Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm trying to blow off Lavok's Sphere until I hit my desired level to dual into mage so I can get my funky space house, which may not happen until after chapter 2. is that feasible or do I need to settle for the lamo warrior castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Your daily Tweaks Anthology Mod advertiser here to ask the question: Por que no los dos?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Your daily Tweaks Anthology Mod advertiser here to ask the question: Por que no los dos?

meh

serious answer is that it seemed silly to get them all so I said no to that tweak, think ill of me if you wish.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 16, 2019

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

You can refuse the ones you don't want, I believe.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

SoggyBobcat posted:

You can refuse the ones you don't want, I believe.

Yes I'm aware of that. The question is whether I can ignore the quest for the one I want until later.

E: looked up the answer elsewhere like I probably should've done and the answer is yes stay safe cosmic houseboat

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 16, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

meh

serious answer is that it seemed silly to get them all so I said no to that tweak, think ill of me if you wish.

A few of then also glitch out and won't resolve for a different class. The fighter, druid, and ranger ones come to mind.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you're eligible but refuse the fighter stronghold Nalia gets pissed at you and you can't keep her around. Probably not a great loss of you're planning to go f/m but maybe something to keep in mind.

Also what level are you planning to dual? Because of our want immediately on waking up in Irenicus' dungeon then I'm assuming it's level 9, which you should be able to get just by doing the slavers and the tent in waukeens promenade

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

bike tory posted:

If you're eligible but refuse the fighter stronghold Nalia gets pissed at you and you can't keep her around. Probably not a great loss of you're planning to go f/m but maybe something to keep in mind.

Also what level are you planning to dual? Because of our want immediately on waking up in Irenicus' dungeon then I'm assuming it's level 9, which you should be able to get just by doing the slavers and the tent in waukeens promenade

planning on dualing at 13 like a tryhard for ToB. I was already at 10 at the get go thanks to siege of dragonspear so by the end of irenicus' dungeon I'm about 500k away from dualing

I'm optimistically hoping I'll be at that point before I shove off for spellhold with a full group, we'll see

E: I also don't give a poo poo about nalia I'm gettin' me that flail and then smell you later

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 16, 2019

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

planning on dualing at 13 like a tryhard for ToB. I was already at 10 at the get go thanks to siege of dragonspear so by the end of irenicus' dungeon I'm about 500k away from dualing

I'm optimistically hoping I'll be at that point before I shove off for spellhold with a full group, we'll see

E: I also don't give a poo poo about nalia I'm gettin' me that flail and then smell you later

I never found that extra half attack from level 13 worth it. That said, you should be able to get there before leaving for spellhold. A smaller party always gets there faster of course.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

rocketrobot posted:

I never found that extra half attack from level 13 worth it. That said, you should be able to get there before leaving for spellhold. A smaller party always gets there faster of course.

I've usually dualled at 9 in past runs and if I hadn't hit 10 by the end of SoD (there was no loving way I was crippling myself at the end stages of that ordeal) I'd have definitely dualled right out of the gate, so this is kind of an experiment for me - you may be right

also tried focusing mastery on katanas this run out of sheer curiosity and am regretting it so far, but I'll probably feel better about it when I get celestial fury

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I've done that build. Celestial Fury will make your pain go away. There's a +2 katana with an AC bonus in Spellhold that will make you feel like you have a complete equipment set if you're dual wielding.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'll prob end up grabbing belm for my offhand for the extra attack and swapping to upgraded Hindo's for my main in ToB

not saying it's terrible but it hasn't really impressed so far, especially given what a pain good ones are to get ahold of

PS: also M'Khiin was an absolute joy to have in my group and it's criminal she won't show up in the sequel, I'm absolutely going to do a shaman run at some point down the line

