Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I went through a whole bunch of effort only to find out that I don't really like the pre-load on these Hako Trues. I should have gotten the clears =/

I forgot that I had QMX clips on the MX blues too so it took like twice as long as I expected to get everything swapped and I broke one of the clips :(

Other than that these switches are pretty fantastic. I'm sure I'll deal once I get used to them. They're actually really nice for typing quickly and accurately if you can get past not bottoming out.
It might be in my head but it feels like some of them are a little harder to press than others. I haven't done much typing yet so I'm gonna give it a couple weeks and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The cheapo Velocifire TKL is only $24 via an Amazon lightning deal. It's 94% claimed so spitting this post out as fast as possible, in case anyone wants to try out TKL mechanical on the cheap before shelling out real money.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the Keystone (Input Club Hall effect kb) kickstarter is up https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lekashman/keystone-the-future-of-mechanical-keyboards?ref=user_menu

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been on the mailing list for this because hall effect + beam springs are like holy grails of keyswitches.

HOWEVER, the full analog thing requires very solid software support and that's not something I want to be an early adopter of. Wooting has been doing analog for a while and have good reviews of their software.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I ordered a hexgears gk707. It was $40 for an 87 key kailh hot swappable keyboard that comes with, presumably kailh, box browns. I don't know what to expect, but when it finally arrives from China I'll make sure to complain about it and possibly put zilent v2s into a $10-$20 keyboard.

All signs seem to hint that it's actually pretty good and that I won't even bother ordering overpriced zilent switches.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 17, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been hearing a lot of people say not to trust Input Club because they've been known to stop supporting projects after it's initial release.

mewse posted:

I've been on the mailing list for this because hall effect + beam springs are like holy grails of keyswitches.

HOWEVER, the full analog thing requires very solid software support and that's not something I want to be an early adopter of. Wooting has been doing analog for a while and have good reviews of their software.

I backed the Wooting One and I've been pretty happy with it - the "analog" keys might not be that useful in every-day life, but they've listened to community requests and released firmware/software updates over the years. I've been eying pricier 65% keyboards from KBD and Rama lately, but I'll always use my Wooting One for my desktop PC.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
So I just bought an Anne Pro 2 and I hate it. Is there a bluetooth capable 60% keyboard that doesn't suck rear end? Or even better, is there somewhere I can buy a mini-usb > bluetooth adapter so I can just use my pok3r as a bluetooth keyboard?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Niz keeps their BT stack up to date, BT 4/BLE, and make wonderful keyboards ... if you like their Topre-variant rubber dome mechanical switches. I like them, wish I could have them on my split ortho keyboards.

https://www.nizkeyboard.com/product/niz-2018-new-member-atom66-the-smallest-electro-capactive-bluetooth-keyboard-with-rgb/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Null of Undefined posted:

So I just bought an Anne Pro 2 and I hate it. Is there a bluetooth capable 60% keyboard that doesn't suck rear end? Or even better, is there somewhere I can buy a mini-usb > bluetooth adapter so I can just use my pok3r as a bluetooth keyboard?

I've never used one but there's a bunch of keyboard to bluetooth devices. This is one of the few that seems to be in stock:
http://handheldsci.com/kb/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

why did i google this. god drat these are beautiful

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

emdash posted:

why did i google this. god drat these are beautiful

Yeah those look gorgeous, shame they all seem to be sold out

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
well the 87-key was $420 so it's probably for the best

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah those look gorgeous, shame they all seem to be sold out

emdash posted:

well the 87-key was $420 so it's probably for the best

They open up a window for pre-orders and each release takes about 6 months before they ship. The Koyu and M60-A were a little more affordable at $350, but most of RAMA's keyboards sell for $200-$300 more on the secondary market.

When they open up pre-orders on a new 65%ish keyboard, it's going to take everything in my power not to grab one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Null of Undefined posted:

I don't know but I just wanted to chime in with how absolutely loving awful my Anne Pro was.
What a garbage loving keyboard.
Plus I'm pretty sure it was spying on me. I ran some packet collections on my network after connecting and it would not shut the gently caress up to a range of Chinese IP's from either my android phone or my laptop.
Also LOL you have to use developer mode to sideload their windows app which doesn't even work properly, you'll still have to use your android app to set is, and then reconnect it to your computer.
Also gently caress if you can get it to stay connected to one thing at a time. It would randomly drop from my laptop and try to connect to other nearby bluetooth devices that never even paired with it.
I'd have to re-load the firmware any time I wanted to change and save the colors too.
But the biggest miss besides all of this?
WHY THE gently caress DOES IT NOT HAVE REMOVABLE BATTERIES ORRRRRRRR AN OFF SWITCH?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My coworker has putout a fatwa on my wasd v2 w/ clears, claims it's too noisy. I have a single set of noname chinese orings on, and I just glued a fat slab of sound deadening rubber on the bottom, but it's still noisy.

