Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DalaranJ posted:

[Tell] me about how to run a TTRPG at a con.

Specifically, I want to run one or more at a con next year. It’s a relatively small con with a board game focus, so format and any ticketing or anything would be on me.

Pre-generated characters, and a quick guide to how to do things in the system are a must.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Pre-generated characters, and a quick guide to how to do things in the system are a must.
To expand on this, try to make one-page reference sheets for everyone. Assume people will be coming in with no knowledge of whatever it is you're running.

Have an adventure with a straightforward goal, maybe a twist partway though, and a definite ending

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

To expand on this, try to make one-page reference sheets for everyone. Assume people will be coming in with no knowledge of whatever it is you're running.

Have an adventure with a straightforward goal, maybe a twist partway though, and a definite ending

Yeah, someone had 5e there this year, and no one playing even knew that. The games I’m going to run are going to be completely new to everyone.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Plutonis posted:

I can't find the japanese trpg thread but Kamiya Ryo is making an ERP module for Call of Cthulhu and the cover is really what I expected it to be
The only one thread I know is archived
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485203

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Are ERP modules you know, a thing?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Zurui posted:

Look into your heart and you'll know the answer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zurui posted:

Cmon dude everyone knows about the Scroll of Swallowed Darkness

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thirding/fourthing cheat sheets. Constructive criticism available if desired. Also everything will take twice as long as you think it will, plan your time slot and adventure accordingly.

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, someone had 5e there this year, and no one playing even knew that. The games I’m going to run are going to be completely new to everyone.
Are we talking a rich untapped vein to induct into actually good games without having to work through the taint of D&D, or are we talking a bunch of 3.x probable lost causes, or are we talking the left leaning swing voter option that is 4e?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

Thirding/fourthing cheat sheets. Constructive criticism available if desired. Also everything will take twice as long as you think it will, plan your time slot and adventure accordingly.

Except when it doesn’t and they somehow magically blaze through everything or intuit your mystery on the first guess or whatever. Always have extra content you can fill with (or well some half assed ideas you can riff off of), but also kill your darlings and be willing to drop stuff at a moment’s notice. Fundamentally you’re doing improv so you want to be prepared but flexible.

You might wanna check out some version of a *World game that suits your genre/tone. Those basically all fit on one sheet for the basic moves and then the individual playbooks, plus the resolution system is pretty understandable. I’d love to say Blades but that has too much session zero, and The Spire has the opposite problem of too much setting out of the book.

Dungeon World or whatever the fixed up version that gnome made probably fits your bill if you want generic fantasy.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Zurui posted:

Venger Satanis wrote several for the OSR and his own sci-fi game Alpha Blue.

James Desborough wrote a tabletop RPG for the Chronicles of Gor novels. While a setting and not an adventure, it's quite clearly intended for ERP. I believe it had an adjoining module, but I do not know its name.

As for ERP modules not written by chuds, I cannot think of any off the top of my head. Pathfinder and 5e's OGLs clamp down heavily on that kind of content, which is why for D&D derived variants the OSR claims most of this territory.

There was a 3rd Edition 1 on 1 module called the Pleasure Prison of the Bthuvian Demon Whore, which itself was a parody rather than something to add to your spank bank. It's actually a joke from the Fear of Girls youtube parody.

As for non-D&D RPGs besides CthulhuTech, I cannot attest.

I should note that sexy tabletop tends to go more for sourcebooks than adventures, a la Book of Erotic Fantasy. Adventures tend to be railroady and constraining if done for ERP. This is due to the fact that lots of different people have different kinks and turn-ons, so unless said adventure is intended for a specific fetish or sub-community it has limited appeal.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 16, 2019

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There was that one really specific fetish trpg that someone F&Fed where being obscenely fat gave you superpowers. As in, you got a really fat rear end? Congratulations, you can turn invisible. Why? Shut up, that's why.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This probably doesn't count as ERP, since I don't think anyone intended for the thing to be played as erotica, but Dungeon published a BoVD tie-in module about an evil brothel in ShittyEvilburgh. The Porphyry House Horror, I think? All I remember about it is that, to nobody's surprise, it really sucked.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Splicer posted:

Are we talking a rich untapped vein to induct into actually good games without having to work through the taint of D&D, or are we talking a bunch of 3.x probable lost causes, or are we talking the left leaning swing voter option that is 4e?

I went on the less populous night, and the people who went to play D&D were the guy the DM brought along, two adults who had never played before, and two ten year olds I had just finished playing 5 minute dungeon with. I heard one other person say "Oh, D&D, I haven't played that in ten years!" The rest of the people there completely ignored the table.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm very confident in my ability to GM games from a book or from scratch or completely improvised but I can't even get my head around what running an erotic game would even look like. These are purely theoretical and written by someone who had their genitals in one hand and weren't meant to be actually played, right?

