Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

lmao

Harik posted:

Consider buying a 2920x threadripper now since it's heading towards $300 from the original $650 and keep it until the zen2+ refresh on the refined 7nm process with some actual OC headroom?

I don't think you'll be missing out on PCIe4 when there's so many lanes coming off the chip, the only thing that could measurably bottleneck is sequential benchmark speeds on a handful of NVMe drives, and it's not like those are hitting the 4.0 limits - they're just slightly faster than 3.0 can handle. You still gain the benefits of the newer PCIe 4.0 NVMe controller in terms of better queues and IOPS, just not raw bandwidth.

e: I bought my 2920x thinking it'd be a placeholder but it's not remotely a bottleneck for anything I do so next upgrade money will probably be a 5900xt GPU if those end up happening.

yeah I don't feel like this is malpractice advice for those of us who are workstation type customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Xerophyte posted:

Are there any good AIOs for TR4 now?
Ahahahahahahaha!

:(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
According to my APC program, switching to Ryzen gained me another 20 minutes of battery backup time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cojawfee posted:

According to my APC program, switching to Ryzen gained me another 20 minutes of battery backup time.

Same powersupply?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pixaal posted:

Same powersupply?

Yeah, all I did was swap out the motherboard and CPU.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Apparently undervolting Ryzen 3000 is not recommended unless you also set a fixed frequency:

The Stilt on Overclock.net posted:

Its not wise to undervolt Matisse, unless you enable the OC-Mode (fixed frequency).

That's because the CPU is constantly monitoring its supply voltage.
When it sees the supply voltage below the desired level, it starts increasing the VID request from the VRM controller.
When the VID request increases above the maximum voltage allowed by FIT, the clock stretchers will kick in. Your performance will decrease, despite the change is not visible
in the frequencies diplayed by the usual monitoring software.

For example on the 3900X sample I have, the default VID request during CB20 NT is 1.3125V.
With the offset set to -25mV the VID request raises to 1.33125V or so. At -75mV the VID request is already 1.36875V and increasing the negative offset any further will trip the stretchers.

There is an undervolting margin available, but it is tiny.
The exact behavior will depend on the silicon specimen and the workload.

Its also the very reason why this guy thinks he is running at > 4.2GHz with just 1.00V...

Also, a follow-up to the original video (now removed) that comment was in response to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wM3obN2pAE

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
hmm it looks like there's a significant PPW gain by undervolting/clocking to 3.5GHz still. Not max perf, but like 40% less power for 20% less perf. That's probably why the Epyc clocks are around there for the 64 core monsters.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
It would be nice to have a real DVFS surface that could do 1.3 or whatever for the highend single core uses but drop down to 1V for the multicore stuff

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

orcane posted:

Not as intuitive as Asrock or Asus in my experience with recent boards. I have a B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi and the UI is a mess of things you can click or you expand/toggle with <enter> and options you can only change by entering numbers directly or using keys to alter the values (+/- or pgup/pgdn, I can't remember).

It does have all the feature I want (offsets, PBO etc.), it's just harder than necessary to find them.

the best thing about msi's b450 mbs not having enough room for the full bios post-zen2 is that it means they had to turn off all the dumb fancy graphical poo poo. the text-based "lite" bios is boring and old-fashioned and internally consistent and just what i, a boring and old person, want

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Soricidus posted:

the best thing about msi's b450 mbs not having enough room for the full bios post-zen2 is that it means they had to turn off all the dumb fancy graphical poo poo.

Speak for yourself. I like that poo poo and now I’m shook.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

At least on the Tomahawk the description says temporarily removed. So I suspect they are making a new one that's smaller and more optimized when Ryzen 3000 has a non beta BIOS. I don't think we'll see that for another month or two.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Craptacular! posted:

see above re: me being boring and old. i am also grumpy that i had to go to extra effort to turn off the rgb light show on the stock 3700x cooler, because i hate things that are cool and fun

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Soricidus posted:

the best thing about msi's b450 mbs not having enough room for the full bios post-zen2 is that it means they had to turn off all the dumb fancy graphical poo poo. the text-based "lite" bios is boring and old-fashioned and internally consistent and just what i, a boring and old person, want

Yeah, when I heard about all this ruckus with MSI's BIOS, and actually looked it up for myself, I couldn't really understand the problem with the interface itself.