What else should I try? I really don't want to be stuck on this lovely overpriced Logitech with its mushy keys, dozen useless extra buttons and numerical keypad which makes my shoulder hurt as my mouse ends up too far to the right.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

bolind posted:

My coworker has putout a fatwa on my wasd v2 w/ clears, claims it's too noisy. I have a single set of noname chinese orings on, and I just glued a fat slab of sound deadening rubber on the bottom, but it's still noisy.

What else should I try? I really don't want to be stuck on this lovely overpriced Logitech with its mushy keys, dozen useless extra buttons and numerical keypad which makes my shoulder hurt as my mouse ends up too far to the right.

Zilents.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

78g specifically.

You could also look into QMX clips or Zealencios since unlike o-rings they dampen the up stroke as well as the downstroke.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
God drat am I glad that my coworkers at New Job are also keyboard nerds. "Nice. What switches?" "BOX Navy." "Cool. I've got Aliazes, but I hate 'em and nobody bitches about noise, so."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I went through a whole bunch of effort only to find out that I don't really like the pre-load on these Hako Trues. I should have gotten the clears =/

I forgot that I had QMX clips on the MX blues too so it took like twice as long as I expected to get everything swapped and I broke one of the clips :(

Other than that these switches are pretty fantastic. I'm sure I'll deal once I get used to them. They're actually really nice for typing quickly and accurately if you can get past not bottoming out.
It might be in my head but it feels like some of them are a little harder to press than others. I haven't done much typing yet so I'm gonna give it a couple weeks and see how it goes.

Trip Report:
The Hako Trues definitely take some getting used to. The preload is very different than regular springs but it's not unpleasant after they get broken in.
Also, these switches are a wholly different beast after they're broken in. I thought maybe my caps weren't all snug at first or something but there were definitely differences in the throw of one switch to another. Now that I've typed on it a bunch everything seems to have settled down and evened out. A few of my lesser used switches still feel 'fresher' but I'm sure they'll settle in too eventually.
The weight of the switch is interesting. They're heavy, which is nice, but you can definitely feel the preload on the springs. It's like they're about to bottom out as soon as you press them.

All in all, a very different feel than what I'm used to. I kinda like it, but honestly I much prefer MX Clears. Typing is smooth despite the weight, but also feels muted, even when bottoming out. The switches are solid though. They feel like they're built like a brick shithouse.

Despite the warnings from Kono Store, the pre-retooled switches I've got don't seem to bother my cheap Aliexpress keycaps at all.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Are there good quiet keyboards with a volume wheel + media keys nowadays? I'm currently using a first-gen Logitech G15 from like 2006 and I think it might be starting to fail, but I don't know what's good nowadays.
So far I've found the Das Keyboard 4 Pro (CMX Brown, $170), some Corsair keyboards, and the Redragon K550 (custom? supposedly like CMX Brown, $60). Are there any I'm missing?
For both coding and gaming, if that matters.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Are there good quiet keyboards with a volume wheel + media keys nowadays? I'm currently using a first-gen Logitech G15 from like 2006 and I think it might be starting to fail, but I don't know what's good nowadays.
So far I've found the Das Keyboard 4 Pro (CMX Brown, $170), some Corsair keyboards, and the Redragon K550 (custom? supposedly like CMX Brown, $60). Are there any I'm missing?
For both coding and gaming, if that matters.

My alternative to this was remapping the second scroll wheel in my mx master to volume control. Easy thumb flick for volume! Could even remap the two then buttons for forward/back I guess.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I wouldn't really call browns (or reds) quiet. Like they're quieter than blues but still much louder than rubber domes or dampened switches.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How quiet are silent reds?

Also can anyone recommend a TKL kit (or a hotswap keyboard) that has a traditional keyboard case rather than just a flat piece? I have some fancy SA profile caps but I think they look ugly when you can see the switches underneath them.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 26, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

internet celebrity posted:

78g specifically.

But at a HUNDRED AND TWENTY AMERICAN BUCKAROOS SHIPPED (before customs get their clammy hands on them) I think I'll pass gat dayum.

internet celebrity posted:

You could also look into QMX clips or Zealencios since unlike o-rings they dampen the up stroke as well as the downstroke.

QMX clips much more digestible - am I PCB mount or plate mount? (when I take off a cap and take a peek, I don't see a PCB.)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

How quiet are silent reds?
I don't have silent reds but the various videos comparing silent switches to their regular equivalents (reds/silent reds, inks/silent inks, zealios/zilents) give a pretty good idea.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
^ I have silent reds. They're very quiet and perfectly appropriate for a shared space imo. But I can get a good thock if I'm really hammering away at em.

bolind posted:

QMX clips much more digestible - am I PCB mount or plate mount? (when I take off a cap and take a peek, I don't see a PCB.)

