Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FairGame posted:

Ugh, I see the contradiction, but I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do in the vision.

SoJ, case 3: The high priest clearly did a 180 while he had the scroll in front of his eyes. He is facing the broken lantern at the start of the vision, but the springside lantern at the end. Meaning Maya’s original position was where she was supposed to be, and the killer was standing in the fountain.

But I’ve tried selecting the broken lantern while the vision is saying anything about lanterns, and no luck.

What gives?

Is this the first revision? You need to point out the footsteps in the third statement, because she says they're approaching footsteps but the size of the text doesn't change, meaning the loudness isn't changing, so it's not her footsteps.. Is this bullshit? Yes. The divination seances are frustrating bullshit for this case and I would not fault anyone for using a walkthrough for this section of the trial because of how pedantic and nitpicky the game is about the order in which you point out contradictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Nah, both of you thought I was earlier than I actually was. I'd already successfully pointed out that the footsteps didn't get any louder even while the incense got stronger, pointed out that we heard water (and thus assumed Maya was standing in the water), pointed out that the wind blew one of the flames which in turn made the lanterns clearer--which is how you prove the priest did a 180. Apparently I needed to point out the broken lantern while the statement was saying he fought his attacker near the intact lantern, even though there's no contradiction there. He did fight the murderer near the intact lantern. I'd been pointing out the broken lantern when the statement was saying he bowed to the 2 lanterns at the top, since THAT's the important part. Oh well.

It got worse later on when I pointed out that the witness couldn't have seen jack poo poo through the curtain, but did so using the "I saw Maya stab the dude" statement to contradict it instead of "I used binoculars to see" even though both "I saw" statements should've been contradicted by the curtain.

Anyway, on to day 2 of the case, even if I did technically lose the case earlier. I'm not going to feel bad about figuring things out but not doing it with the needlessly specific set of triggers that were demanded. I feel like in other games when there were multiple statements or pieces of evidence that'd work, it'd let you use any of them. Not so in this case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FairGame posted:

Anyway, on to day 2 of the case, even if I did technically lose the case earlier. I'm not going to feel bad about figuring things out but not doing it with the needlessly specific set of triggers that were demanded. I feel like in other games when there were multiple statements or pieces of evidence that'd work, it'd let you use any of them. Not so in this case.

Yeah, I think someone in here said that SoJ was written by the same pedantic arseholes who did AAI1 which pulled this poo poo on you constantly.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Ace Attorney has always been a linear path. You've always had to present the expected evidence to the expected statement. You've never been given multiple options.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, that's not true. Every game before SoJ has had at least a few instances where you could present multiple pieces of evidence that fit the circumstances

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

You're gonna have to remind me because I can't remember any instance of that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, I think someone in here said that SoJ was written by the same pedantic arseholes who did AAI1 which pulled this poo poo on you constantly.
This is true but not in the way you seem to think. All of the games after Apollo Justice have had the same writers, a new team that took over. AAI was their first game. Oh, and except for DGS where Shu Takumi is in the reins again.

Also let's not pretend every game in the series isn't occasionally guilty of weirdly specific answers to obvious questions.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

OBJECTION! You'd only notice this when it wasn't working like that, since when it is working like that you sail through the case none the wiser that an alternate path was available.

PRESENT Apollo Justice's godawful the guitar's serenade case, where you can present the replica egg thingy to multiple witness statements in the same cross-examination saying something to the effect of "I had no motive to kill the victim."

Similarly, when talking to the same witness, you can present the newspaper saying that incuritis is an epidemic stateside to either witness statement saying something to the effect of "the previous way of dealing with the aforementioned object in my first spoiler doesn't work anymore.

It certainly doesn't seem to work that way in SoJ, though, since in Case 2 when Retinz/Reus was saying he didn't have ill will toward Trucy, I cited the contract, which was "wrong." Then I cited the trick clipboard, and Apollo immediately started talking about the bullshit contract that was signed on the clipboard, which was "right."

FairGame fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 17, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Turnabout Serenade, validated at last.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

FairGame posted:

OBJECTION! You'd only notice this when it wasn't working like that, since when it is working like that you sail through the case none the wiser that an alternate path was available.

PRESENT Apollo Justice's godawful the guitar's serenade case, where you can present the replica egg thingy to multiple witness statements in the same cross-examination saying something to the effect of "I had no motive to kill the victim."

Similarly, when talking to the same witness, you can present the newspaper saying that incuritis is an epidemic stateside to either witness statement saying something to the effect of "the previous way of dealing with the aforementioned object in my first spoiler doesn't work anymore.

It certainly doesn't seem to work that way in SoJ, though, since in Case 2 when Retinz/Reus was saying he didn't have ill will toward Trucy, I cited the contract, which was "wrong." Then I cited the trick clipboard, and Apollo immediately started talking about the bullshit contract that was signed on the clipboard, which was "right."

