Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ha, I was going to post that article.

I know that reaction is predominately an American thing regarding US bureaucracies or schools or DMVs or passports or whatever not understanding that both last names are significant as opposed to the Anglo single last name style.

It generally comes up as one of the many little ways the US institutionally doesn't bother to extend the basic courtesy of getting someone's name right.

E: to be clear, by bastard, I don't mean like some great Dickensian-style shame, but I know mothers have complained that people would think their husband wasn't involved in their child's life or that they were an unwed mother because some dipshit routinely neglected half of their kid's name.

Also I may well be somewhat butchering some of the nuances around this, so forgive me if I am and feel free to correct anything I mischaracterize

People usually only put the paternal and maternal apellido together if they’re very common and the child would have been easily confused with other people.

The reason why it makes no sense that “a mother complained about the appearance of having only one last name” is that the child would already have the father’s apellido. The vast majority of people just use their paternal apellido and never use two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Hunt11 posted:

We all know that nothing exemplifies the US like a champion USSR boxer.

Who murdered all-American Apollo Creed after the most American boxing intro of all time.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Turned on NPR today and they had a Republican congressman on to ask him if what Trump said was racist. Turned it off.

Turned it back on ten minutes later to hear the anchor say ".... controversial remarks which many have accused of being racist. In a few minutes we'll speak with Trump voters for their perspective"

What a lovely network.

Maybe you should have kept listening, I heard the phrase "racist remarks" several times this weekend, yesterday and this morning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ruminahui posted:

People usually only put the paternal and maternal apellido together if they’re very common and the child would have been easily confused with other people.

The reason why it makes no sense that “a mother complained about the appearance of having only one last name” is that the child would already have the father’s apellido. The vast majority of people just use their paternal apellido and never use two.
Yeah the majority of people i have in my government office use just their first last name. But when I am doing a marriage license we have to use the full name by law.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Who murdered all-American Apollo Creed after the most American boxing intro of all time.

Killing a black guy is about as American as it gets.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Nail Rat posted:

Murdered patriotic black man for outshining his moment, yeah they would cheer for Drago wouldn't they :shepface:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A lot of Native Americans whose family name is multiple words will condense it into one word to get it on a document. So you'll end up with something like Whitebuffalo instead of White Buffalo.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Shifty Pony posted:

Does it go into the issues that those with "Asian" hair genetics face? My understanding is that they have to almost destroy their hair to get it to hold the slight waves or curls which can usually be fairly easily set on western fashion models.

Ah, no it didn't it's basically about African-descent hair, Chris Rock is the narrator. I actually didn't know that about Asian-descent hair not wanting to take curls! (I could talk about hair all day but I'll stop derailing now.)

Western standards of beauty are toxic and horrible and it sucks that our media reach is so far.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now posted:

For anyone unfamiliar with naming conventions in Latin America, a child typically takes both the mother's and the father's name. Omitting one implies, depending on circumstance, that someone was raised by a single parent or is illegitimate etc.

It's pretty drat offensive to omit

I work in medical records, and this presents a constant issue. It's my go-to example of institutional and technical race bias.

To use the example of AOC, her last name might be listed in my system as Ocasio, Cortez, Ocasio-Cortez, Ocasio Cortez, or maybe even Ocasiocortez. When I'm trying to reconcile records with another institution they might have it in another way. So that's at least 5² possibilities to cross check if I can't find a match by DOB or SSN. This results in a minor irritation for me, a potential for a delay in care, or matching the wrong two records. That last one could be a Big loving Deal obviously.

Our software can handle white last names. O'Reilly=OReilly, Mccoy=McCoy, St. John=St John. It should be able to compensate for this convention too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The best last name thing is foreign names with spaces in them so people just chop off half. Like people shortening Kim Jung to just "kim"

Lucania
May 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1151485660211159041

Also, my brother is dealing with last name- induced bureaucracy right now because his [Puerto Rican] birth certificate has two last names (much to his surprise) and all his other IDs/documents have only our father's last name - so he can't get a copy of his Social Security card because of the discrepancy. The SS office told him he has to go file a name change through the court.

Lucania fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 17, 2019

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Nail Rat posted:

Apollo Creed was a cocky show off. JuST sHuT uP aNd BoX

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1151462855008509953?s=19

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Star Man posted:

A lot of Native Americans whose family name is multiple words will condense it into one word to get it on a document. So you'll end up with something like Whitebuffalo instead of White Buffalo.

And it’s not always unintentional, as some people might infer. For example, on birth certificates, Quebec forbids parents from writing diacritical marks other than those that would exist in English or French transcription. They can clearly handle those, since many of them are used in French under various circumstances and there’s no system I can think of that would be able to handle some accents but not others, it’s just a desire to erase other cultures.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

By this point they had both already raped many children.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FizFashizzle posted:

Off the top of my head the lead actors in the biggest action movies of the eighties were like Michael Biehn, Michael Keaton, and Peter Weller.

Harrison Ford.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol at the comments

"Where's all the Clinton footage?!" "This is not a Trump issue!"

I think Donny would disagree!

Why the gently caress do they think anyone cares if Bill Clinton goes down? Is it just "team" mentality?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The best last name thing is foreign names with spaces in them so people just chop off half. Like people shortening Kim Jung to just "kim"

This post is very funny, but I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not.