You'd need plate mount.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I was internally debating myself on whether I want the Keystone, or not. It seems super attractive and I've never had a beam spring keyboard. Truth be told, it'd probably remain a novelty in this household since my partner and I sit next to each other and I don't want to piss her off every time I shitpost on SA. Also, I've already splurged a wad of money at the Oblivion drops. Maybe I'll get the switches though, who knows.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

I was internally debating myself on whether I want the Keystone, or not. It seems super attractive and I've never had a beam spring keyboard. Truth be told, it'd probably remain a novelty in this household since my partner and I sit next to each other and I don't want to piss her off every time I shitpost on SA. Also, I've already splurged a wad of money at the Oblivion drops. Maybe I'll get the switches though, who knows.

The switches are no good without a custom pcb, they're contact-less

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Box jades are the most appropriate for a shared space.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bolind posted:

But at a HUNDRED AND TWENTY AMERICAN BUCKAROOS SHIPPED (before customs get their clammy hands on them) I think I'll pass gat dayum.

Zealios are loving expensive, yeah, and while they're very nice (I think the teal linear switch they have is about the most smooth well balanced linear I've ever tried), they're absolutely 100% not "Four times the price of a Kailh box red". I think Gateron's silent reds are very good for low noise. They're more quiet than a rubber dome board and still feel good. Gateron's silenced browns and Aliaz switches feel about the same to me. For a tactile switch like that that you also want to be quiet I'd just be going for a topre board or something.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Gateron also do silent yellows and blacks (for anyone who finds reds and browns too light) and silent inks (but they're nearly as expensive as the Zeal equivalents).

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Exit Strategy posted:

God drat am I glad that my coworkers at New Job are also keyboard nerds. "Nice. What switches?" "BOX Navy." "Cool. I've got Aliazes, but I hate 'em and nobody bitches about noise, so."
Same here! I share an open office space with around 10 people, 6 of us use mechs (although 3 use Ducky with MX Brown and o-rings, but at least noise tolerance is high). And we're enough people in the entire workplace to have a "mechanical keyboard" beer after work almost every Friday, with something new to try every time. Very nice!

bolind posted:

I'm pretty sure ZealPC usually undervalues packages for customs. KBDFans also sell Zeal switches, and they also undervalue packages and the free shipping threshold is lower ($40 vs $150 or something).

Spug fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 26, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Lol at Zeal undervaluing anything. Being in Canada, it's actually cheaper for me to get Zealios via KBDFans from China. 67g Zealios are still my favourite tactile switches after trying almost everything out there but gently caress Zeal's markup on everything. (though I do get that that is his thing, being a boutique KB vendor and all)

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Hey thread, I picked up an Anne Pro 2 a few weeks ago. I loved the form factor and was able to map a bunch of stuff i needed to the secondary keyboard layer and everything was great, but the drat thing had a penchant for randomly disconnecting from my machine. Googled it and it's a known issue so back to Amazon it went.

I decided to go with a Vortex 90M as its replacement because I like the look and not having to sacrifice much extra space for a full layout. The only problem is it sits too flat. The base is a wedge shape, but it's not a steep enough incline. Anyone know of some good replacement feet I can attach to the underside of the keyboard? Possibly something that looks aluminum to match the body? I've found a few but they all appear to have screwholes. I need something adhesive since the base of the Tab 90m is metal.

Thanks!

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 26, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

negativeneil posted:

The base is a wedge shape, but it's not a steep enough incline. Anyone know of some good replacement feet I can attach to the underside of the keyboard? Possibly something that looks aluminum to match the body? I've found a few but they all appear to have screwholes. I need something adhesive since the base of the Tab 90m is metal.

These feet could work:

https://kbdfans.com/products/anodized-cnc-aluminum-feet-1pair?_pos=1&_sid=1600648ac&_ss=r

They're the ones that normally go on flat keyboards though and you usually screw it on. For your use, it might make it too tall and if you can't screw it on you'll likely have to use an adhesive.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
thanks! yeah those were ones i found. I guess i could get some adhesive and avoid the screws. I dunno, maybe it's worth it ergonomically to see if i get used to the positioning. The keyboard is fantastic otherwise, no complaints except I wish it had all the features of the 90 (sans bluetooth which i understand might not be so easy in a solid metal housing)

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

I finally got my hands on SA Pulse with Rams I love how it looks.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My plan for my new work board is BOX Navies - stickin' with what I love - and either a stainless steel, brass, or copper case with integrated wrist rest and SA Leviathan.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Goons, what do I want for a bog standard 60% layout, hot swap kit/board, hopefully QMK or something at least mildly programmable? I'm tired of soldering things up and deciding I just want different switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'd say combine the 1up RGB 60 HSE:

https://www.1upkeyboards.com/shop/controllers/1up-rgb-pcb-hse/

with a 60% case of your choice. Or if you want per-key RGB, then get the one from KBDFans:

https://kbdfans.com/collections/60/products/dz60rgb-ansi-mechanical-keyboard-pcb

Or you could desolder your current keyboard and solder in Mill-Max sockets one last time.