Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

McNally posted:

cloaca here.

Hey this name was bequeathed to me by some random mod back when God was young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

M_Gargantua posted:

The house could probably pass a bill calling for the immediate shutdown of the concentration camps and humanitarian aide to those who have suffered in them.

DHS is under the executive branch and is not under the purview of Congress.

And then that would have just been struck down by the Senate regardless if it was anything more than a proclamation.

I would love to have something to tell at my reps that they should have done.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

McNally posted:

Anything I have the energy to type out in response to this would result in me having to probate myself.

Onnit gov.

Every single thing the bulk of the democratic party leadership is doing "against" Trump is entirely wiped out 2 hours later when he does a really funny fart out his mouth. This cycle has been repeated constantly since he became president.

Any of:

a) They don't care that the best farter since Franklin (bless him, mad nutter) is constantly owning them in a way that means he can do Nazi LARP 24/7; so they need replacing.
b) They're loving terrible at everything and need replacing en mass because jesus christ.
c) They secretly like what he's doing and being in opposition is pretty nice, power is pretty neat if you're that kind of person bastard. So need replacing.

Might have had a few beers, think that sums things up.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

Onnit gov.

Every single thing the bulk of the democratic party leadership is doing "against" Trump is entirely wiped out 2 hours later when he does a really funny fart out his mouth. This cycle has been repeated constantly since he became president.

Any of:

a) They don't care that the best farter since Franklin (bless him, mad nutter) is constantly owning them in a way that means he can do Nazi LARP 24/7; so they need replacing.
b) They're loving terrible at everything and need replacing en mass because jesus christ.
c) They secretly like what he's doing and being in opposition is pretty nice, power is pretty neat if you're that kind of person bastard. So need replacing.

Might have had a few beers, think that sums things up.

I don't disagree but it doesn't answer any questions.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

bird cooch posted:

I don't disagree but it doesn't answer any questions.

I got the vibe that “anything I post in response to this will result in me probating myself” was code for something

But I don’t know what

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://filedn.com/lA1dAM6GJzOy8eCDm2eVX88/fakes/omar_190716/omar1.mp4

This was done by a cspam poster

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

did i miss anything in the past 150 posts

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Trump says racist thing

Democrats can’t decide if they should call it racist because :decorum:

Pelosi says it’s racist and gets put in time out

The house votes that it’s racist

Oh and something about how democrats have moved left/right (honestly probably 90% of the 150 posts)

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

These are really going to make this election season exciting.

"up next on Fox did the Democratic presidential candidate actually say that he/she likes to eat babies? We will show you the video you decide!"

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 17, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bird cooch posted:

These are really going to make this election season exciting.

"up next on Fox did the Democratic presidential candidate actually say that he/she likes to eat babies? We will show you the video you decide!"

"Is Elizabeth Warren secretly Hillary Clinton in disguise? I talk to a former Breitbart collumist who now takes Haldol and says it can't be disproven! Up next, on Sean Hannity!"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Calling bird cooch cloaca was slightly amusing

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://abc7chicago.com/retired-supreme-court-justice-john-paul-stevens-dead-at-99/5400087/

Former US Supreme Court Justice Stevens, notable for making some solid votes on abortion, the death penalty, and the 2000 election, passed on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bird cooch posted:

DHS is under the executive branch and is not under the purview of Congress.

Congress, particularly the House, has ways of making organizations and agencies outside its purview bend to its will.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Because it is

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

Maybe he'll use the n-word at his announcement press conference and the Republican electorate will all go "Hold on. Let's hear him out"

These days are absolutely coming

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

“It’s not racist because black people say it”

Who says this first? Trump? Hannity? JellyAnn Conway (lol I’m not fixing that typo)?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cyks posted:

in the most liberal part of South Carolina

lmao no 1st district is carefully drawn to exclude charleston proper it's all suburbs, beachfront, and military bases

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I guess my civics education was poo poo (it was) but short of impeachment what can the House do unilaterally to check the executive branch?

Anything that requires the Senate will just never get a vote as long as Mitch is the Majority Leader. Similarly anything that originates in the Senate will also never get a vote in the House.

Even if the House does impeach Trump, I imagine that sending it to the Senate for a vote will just result in a failure to remove him.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

colachute posted:

Serious question: did people who supported Jim Crow say they weren’t racist? And is any of it documented?

Yes, Strom Thurmond. He said it was a states rights thing, not racism.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Nystral posted:

I guess my civics education was poo poo (it was) but short of impeachment what can the House do unilaterally to check the executive branch?