I actually didn't know that. That's pretty neat.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It has worked the other way around, too. There's a case just on the edge of my memory where you can present one of three items on a statement and any of them count. I'm desperately trying to remember where I saw it though.

In other news I've been replying AA1 between AAI2 and making Polly give testimony is still as funny as it was the first time.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It's even better because Von Karma fucks with Polly just on the off chance that you cross examine a loving bird

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FairGame posted:

It's even better because Von Karma fucks with Polly just on the off chance that you cross examine a loving bird

THE PERFECT PROSECUTOR

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He didn't do it on an off chance, he knew 100% that Phoenix would do it because he's the one who planted the idea in his head

The man had gears working within gears at all times. If it weren't for five different increasingly unlikely random events building on each other he'd still be a free man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FairGame posted:

I got confused and wondered when Apollo ever met Von Karma.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I got confused and wondered when Apollo ever met Von Karma.

honestly some of the nicknames in AA feel like someone who's never spoken English came up with them

Phoenix: Nick (okay, plausible)

Pearl: Pearls (wat)

Apollo: Polly (that is a girl's name this is not a series that addresses gender identity that fluidly)

I get they needed to show the characters used cutesy nicknames but I think they're stretching the definition of nickname here.

"My name is Alan"

"Aw, you're cute, I think I'll call you Jugemu Jugemu Gokō-no surikire Kaijarisuigyo-no Suigyōmatsu Unraimatsu Fūraimatsu Kuunerutokoro-ni Sumutokoro Yaburakōji-no burakōji Paipopaipo Paipo-no-shūringan Shūringan-no Gūrindai Gūrindai-no Ponpokopī-no Ponpokonā-no Chōkyūmei-no Chōsuke"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I love the rakugo case. I had zero idea what rakugo even was until then and came away feeling educated. Also it proves Athena and Blackquill can carry their own game and I hope we get a future case if not whole game staring them.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i want Athena to have more cool moments of her own and also her own game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

honestly some of the nicknames in AA feel like someone who's never spoken English came up with them

Apollo: Polly (that is a girl's name this is not a series that addresses gender identity that fluidly)

I think Polly works well enough if only because it was coined by Trucy. I think it makes sense for her to give a kind of cutesy nickname to her new assistant, and then it just kinda stuck.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Merilan posted:

the worst part about 2-3 is when multiple characters show up again in Investigations 2 along with the circus theme and you're like "NOOOO that music"

SardonicTyrant posted:

Current thoughts on AAI2:

Oh god. Not you. Not yoooooooouuuuu!!! :gonk:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

it's ok... it's ok, we're here to support you through the trauma

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tesseraction posted:

I get they needed to show the characters used cutesy nicknames but I think they're stretching the definition of nickname here.

"My name is Alan"

"Aw, you're cute, I think I'll call you Jugemu Jugemu Gokō-no surikire Kaijarisuigyo-no Suigyōmatsu Unraimatsu Fūraimatsu Kuunerutokoro-ni Sumutokoro Yaburakōji-no burakōji Paipopaipo Paipo-no-shūringan Shūringan-no Gūrindai Gūrindai-no Ponpokopī-no Ponpokonā-no Chōkyūmei-no Chōsuke"

Athena: Thena (You just took one letter off)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I was gonna make a mental note of every case where it happens, because I was the one who made that point, but I forgot to actually look for them in my OT replay for the most part. There's at least a couple of incidents in 1-5 where you can present multiple pieces of SL-9 evidence to make a point, but the ones I remember specifically are in T&T: You can present Phoenix' profile or the bottle necklace when Dahlia says she had no way to get rid of the evidence, the blackmail letter or the newspaper clipping when Atmey claims Ron DeLite was the target of the blackmail letter, and Furio Tigre's profile or the loan contract to Armstrong's final testimony.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

After all the trouble the 1st day of Case 3 gave me, I breezed through day 2 with only 2 mistakes. Great case, depressing as heck

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the plus side case 4 will be much lighter for you, and you get to see Blackquill trying to be a normal person.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

On the plus side case 4 will be much lighter for you, and you get to see Blackquill trying to be a normal person.

Case 4 has someone murder their adoptive father over a misunderstanding, I think it's pretty tragic.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Case 4 has someone murder their adoptive father over a misunderstanding, I think it's pretty tragic.

I mean, deep down all the cases are tragic. I'd just say that at least the courtroom shenanigans are hilarious. Apart from, well. You know.

BLOOOOOOON

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just finished SoJ. Still have the bonus cases from DD and SoJ to play, along with the entirety of AA2 and AA3 (bought the trilogy a couple months back which was my entry into the series, but I burnt out entirely on the loving "rotate the blue badger jar" puzzle in a case that's just taking FOREVER anyway; I'll get around to finishing it eventually). Oh, and I still have both Edgeworth games so I guess I've still got plenty of #content.

But, as for SoJ...