“Kim” is the family name in this case, just so you know.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Team mentality and whataboutism distilled into a bad moonshine

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

Why the gently caress do they think anyone cares if Bill Clinton goes down? Is it just "team" mentality?

Yes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol at the comments

"Where's all the Clinton footage?!" "This is not a Trump issue!"

I think Donny would disagree!

Yes, they think the only reason people are attacking Trump for being a racist, rapist, child-molester who is an insane corrupt liar is that he isn't on their team. They just gloss over how fast Democrats were to cut loose Al Franken for example. They legit think if Bill Clinton is invoked Democrats will back off the Epstein issue. They have no principles whatsoever, just pure naked tribalism.

And they're stupid too, if Democrats really did just care about team, you'd still sacrifice an ex-president to get a current president.

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
I'm finding the hair talk on the last page interesting. I used to shampoo every day but a friend told me that's really bad and to shampoo once a week and just use conditioner only on other days. Is that good advice thread? Should mention I use hairspray pretty often too

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

They’ll throw millions in this race and say she’s everything AOC claims to be. But I doubt voters there will be fooled.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 17, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Use Dr. Bronners and your head will smell like peppermint all day.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Narmer posted:

I'm finding the hair talk on the last page interesting. I used to shampoo every day but a friend told me that's really bad and to shampoo once a week and just use conditioner only on other days. Is that good advice thread? Should mention I use hairspray pretty often too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVFw4kuG2A

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you've ever argued with a Boomer hooked up to the right wing media machine, every conversation is like that. They're like a markov bot that was only ever given Fox News talking points. You criticize something they like and suddenly it's an unending stream of consciousness of diversions and false equivalencies. They've been taught CrimeStop from 1984 but instead of requiring the mental discipline to recognize and avoid conflicting thoughts they just flood the conversation with junk data like a pavlovian response.

That's why they like gish galloping short brained pillocks like Shapiro so much.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

As with accusations of virtue signalling, it speaks to an inability to imagine other people operating in ways different than they do.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Nucleic Acids posted:

They’ll throw millions in this race and say she’s everything AOC claims to be. But I don’t think voters there will be fooled.

Isn't the election like 18 months from now. Seems weird to be "running" so early. But I mean, this seems like a lost cause race, so "strategically" if it funnels resources from closer races to be wasted by a grifter in NY, that's a good thing right?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Killing a black guy is about as American as it gets.
:vince:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1151490211475595264?s=20

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shifty Pony posted:

Well he shat this out this morning while making GBS threads:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451067437191168

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451068431294464

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1151451591171543041

Whining about "directions on a shampoo bottle" is a new one to me I have to admit. If those weren't there what would you have to read in the shower to avoid thinking about the impending doom of the planet?

Maybe they are the reason for shampoo directions, maybe they aren't. But Donald Trump is the reason for gun muzzles being printed with "Do not point at face"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

pseudanonymous posted:

Isn't the election like 18 months from now. Seems weird to be "running" so early. But I mean, this seems like a lost cause race, so "strategically" if it funnels resources from closer races to be wasted by a grifter in NY, that's a good thing right?

They will throw a lot of money and I wouldn’t be surprised if the DNC tried to “betray” AOC during it but this way the Republicans can throw a candidate, say they’re diverse look they support a black person so you can’t say poo poo about us, AOC is the racist! Or something and then never look at that candidate again when she loses.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If you've ever argued with a Boomer hooked up to the right wing media machine, every conversation is like that. They're like a markov bot that was only ever given Fox News talking points. You criticize something they like and suddenly it's an unending stream of consciousness of diversions and false equivalencies. They've been taught CrimeStop from 1984 but instead of requiring the mental discipline to recognize and avoid conflicting thoughts they just flood the conversation with junk data like a pavlovian response.

That's why they like gish galloping short brained pillocks like Shapiro so much.

Goddamn this hit me hard. I've had to deal with this with my father. A man who is otherwise very intelligent and knowledgeable has been otherwise brainwashed when it comes to politics. Its a loving shame.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Coredump posted:

Goddamn this hit me hard. I've had to deal with this with my father. A man who is otherwise very intelligent and knowledgeable has been otherwise brainwashed when it comes to politics. Its a loving shame.

Thankfully my Dad got more liberal over the years.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Use Dr. Bronners and your head will smell like peppermint all day.

ALL ONE GOD FAITH!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It was always SO easy for any person of color to jump on the wingnut welfare train. Even more so in the Trump era. All you have to do is have zero integrity or moral core!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

This reminds me of my dad, states baseless assertions, can't come up with any concrete evidence, outright refuses to read anything that cites a source.

"I don't have time to read that and I don't want to read it."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yesterday I heard one of my local elected fret about antifa coming to town and how can we unmask them because of the Tacoma ICE attack.

Of course if you look you'll note Fox News was carrying on about that yesterday.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

"But what about [other bad thing]!!! Huh?!?" Is just classic tu quoqe an people do it because it prevents then from ever having to internalize anything that upsets then.

Is Bill Clinton scum? Yup. Do too many people defend him because BLUE TEAM? Yup. Is it relevant? Nope.

See also the "What about the CIA?!?" crew from literally every thread not about the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ruminahui posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1151484649291620352?s=20

Someone please tell Al Green that we’re letting Trump self-impeach himself :ohdear:

This is dumb. The whole point was having hearings in the news for the next 6 months, not skipping right to the point where the impeachment fails in the Senate....