Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Failboattootoot posted:

All of the raids have been bad right up until their final act, with the sole exception of the Ivalice 24 man raids, which were just bad.

:wrong: alexander was good from act 1 on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The quests to unlock the raids are shorter then any other which really does make it the best story. Thinking otherwise is just wrong thought.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Truga posted:

lol "eden story is bad", there's been more stuff happening than the entirety of omega already

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its also a direct continuation of shadowbringers instead of a sidestory so that's neat to see, I shan't trust the judgement of wrongthinkers again.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think it just comes down to a different between story and plot (and even my misuse of the words).

The story for Eden is good. It's tied to the MSQ. It's a far more interesting concept.

The plot is bad. Very little happens and there is very little plot to latch on to.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Omega was a good tournament arc I think.

Edit: I think Omega's biggest failing was that it has a really strong aesthetic but you don't see that in the cameo fights, even if overall I think that was a better use of nostalgia than 90% of the Ivalice raid.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mordiceius posted:

I think it just comes down to a different between story and plot (and even my misuse of the words).

The story for Eden is good. It's tied to the MSQ. It's a far more interesting concept.

The plot is bad. Very little happens and there is very little plot to latch on to.

This is the most pedantic thing I've seen all week.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

isn't this just the first section of eden anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Omega is established as a sentient being with desires (that happen to clash with our protags). Alpha’s personality of timid, yet craving companionship is established. A connection is established between both Alpha and Omega, hunting at deeper mystery.

What character development had happened in the Eden raid story so far?

If you mean establishment of character concepts The entirety of the second boss fight serves to establish her personality, both hinting at mysteries involving her voidsent-summoning abilities and at her own belief that she is a hero and you are the villains, which both ties into the overall themes of ShB and could potentially reflect on the Void which is pretty underemphasized. It also builds off existing characters which is nice even if they're pretty basic so far.

There's about as much established here as in the start of Omega, just without adorable chocobos.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I don't see how this is anything but being disengenious. Your opinion is most definitely going to change of the early parts based on how they continue. I don't understand how you refuse to admit that this can happen for this story just like it has for previous stories that started out with a bad reception.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cabbit posted:

This is the most pedantic thing I've seen all week.

Fun fact: different words mean different things and different words can be used to convey different meanings.

Dryzen posted:

I don't see how this is anything but being disengenious. Your opinion is most definitely going to change of the early parts based on how they continue. I don't understand how you refuse to admit that this can happen for this story just like it has for previous stories that started out with a bad reception.

I've literally said before that I hope it gets better in later parts. If anything, it is your post that is being disingenuous. The concept for Eden is good. I was excited for it then, I'm excited for it still.

As another poster mentioned - there's not enough meat on the bones of this plot. We have the conceptual skeleton, but very little built out. Dramatically less than previous first tiers of raids.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 16, 2019

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kerrzhe posted:

isn't this just the first section of eden anyway

Like literally every raid so far, the plot will be very, very backloaded.

But unlike the first tiers of every raid so far, these bosses are metal as gently caress

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

If you mean establishment of character concepts The entirety of the second boss fight serves to establish her personality, both hinting at mysteries involving her voidsent-summoning abilities and at her own belief that she is a hero and you are the villains, which both ties into the overall themes of ShB and could potentially reflect on the Void which is pretty underemphasized. It also builds off existing characters which is nice even if they're pretty basic so far.

There's about as much established here as in the start of Omega, just without adorable chocobos.

Instead we have adorable Ryne :3:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Fun fact: different words mean different things and different words can be used to convey different meanings.

I've literally said before that I hope it gets better in later parts. If anything, it is your post that is being disingenuous. The concept for Eden is good. I was excited for it then, I'm excited for it still.

As another poster mentioned - there's not enough meat on the bones of this plot. We have the conceptual skeleton, but very little built out. Dramatically less than previous first tiers of raids.

Dude, you can no you me as much as you want but you coming in here screaming "eden is trash" then refusing to even acknowledge that you might've said things poorly, even after I tried to tell you exactly that is beyond this world

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A cute bit of character interaction in Eden: Ryne praises Eden like a dog in E3 and it's hella cute :allears:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Failboattootoot posted:

All of the raids stories have been bad right up until their final act, with the sole exception of the Ivalice 24 man raids, which were just bad.
The hearts of men are black with corruption and must needs be cleansed. Honed is the blade that severs the villain's head. Endless is the path that leads him from hell.

Ivalice didn't have Omega's payoff but it also didn't need it to be decent.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't care about the metaplot of Ivalice at all really but the raids themselves were fun.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't care about the metaplot of Ivalice at all really but the raids themselves were fun.

Sure, mechanically and from a spectacle standpoint easily the best 24 man series. But every single story beat was abysmal (minus Hancock running a scam on Gegeruju) and no amount of bosses quoting fft fixes that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, I kinda asked this before but I'm at the start of Shadowbringers and I'm at level 75. Besides the MSQ I've only doing the daily levelling roulette. Am I in danger of getting to 80 before finishing the MSQ and thus wasting MSQ EXP?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

OK, I kinda asked this before but I'm at the start of Shadowbringers and I'm at level 75. Besides the MSQ I've only doing the daily levelling roulette. Am I in danger of getting to 80 before finishing the MSQ and thus wasting MSQ EXP?