I'm not american, but as far as I know, nothing. It was kept in check kind of by the executive simply not extending the powers it had much. Clinton, Bush through Obama all expanded the poo poo out of it, none of them expected a Trump. It was kind of inevitable really.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

joat mon posted:

Yes, Strom Thurmond. He said it was a states rights thing, not racism.

(states' rights to be racist, that is)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A lot of the power that the executive branch now uses was given to them over the last 20 years by congress being afraid to do their jobs because unpopular actions might cost them an election.

The Iraq War vote broke politician's brains.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

I'm not american, but as far as I know, nothing. It was kept in check kind of by the executive simply not extending the powers it had much. Clinton, Bush through Obama all expanded the poo poo out of it, none of them expected a Trump. It was kind of inevitable really.

The Obama administration even went to Congress and asked for a new aumf the Congress said nah just use the one you got so that they didn't have to be held responsible for anything that happened.

And now we're trying to reel it back in.

(This is just one example, the executive has far too much reach)

Federalist number #70 is actually an argument for a strong executive and takes a lot of time to examine the pitfalls if you want to do some homework.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 17, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nystral posted:

Anything that requires the Senate will just never get a vote as long as Mitch is the Majority Leader. Similarly anything that originates in the Senate will also never get a vote in the House.

- Enforce contempt citations instead of farting around (part may be due to showing "exhaustion" to the courts)

- Kick the tires on inherent contempt and start jailing people (low chance of success, but why not at this point)

- Threaten to defund agencies, refuse to compromise and/or play hardball with Senate/President (ie don't give ICE another goddamn dollar)

- Hold hearing after hearing with witness after witness and whistleblower after whistleblower, a la Benjamin Ghazi

- Attach poison pill riders and House-priority requirements to must-pass legislation and don't stop adding them just because republicans call you communists

- Start impeachment proceedings on underlings that refuse to testify

Edit: The main frustration with Democrats in congress is that they're barely touching any of the above. I mean gently caress, they gave ICE *MORE* money and Trump is still going to call them weak on the border, so stop loving around with this nonsense and fight back.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 17, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

- Enforce contempt citations instead of farting around (part may be due to showing "exhaustion" to the courts)

- Kick the tires on inherent contempt and start jailing people (low chance of success, but why not at this point)

- Threaten to defund agencies, refuse to compromise and/or play hardball with Senate/President (ie don't give ICE another goddamn dollar)

- Hold hearing after hearing with witness after witness and whistleblower after whistleblower, a la Benjamin Ghazi

- Attach poison pill riders and House-priority requirements to must-pass legislation and don't stop adding them just because republicans call you communists

Edit: The main frustration with Democrats in congress is that they're barely touching any of the above. I mean gently caress, they gave ICE *MORE* money and Trump is still going to call them weak on the border, so stop loving around with this nonsense and fight back.

nevertheless, they assisted

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

On Puerto rican news, current goverment is full of mysoginits and homophobes, also Education secretary commited $15.5 million in federal funding fraud between 2017 and 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

my anger is reaching very pure levels

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

facialimpediment posted:

-The house found Eric Holder in contempt, and exactly nothing happened to him. Not because he didn't actually do anything but because contempt amounts to a letter of counseling stuck in a desk drawer.

-In 2017, the democratic house approval cratered because it shut down the government trying to stop the camps. In 2018, it squeaked out a win after Trump shut down the government over that loving wall. You think it's certain that the good people of this country will stand firm and back up the democrats if the house starts a showdown again? I don't think it's certain, not even likely.

-On hearings? Yeah, they're having them. Nobody's reporting on them, so nobody's paying attention, or even knows they're loving having them.

-There isn't going to be any must pass legislation until September.

-Impeach everyone? Sure. Remember the :kav: hearing? Remember the republicans huddling up just before Lindsey Graham came out, threw a red-faced tantrum about this gross miscarriage of justice, and got the vote he wanted? Hope you enjoyed that. Because you will see it over, and over, and over again.

There is only so much power the democratic house has right now. And the only way they will get more power is with more popular support. Did you know a majority of the country doesn't want to impeach the president? Only a slight majority even want to start impeachment investigations. That's nothing to work with. Nothing.

It's going to take more time to convince more people that we need to put a stronger brake on this poo poo.

Because I can see that if the democrats put the full breaks on now, the public will punish them for it. Like they punished the democrats in 1994 for being too far left. Like they punished the democrats in 2010 for being too far left. Like they punished the democrats in 2017 for being too far left.

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong to be angry. I'm loving angry, and I know I'm right. So all of you pissed off fuckers must be right too. It's just there's some other stuff to focus on. Elijah Cummings is going to tear the current DHS secretary a new one Thursday over child separation and the camps. Maybe tune in to that.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Ceiling fan posted:

Did you know a majority of the country doesn't want to impeach the president? Only a slight majority even want to start impeachment investigations. That's nothing to work with. Nothing.

