I really dig those screenshots. How many hours of game did you put in to find those cool worlds. I always start on random planet X with hell storms and just kinda sigh and give up. I absolutely adore this game in theory but only play for 8 minutes at a time before giving up.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think I've spent twenty hours or something on this save? I'm not that far along in terms of progression, but I've got enough gear and resources to explore comfortably, and if I find a planet I like the look of, I'll usually stick around to find as many animals as I can. In general, I just enjoy long walks on moderately hazardous planets and a cold drink of pure oxygen.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:same:

I want to start a new game but I’m not gonna do that without my Rift strapped to my face

Same same, but it's an overheating phone in a dumpster-daydream, with two more overheating phones as controllers for when the DD controller dies at 73% battery.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

More wildlife photography.

Also, I finally found a place to settle down. Turns out I was looking for space-Norway the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

chaosapiant posted:

...but only play for 8 minutes at a time before giving up.

there's your problem there. you could even just go into creative mode if you just wanted to find interesting planets

it's not hard to find beautiful vistas in nms. My favourite are moons of ringed planets