I'm used to good ol' text based keyboard navigated BIOSes... I mean, you get your poo poo done and you leave, most likely never to look in there again.. why do we need animated logos and stuff anyway?

.. But that said, apparently it was more than just the loss of some images. RAID functionality was flat out broken, which is utterly hilarious. OK, nobody in their right mind uses BIOS fakeraid anyway, but still, it's borderline unbelievable that a company would choose to wreck RAID functionality..

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

pixaal posted:

At least on the Tomahawk the description says temporarily removed. So I suspect they are making a new one that's smaller and more optimized when Ryzen 3000 has a non beta BIOS. I don't think we'll see that for another month or two.

They could even go with dumping Zen1 for space if they really need to, since they have BIOS Flashback having two incompatible BIOS and telling you to flash the one for the generation you use isn’t impossible even if it’s inconvenient.

I was semi sarcastic about the being shook, I’m more concerned it means this board won’t get Zen4.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I assume you mean Ryzen 4000 series?

Makes me wonder where there is left to got. Already on 7nm so they can't even jam any more cache in there. Just clock speeds? The same percentage uplift from Ryzen 1000 to Ryzen 2000 would actually be alright considering the "base" performance for 3000 series is so high to begin with.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, that was what I meant. Maybe they won’t be that different from a firmware perspective.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Seamonster posted:

I assume you mean Ryzen 4000 series?

Makes me wonder where there is left to got. Already on 7nm so they can't even jam any more cache in there. Just clock speeds? The same percentage uplift from Ryzen 1000 to Ryzen 2000 would actually be alright considering the "base" performance for 3000 series is so high to begin with.

7nm+ should have higher clocks and the Zen 3 uarch should have another step up in IPC, I think they will probably stay at 16 cores as the maximum though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
MSI is releasing a new b450 revision with a larger bios chip. It's part of why I haven't bought one yet.

MaxxBot posted:

7nm+ should have higher clocks and the Zen 3 uarch should have another step up in IPC, I think they will probably stay at 16 cores as the maximum though.
Zen3 supposedly has SMT optimizations. Zen2's SMT reserves a static amount of cache which is part of why disabling SMT increases game performance across the stack. I don't know if zen3 changes that, probably not, but some rumors hinted they'll have multiple SMT threads per core which would be nice for servers but kind of questionable for consumers.

I haven't heard anything else about zen3 that's remotely credible. Realistically, there may be some power efficiency and slight clock speed gains at worst. If they squeeze in some ipc gains, especially for int which lags intel a bit, it will be cool but probably not a killer upgrade.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 16, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hot dog, there's a new BIOS floating around for the X370 Taichi that brings AGESA up to 1.0.0.3 (Linux/Destiny 2 bug still in sounds like, fixed in later revisions of 1.0.0.3) that apparently fixes some issues that were affecting me. Deffo gonna load that up when I get home from work tonight. For anyone else on the same motherboard and Ryzen 3x00.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-542.html#post28045924

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It's odd that we know next to nothing about Zen3 yet it's like, what 8-14 months till release? Moving to SMT4 is like, very HPC specific is it not? Maybe Zen2 and Zen3 are supposed to coexist side by side until Zen4 replaces them?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I finally put in a 3900x in my MSI x470 and so far it works great, no issues with memory speed, temperatures bios or anything else. I had a 2600x in it before so it is significantly faster in pretty much everything, hard not to notice. I played some Nier at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti and was struggling with 40-50 fps and now I'm hitting and staying at 140 so it seems I had really gimped my performance with the 2600x. Going to run some compile tests for work tomorrow, but one blender project I tried cut the render time to 1/3rd.

Edit: Also according to hwinfo I hit max boost on four cores at some point.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 17, 2019

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I installed some 3600CL16 RAM in my system (3700X, ASRock B450M Pro4) and have the XMP profile set in BIOS. Memtest86 recognizes the RAM as running at 3600MHz but CPU-Z in Windows only shows it running at 1066/2133. Is my RAM not running at 3600MHz in Windows for some reason?

EDIT: OK, it appears Memtest isn't actually displaying current RAM frequency and is just displaying the SPD info. Looks like the BIOS is just refusing to change my RAM speed.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 17, 2019

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Rusty posted:

I played some Nier at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti and was struggling with 40-50 fps and now I'm hitting and staying at 140 so it seems I had really gimped my performance with the 2600x.

