Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There's no 90's nostalgia because if you're mentally stable you're incredibly ashamed of everything from the 90's except Nirvana and Jurassic Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

There's no 90's nostalgia because if you're mentally stable you're incredibly ashamed of everything from the 90's except Nirvana and Jurassic Park.

I will not be ashamed of my Power Rangers phase

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:wrong:

Batman TAS still rocks.

Also a whole host of other stuff.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

:wrong:

Batman TAS still rocks.

Also a whole host of other stuff.

also nirvana sucks rear end

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The 90s were great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kr2OBhh4c

Exception for Canadians though: Cancon nostalgia loving sucks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Only 90s kids remember
https://youtu.be/5pa6SGYWADU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DiggityDoink posted:

also nirvana sucks rear end

no u

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Yeah, Primus sucks

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA7xDP9sQzk

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You're a 90s kid if you can watch/listen to a song like this and just feel like it's simply the state of the nation, and not feel personally attacked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWhwXhpiMMU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

quotin a fave

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Captain planet was legit a great show and I wish we had an equivalent now. Anti-corporate environmentalist propaganda? Yes please.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i think propaganda is a pretty harsh term for Captain Planet

it shows you how hosed we are already that “don’t litter” is leftist commie indoctrination

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i think propaganda is a pretty harsh term for Captain Planet

it shows you how hosed we are already that “don’t litter” is leftist commie indoctrination

It, uh, is propaganda. It just isn't for something bad.

e: any show on tv not done by some rando on local public access is propaganda. They're all pushing something, and they're all more powerful than you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

What's the opposite of nostalgia? Like when you look back in utter regret or remorse for what used to be.

Tuesday

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

bike tory posted:

Captain planet was legit a great show and I wish we had an equivalent now. Anti-corporate environmentalist propaganda? Yes please.

It wasn't though. It didn't put the blame on corporations and lobbyists and billionaires where it belongs, it put the blame on a few "bad actors" and regular workers. It even had an episode abput overpopulation which, uh, is actually a problem of resource allocation and not "those dirty poors keep loving."

It was propaganda, yes. It was neoliberal "capitalism is fine, it's you, the consumer, who is entirely at fault, you and Pigman Ed Asner" propaganda. Ted Turner was trying to soothe his conscience and stroke his ego.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Running factories and mining operations, things the consumer does and totally not corporations yes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Don Cheadle Captain Planet was right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJaELXadKo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

It wasn't though. It didn't put the blame on corporations and lobbyists and billionaires where it belongs, it put the blame on a few "bad actors" and regular workers. It even had an episode abput overpopulation which, uh, is actually a problem of resource allocation and not "those dirty poors keep loving."

It was propaganda, yes. It was neoliberal "capitalism is fine, it's you, the consumer, who is entirely at fault, you and Pigman Ed Asner" propaganda. Ted Turner was trying to soothe his conscience and stroke his ego.

I'm not saying it was perfectly woke marxism but it was far more ideological than any kids shows since, and despite the PSAs about personal responsibility, all the villains represented corporate interests.

lol I just googled it and the very first episode of the show they have to stop a bad guy called Hoggish Greedly drilling for oil. But sure it's all about individual responsibility.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Jul 17, 2019

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It wasn't particularly unique to Captain Planet, though. The early 90s were overloaded with environmentalism stuff aimed at kids (to the point that the loving Toxic Avenger got his own cartoon), and yeah, the enemy was usually some stand-in for industrialism (like Montana Max mowing down whole forests to make ice cream spoons).

I think we haven't gotten anything like that since then just because recycling stopped being a weird new thing and just became one more bin on the curb.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a question

For some reason the fat version of Bugs Bunny became known as Big Chungus, but I distinctly remember a much older meme that was a screenshot of a character from some Second Life like game of a gargantuan tiny headed person in what looked like lingerie equipment and someone saying "that's a girl's outfit" and the response was "Big Chungus has no need for gender"

Did I dream this? It's impossible to find now but maybe Big Chungus was inside me all along

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You're delving too deep

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Heath posted:

I have a question

For some reason the fat version of Bugs Bunny became known as Big Chungus, but I distinctly remember a much older meme that was a screenshot of a character from some Second Life like game of a gargantuan tiny headed person in what looked like lingerie equipment and someone saying "that's a girl's outfit" and the response was "Big Chungus has no need for gender"

Did I dream this? It's impossible to find now but maybe Big Chungus was inside me all along

Are you thinking of Ralph pootawn?

That's the only second life meme I can remember other than crashing simulcast events with dick copters

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found it

I got some of the details wrong but the spirit of the thing is what matters

Heath has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Jul 17, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

David Duchovney is only going cause he wants to gently caress an alien.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Heath posted:

I found it

I got some of the details wrong but the spirit of the thing is what matters

lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Great things do come.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

CannonFodder posted:

As valid a reason as any, and noble

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CannonFodder posted:

It's why I'm going

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

I mean, why wouldn't you?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's a noble goal. Humanity went to the moon not because it was easy, but because we were hard.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CannonFodder posted:

....there are other reasons people are going?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

bike tory posted:

OK KO (a newer show that is also great) did a captain planet episode, even bringing back some of the voice actors and imitating the style for key jokes and it ruled

video unrelated
https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_pur8q1KIj31yqs70l.mp4

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/Mr_Meowwwgi/status/1151401391866425344?s=20

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CannonFodder posted:

Isn't that everyone?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I think "gonna clap those alien cheeks" is listed first in the reasons they're doing it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

It's real. We had a sub called DPPH that, in total, featured one guy with a nice dick, one moderately attractive woman, and then a nightmare carnival of pock-marked oily goonflesh straight out of KNB workshop.

Wasn't this gif from DPPH?

:nws:
:sonia:

It's in spoiler text cause it does technically have like 2 pixel wide boobs, but it's one of SA's smilies.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Jul 17, 2019

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Softface posted:

I think "gonna clap those alien cheeks" is listed first in the reasons they're doing it.

What does that mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

freeedr posted:

What does that mean

It means they're going to gently caress the aliens.