Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

strong bird posted:

gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> story

And? The topic isn't if the raids are bad, it's if the story is bad. And the answer to, "Is the Ivalice raid story complete loving drek with literally nothing redeeming about it?" would be a resounding yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My biggest problem with E3 is that my WoL's recollection of the fight should've spawned an endless series of chests that do not contain ponies and a console that is never triggered at the right time

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

also the writing is fine

its not oscar caliber but it does the job

if you walk into every storyline expecting a 5.0-grade tour de force then youre probably gonna be disappointed a lot from here on out

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really hope that one of the Eden fights is Pandemona for the wind aether.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
Final MSQ Spoilers

:bandwagon:

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
One point about Omega vs Eden that hasn't been mentioned yet, and gives good faith that Eden will deliver:

Both Alexander and Omega were entirely detached from the main plotline of the game. Yoshi-P mentioned this in some interview leading up to ShB, and it was because after Bahamut they received a lot of complaints that players weren't able to see all of the story because it was locked behind a hard raid. He mentioned in the same interview that now that they have Normal & Savage figured out, they are able to integrate the raid into the main plotline again starting with Eden. This means that rather than one-off throwaway characters like Alpha being invented for the raid story (I still love Alpha), we're likely going to see actual character development with the existing characters integrated into Eden's plot.

E1-4 is all setup. Any meaningful plot or development would have felt incredibly rushed if they threw it into the introduction to the whole thing.

Edit: Also don't get me wrong, I loved Alexander and the goblins, but claiming that was a good story is some serious rose-tinted glasses. Yes, it had good characterization, but the plot was practically nonexistent. There's nothing wrong with liking the characterization, though, because that's what carries most fantasy JRPG stories.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 17, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Failboattootoot posted:

And? The topic isn't if the raids are bad, it's if the story is bad. And the answer to, "Is the Ivalice raid story complete loving drek with literally nothing redeeming about it?" would be a resounding yes.

It is ok to not like something but that doesn't make it bad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I have to say I appreciate how much E4 is trolling the player base.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

hobbesmaster posted:

"Okay, Massive Landslide, probably just an upgrade of regular Landslide just stay away from his front line AO- *entire party gets hit and immediately blasted off the edge*

From a lore standpoint, the biggest thing I appreciate about Eden is that it establishes something that was directly hinted in Amarot; creation magic is loving hard and apparently a single nanosecond of a stray thought gives you poo poo like Twin-Headed Leviathan and Car-Armor Titan. Can't wait for Godbert Ramuh to finally plug that Rhalgr lore.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Phew, what a journey.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MechaX posted:

From a lore standpoint, the biggest thing I appreciate about Eden is that it establishes something that was directly hinted in Amarot; creation magic is loving hard and apparently a single nanosecond of a stray thought gives you poo poo like Twin-Headed Leviathan and Car-Armor Titan. Can't wait for Godbert Ramuh to finally plug that Rhalgr lore.

Titan, lord of cars, er crags

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MechaX posted:

"Okay, Massive Landslide, probably just an upgrade of regular Landslide just stay away from his front line AO- *entire party gets hit and immediately blasted off the edge*

"Alright time to remember Ramuh. He was in the Shroud... big fluffy white beard... uh moogle?"

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

The Landslide ptsd was pretty funny. There should have been phantom images of dragoons and black mages flying off the side with every landslide strike to enhance the trolling.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

The Landslide ptsd was pretty funny. There should have been phantom images of dragoons and black mages flying off the side with every landslide strike to enhance the trolling.

idk the attack being the opposite meaning that its likely your entire raid wipes your first time through is pretty effective

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Give me thunderdaddy or give me death.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I can't wait to see our nightmare versions of Ifrit and Garuda

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait for the eurobeat to be overlaid on Titans theme when he starts racing around.

I wonder how savage titan will get his kart enhanced.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

Shiva.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about AST - I remember reading here that people thought nocturnal was better for dungeons, but I've been trying to use it and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong because it doesn't feel very effective?