The level of shamelessness that the GM and players would have to have is really what gets me. There's this whole list of things I don't bring up in my games because I'd die of embarrassment and essentially everything an erotic game needs is on that list

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that functional erotic RPGs would either be written for two players total or require an already pretty intimate group if you know what I mean.

But I suspect most 'erotic RPGs' are written to be read alone, in actual practice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Mastermind posted:

To expand on this one year at Gencon I went to a few Beginners Welcome! No knowledge of system required! Games across a few different WoD settings. And since each one has its own gimmick I needed a crash course when it came to how to play and the GM kept rolling his eyes like how dare I not know these things. Thankfully the actual players at the tables were nice and would pause to explain things from mechanical and lore sides of things.

If you play something that has one of those "succeed at cost" systems rape is never a justifiable cost. That was the last con game I ever played in because are you loving kidding me?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that functional erotic RPGs would either be written for two players total or require an already pretty intimate group if you know what I mean.

But I suspect most 'erotic RPGs' are written to be read alone, in actual practice.

I played with groups of 4 before.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Joe Slowboat posted:

I figure that most actual ERP comes out of kink adjacent groups. Since, you know, those are the folks that are into sexual openness and role play.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Always assume there will be around a hour of people kinda dicking around, cross-talking or showing up late during your con game and plan and plot accordingly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Does Witch Girl Adventures count as ERP?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Nuns with Guns posted:

Does Witch Girl Adventures count as ERP?

This is a cursed and nightmarish question.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm just saying... it's one of the few games that really does ask if you dare enter that magical realm

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Joe Slowboat posted:

As far as I've heard, most erotic roleplaying is done with D&D 3.x/5e despite the fact the systems aren't built for anything approaching that, because wOrLD's grEateST ROlepLayIng GaME :shepface:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Hostile V posted:

Always assume there will be around a hour of people kinda dicking around, cross-talking or showing up late during your con game and plan and plot accordingly.

I've always found people to be really focused in convention games

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Fuego Fish posted:

As far as I've heard, most erotic roleplaying is done with D&D 3.x/5e despite the fact the systems aren't built for anything approaching that, because wOrLD's grEateST ROlepLayIng GaME :shepface:

There's plenty of Vampire the Masquerade ERP out there if you know where to look. LARP and otherwise, uwu.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I’ve seen excerpts from Exalted ERP and it’s incredibly terrible

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 17, 2019

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Angrymog posted:

I've always found people to be really focused in convention games
Yeah that's fair. I just mean in general if you're given X hours for your slot, plan for the worst case scenario where it has to be X-1 hours so there's leeway for stuff like people being late, having rules questions, people getting stuck on puzzles, etc.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Hostile V posted:

Yeah that's fair. I just mean in general if you're given X hours for your slot, plan for the worst case scenario where it has to be X-1 hours so there's leeway for stuff like people being late, having rules questions, people getting stuck on puzzles, etc.

Yeah, make your adventure modular so that you can do some montages and skip to the finale if time runs short. It's more frustrating to not end than it is to skip bits.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Played a con game once where we stayed on target right up until we hit the room just before the final bad guy, spent 30 minutes dicking around in that room, then finally opened the door and oneshot the boss.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
When I was scouring erotic rp forums to help a podcast there was a couple guys playing erotic tunnels and trolls. I took spite damage from reading it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wrestlepig posted:

When I was scouring erotic rp forums to help a podcast there was a couple guys playing erotic tunnels and trolls. I took spite damage from reading it.

Is this the new "to read the articles"?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

i dont think most people use a ton of mechanics in their erp

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool_of_sound posted:

Mechanisms, now...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fool_of_sound posted:

Let me tell you about the poo poo I saw in AIM chatrooms circa 2003.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

fool_of_sound posted:

You'd be wrong.

There's always someone out there who writes up fifty billion houserules or homebrews on how to properly calculate the exact volume of bodily fluids generated per round. It's like they've never even heard about storygames. Just roll +Splurt and on a 7-9

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fuego Fish posted:

You'd be wrong.

There's always someone out there who writes up fifty billion houserules or homebrews on how to properly calculate the exact volume of bodily fluids generated per round. It's like they've never even heard about storygames. Just roll +Splurt and on a 7-9
To create is not to use. Creating sex rpg rules sounds like a masturbatory exercise that obviously, some folks are willing to do. Actually being in a position to use them with other people and doing so has gotta be an order of magnitude more rare.

Serf
May 5, 2011

wotc used to run a chat room section of their site with some in-character rooms. it was great to go there and see what were obviously characters intended for erp who also had extensively detailed 3.5 statblocks and pages upon pages of backstory

i remember one person dutifully updated their prepared spells every single day

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Contrary to popular belief, nerds gently caress.

Nerds gently caress a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

You'd be wrong.

It's honestly the only situation where i'd give storygaming a wide berth.