Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Platystemon posted:

(thing about stretching)

This is the shittiest, most dystopic thing yet.
Having team calisthenics before a warehouse shift is actually cool and good you knob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galenanorth posted:

Nah, the training is paid. What I was talking about is that sometimes during the year, people would be stocking shelves faster than items were arriving by truck, so we'd have to wait around for 20 minutes by the conveyor belt until more products came in. Sometimes there'd be no more products coming in that day, so we'd have three options. The first option was getting paid to be trained in another department, like in-warehouse shopping, packing orders to be shipped, unloading boxes from the dock, etc. I wasn't eligible for this because I hadn't been there long enough. I think the requirement for eligibility for that was four months. The second option was going home early and using vacation time. The third option was staying and getting paid, but I think this resulted in having the productivity score, "the rates", going down. Seeing as how taxi fare was an hour's pay each way, I chose the third option and spent my time going about straightening up the place. By this, I meant closing any bins that were sticking out because another shelf stocker forgot to do that after pulling them out and occasionally picking up any stray trash on the floor. Somebody was giving me a ride to and from work sometimes, and most people chose the "go home" option, so in that scenario I'd have to text them that I had decided to stay.

none of this should be loving normalized or considered fine.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmfao holy poo poo. you worked too fast and too well, and our lovely logistics chain means you dont have anything to do for part of your shift, so you can either USE YOUR loving VACATION TIME TO GET SENT HOME EARLY, or have your numbers go down so you look like a worse employee FOR DOING YOUR JOB ABOVE AVERAGE. epic poo poo lol. has amazon heard of the technique that literally everyone else in hourly work uses called 'hey you can clock off early if you want'

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Larry Parrish posted:

lmfao holy poo poo. you worked too fast and too well, and our lovely logistics chain means you dont have anything to do for part of your shift, so you can either USE YOUR loving VACATION TIME TO GET SENT HOME EARLY, or have your numbers go down so you look like a worse employee FOR DOING YOUR JOB ABOVE AVERAGE. epic poo poo lol. has amazon heard of the technique that literally everyone else in hourly work uses called 'hey you can clock off early if you want'

They probably did hear of that but then thought "what would number want us to do?" and you know the answer to that one.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I think they probably gave workers extra vacation time (unpaid) to compensate when the work shortage was bad enough that workers were sent home, but I can't really remember it that well. For the 20 minute gaps, I suppose if all workers in the same department were experiencing the same shortage, it wouldn't have affected my ranking, but yes, we all would've been looking like worse employees.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galenanorth posted:

I think they probably gave workers extra vacation time (unpaid) to compensate when the work shortage was bad enough that workers were sent home, but I can't really remember it that well. For the 20 minute gaps, I suppose if all workers in the same department were experiencing the same shortage, it wouldn't have affected my ranking, but yes, we all would've been looking like worse employees.

none of this should be normalized or considered fine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

galenanorth posted:

we live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only thing more hilarious than amazon's turnover is the fact that can even find anyone to hire. everywhere i've ever been in california has every single corner store, gas station, and fast food restaurant desperate for employees. yeah those jobs sucked but the franchises never hosed me out of breaks etc and i didnt have my crotchety rear end in a top hat manager telling me i couldn't sit to stock the bottom racks of soda or whatever. basically what i'm saying is how does anyway even make it past the first day on these jobs, don't they only pay minimum wage?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

the only thing more hilarious than amazon's turnover is the fact that can even find anyone to hire. everywhere i've ever been in california has every single corner store, gas station, and fast food restaurant desperate for employees. yeah those jobs sucked but the franchises never hosed me out of breaks etc and i didnt have my crotchety rear end in a top hat manager telling me i couldn't sit to stock the bottom racks of soda or whatever. basically what i'm saying is how does anyway even make it past the first day on these jobs, don't they only pay minimum wage?

corner stores don't exist, gas stations don't have employees, and the fight for $15 is a pipe dream in a lot of amazon counties

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

There are contracted workers that get paid minimum wage or healthcare benefits, and they wear white lanyards. The blue lanyards got paid $13/hr when I worked there in Fall 2015. It is now $15/hr thanks to the Fight for $15 campaign and Sen. Sanders' advocacy. Now that I think about it, though, that doesn't include the contracted workers, and the articles I looked up about the minimum wage do not mention contracted workers at all.

https://www.oncontracting.com/client/company/amazon-contract-jobs-reviews-staffing-agencies clearly mentions sub-$15/hr pay rates.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galenanorth posted:

There are contracted workers that get paid minimum wage or healthcare benefits, and they wear white lanyards. The blue lanyards got paid $13/hr when I worked there in Fall 2015. It is now $15/hr thanks to the Fight for $15 campaign and Sen. Sanders' advocacy. Now that I think about it, though, that doesn't include the contracted workers, and the articles I looked up about the minimum wage do not mention contracted workers at all.

https://www.oncontracting.com/client/company/amazon-contract-jobs-reviews-staffing-agencies clearly mentions sub-$15/hr pay rates.

Because it's a bunch of actual bullshit. The 15$ an hour "raise" came with reduced benefits for those who got it, and entirely ignored contract workers which make up a large percentage of the workforce.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

amazon puts their warehouses in economically depressed shitholes, far from the cities

you know those news stories about entire counties that are hosed over because the biggest employer was a single wal-mart store, and that store just closed down because physical retail is being killed by online sales? those are the kinds of places Amazon warehouses get built

Dec 26, 2012

galenanorth posted:

I think they probably gave workers extra vacation time (unpaid) to compensate when the work shortage was bad enough that workers were sent home

loving poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

galenanorth posted:

Nah, the training is paid.

You weren’t having to pay for a cab you otherwise wouldn’t have?

I assumed that’s what the texting your partner meant.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Platystemon posted:

You weren’t having to pay for a cab you otherwise wouldn’t have?

I assumed that’s what the texting your partner meant.

Oh, yeah, it effectively cost me an hour of pay whenever it happened due to interrupting my ride-sharing habit

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/markmilian/status/1151334652319158272?s=20

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I was sad when the biohacker trend didn't result in overmoneyed mutants so hopefully ol musky will thin out the techbros

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tashilicious posted:

none of this should be loving normalized or considered fine.

Most of it yeah. The part about paid training as an alternative to leaving early sounds alright to me.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Agean90 posted:

I was sad when the biohacker trend didn't result in overmoneyed mutants so hopefully ol musky will thin out the techbros

wrong kind of hole in the head but it might be worth a shot

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Most of it yeah. The part about paid training as an alternative to leaving early sounds alright to me.

that should just be part of working there. "sign up for training on x days, do training instead of work and get paid"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

of course Bloomberg farmed out all their Musk coverage to a dedicated fanboy who wrote a Musk biography

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Platystemon posted:

I don’t believe they’re real on the basis that even bootlickers would be afraid of retaliation for posting something about the company, even if they were never negative.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment. but a naming structure (they’re both @amazonfcXXXX) indicates the accounts were specifically created with this intent. I don’t really see even bootlicking floor workers coordinating with other bootlickers to create accounts all on their own. at best they’re being prompted by higher ups “hey you should do this”

I feel it’s more likely a marketing project by marketing employees.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tashilicious posted:

that should just be part of working there. "sign up for training on x days, do training instead of work and get paid"

sure, that too. but the standard if there’s no work for people to do is to send them home. offering training as an alternative so people get paid for their full shift seems like an improvement to me

course it’s super hosed making people who want to leave use vacation time or get hosed on metrics. wtf

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Training new people over and over and over again is a huge drain on resources, and it's all because of the incredible turnover that comes from the way companies treat their employees.

What you think would happen: Okay, we need to reduce turnover, what can we do to increase employee satisfaction?
What actually happens: How can we make training even cheaper and even less effective?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SHOT THROUGH THE BRAIN
AND YOURE TO BLAME
elon gives
where am I

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

And as she looked into those soft blue eyes she instinctively realized, with mammilan certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

quote:

Neuralink’s goal is to leave its sort of mind-reading computer sitting safely and indefinitely inside someone’s head. “All of this will occur actually quite slowly,” Musk says. “It’s not going to be like suddenly, Neuralink will have this incredible neural lace and start taking over people’s brains. It will take a long time, and you will see it coming.”

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011
If we're sharing working for Amazon sucks stories, here's mine from a decade ago. It was a "picker" job in a warehouse in the middle of nowhere but it paid $11 per hour, which was amazing after the crash in '08.

Training was the usual walkthrough, safety video, drug test kind of stuff. You have the minimum legally mandated amount of break time, two 20 minute breaks in a 12 hour shift, and you are *required* to take them because we recently got sued for only having one 20 minute break. You should make sure to carry around a couple of water bottles because it's sometimes over a hundred degrees in the warehouse and you don't want to waste time going to the water fountain that's only in one corner of the building. Also the water bottles you carry around have to have their labels removed - if we catch you with a water bottle that has a label, you will be fired. I'm still not sure why they had that rule. Anti-theft?

Training was unpaid. (I believe this was legal at the time? I'm not sure.)

Week 1. About thirty people gather in this room to start their first day of work. A few names get called to go to the next room, then they start pointing to whoever happened to be near the front desk. About half the people remain. They tell the rest of us that we won't be able to start work this week, but we can call this number to guarantee that we can start next time. And needless to say, you all won't get paid this week. I call the number immediately, they say I'm on the list to start next week, and I go home.

