Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyboard_Air

Even if the performance is exaggerated, that's an impressive step-up form those '20 seconds of fuel' 1960 designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deptfordx posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyboard_Air

Even if the performance is exaggerated, that's an impressive step-up form those '20 seconds of fuel' 1960 designs.

It’s also faithful to the Bell Rocket Pack design in that all of its failure modes result in user death.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh totally. The first time I saw those jet packs you stand on I was "Ok, that is a truly spectacular way to die."

The best part, the guy was wearing a parachute, as he zoomed along at a 100 mph just 30' above the ground. Safety first!

Edit: Just checked. So is the guy in the Paris video. Fully OSHA compliant, nothing to worry about. :colbert:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 15, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

golden bubble posted:

Now for something more low tech. In Libya, they're using SAMs as Surface-to-Surface missiles.

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/...genumber%3D1843

direct fire missiles, seems like a terrible idea

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Did they have to rig it to be ballistic instead of guided? If so how did they know its flight characteristics in order to target it? I get the feeling that half the time these guys are just shooting poo poo off “just cuz”

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Deptfordx posted:

Oh totally. The first time I saw those jet packs you stand on I was "Ok, that is a truly spectacular way to die."

The best part, the guy was wearing a parachute, as he zoomed along at a 100 mph just 30' above the ground. Safety first!

Edit: Just checked. So is the guy in the Paris video. Fully OSHA compliant, nothing to worry about. :colbert:

That's actually his backpack full of jetfuel :stare:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Did they have to rig it to be ballistic instead of guided? If so how did they know its flight characteristics in order to target it? I get the feeling that half the time these guys are just shooting poo poo off “just cuz”

I think they're just setting off the rocket engine at the general direction of the enemy. Aren't most AA missiles just a bunch of shrapnel and not a lot of HE?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Does the fuze work properly when you just blast it off like this? Best case scenario is probably it just slams into the target.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Right most SAMs work by using radar ground guidance to steer it towards a target with onboard radar used during the terminal phase. The explosion is mostly shrapnel meant to go off near enough to the supersonic, jet-powered aluminum tube that is the target to mess it up so it can’t fly anymore. That system won’t work when the missile is never more than 200 feet (or whatever) off the ground. I’m guessing the thing is ballistic 100% of the trip and just lands wherever and maybe blows up?

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 16, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Seems like they could find someone clever enough to provide targeting data to the thing. It doesn't ACTUALLY have to be a ground-detected radar hit, it just has to look like the appropriate signal to the missile.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

Seems like they could find someone clever enough to provide targeting data to the thing. It doesn't ACTUALLY have to be a ground-detected radar hit, it just has to look like the appropriate signal to the missile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze_xq0sxnAQ

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

Yeah I imagine there are at least a couple people in the area who are professionally trained/experienced with the system enough to rig it up to do whatever they wanted. Seems a little bit wasteful if they're just treating it like lighting a Grad rocket and having it fly down the street.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The SA-3 is command guided AFAIK, you probably can just shoot it at an arbitrary target using just the backup optical sight.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Considering how many things I've seen jury rigged to hell and back from three middle east, I'm sure they modded it to work better in this role.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I'm still a fan of mounting the multi rocket pods on the back of pickups/flatbeds

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

They should have mounted a flatbed pickup to the missile and mounted a rocket pod on top of the truck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm still a fan of mounting the multi rocket pods on the back of pickups/flatbeds

Or the mounting of T-60/T-72 turrets and baskets on trucks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CommieGIR posted:

Or the mounting of T-60/T-72 turrets and baskets on trucks.

Link? I've seen the BMP turret ones but never a full on tank turret.

edit: beautiful

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 16, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Good thing he has those out riggers else that set up might be dangerous!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

Link? I've seen the BMP turret ones but never a full on tank turret.

edit: beautiful

I really do love and appreciate the ingenuity behind the ridiculous technicals that we’ve seen from Syria to Libya.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Most of the videos of those "rocket pods on a Toyota" end with the pickup on fire.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

Most of the videos of those "rocket pods on a Toyota" end with the pickup on fire.

Inshallah :shrug:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scratch Monkey posted:

It’s the Hilux version of a Viking funeral.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That's why you put them on a MTLB, like the Ukrainians

Alternatively, quad mortars on a bulldozer

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

front end loader

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

golden bubble posted:

https://i.imgur.com/CFd6hJv.jpg[/timg]

I love all the improvised construction equipment.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Sometimes I get really confused about which thread I'm in. This one or the OSHA one

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hot Karl Marx posted:

front end loader

Front end unloader

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

Front end unloader

Front end exploder

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The front end loader actually makes sense as an improvised mortar carrier.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Is that a crack on one of the barrels?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Is that a crack on one of the barrels?

Click for bigger
Looks like it's just a scratch in the paint

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Are there jobs in the US military whose sole role is making and giving slideshows?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Intel.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're called that because they're always inside

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're called that because they're always inside

:wow:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That dude is an officer too. Just noticed that. Should be grounds to revoke commission.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

bird cooch posted:

I love all the improvised demolition equipment.

FTFY

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

Right most SAMs work by using radar ground guidance to steer it towards a target with onboard radar used during the terminal phase. The explosion is mostly shrapnel meant to go off near enough to the supersonic, jet-powered aluminum tube that is the target to mess it up so it can’t fly anymore. That system won’t work when the missile is never more than 200 feet (or whatever) off the ground. I’m guessing the thing is ballistic 100% of the trip and just lands wherever and maybe blows up?

Yeah, antiair missiles use annular blast fragmentation with sensors that point the warhead so the fragmentation pattern intersects the plane.

It doesn't take much to destroy a jet engine, but that low to the ground you're maybe better off with an RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I hope this isn't offtopic for this thread. I'm working on a videogame* that requires a lot of 3D models of military naval ship components -- things like deck guns, bridges, searchlights, the ship hulls themselves, torpedo launchers, etc. Basically everything from early WWI through end of the Cold War, ideally covering all the major factions. I'm gonna have to make the models myself, but it'd be a lot easier if I had a good supply of reference photos to work from. Does anyone know of a good resource where I can find photos like that? Haphazardly googling for things as I think of them isn't the greatest strategy, especially since there are probably things that I don't even know exist and thus won't know to search for them.

* Basically I'm trying to remake Warship Gunner 2, a build-your-own-battleship game for the Playstation 2.