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 16, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shaman is low key one of my fav classes now. Not because its powerful, just fun. It's a shame they made the summon ability such dogshit. At very least they could've still let you move around while doing it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In the last quarter or so of BG1 and a realization has dawned on me, this game has quite possibly the best plot and villain Bioware has ever done. I know I'm in the absolute minority with that, but the constant sense of escalation and layers over layers of conspiracy. There's a lot of little details I always forget, like how Sarevok manipulates his own dad to placate him, blame the Zhentarim, and eventually take power. And that's just one small piece of the puzzle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

In the last quarter or so of BG1 and a realization has dawned on me, this game has quite possibly the best plot and villain Bioware has ever done. I know I'm in the absolute minority with that, but the constant sense of escalation and layers over layers of conspiracy. There's a lot of little details I always forget, like how Sarevok manipulates his own dad to placate him, blame the Zhentarim, and eventually take power. And that's just one small piece of the puzzle.

Nah, in terms of overall plot BG1 is probably the best of the trilogy and it's not like any of their later games had better ones, they just have more in depth character interactions.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I also think exploring the Sword Coast region in BG1 is a lot of fun and hasn't really been done as well in most other RPGs.

Witcher maybe, but I didn't get far enough.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Rampaging through the Xvart village the first time was heartbreaking.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Vichan posted:

Rampaging through the Xvart village the first time was heartbreaking.

That's one of my favorite encounters! I usually wait until I've got a couple AoE spells to throw around so they just get almost immediately obliterated.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I don't think I've ever seen Xvarts in another game before or since.

Did we genocide them?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They were purged after 2nd edition as a part of a great clone monster cleansing.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

bike tory posted:

Shaman is low key one of my fav classes now. Not because its powerful, just fun. It's a shame they made the summon ability such dogshit. At very least they could've still let you move around while doing it

"I'm out of spells and arrows. I guess it's time for a dance off."

Best class.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Glad to hear some love for Shaman because one day I’m gonna play as one. How do their spells work? Is it Druid spells but used like a sorcerer instead of a mage?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Glad to hear some love for Shaman because one day I’m gonna play as one. How do their spells work? Is it Druid spells but used like a sorcerer instead of a mage?

Basically

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Shamans are absolutely played for theme instead of effectiveness.

Their unique spells are awful until the late ones, at which point they're merely worse than their other options.
Their xp requirements per level are even worse than a normal druid's.
No bonus spell slots for high wisdom like a normal druid, so their actual casts per day is not much more than a normal druid.
Get access to spell levels later than normal druid (level 1 spells only until level 4!)
No stronghold in BG2.

What about their summoning dance? The summoning dance is useful if you feel like wadding your turn up between your palms and hucking it over your shoulder.
- Cannot move or do anything else while dancing.
- +4 armor penalty while dancing.
- Random whether you even get a summon at all. Not even good odds!
- Summons are weaker than what you get for just casting a summon spell at the same level.
- Summons cannot move outside the shaman's LoS (did I mention shamans can't move while dancing?)
- Summons vanish instantly if the shaman does anything except continue to dance, so you can't have the action economy advantage of having your summons act at the same time as your druid acts, which is the entire point of summoning.

The only advantage I can think of over a normal druid is they get axe proficiency instead of scimitars, which is probably better in BG2, not that they can make any use of it, since Shamans can't multi or dual class to get a good THACO, attacks per round, or hit points. Besides both Minsc and Khorgan start with axe proficiency, so no matter whether you're going with a good or evil party your lovely shaman is going to have to compete with an actual fighter class for use of the good axes.

Of course you can win with a shaman, you can win with a minimum-stats Jester if you know the game well enough, but if you want something actually effective you're better off with a regular or kitted druid (for the better xp curve, more spell slots, or dual/multiclass options), or a sorcerer (for the infinitely better spell list).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

minimum-stats Jester
I've never heard my life summed up so succinctly

Someone should make a mod that changes shamans to be useful, ie, fixing the dance to not suck as bad

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are Shamans one of the classes unable to be dual classed? A dual class fighter/thief Shaman doesn't sound terribad if possible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

They were purged after 2nd edition as a part of a great clone monster cleansing.