In particular, I feel like the tanks are taking so much damage that the mobs chew through the shield before my GCD is even up, not really saving me any time or effort (and costs more MP, too!) Meanwhile regen is very helpful in giving me some extra time since their health is always dropping and it's always ticking.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I hope that the WoL's last memories of Shiva being Ysayle sacrificing herself results in the fight ending up as a total Ishgard-ptsd disaster.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
eden spoilers

how i imagine creation magic works:

urianger: thou dost needest only thinketh of titan as he was whence you last clashed in battle, for then thine shall easily claimeth victory against thine twice fought antagonist

me day dreaming about riding my sick go kart:

ok

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So just finished up Eden, I don't see why people were whining about the story, I thought it was good, especially for a first raid tier. Sets things up nicely, gives plenty of hooks, and you even actually accomplish something positive. The fights themselves were insanely awesome, but I do feel that like 2 and 4 had too much hp.

As for spoiler talk I'm interested how the gently caress Eden can be a Sin Eater if it's a weird ship thing? Like I thought Sin Eaters came from organic beings. They call the Amnesiac the Oracle of Darkness so she's probably a result of Elidibulus's loving with us.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Her theme remix is gonna be sick!

Eimi posted:

As for spoiler talk I'm interested how the gently caress Eden can be a Sin Eater if it's a weird ship thing? Like I thought Sin Eaters came from organic beings. They call the Amnesiac the Oracle of Darkness so she's probably a result of Elidibulus's loving with us.

I wonder if she's also a survivor from the void.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eimi posted:

So just finished up Eden, I don't see why people were whining about the story, I thought it was good, especially for a first raid tier. Sets things up nicely, gives plenty of hooks, and you even actually accomplish something positive. The fights themselves were insanely awesome, but I do feel that like 2 and 4 had too much hp.

Ehhhh... the oracle of darkness should be a speaker for Zodiark. Zodiark themselves is not necessarily 100% aligned with the ascians, though if Emet-Selch is to be believed they would be. The oracle could be from the 13th and a completely independent actor. I'm interested to see which direction they're going with it all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eimi posted:

I think they're wrong and Eden isn't the "First Sin Eater" and its actions just created them. Honestly I wonder if it perhaps can cross the rift between shards and is also what caused the Flood of Darkness (despite the Cloud of Darkness existing)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Taking a page from Titan's ATV, Ifrit is gonna come in on a sweet motorbike and go full Ghost Rider on us.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Arist posted:

Me and two other goons just carried a group of pugs through E4. Everyone had double rez sickness multiple times, we used the Healer LB3 twice, and it took like fifteen minutes.

The fight's fun as hell, it's just very busy. Taking a second to sort through my AST cards would get me killed right quick.

Nages was running ACT and tallied the number of deaths per person:

(Also I had the most dps as GNB with 5k. This is going to be hellish if pubs don't wise up)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Your Computer posted:

I have a question about AST - I remember reading here that people thought nocturnal was better for dungeons, but I've been trying to use it and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong because it doesn't feel very effective?

In particular, I feel like the tanks are taking so much damage that the mobs chew through the shield before my GCD is even up, not really saving me any time or effort (and costs more MP, too!) Meanwhile regen is very helpful in giving me some extra time since their health is always dropping and it's always ticking.

It goes both ways, but with Noct Aspected Benefic, that's an instant 700 potency mitigation in one GCD, and crits instantly have better returns. It takes 9 seconds for a Diurnal Benefic + regen to beat that, and spamming it is a net loss of efficiency if you overwrite the hot. You can throw on CO and CU for an additional 110 per tick, and then it still takes 6 seconds for the total regen to match the mitigation of the Noct Benefic, but at least then you can get a better 310 heal potency per tick for 5 ticks.

Meanwhile I prefer to use that upfront 700 to either build back up with Benefic II, or get some gravity time. I haven't had mp issues with heavy use of Lucid and Lightspeed. Not saying my way is right, but it worked better for me. This is only on the big triple pulls or whatever where the throughput is more important, because the regens aren't enough.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 17, 2019

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Given the first hand experience of just how sensitive Amaurotine creation magic is, I bet the uniform robes actually had a very practical purpose in their society.

The robes are dull enough that wearers dont stand out at all, and with a species whose creation magic is hypersensitive to the casters mind, wearing bright, artsy clothing can be downright dangerous to others as you might mentally distract them mid-cast as you pass by.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gruckles posted:

"Alright time to remember Ramuh. He was in the Shroud... big fluffy white beard... uh moogle?"

