Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Why’d you spend $600 on a washer when you could have gotten one for $450 at the outlet store?

You spend money on things you want, that’s all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Magic posted:

Why’d you spend $600 on a washer when you could have gotten one for $450 at the outlet store?

You spend money on things you want, that’s all.

Look at this guy spending 450 on a washer when he could have gotten a perfectly fine one from a 9 story walk-up apartment for $100

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Finished my first repaint. Siege Pteraxadon in OP's colors, reminiscent of Animated Prime's ax. I could have just done his green parts orange and called it instead but I wanted the challenge. I need to let it sit a few days and clean up the handle pin area.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Excellent work!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Rufus posted:

I don't get it yall. I make fair money and my house and car are paid for and I think this poo poo has gone beyond insane. Are most nerds all making 60+ usd an hour jobs with 100% coverage health care and like zero property taxes and poo poo?

Help me understand this because I am lost.

I can't afford it even if I wanted to, but honestly think of something in this price range more like a work of art than anything else.

That's going to sound weird but let me put it this way. You buy a painting, all it's there for is to look good and because it means something to you.

But there's also a benefit where, should you want to or NEED to later down the line, you can put it back on the market at whatever new price it's going for.

To dip out of Transformers for a moment- I wanted to get the Monster Arts Ghidorah figure because I loved it dearly, back when it first came out. I couldn't because I'm not in a great place money wise and remain in a not great place. Back then, it was 'only' 100 dollars. Now?

Good luck finding it for less than 300 if you're lucky. Other versions are 500 or 800 dollars, for INCREDIBLY less than you'd get with the Unicron figure.

Unicron is going to easily be worth twice what it's currently being asked for, if not more. Limited to 8 thousand only at most to begin with? Its value is going to skyrocket. So if you want to look at it strictly from a money point of view, that's the way to do it once you cross the triple digits. Will this thing be worth more later than it is when I buy it.

I actually do have one thing that crossed the triple digits. I got myself a RAH UltraSeven for, at the time, about 120 dollars. UltraSeven is my absolute favorite super hero ever and I was more than happy to pay that price.

now the thing is worth 600+ online. I'm never going to sell it, but it's nice to know that I got it at the right time TO get it, because getting it now would be impossible.

I'd love to own Unicron, because I love the design and I love the character. If money wasn't a factor in my life, I'd get him proudly. Unicron is one of the best things in the franchise and easily my favorite thing in Transformers. So yeah, I'd love to have a figure of him that does the design justice, top to bottom.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
^^ Yeah this is all a good set of points. Unlike so many mass-produced collectibles, there is no possible way Unicron will ever be worth less than its original price tag. It will be the center of any collection it's in, and a sought-after item for any G1 collection after production is over. Should the day ever come when you no longer have the interest or room, or just need money in an emergency, you will get more than you paid for it. The sail barge already goes for $1500 and it only shipped in February. And, let's be honest, it's not even that iconic a thing from the films. Compare the UCS Millennium Falcon LEGO set from several years back that hit a secondary market price of $4000 for a while, off a retail price of $500.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Didn't Bandai once sell a human-sized RX-78 gundam model kit

sometimes some things can be produced, that aren't in the wheelhouse of the general consumer.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Captain Rufus posted:

I don't get it yall. I make fair money and my house and car are paid for and I think this poo poo has gone beyond insane. Are most nerds all making 60+ usd an hour jobs with 100% coverage health care and like zero property taxes and poo poo?

Help me understand this because I am lost.

I think that's a big part of it. Some people just have a whole lot more disposable income than others. Which has a whole philosophical introspection over the class system attached to it that this thread isn't exactly the place for. In a way, there's kind of a necessity in a heavily income-stratified societal system for there to be ridiculously expensive luxury items to get wealth to re-enter circulation rather than get tied up in one place. I feel like Japan is even more intense in that respect, with their $10,000 melons.

There's also an element of budgeting in there, like some people have mentioned, kids are very expensive. There are other expensive hobbies that people feel are more "normal", like drinking, or other more traditional big money sinks like fancy cars and complicated entertainment systems. Some people in this thread have already remarked about potential resale value, and in that respect, the money isn't entirely "lost" when you buy it, since a giant Unicron probably maintains its value better than a fancy car.

And the concept of "nerd culture" developing as a way of being personally defined by what you consume feels like invites this sort of development.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm in Canada and enjoy a roof over my head more than nostalgia, however if Hasbro offered a payment plan for their premium products I could see it being worthwhile. Of course, that defeats the purpose of getting eight thousand people to crowdfund a premium product, so
I bet you'd find more people willing to spend $100 for 6 months than willing to spend $600 all at once (or even a smaller amount over a longer time since these things won't be delivered until 2021(!), anyway). I can understand Hasbro not wanting to deal with financing, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah not gonna lie if they gave me the equivalent of an interest free loan to buy Unicron instead of getting it all in a lump sum I'd consider it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Captain Invictus posted:

Didn't Bandai once sell a human-sized RX-78 gundam model kit

sometimes some things can be produced, that aren't in the wheelhouse of the general consumer.

Those were more in the line of statues with a small amount of articulation and were primarily meant for purchase by hobby stores to use for display purposes

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

Dispute it. Especially if you bought it via PayPal, do it through them instead. They’re much faster. Giving something a shipping label and never shipping, or shipping trash to the wrong address, is a common scammer tactic.

There’s a good tfw2005 board thread about which has a list of good and bad eBay sellers and which ones have “gone bad.” Apparently sellers get bought out by scammers all the time after being legit for long enough to get a good reputation.

Thanks, I’m gonna dispute the charge with PayPal. I should have stuck with bababobo00712, the allure of a good deal got the better of me!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Pulse takes PayPal just not for preorders which is a shame because then you could just use the 6 months financing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

^^ Yeah this is all a good set of points. Unlike so many mass-produced collectibles, there is no possible way Unicron will ever be worth less than its original price tag. It will be the center of any collection it's in, and a sought-after item for any G1 collection after production is over. Should the day ever come when you no longer have the interest or room, or just need money in an emergency, you will get more than you paid for it. The sail barge already goes for $1500 and it only shipped in February. And, let's be honest, it's not even that iconic a thing from the films. Compare the UCS Millennium Falcon LEGO set from several years back that hit a secondary market price of $4000 for a while, off a retail price of $500.
The weird thing is, Transformers stuff rarely drops below retail after a year or two. There's a clearance timeframe where the price can go as low as 1c in your local store because "get this poo poo off my drat shelves" but then after that it skyrockets back up and you'll make your money back on Ebay and then some for an opened shelfwarmer because someone, somewhere, wants it.

Star Wars toys seem not to be holding value quite so well these days, unless they're really popular side characters that were shortpacked (or are Chewbacca).

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yeah not gonna lie if they gave me the equivalent of an interest free loan to buy Unicron instead of getting it all in a lump sum I'd consider it

To be fair even as insane as it is so would I. If the face didn't look like the Marvel comics Unicron and thus ugly as sin. But it does. The face is very bad. Like its 85% TFTM Unicron made real. The last 15% drops the landing completely. Which is good because I feel less bad about not being willing to buy it because of that face.

I mean I know toys are getting stupid expensive as both materials cost and market size seem to be inverting on each other but its gone too far. It's like looking at Soul of Chogokins and saying HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS. (No I am not buying DAIRUGGER 15 even though it looks amazing. 350 bucks? Suck my rear end!) Hell, even rereleases of the old Armada Unicron that was 50 have been 2-3x the price. Inflation and materials for a previously released toy shouldn't go that insane should they? (Deceptive Thinker might be able to explain if it has and why. Because I really hope it's more than WELL NERDS WILL PAY IT SO LETS HUNT US SOME WHALES. I mean deep down it is probably a huge part of the equation but let me dream a little ok?)

But honestly one should want to buy a toy because it's cool and fun. Not because its absurdly priced and made in such small quantities you can resell it to even more insane people (or even worse resellers who want to super gouge. I have sold a few things on the Bay only to realize it went to a reseller. It kind of hurt my soul knowing it wasn't going to a fellow fan but some rear end in a top hat who wanted to really cornhole some nerd's wallet.) in the future so you can start the cycle anew when MORE BETTER SHINY NERD STATUS SYMBOL is made.

I mean just look at MP Optimuses. First one is huge and was 65 bucks in the US. Is the new one really worth 350 or so in comparison or is it just companies going for every buck they can get out of a hungry audience in a hurry to buy what is effectively pop culture crap? (This Malibu Prime has a new hat!)

I dunno. This poo poo just makes me less and less into buying stuff in general and it sucks. :smith:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I have no idea what you're talking about with the face. It's Unicron. Looks the same as the cartoon except for the Siege-style detail/greebling, which is pretty necessary if you don't want it to just look flat and plain at that size. They've got a year to tweak it with feedback anyway, it's just a hand-painted sample, not final product. Personally I'd like the final silver to be a little less intense, but it looks good as it is, too.

As for the rest, I don't see what's so confusing. It's a top notch recreation of a hugely underserved character that looms large (no pun intended) in the lore and has never been given a proper representation on this scale before. Prices go up because of inflation and the increased cost of petroleum-based materials, and probably also because of the shrinking toy market that was distinctly mass-market in 2003 and is now just preschoolers and adult collectors. I doubt anyone in this thread is buying Unicron as an investment, they're buying it because they like the character and the idea of a Unicron that's almost 3 feet wide in planet mode is ridiculous and awesome. The only reason the value increase discussion even arose was due to questions about spending that kind of money on a toy instead of a washing machine or whatever, which, while a useful appliance, loses value the instant you plug it in. If the money becomes an issue in the future, you can easily get your money back and then some. It's not a financial risk if the disposable income is there come August 31st, 2019 and you can live without it until early 2021.

I mean Sideshow makes $1200 statues of D-list characters like the Abomination that are bigger than Unicron. I can't imagine a scenario in which anyone would want to devote that much money, let alone that much of their living space, to a character as lame as the Abomination, but clearly there must be a decent sized market for it or they wouldn't make them. Some people spend as much as Unicron's price on sports jerseys in an NFL season. It all comes down to what you enjoy and what makes you happy to have in your living space. The comparison to art you hang on your wall is an apt one, I'd say.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My dudes. Rang is here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The hell is that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He doesn't know what he turns into. The simple answer is, no one does.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is that Rong as a BattleMaster?

Is that real?

Is Hasbro actually doing the thing?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Doesn't even come with a gun? Or a sword? Blah!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Ornamentmasters at last.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

catch22 posted:

Thanks, I’m gonna dispute the charge with PayPal. I should have stuck with bababobo00712, the allure of a good deal got the better of me!

Same here (I only know what I said above because I was scammed). Ended up getting a few of the items I ordered through the scammer with Baba, but god entire dammit I want some Maketoys Seekers for less than $200. Really hoping for a reissue like they did with Meteor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let’s be real, a Battle Master was the only way they’d ever do a transforming Rung that looked like his alt mode in the comic. He transforms into a stick and the comic never actually revealed what it really was.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Unless you’re doing a bit about how everyone forgets about rong, he turns into a 3D printer for matrices of leadership

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So many Micromasters I will struggle to hunt down :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TCP has generally had everything available to preorder from the last few years. Now they do individual figures too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Technowolf posted:

Is that Rong as a BattleMaster?

No no no, his name is Wrung.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You're all wrong.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

No no no, his name is Wrung.

Doesn't Ring a bell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

You're all wrong.
You Rang?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rhyno posted:

TCP has generally had everything available to preorder from the last few years. Now they do individual figures too.
Yankland though, so the shipping on Rung will likely cost twice what he costs. The bigger boxes get stupid pricey too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arquinsiel posted:

Yankland though, so the shipping on Rung will likely cost twice what he costs. The bigger boxes get stupid pricey too.

Oh god you may as well give up on life.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean, paying 3-4 times US retail for a thing is something I'd rather not do. Sorry if that makes you think less of me? :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was referring to where you live.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think this is where Rufus is coming from with the Marvel-face stuff - particularly the pointy teeth:

To me it looks like a synthesis of the Marvel and two of the TFTM faces (yes, I know what I'm about); It's got Marvel's pointy teeth, the coloration and eye shape of the face he had in most of his TFTM scenes, and the unforked goatee from the end of his transformation sequence (but not the reveal of his head DURING the transformation sequence! That beard is forked!)

And once again this is a case of wealth generating wealth. Unless it turns out to be a massive dud, even at 5 Unicrons per person, you're pretty much going to be able to buy some number larger than one, resell all but one of them half a year later, and keep the last one for essentially free or even turn a profit. But you've got to be able to soak that initial $1200-$3000 hit. I know I can't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Only thing I can say bad about the pictures of Unicron is that's a lot of yellow. I keep staring at the gif of Unicron's tooth sphincter.

Honestly the most impressive parts about Unicron I don't think can be fully captured in toy form. Orson Welles's booming voice as he emits an unholy light on Megatron, the mournful industrial music, the crazy abstract glowing techno-innards, the existential horror of a bigger planet rolling up on your planet to just eat it, including digesting some of your favorite characters. When he transformed to attack Cybertron, he actually felt a lot less scary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Takara has announced it will be a Tomy Mall exclusive. But I'm assuming the figure still has to make the US crowdfund in order to pay for the R&D and engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the big cost is the steel molds. Gens Fort Max cost 300,000 USD to make the molds for.