They got released in Volo's Guide to Monsters a few years ago.

Also funny enough they are now literal clones. All of them are smaller copies of their god who created them as decoys for anyone trying to find him. He is also kind of a huge jerk to them.

VGtM posted:

Raxivort can hear their supplications, but he’s too afraid to come out of hiding most of the time. Occasionally, he does appear before a tribe of worshipers as a 9-foot-tall xvart carrying an empty sack. In every such instance, Raxivort takes all of the treasure that the tribe has accumulated, stuffs it in his sack, and disappears, leaving nothing behind as compensation.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Holy poo poo it’s there god is like a reverse Santa Clause. I like how he appears with the empty sack and just robs the only people who believe in him. And the contempt he has for them! It’s like Blataria and the Poozers!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

chaosapiant posted:

Are Shamans one of the classes unable to be dual classed? A dual class fighter/thief Shaman doesn't sound terribad if possible.

No dual or multiclassed Shamans, no.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also funny enough they are now literal clones. All of them are smaller copies of their god who created them as decoys for anyone trying to find him. He is also kind of a huge jerk to them.

loving lol these guys rule what dope decided to get rid of them

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Someone should make a mod that changes shamans to be useful, ie, fixing the dance to not suck as bad

I was about to ask if there was a mod that makes Shaman not terrible. The more I hear about them the less appealing they seem even though "sorcerer priest" should be an enticing option. However, people have made things like shifter druids and non-Blade bards respectable, so anything is possible.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I was about to ask if there was a mod that makes Shaman not terrible. The more I hear about them the less appealing they seem even though "sorcerer priest" should be an enticing option. However, people have made things like shifter druids and non-Blade bards respectable, so anything is possible.

Would love to have a bard kit that can cast spells like sorcerers do. Probably would be overpowered though.

Trying to do another playthrough but having a really tough time getting mods to work right (did my only full playthrough modless). Something is messing with my class abilities and let's my thief use every item, even from level 1. I think it's something to do with item revisions or rogue rebalancing, but can't seem to nail it down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zarfol posted:

Would love to have a bard kit that can cast spells like sorcerers do. Probably would be overpowered though.

Trying to do another playthrough but having a really tough time getting mods to work right (did my only full playthrough modless). Something is messing with my class abilities and let's my thief use every item, even from level 1. I think it's something to do with item revisions or rogue rebalancing, but can't seem to nail it down.

That's how bards work in third edition.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Shamans are absolutely played for theme instead of effectiveness.

Their unique spells are awful until the late ones, at which point they're merely worse than their other options.
Their xp requirements per level are even worse than a normal druid's.
No bonus spell slots for high wisdom like a normal druid, so their actual casts per day is not much more than a normal druid.
Get access to spell levels later than normal druid (level 1 spells only until level 4!)
No stronghold in BG2.

What about their summoning dance? The summoning dance is useful if you feel like wadding your turn up between your palms and hucking it over your shoulder.
- Cannot move or do anything else while dancing.
- +4 armor penalty while dancing.
- Random whether you even get a summon at all. Not even good odds!
- Summons are weaker than what you get for just casting a summon spell at the same level.
- Summons cannot move outside the shaman's LoS (did I mention shamans can't move while dancing?)
- Summons vanish instantly if the shaman does anything except continue to dance, so you can't have the action economy advantage of having your summons act at the same time as your druid acts, which is the entire point of summoning.

The only advantage I can think of over a normal druid is they get axe proficiency instead of scimitars, which is probably better in BG2, not that they can make any use of it, since Shamans can't multi or dual class to get a good THACO, attacks per round, or hit points. Besides both Minsc and Khorgan start with axe proficiency, so no matter whether you're going with a good or evil party your lovely shaman is going to have to compete with an actual fighter class for use of the good axes.

Of course you can win with a shaman, you can win with a minimum-stats Jester if you know the game well enough, but if you want something actually effective you're better off with a regular or kitted druid (for the better xp curve, more spell slots, or dual/multiclass options), or a sorcerer (for the infinitely better spell list).

Their unique spells are good aside from the level 1 one. Withering fog is another good AoE to layer in web/grease/etc, and the level 3 spell that removes a bunch of disables is super useful because it's instant cast. Then spirit fire is great, of course.

I generally think they should get rid of the level 1 spell and shift all the others down a spell level but I actually like their unique spells.

Spirit dance shouldn't disable the shaman and shouldn't be chance based imo, but it's better than equivalent level summons because it's basically infinite. That gives it some great situational uses in BG1, like when you're killing drizzt.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Given how much shaman figured into the marketing material, one would think that they would try really hard to make them not shite. Perhaps they were shackled by pen and paper rules, but I'm not sure what edition or source book this interpretation of shaman was based on.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bike tory posted:

Their unique spells are good aside from the level 1 one. Withering fog is another good AoE to layer in web/grease/etc, and the level 3 spell that removes a bunch of disables is super useful because it's instant cast. Then spirit fire is great, of course.

I generally think they should get rid of the level 1 spell and shift all the others down a spell level but I actually like their unique spells.

Spirit dance shouldn't disable the shaman and shouldn't be chance based imo, but it's better than equivalent level summons because it's basically infinite. That gives it some great situational uses in BG1, like when you're killing drizzt.

I dunno, Withering Fog only has a 20% chance of applying its disable, and then it allows a saving throw on top of that. Without its disable you're just getting a pathetic 1d3 damage. I'll grant that it's probably more useful than some other level 2 druid spell, but that says more about how bad the druid spell list is than about Withering Fog being good. It's hard to justify spending your turn casting it instead of doing anything else. If you're desperate to get a better level 2 spell on your single-class druid, play an Avenger and get Web. Avengers also get their second rank of spells at level 3, Shamans have to wait until level 4 to get their AoE 2 cold damage per round.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordaedil posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

They were updated for Living Greyhawk (and then got updated to 3.5 in an issue of Dragon), but they were always "just another goblin." Ed Greenwood notably called them out for this in a review of the original Fiend Folio. I don't pay much attention to post-3E fluff, but I super love the 5E background for the Xvarts.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeh I'm not arguing that they're powerhouses, just that they have a niche that isn't totally useless. Cloud based damage over time is really strong in these games because of how many protections it bypasses, and how it fucks with spellcasters.

E: they= shaman, not xvarts

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 18, 2019

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019
I played through the BG series 4-5 times many years ago and loved it, but I never played SoD. Recently I've been listening to Mages and Murderdad, a postcast/let's play of the BG series, and it's gotten me itching to play through the series again, but using the enhanced edition (just bought the entire series on Steam). As I've played through BG many times, I want to power game through it this time, since my time is much shorter now that I have a family. Specifically, I want to play a broken multiclass of some kind (Kensai/Assassin/Sorcerer multiclass), but have no idea how to go about it. I figured that this would be a solved issue by now, but reading the forums online, it seems like if you add those kits to a character using EEKeeper, it doesn't correctly give kit bonuses as you level up.

Is there some sort of mod/steps I can take so I can have a multiclass that has 2 or 3 kits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

just_a_person posted:

I played through the BG series 4-5 times many years ago and loved it, but I never played SoD. Recently I've been listening to Mages and Murderdad, a postcast/let's play of the BG series, and it's gotten me itching to play through the series again, but using the enhanced edition (just bought the entire series on Steam). As I've played through BG many times, I want to power game through it this time, since my time is much shorter now that I have a family. Specifically, I want to play a broken multiclass of some kind (Kensai/Assassin/Sorcerer multiclass), but have no idea how to go about it. I figured that this would be a solved issue by now, but reading the forums online, it seems like if you add those kits to a character using EEKeeper, it doesn't correctly give kit bonuses as you level up.

Is there some sort of mod/steps I can take so I can have a multiclass that has 2 or 3 kits?

100% unnecessary and not worth the hassle, they made difficulty options for this reason