I attribute this (edit: for democrat voters) almost entirely to Pelosi, the most visible Democrat for the last few years, telling any media outlet who will listen that impeachment is a bad idea, rather than that it might not be possible, which most people have taken at face value. That won't change so long as the top Democrat continues to campaign against it.

As for the rest, there's going to be a lot of disillusioned leftists questioning the point of voting if the closest thing to representation they get does nothing but quit before they've even tried to fight back. Cultivating even the image of a willingness to fight a losing battle because the goal is worthwhile would, I think, go a long way. I'm not sure most of us have ever really seen that in our adult lives from our politicians.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 17, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Strategically speaking starting impeachment proceedings too early with chance of him actually being removed would be a mistake. But now, now would be a good time.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
“If it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer.”

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ZombieApostate posted:

I attribute this almost entirely to Pelosi, the most visible Democrat for the last few years, telling any media outlet who will listen that impeachment is a bad idea, rather than that it might not be possible, which most people have taken at face value. That won't change so long as the top Democrat continues to campaign against it.

Almost entirely. Barely partially--right wing media? Every republican senator and representative and right-wing lobbyists contribution is < 1 - barely partially...whatever that difference is? No, whatever sliver is left, split that with the Trump media engine and non-Trump media actors, we'll say 1 minus barely partially, subtract whatever the difference is, take away whatever sliver is left, and that constitutes the prior opinions of voters. More than any other cause--nay every other cause combined (I presume here "almost entirely" means at least more than half)--the lack of the people's desire to impeach the president is a Representative from California.

If that is true, it would suggest that one member of the legislature is far more powerful than the president and the courts combined, since their combined opposition amounts to something less than whatever is left after almost entirely. Now that I've realized your point, I'm relieved that it's just rational people talking rationally, rationally astounded at these irrational actions by the Representative from California, the single most powerful entity in these States. A serious opinion taken seriously.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

piL posted:

Almost entirely. Barely partially--right wing media? Every republican senator and representative and right-wing lobbyists contribution is < 1 - barely partially...whatever that difference is? No, whatever sliver is left, split that with the Trump media engine and non-Trump media actors, we'll say 1 minus barely partially, subtract whatever the difference is, take away whatever sliver is left, and that constitutes the prior opinions of voters. More than any other cause--nay every other cause combined (I presume here "almost entirely" means at least more than half)--the lack of the people's desire to impeach the president is a Representative from California.

If that is true, it would suggest that one member of the legislature is far more powerful than the president and the courts combined, since their combined opposition amounts to something less than whatever is left after almost entirely. Now that I've realized your point, I'm relieved that it's just rational people talking rationally, rationally astounded at these irrational actions by the Representative from California, the single most powerful entity in these States. A serious opinion taken seriously.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

piL posted:

I'm half asleep and read Ceiling fan's post as being about democrats rather than the whole country, which made me think about a poll of democrats that I saw a while back that showed a margin of like 30-40 points between people who supported starting the impeachment process (low) and people who thought Trump had committed a crime (high). It was around the time Pelosi was constantly in the news being asked if she supported impeachment and she kept saying "no", instead of "not yet" or something similar.

Clearly I didn't do a very good job of getting my thoughts across.

edit:

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

No, I think his point is reasonable. I hosed up getting my point across. Certainly the right wing has done a tremendous amount to gently caress up Republican voter's heads. I just didn't intend to comment on them.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 17, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ZombieApostate posted:

No, I think his point is reasonable. I hosed up getting my point across. Certainly the right wing has done a tremendous amount to gently caress up Republican voter's heads. I just didn't intent to comment on them.

I appreciate you being cool about it, but I think I made my point like an rear end in a top hat. Sorry for that.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

No biggie, even the :thunk: consuming the earth isn't big enough for that post as it was written, heh.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

So anyway the NY times did a write up on the Notre Dame fire and holy gently caress did the Paris firefighters pull off an amazing stop.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/16/world/europe/notre-dame.html?exclusive=0&action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Touching on this for a bit:

It seems like the PR governor isn’t going to step down or face serious consequences for the leaked group messages. Does PR have any kind of citizen-led recall / removal function? I’m not sure the PR legislative body is willing to impeach on their own.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status...ingawful.com%2F

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We are all so loving stupid.

https://twitter.com/ElizabethPW/status/1151315511801606144?s=19

Literally giving all our poo poo to Russia so we can use the old filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
There are videos of him and Trump 'partying together all over the internet at the moment. All pretty lame, though, no one pissing on anyone yet.