Week 2. I arrive and make sure I'm standing in the front of the room. They call the names of people guaranteed to start that day but they don't call mine and this time they pick people from the *back* of the room to start. Again about half the room won't start work that day. Same story: call and you'll start next time. Again, you obviously won't get paid this week. I call the number again to add me to the "Must Start" list and ask them to double check that I'm guaranteed to start next week, and they assure me I am.

Week 3. Repeat of the above. I'm not on the list and I guessed the side of the room wrong. Another person complains that they should have been on the Must Start list. "Why no I have no idea why you two aren't on the list". Same story: call and you're guaranteed to start next time.

Week 4. There wasn't a week 4. Counting gas, I made negative money on this "job". Not to mention that I could have been looking for an actual job.

Welp that's my story about trying to work at Amazon. In all honesty I probably dodged a bullet.

Thinking back it's sorta like the old photos of the crowds of workers waiting outside factories during the great depression, everyone standing around to see if they'll be able to work that day. Except it's entirely unnecessary and Amazon just decided to treat its employees like garbage.

They clearly needed a huge influx of new workers. A dozen-plus new employees a week means a dozen-plus employees quitting/fired each week.

Millennials hate capitalism because their formative experiences are working for pieces of poo poo companies.

Oh and also the job was technically through a recruitment agency whose only client was Amazon, and the only way to get a job at the warehouse was through that agency. And the agency was next door to the warehouse in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure what legal bullshit that scheme was for, but they weren't trying very hard to hide it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Broke: Skynet is an AI that decides humanity is a threat and uses our own nuclear weapons against us.

Woke: SkynetX is invented as an alternative to EC2 spot pricing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My theory on SkyNet was that it was simply doing what it was programmed to do. It wasn't sentient, just following it's algorithm created by the eternal american war machine.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

My theory on SkyNet was that it was simply doing what it was programmed to do. It wasn't sentient, just following it's algorithm created by the eternal american war machine.

That'd be too scary for a movie if John Connor rolled up on the SkyNet HQ and realized no one/thing was actually there and conscious of what was going on

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Fried Watermelon posted:

That'd be too scary for a movie if John Connor rolled up on the SkyNet HQ and realized no one/thing was actually there and conscious of what was going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRpLLs7SNE

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

MonsieurChoc posted:

The algorithm used for determining which Pakistani gets hellfired by a drone is called SKYNET, so that checks out.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Robo-Slap posted:

Oh and also the job was technically through a recruitment agency whose only client was Amazon, and the only way to get a job at the warehouse was through that agency.

This sort of thing is becoming pretty common for warehouse or low-skilled manufacturing work, not only for Amazon, and I can tell you from experience it's resulting in the stupidest hiring practices you could imagine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

StashAugustine posted:

And as she looked into those soft blue eyes she instinctively realized, with mammilan certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

SHOT THROUGH THE BRAIN
AND YOURE TO BLAME
elon gives
where am I

Hole in the head
You’ll be quite dead
When Elon is done
Drilling your head

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Robo-Slap posted:

Oh and also the job was technically through a recruitment agency whose only client was Amazon, and the only way to get a job at the warehouse was through that agency. And the agency was next door to the warehouse in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure what legal bullshit that scheme was for, but they weren't trying very hard to hide it.

It's because when you hire through an agency your warehouse/factory can retain it's Double-Platinum Quadruple A+ safety ratings and have three billion consecutive days with no incident and some sweet insurance discounts because when someone gets maimed they technically didn't work for you. So your company can say it's totally regulation compliant using 100% domestic labour meanwhile the recruiting agency just doesn't bother with any kind of safety accreditation and they don't pay into worker's comp so they don't have to worry about insurance rates. There's a meat packing plant in Toronto that did this and had like 3 fatal incidents with no consequences, but I think the recruiting agency had to go bankrupt and re-form after each one.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

once saw an article that said that the antivaxxer movement was gnosticism for rich people, glad we now have trepanning for rich people too

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

autism ZX spectrum posted:

It's because when you hire through an agency your warehouse/factory can retain it's Double-Platinum Quadruple A+ safety ratings and have three billion consecutive days with no incident and some sweet insurance discounts because when someone gets maimed they technically didn't work for you. So your company can say it's totally regulation compliant using 100% domestic labour meanwhile the recruiting agency just doesn't bother with any kind of safety accreditation and they don't pay into worker's comp so they don't have to worry about insurance rates. There's a meat packing plant in Toronto that did this and had like 3 fatal incidents with no consequences, but I think the recruiting agency had to go bankrupt and re-form after each one.

Haha this owns. Capitalism ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Musk sucks but this science is pretty cool stuff. Even with just like exterior electrodes on your scalp you can train to move poo poo with Your Mind using a computer that interprets whatever signal you give off when you imagine some poo poo