You're at the start of shadowbringers at 75?

Yes. there's a risk.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Absolutely yes. But also you won't run into the level gating that seemed to be very prevalent for everyone who started the MSQ at 70, so that's good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I was also 75 when I got there, and I think I reached 80 at around the level 78 MSQs so it's not that bad

e: that was without doing roulettes, side quests, etc. on that job though, just MSQ

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 17, 2019

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kurieg posted:

You're at the start of shadowbringers at 75?

Yes. there's a risk.

I remember doing some of the MSQ stuff in the final zone as another class because it didn't waste the exp.

Mordiceius posted:

Excuse me but I'm the resident threadshitter for picking hills to die on, you're encroaching on my territory, and I must ask you to cease and desist.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 17, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Don't do non-blue sidequests (do the blue + ones, they unlock good things) and you'll be fine. If you grind roulettes, do it on another class for now. By level 78 or 79 you'll hopefully hit the level block MSQ and can do a few sidequests or roulettes then to carry you over. There's a ton of sidequests so if you skip them all you should be fine.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm glad it's not too bad. I didn't MEAN to overlevel so much, it's kinda happened? I'm actually surprised how quick and easy it is to level up in this game, I thought it'd be a huge pain.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm glad it's not too bad. I didn't MEAN to overlevel so much, it's kinda happened? I'm actually surprised how quick and easy it is to level up in this game, I thought it'd be a huge pain.

This advice can also be safely tossed if you love maximization but I think at most you'd be losing a handful of million exp by the time you hit 80 in story quests, so your total loss if you level the same class is about as much as a couple roulletes will give.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Truga posted:

lol "eden story is bad", there's been more stuff happening than the entirety of omega already

Not an empty quote. THis is the best raid story since Coil hands down.

Things actually HAPPEN, that are relevant and beg questions about relevant cosmology.

Rather than a dumbass tournament arc that just straight lifts things from prior Final Fantasies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm pretty happy with Eden story so far. It directly connects to the main story, it has a meaningful impact on the rest of the world, and most importantly, it uses FF8 references as seasoning rather than the main course.

Also, E2 is in the running for one of my favorite fights in the game. I can't wait to see the savage version.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Hey guys, are there any groups/guilds/etc. to join in Hyperion? I moved over to Primal to play with my buddy, but Excalibur was impossible to get into (even just 45 minutes after the patch last night).

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Eden's story is pretty good so far.

In just the first tier there's been more progress than any other raid. We've freed Water & Earth. We've actually made a change.

In terms of character development, Ryne was the focus. As someone who didn't like her much in the MSQ, she was better here. She didn't wilt and was assertive about what she wanted.

The thing I disliked the most was the fact that we got Titan instead of The Brothers.

Lastly, there was a ton of magibabble. I love magibabble.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Eden story is as much about what's being left unsaid as what's directly stated by the characters. There are a lot of details and hooks in the events that transpire.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Sure, mechanically and from a spectacle standpoint easily the best 24 man series. But every single story beat was abysmal (minus Hancock running a scam on Gegeruju) and no amount of bosses quoting fft fixes that.

gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> story

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fister Roboto posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm pretty happy with Eden story so far. It directly connects to the main story, it has a meaningful impact on the rest of the world, and most importantly, it uses FF8 references as seasoning rather than the main course.

Also, E2 is in the running for one of my favorite fights in the game. I can't wait to see the savage version.

Tired of the game constantly waxing nostalgic for other final fantasies?

How about for itself :getin:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

yeah i've barely started the eden chain and already I like it a lot even if it doesnt have alpha who is a good boy

it has ryne who is cool and good :3:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I only had time to do the first eden fight but the premise at least is interesting. However, I do feel like the line to line writing feels a bit, I dunno, not so great. It feels like it’s not ponderous enough. Rushed in terms of pacing, a little bit

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder what the deal is with the mystery girl. What's her connection to the voidsent and how did they get here?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I just finished uploading my Talking The Red guides for each of the Eden fights and tl;dr I had a ton of fun with them. I haven't been around for any of the 8-man raids at launch before, so it's been a pretty fun experience and surprisingly not as painful as I imagined they would be. I did have a couple groups that straight-up could not figure out the second raid's mechanics though, so that was interesting. :v:

Savages are going to be wild. I dunno if I'm going to have the time to do it hardcore once classes start but drat if I'm not going to try!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

My favorite detail so far is that the first thing these people think to do is teleport inside the giant light monster as if that's just always an option when dealing with this sort of thing

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
My hot take on E4: I don't like Titan's new dialogue which consists of lines from his song and generic JRPG villain threats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

UHD posted:

My favorite detail so far is that the first thing these people think to do is teleport inside the giant light monster as if that's just always an option when dealing with this sort of thing

Considering how long we've been watching acisans do it that should be a pretty obvious first step at this point.