Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I think it’s still fair to say that it does matter, since every tether being backed by 1 United States dollar was a foundational principle of the confidence scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Whether or not Bitfenix actually has one Dollar for every Tether doesn't matter, because they don't guarantee that you'll ever be able to redeem one Tether for a Dollar.

There's also the fact that there's no evidence they have the USD, and all signs point to no

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

According to Reddit we're all wrong. 'Pegged' simply means selling them for one USD, not anything else and not being able to exchange them for a USD is nbd. That said, while some tether sites nominally cash out it's only for corporate accounts and only for transactions in excess of $100,000. Minus fees. Nominally. I've yet to see any evidence that they've done anything of the sort.

Of course, why having any USD 'backing' tether matters isn't a question defenders can really answer but I'm sure it's all legit and aboveboard and nothing's wrong at all.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I think I have it now. Most people using Tethers willfully ignore the fact that those coins ultimately have no true value, if it lets them get around some laws and taxes.

Will the tether scam falling apart take crypto currency with it? Or will the cycle continue when a new coin pops up to take Tether’s place? I have to imagine that if Bitfinex keeps printing them whenever they need to push up Bitcoin’s price, they will eventually reach a saturation point.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
I thought the us government was going after tether? Is there any news on that? How has this scam gone on so long and why is it being tolerated?

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Overheard on NPR this morning: "Is Libra the astrological sign for money-laundering?"

I chuckled.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jenrai posted:

Overheard on NPR this morning: "Is Libra the astrological sign for money-laundering?"

I chuckled.

idgi

Shouldn't it be Gemini?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Libra is facebooks attempt to enter the financial services sector and get that sweet cut of dirty money that HSBC rolled around in

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Tether is no longer even pegged to the USD, they gave up on that around half a year ago.

And they fat-fingered it when printing another 500M tethers the other day and accidentally printed 5B, so they had to cancel 4.5B. I don’t know about you, but that seems 1000% legitimate to me!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
So as of right now, the current bag holders are anyone with tethers, including Bitfinex because its is unlikely many of them could be exchanged for their purchase price if you bought them with dollars. Bitfinex also faces impressive liabilities in its ongoing prosecution by the New York State attorney general. It’s been a steady trickle of laughs.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I've kinda learned to not invest my trust in the American justice system.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Orvin posted:

Will the tether scam falling apart take crypto currency with it?

Ifinex (?) has said that if they fall over the price of bitcoin could tumble below 1000

I look forward to blood

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I thought the us government was going after tether? Is there any news on that? How has this scam gone on so long and why is it being tolerated?

It's just the New York state government going after them right now, and the US legal system operates at a glacial pace. The next court date is July 29.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lambert posted:

I've kinda learned to not invest my trust in the American justice system.
the next financial bailout in the impending crash earmarks funds for making whole depositors in USDT because some gullible billionaire was really hard into crypto

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

comedyblissoption posted:

the next financial bailout in the impending crash earmarks funds for making whole depositors in USDT because some gullible billionaire was really hard into crypto

Can't wait for Kamala Harris to go back to being a DA and talk a big game about prosecuting those Bitcoin fraudsters only to settle like all the other DAs.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Decentralization always prevails

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ghosTTy posted:

The man in the expensive suit will never love you, no matter how much you post

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ghosTTy posted:

on the other hand, all of recorded history

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Me, in the age of centralized cloud providers: "Decentralization always prevails" :shucks:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
bitcoin gud becuz cold war

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ghosTTy posted:

It's weird because bitcoin and crypto are more centralized than regular currency. You can have millions of cash transactions with only two parties privy to each. For a bitcoin transaction to take place there has to be a centralized consensus from tons of parties at once. Resulting in delays, crazy fees, and a highly inefficient centralized system for achieving consensus. Adding more people decreases the efficiency of communication, and the myriad of payment processors for real digital transactions aren't all centralized. They act independent of one another. If Visa, Mastercard, or Amex were inefficient a new company would emerge and take a percent of each transaction to compensate.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 17, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

It's weird because bitcoin and crypto are more centralized than regular currency. You can have millions of cash transactions with only two parties privy to each. For a bitcoin transaction to take place there has to be a centralized consensus from tons of parties at once. Resulting in delays, crazy fees, and a highly inefficient centralized system for achieving consensus. Adding more people decreases the efficiency of communication, and the myriad of payment processors for real digital transactions aren't all centralized. They act independent of one another. If Visa, Mastercard, or Amex were inefficient a new company would emerge and take a percent of each transaction to compensate. If crrpyot is inefficient tough luck. Better hope the devs improve it.

You could argue a new crypto could pop up, but then you're dealing with a different currency entirely.