That's pretty nuts

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rusty posted:

I played some Nier at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti and was struggling with 40-50 fps and now I'm hitting and staying at 140 so it seems I had really gimped my performance with the 2600x.

I think Nier was a real bad port so this is possible but I don't think that was the 2600x's fault.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

shrike82 posted:

That's pretty nuts

It sounds like there was a problem at release and AMD released a hotfix a while later. It's definitely not reflective of relative CPU performance, and the 2600X (or even 1600) should be fine for Nier now. Having to wait several months for a hotfix is pretty bad, but it's not clear where the fault ultimately lay.

E: Finally being able to play Nier is a big win though :)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 17, 2019

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I definitely don't have such a large gap with other games but this was one I had been struggling with and ended up giving up trying to hit 60 so I tried after the upgrade and it's better now somehow.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Microcenter employee has no idea when they will get more 3700X or 3900X, at this rate maybe I will wait for the 3950X.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, so I enabled XMP2 in my BIOS and I'm only getting 1600 MHz out of it in Windows. Shouldn't it be 3200? Memtest86+ got all 3200 MHz for what it's worth.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

iospace posted:

Alright, so I enabled XMP2 in my BIOS and I'm only getting 1600 MHz out of it in Windows. Shouldn't it be 3200? Memtest86+ got all 3200 MHz for what it's worth.
The 3200 is a doubling of 1600 so it looks to be working correctly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Conartist posted:

The 3200 is a doubling of 1600 so it looks to be working correctly.

So the speed you see in Windows is half that of what the actual speed will be then?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

iospace posted:

So the speed you see in Windows is half that of what the actual speed will be then?

Yes, that's how Double Data Rate memory works.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:doh:

I feel ashamed now.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

So I got my X570 Taichi today with a Ryzen 3600, and I can't hear it once it starts up and the highest temp sensor on the motherboard is 38 C.

The Reddit post complaining about overheating and all the X570 sound clips made me paranoid, but it seems fine.

Ideally there would be no fan on the board, but so far I'm okay with it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Loaded up that BIOS I posted about earlier for the X370 Taichi. I can run my RAM at XMP 3200 again along with hitting 4.5Ghz single core boosts according to HWiNFO on the 3900X. Hot dog.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Why are people buying 570 boards exactly?

I'm in the market for a new set up but looking at some basic 450 board. Is there anything apart from PCI4 and SLI that I'll be missing out on? (I wont use either anyway)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mikojan posted:

I'm in the market for a new set up but looking at some basic 450 board. Is there anything apart from PCI4 and SLI that I'll be missing out on? (I wont use either anyway)

You need an old cpu to flash the 450, or buy one that will do flash without a cpu. There is also an issue with the BIOS chip size and 3000 series update dropping support for the oldest CPUs.

In the end not a bug deal but it limits you to a handful of B450 boards until vendors release updated B450 boards that support 3000 out of box and have the larger BIOS chip.

There's plenty of good b450 boards, you should be fine with one as long as you have a way to update BIOS.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mikojan posted:

Mid to high end x570 boards are generally nicer than comparatively priced x470 but if you don't need the bells and whistles, just get a B450 board. Msi Tomahawk/Mortar are the usual suggestions.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Mikojan posted:

Basically, I assume that I'll upgrade my CPU, RAM, and GPU at some point in the next couple years, and the x570's will have some better headroom for upgrading. By the time stuff is coming out to obsolete the mobo entirely, I'll probably be building a whole new system anyway, and it might not even be AMD at that point. Plus the price difference isn't that big compared to the costs of video cards and CPU so, why not!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

The Gate posted:

Basically, I assume that I'll upgrade my CPU, RAM, and GPU at some point in the next couple years, and the x570's will have some better headroom for upgrading. By the time stuff is coming out to obsolete the mobo entirely, I'll probably be building a whole new system anyway, and it might not even be AMD at that point. Plus the price difference isn't that big compared to the costs of video cards and CPU so, why not!

It’s also nice to know that they will work with Ryzen 2 out of the box while the rest of us twiddle our thumbs waiting for companies to release a bios that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

B-Mac posted:

It’s also nice to know that they will work with Ryzen 2 out of the box while the rest of us twiddle our thumbs waiting for companies to release a bios that works.

Also true, and I'll be honest I haven't built a PC in 7 years so like, I wanted this time to go as smoothly as possible. :v: