Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hirayuki posted:

this guy is Robert Redford.

WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I KNOW

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/robert-redford-nodding-meme/

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Huh... I always figured it was Zach Galifinakas in some joke commercial.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Huh, looks like they finally killed off the Snopes discussion forums. I used to drop by there occasionally but in the last few years after the Snopes founding husband and wife team divorced and Snopes got embroiled in a nasty legal dispute with his new business partners the forums turned to poo poo, membership dropped off and it became real obvious that no one was even bothering to moderate the forums any more so I stopped visiting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just found out that the character "Tairy Green" is played by a comedic actor named Zack something or other, and is not in fact Robert Redford.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

:psyduck:

Do you work in a biology-adjacent field or something? I'm sure I have heard it used, but I can't remember the last time, and I can't imagine it coming up in casual conversations.

At the risk of sounding like I'm making fun of you, this is a pretty common term in sports/fitness circles. Aerobic vs. anaerobic exercise.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's pronounced withoutairliving? Neat.

Look at this guy right here, with a language pronounced exactly like it's spelled! What a rube.

X-post from the weird news thread:

One of the English translators of Asterix and many other bandes dessinées comics, Anthea Bell, also translated W.G. Sebald. Small world, smaller for some.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Look at this guy right here, with a language pronounced exactly like it's spelled!

That's Finnish :finland: :shrug:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's Finnish :finland: :shrug:

You're finished!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

You're finished!

*goes to gaol in Sweden for espionage*

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I've played (and beaten) Zelda 2 numerous times since it first released three decades ago, but just realized this the other day...

The game over screen:

How I saw it:

What it really is:

A snout, because he's a big pig-demon

I feel like a real dummy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

I feel like a real dummy.
This is adorable. :3:

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh, looks like they finally killed off the Snopes discussion forums. I used to drop by there occasionally but in the last few years after the Snopes founding husband and wife team divorced and Snopes got embroiled in a nasty legal dispute with his new business partners the forums turned to poo poo, membership dropped off and it became real obvious that no one was even bothering to moderate the forums any more so I stopped visiting.

Same here.

But apparently, there's a new one coming:

https://www.snopes.com/discourse-coming-soon/

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Jason Mantzoukas just played a character named Rafi on a show, he did not transition from writing children's songs about banana phones to portraying various crazed dirtbags.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dr Christmas posted:

Jason Mantzoukas just played a character named Rafi on a show, he did not transition from writing children's songs about banana phones to portraying various crazed dirtbags.

Rafi lives on an island near me and I've gone there and gotten hugs from him, he's real and good and a huge children's and environmental advocate.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

I would love to see THAT Rafi do kid's songs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

♩♬ ring ring ring ring Mantzoukasphone ♫

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

♩♬ ring ring ring ring Mantzoukasphone ♫

♩♬ Heynong Heynong Heynong Heynong Man... tzoukasphooooone ♫

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The juice boxes I bought for my work lunches have bendy straws, but they don't actually bend that well.
I realized today that the bendy part is supposed to go inside the box, so the drinking end of the straw sticks straight out of the top, and the remainder angles into the bottom corner, so you can get every last drop of that delicious fruit punch.
Yes, I am a 31 year old man who buys juice boxes for himself.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Mighty Moltres posted:

The juice boxes I bought for my work lunches have bendy straws, but they don't actually bend that well.
I realized today that the bendy part is supposed to go inside the box, so the drinking end of the straw sticks straight out of the top, and the remainder angles into the bottom corner, so you can get every last drop of that delicious fruit punch.

What? No? The long end of every juice box bendy straw I've seen is pointed specifically for piercing the foil.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Interestingly the companies and marketers don't know that either!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dUOyozVhx8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Reminds me of this idiot demonstrating the convenience of tetrapak milk cartons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVhfibkIEs

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Allow me to clarify with pictures.

After piercing the foil:

Inserting the straw further and trying to bend it upright, it immediately folds back down:

With the bendy bit inside the box:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

After piercing the foil:

Inserting the straw further and trying to bend it upright, it immediately folds back down:

I imagine you also wear velcro shoes...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

After piercing the foil:

This is a lifehack on the level of "unfold the ketchup cup to dip a burger in it" or "cut the pint of ice cream in half to avoid dirtying a bowl

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That might work but the reason they use bendy straws is mostly so they can't fall or be pushed into the box.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean, I'd been believing he'd been piercing the lid with the long end then pulling it out and shoving the short end through the hole and drinking with the pointy long end in his mouth, so this is at least an improvement.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aphrodite posted:

That might work but the reason they use bendy straws is mostly so they can't fall or be pushed into the box.

Clearly the design is not child proofed enough.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Much like a chimpanzee using a long stick to get at the tasty tasty termites inside the nest, you can reach all the juice with either end of the straw with a little bit of effort

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If you tilt the box, magic will gather the tasty sugar liquid in one corner of the tetra pak and you can just put the pointy end into that corner and suck

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bell jar posted:

can just put the pointy end into that corner and suck

bud that's not at all a requirement for someone to suck

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

bell jar posted:

If you tilt the box, magic will gather the tasty sugar liquid in one corner of the tetra pak and you can just put the pointy end into that corner and suck

Not with the design of that straw. The pointy end comes to a stop at the flat bottom of the box unless it's maneuvered into place like I demonstrated in the last picture.
Perhaps it's just that certain brand?
Whatever, I've spent far too long thinking about juice boxes today.
I'm going to go make a pizza now with gummy bear and mini M&M toppings.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
You just... You... You just move the straw around. :psyduck: I wish I had a juice box so I could make an instructional video.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
smh my head if you don't just hold the box at arms length and squeeze the juice into your mouth in one go like pop-eye eats spinach

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You're opening the French side of the box while thinking in English.

All juice box mockery aside, I get a craving for Five Alive (aka Déli-cinq :france:) about once a year. I'm sure it's almost entirely nostalgia, but I don't see why I got to talk my brain's pleasure circuits into not working on a technicality.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

I’ve been doing this since I was a kid. Dunno if that’s what’s intended but it sure as hell works and honestly I’m surprised at the reaction here, I assumed more people would do this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean I guess I've never had any problem finishing a juice box? I admit it's been over 2 decades since I had one.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Everyone in school always tore the top of the box open to chug it faster because we only got a 10 minute lunch break and there was 3-4 minutes left by the time you got to a table. Still feels weird to actually use the straw.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Jul 18, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tesseraction posted:

I mean I guess I've never had any problem finishing a juice box? I admit it's been over 2 decades since I had one.

I've had some recently and yeah I've never had problems drinking one with the bendy bit out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So what's the life hack for getting a straw into the Capri Sun pouch without stabbing it straight through the back and into your finger?