None of this is correct, but you're still right, because the premise was wrong. Decentralization never wins because it's harder than centralization. Unless you're actively fighting against centralization, things naturally trend that way, hence why we all use Facebook and Google for everything on the internet now.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

xtal posted:

None of this is correct, but you're still right, because the premise was wrong. Decentralization never wins because it's harder than centralization. Unless you're actively fighting against centralization, things naturally trend that way, hence why we all use Facebook and Google for everything on the internet now.
There are facets of centralization and decentralization. Obviously I get how the existing system is very centralized in a way bitcoin is not, but bitcoin is centralized in a way that normal currency is not as well. And it turns out normal currency has a ridiculous efficiency advantage. Partially as a result.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 17, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Awww, now you're bringing your schoolwork to the thread. So cute.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

There are facets of centralization and decentralization. Obviously I get how the existing system is very centralized in a way bitcoin is not, but bitcoin is centralized in a way that normal currency is not as well. And it turns out normal currency has a ridiculous efficiency advantage. Partially as a result.

Bitcoin isn't centralized just because there's a single authoritative blockchain. You and your friends can make your own blockchain, but that doesn't mean other people are going to decide to use it. The decision of which blockchain to use takes work, which is why decentralized solutions cost more energy. The % of energy advantage is probably directly proportionate to the difference in centralization. To the extent that you can use the energy difference as an argument that it's more decentralized.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's the real centralization that occurs because mining is a winner-takes-all activity which encourage huge economies of scale. Mining stops being something that a bunch of people can do in their idle time and instead has become an industrial process that now concentrates the "useful" work of bitcoin into a handful of the largest pools that effectively have veto authority on anything that happens on the network and the protocol. Literally the idiot's understanding of how the Fed works is being realized with Bitcoin which is an irony that seems lost on all the various proponents thereof.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Khorne posted:

Not exactly. Bitcoin is not centralized because no one put the power to control it into a single hand. The only value of something like this being made decentralized is to remove power from an individual. That's it. There is no other benefit to decentralization. The costs of doing this are higher costs, inefficiencies and slower processing time.

But then here comes the core problem: with the system being open to everyone, it naturally leads to jungle law of open competition. The weak is weeded out until only a few remains. So they became the centralized power in control of the system.

So Bitcoin is originally designed to be decentralized. It failed spectacularly. It will never work unless there's a governing body to oversee it and keep it decentralized. Ironically, that governing body would be centralized.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Bitcoin is decentralized

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ghosTTy posted:

Bitcoin is decentralized

i don't know guys, this is a pretty strong argument. the rest of you posted a bunch of confusing words while this is simple and easy to grasp

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about "The weak is weeded out until only a few remains. So they became the centralized power in control of the system." is that anybody else can come along and 50%+1 that person as well

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ghosTTy posted:

Bitcoin is decentralized

Why isn’t it at $1m yet?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Crawling out of my cave, I lift myself up. Whipping the blanket up and down near the bonfire, I send a smoke signal to my nearest neighbor, living ten miles away. The hot summer sun beats down on the cracked desert landscape. He lights a firework in response, to tell me he got the message. He's always been the smart one, able to make his own fireworks to send messages that way. Hopefully he doesn't lose his other foot making homemade explosives, but if he does, that's on him.

I'm glad he got the message. It's an important message. The message was "DECENTRALIZATION ALWAYS PREVAILS". I hope he sends a microtransaction to the satellite high above to crypto-tip me for it. I could really use the money.

I don't have reliable electricity to be able to check.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

Why isn’t it at $1m yet?

...Because it's decentralized

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

xtal posted:

The thing about "The weak is weeded out until only a few remains. So they became the centralized power in control of the system." is that anybody else can come along and 50%+1 that person as well

How are you going to win the arms race against the current players who can expand their existing infrastructure for less than it would cost you to build new infrastructure?

If you have so much money that you can afford to wrestle for control over butts, why aren't you spending it on something with actual economic value instead?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

How are you going to win the arms race against the current players who can expand their existing infrastructure for less than it would cost you to build new infrastructure?

If you have so much money that you can afford to wrestle for control over butts, why aren't you spending it on something with actual economic value instead?

Don't ask me, I'm just a scientist, you'll need an engineer to figure out the practice

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

Ghost tits who loving wrote that? Name me the historian who is dumb enough to claim decentralized "data processing" is what won the cold war so I can ensure I never read their work.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

BUG JUG posted:

Ghost tits who loving wrote that? Name me the historian who is dumb enough to claim decentralized "data processing" is what won the cold war so I can ensure I never read their work.

"Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow (Hebrew: ההיסטוריה של המחר) is a book written by Israeli author Yuval Noah Harari, professor at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem." Apparently it's also about Internet-Of-Things and Big Data. Truly a must-read for anyone in middle-management at a dying mid-western insurance company.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Imagining that large organizations have an exploitable weakness borne of sluggishness and complacency is like crack for the libertarian mind. I think the reality is that large players warp their ecosystem around them to fit their own image, like a black walnut tree or other allelopaths.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

resistentialism posted:

Imagining that large organizations have an exploitable weakness borne of sluggishness and complacency is like crack for the libertarian mind. I think the reality is that large players warp their ecosystem around them to fit their own image, like a black walnut tree or other allelopaths.

China Mieville has such a good quote about libertarians:

"Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

ghosTTy posted:

Bitcoin is decentralized

That's amazing! That must mean you don't need banks of any sort! Can you image if you went to big centralized exchanges for your transactions and they vanishedohwaitthatalreadyhappened... Decentralized though! Still working on that ExhaustCoin thing?