Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I see this a lot when talking about problematic things in Canada, where the other person will just dismiss it with a joke about how the US is worse.

Sure, maybe the US is worse, but that isn't an excuse.

our entire national identity is founded on being 1% better than the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

is there a crying cowboy smiley? because there should be

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I went to the stampede chuck wagon races and they killed at least 3 horses due to horrific accidents, this was a long while ago but it was awful. Steer roping is downright tame in comparison.

barbaric cultural practices indeed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they killed six this time out. hopefully somebody got some steaks out of them at least

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Poor Freckles, thought of chuckwagons and died.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if we didn't brutally maim these animals for entertainment, they'd have no reason to even be born, and besides, they love it. so who's the real monster here?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

they killed six this time out. hopefully somebody got some steaks out of them at least

Watch out for sales at IKEA

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
The gay rodeo is better in every way than the stampede, go to that instead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

The gay rodeo is better in every way than the stampede, go to that instead.

as long as it doesn't harm the bears

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
somebody pulled a gun at a winnipeg hospital and officials wont say if its real or fake but the union for security guards is now pushing for security guards to be able to work outside the limits of reasonable force to protect hospitals. MGEU loving sucks

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

somebody pulled a gun at a winnipeg hospital and officials wont say if its real or fake but the union for security guards is now pushing for security guards to be able to work outside the limits of reasonable force to protect hospitals. MGEU loving sucks

So they're specifically asking to be unreasonable?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I see this a lot when talking about problematic things in Canada, where the other person will just dismiss it with a joke about how the US is worse.

Sure, maybe the US is worse, but that isn't an excuse.

Trudeau just needs to tweet more

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

xtal posted:

So they're specifically asking to be unreasonable?

they are asking for more power than actual police officers

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rodeo people: The animals at the rodeos are safe and only get roped a few times

Also rodeo people: Animals we practice tehse techniques on, for hours on end, aren't subject to any regulations so sure I see no problem spending whole days beating the poo poo out of the same cow.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, I mean, hypothetically, would it be better if they beat the poo poo out of several different cows?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Save a horse, beat off a cowboy

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
loving Corbella just exists as a shitheel "hot take" machine to drive clicks.

Any paper that actually gave a poo poo would be embarrassed to have her on the payroll but alas it is postmedia, the hulking mass of poo poo company that just won't die.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How many people actually watch rodeo things? Maybe it's time to ban them along with horse racing.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I remember thinking the annual Fromage special on Much Music was funny but in retrospect it's very problematic

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

Manitoba Housing had a very similar issue with their most violent properties. The unionized guards refused to work unless a bunch of demands were met, so MB housing simply pawned those jobs off to private security companies.

What I don't understand is why downtown buildings like that simply just lock out people who shouldn't be there. If you're not visiting someone at the hospital, you don't get to come in. The U of W campus is very much the same with "inclusivity" so they let meth heads hang out and do meth head poo poo and bikes get stolen and bathrooms get lit on fire pretty regularly but they refuse to just change the times the doors lock and have the campus keycard access only.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

incontinence 100 posted:

How many people actually watch rodeo things? Maybe it's time to ban them along with horse racing.

Just cancel anybody who owns a cowboy hat, that oughta clear a few things up

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Another Bill posted:

Just cancel anybody who owns a cowboy hat, that oughta clear a few things up

But then all of calgary would stop existing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But then all of calgary would stop existing.

oh no, not Calgary!

Please don't take Airdrie, Cochrane, and Okatoks with you :ohdear:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

infernal machines posted:

is there a crying cowboy smiley? because there should be

Howdy. I'm the sheriff of dead horses

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I remember thinking the annual Fromage special on Much Music was funny but in retrospect it's very problematic

Al Music was the best thing on Muchmusic :colbert:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

incontinence 100 posted:

Pt6a will have some angry words for you if he cant find it on CBC

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
who is pt6a

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
D&d canpol poster. You're better off not knowing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Manitoba Housing had a very similar issue with their most violent properties. The unionized guards refused to work unless a bunch of demands were met, so MB housing simply pawned those jobs off to private security companies.

What I don't understand is why downtown buildings like that simply just lock out people who shouldn't be there. If you're not visiting someone at the hospital, you don't get to come in. The U of W campus is very much the same with "inclusivity" so they let meth heads hang out and do meth head poo poo and bikes get stolen and bathrooms get lit on fire pretty regularly but they refuse to just change the times the doors lock and have the campus keycard access only.

That's how most universities and public institutions in Russia do things. If you don't have an access pass you can't enter the building. It's very annoying if you're trying to attend an event or whatever and have to arrange an access pass ahead of time. imo the open system where anybody can enter whenever they want is much better because university events should be open to the public and people should be allowed to use libraries even if they can't get a library card for whatever reason.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I agree with the sentiment, but there's got to be a middle ground. Lock out anything that's not a path to the library, maybe? I understand it should be open to the public, but it means junkies wander around vandalizing and stealing and getting into confrontations. The millennium library in Winnipeg was in the news recently because they instituted metal detectors and this was oppressing the poor but they only did it because more confrontations in the library involved weapons. I gave up going there years ago because it's absolutely filthy, the bathrooms are a warzone and there'd be guys doing laps of the library looking for anything unattended. It's such a neat design for a building and would have been a great place to study.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I agree with the sentiment, but there's got to be a middle ground. Lock out anything that's not a path to the library, maybe? I understand it should be open to the public, but it means junkies wander around vandalizing and stealing and getting into confrontations. The millennium library in Winnipeg was in the news recently because they instituted metal detectors and this was oppressing the poor but they only did it because more confrontations in the library involved weapons. I gave up going there years ago because it's absolutely filthy, the bathrooms are a warzone and there'd be guys doing laps of the library looking for anything unattended. It's such a neat design for a building and would have been a great place to study.

I agree that that sucks but imo the solution is to try and make it so our society doesn't have so many desperate addicts looking for places to be, not to restrict the few public spaces that welcome poor people.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The solution for that is safe injection sites, decriminalization, etc. And of course, the whole capitalism thing. Nobody wants to be a dangerous addict. By introducing post-hoc solutions that don't address the root cause, you sort of attack the public from both sides, where they're both harmed by the initial cause and by the consequence.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Trespassing someone and taking them to jail: part of a balanced approach to poverty and addiction

Chocolate frosted HFCS corn wafers: part of a balanced breakfast

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I don't disagree with any of it, obviously the right answer is to provide a decent quality of life for every single person, but you know that's not going to happen and in the meantime I'd like to not get stabbed or sit in hobo piss.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh for sure. The property owner can definitely trespass people who are being a nuisance right now, and the police can take them to somewhere help is likely to happen. If these things aren't happening someone needs to justify that, and "well we all gotta commit arson somewhere" isn't a great defense. Now we just need to figure out how to bar people from a public space without some guard immediately taking it to mean you get to kick out minorities....

So far as restricting physical access goes, I like to think that thinking grownups have already explored this question (there goes me and my optimism again) and gauged "we have to fix the bathroom occasionally" to be better than "people poo poo in the hallway cause it's locked after dark".

If private security contractors say they're in danger then you hired the wrong contractors.

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Jul 17, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the security measures at the millennium library haven't done anything but inconvenience people who want to go into the library, there is no actual significant increase in incidents at the library as compared to previous years and the 'security measures' are doing anything but making fragile white people feel safe because big brother police officer is checking peoples bags

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/cherry-picked-data-drove-security-increase-at-millennium-library-advocate-511852752.html

quote:

Millennium Library management and senior city staff deliberately exaggerated incidents of violence to justify the imposition of airport-like security screening measures at the downtown Winnipeg centre, a local advocacy group charges.

Sarah Broad, a member of Millennium for All, told councillors on the protection, community services and parks committee at its Wednesday meeting that statistics from the Winnipeg Police Service dont show a pattern of increasing violence at the downtown library, as claimed by city administrators.

The number and type of incidents fluctuate from year to year, she said, and a dramatic increase can be manipulated by choosing an alternate base year.

"Rather than a random increase in violence, (the police data) show a pattern that ebbs and flows," Broad. "This is a manipulation of information to serve a hastily-made decision where there has been no substantive evidence on the scale of the violence to necessitate this huge expense and destruction of a public space that weve seen."

Local residents formed the advocacy group in response to library managements surprise announcement in mid-February that all patrons 15 years and older would be subject to bag searches and hand-held metal detector sweeps.

The security increase has been supported by city police and Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 500, which represents library staff, but it also generated some public backlash, demanding the measures be ended.

The security measures are believed to be the first implemented at a public library in Canada.

The move caught even members of the protection committee by surprise. There had been no reports to the committee during the previous five years of any concerns over public and employee safety, and its councillors were not advised ahead of time of the implementation of the security measures.

Broad said the administrations manipulation prevents councillors from dealing with a problem common in many sections of the downtown area.

"I do understand there are significant challenges facing Winnipegs public space, including the Millennium, but the reports that were provided to you misrepresented the evidence available in such a way that it prevents you and the larger Winnipeg community from accurately understanding and intervening in the problems," Broad said.

"The number of misleading statements have been, quite frankly, shocking."

Councillors asked few questions of Broad following her presentation, and none were directed to the administration.

Coun. Sherri Rollins, chairwoman of the committee, later told reporters the committee didnt respond to Broads allegations because the administration has already been directed to find alternatives to the new security measures. A report on the matter is due in the fall.

"I believe that the library staff saw and responded accordingly, and (Broad) brought a perspective today. I wouldnt go as far to say she mischaracterized the library staff," Rollins said.

"Weve heard from the police chief and from neighbourhoods that theyre really concerned about safety in Winnipeg," she said, adding her ward office is dealing daily with complaints of homeless camps, drug paraphernalia and fires in parks across her sprawling ward of Fort RougeEast Fort Garry, which includes the downtown library.

Rollins would not say if she supports or opposes the current security measures.

"There is truth on both sides," she said. "People do feel a little safer (with the security measures in place) using the library, and people also dont feel safer because of the presence of airport-like security."

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the biggest increase in incidents recorded by police is people reporting "suspicious persons"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

the biggest increase in incidents recorded by police is people reporting "suspicious persons"

I-n-d-i-g... I-n-d-e-j-n.... suspicious

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

anyways i guess the solution to give security guards at health sciences center the power to beat up or shoot whoever they need with no oversight, THANK YOU MGEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

"There is truth on both sides," she said. "People do feel a little safer (with the security measures in place) using the library, and people also dont feel safer because of the presence of airport-like security."

Gotta make downtown Winnipeg feel more safe for the jets fans who will maybe possibly stumble over to the library once the game is over! gently caress all the others who have been using it safely for years