We try to summon Ramuh but accidentally summon Good King Moggle Mog XII

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rhonne posted:

We try to summon Ramuh but accidentally summon Good King Moggle Mog XII
Thunder... beard... helpers... that can only mean... Electric Thordan and his Moogle Knights!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hogama posted:

Thunder... beard... helpers... that can only mean... Electric Thordan and his Moogle Knights!

Thancred: "I'm really starting to get worried about our friend here."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last time I tried using Nocturnal in a dungeon was in Stormblood. I was having enough trouble keeping up that the tank straight-up told me to switch to Diurnal, lmao.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So just taking stabs at guessing later raid stuff

ifrit is going to be more like his classic bestial design, but otherwise i can't really guess

Ramuh is sometimes depicted more lion like, so i expect him to look like a big lion man with a massive mane instead, would be neat if he was very melee instead of wizardly, also for some reason my brain is going "samurai"

Shiva is going to be dragony, of course, i would probably be shocked if a dragon never even showed up.

Garuda i actually expect to be calmed with more sin eater traits, because wind-wings-feathers-oops.

Aimless speculation, but fun to do

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Couple of random questions:

1) Does there exist a spreadsheet or website somewhere showing roughly what mats to collect to level a crafting profession? I have an overabundance of time right now and started Botanist this evening, with an eye towards carpenter, and I'd like to be as self-sufficient as possible.

2) For lack of a better term, which tank is the easiest to play at 80? I wouldn't be taking it anywhere beyond 4 man content most likely. I have the first three at 70 and GNB at 60 still. Any thoughts/opinions?

Also, e4 spoiler: Titanmobile killed my entire group the first time we saw it and we have to pause for a couple minutes after because we were laughing so hard. That's my favorite boss ability in any game, ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eden 2 was so drat fun

This is the first time I've actually bothered doing 8-player raids at all because for some reason I thought normal raids would be harder/require more time than they actually do. Eden seems like a pretty great one to start with because so far the fights have been easy enough to figure out by doing them and they've been really, really fun. E2 is really clever and amused me a lot.

A Real Horse posted:

2) For lack of a better term, which tank is the easiest to play at 80? I wouldn't be taking it anywhere beyond 4 man content most likely. I have the first three at 70 and GNB at 60 still. Any thoughts/opinions?

GNB is my first tank ever and hasn't been very hard to pick up and understand. I think it has weaker mitigation than any other tank but it has a really satisfying attack rotation and some nice utility on top of it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 17, 2019

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Real Horse posted:

1) Does there exist a spreadsheet or website somewhere showing roughly what mats to collect to level a crafting profession? I have an overabundance of time right now and started Botanist this evening, with an eye towards carpenter, and I'd like to be as self-sufficient as possible.

Also, e4 spoiler: Titanmobile killed my entire group the first time we saw it and we have to pause for a couple minutes after because we were laughing so hard. That's my favorite boss ability in any game, ever.

WAR or PLD is probably the most straight-forward no frills tank class right now, although they all have a pretty similar kit when it comes to the actual 'taking a punch' part of tanking. Most of the difference comes on the 'doing damage' part of the equation.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Zoig posted:

So just taking stabs at guessing later raid stuff

ifrit is going to be more like his classic bestial design, but otherwise i can't really guess

Ramuh is sometimes depicted more lion like, so i expect him to look like a big lion man with a massive mane instead, would be neat if he was very melee instead of wizardly, also for some reason my brain is going "samurai"

Shiva is going to be dragony, of course, i would probably be shocked if a dragon never even showed up.

Garuda i actually expect to be calmed with more sin eater traits, because wind-wings-feathers-oops.

Aimless speculation, but fun to do

I wonder what other bosses we'll end up fighting besides the remixed primals. Probably a bunch of voidsent related to the Oracle of Darkness? Eden again?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Rhonne posted:

I wonder what other bosses we'll end up fighting besides the remixed primals. Probably a bunch of voidsent related to the Oracle of Darkness? Eden again?

not gonna lie i kinda hope we dont fight that many of them

we're already back to the monster-of-the-day bosses from omega except instead of old ff bosses its primal remixes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

A Real Horse posted:

https://ffxivcrafting.com/crafting

Give it a level range, and it'll show you everything you'd need to make all the stuff in your crafting log. After you do all that you should probably just check the leves section and see what the easiest one at your level is, then get the materials to do it a bunch of times until you open a new crafting log page.