I was a little disappointed in that last case. Wright vs. Justice on part 1 was great even if Paul Atishon was a stupid villain and obviously the appetizer before the Khurain finale. And the Dhurke twist was gutting and really well done. But so much of the motivations of the actual badguys didn't make sense. Such as...

Ga'ran: Why was she so desperate for the orb? Her being unable to channel clearly hadn't mattered to date, because her sister was a goddamned moron. She was already in power. She didn't need the orb. Also, given that the case Stateside was apparently televised, she should've known that using the orb required channeling so it was useless to her. Also, she kinda just stood there and never made good on her threat to execute the people who were legitimate threats to her power. Which, I mean...that's good since I love all the heroes, but it was just very stupid.

Inga: How did he even manage to get killed? His dumbass wife killed him NOT while channeling Dhurke, so how did she even manage to sneak up on him? Also, see the previous comments re: the orb; he should've known that he both couldn't channel AND couldn't recall the founder's face anyway thanks to his condition.

Amara: Why was she so easily convinced by her sister? What a loving idiot. She was running around as the old lady (I'm still not clear on if that was a disguise, or if she was just channeling an old woman in perpetuity) long enough to realize that both Inga and Ga'ran were evil as hell.

Prosecutor Sadmadhi: You were very boring and kind of a loser, and it took FOREVER to get you to grow a spine. Edgeworth and Blackquill (and Klavier, though he was kinda fine the whole time) came around a lot earlier, and they were also a lot more interesting.)

Basically, Apollo should just run the whole country because every member of the ruling family is either evil, an absolute idiot, or both. Or Rayfa, I guess, but she's like 14 so who cares.

In any event, the revelations in the final case just didn't make a whole lot of sense after the big reveal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FairGame posted:

Just finished SoJ. Still have the bonus cases from DD and SoJ to play, along with the entirety of AA2 and AA3 (bought the trilogy a couple months back which was my entry into the series, but I burnt out entirely on the loving "rotate the blue badger jar" puzzle in a case that's just taking FOREVER anyway; I'll get around to finishing it eventually). Oh, and I still have both Edgeworth games so I guess I've still got plenty of #content.

But, as for SoJ...

I was a little disappointed in that last case. Wright vs. Justice on part 1 was great even if Paul Atishon was a stupid villain and obviously the appetizer before the Khurain finale. And the Dhurke twist was gutting and really well done. But so much of the motivations of the actual badguys didn't make sense. Such as...

Ga'ran: Why was she so desperate for the orb? Her being unable to channel clearly hadn't mattered to date, because her sister was a goddamned moron. She was already in power. She didn't need the orb. Also, given that the case Stateside was apparently televised, she should've known that using the orb required channeling so it was useless to her. Also, she kinda just stood there and never made good on her threat to execute the people who were legitimate threats to her power. Which, I mean...that's good since I love all the heroes, but it was just very stupid.

Inga: How did he even manage to get killed? His dumbass wife killed him NOT while channeling Dhurke, so how did she even manage to sneak up on him? Also, see the previous comments re: the orb; he should've known that he both couldn't channel AND couldn't recall the founder's face anyway thanks to his condition.

Amara: Why was she so easily convinced by her sister? What a loving idiot. She was running around as the old lady (I'm still not clear on if that was a disguise, or if she was just channeling an old woman in perpetuity) long enough to realize that both Inga and Ga'ran were evil as hell.

Prosecutor Sadmadhi: You were very boring and kind of a loser, and it took FOREVER to get you to grow a spine. Edgeworth and Blackquill (and Klavier, though he was kinda fine the whole time) came around a lot earlier, and they were also a lot more interesting.)

Basically, Apollo should just run the whole country because every member of the ruling family is either evil, an absolute idiot, or both. Or Rayfa, I guess, but she's like 14 so who cares.

In any event, the revelations in the final case just didn't make a whole lot of sense after the big reveal.

FWIW, my understanding is when the legends of Khu'rain say the orb bestows the ultimate power, the idea is the current queen summons the founder to provide her successor with the power of channeling. I was under the impression this was the case, and that Inga and Dhuran did not know this because Dhuran was never expected to be queen so her mother never told her, and Amara didn't tell her for obvious reasons. As for why Amara went along with her sister's evil machinations? Without being all "lol goons" at you I think you're underestimating what people will do and/or ignore for people they care about. She was trying to guarantee that her daughter would be safe and become queen to right the wrongs of her sister. Also it's not her channeling an old biddy it's just anime disguise magic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man, I just want to say that I love all the subtle character beats in case 3. Oldbag being somebody who will acknowledge the truth when it’s made clear to her, Edgeworth’s zeal to catch the truly guilty undermining his verdict bloodthirst, Vasquez’s implied love for Manuel being her reason for blackmailing Hammer so vehemently are all great.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FINALLY finished AAI2 episode 2 and god drat this game is just so much better than AAI1. I am a little apprehensive that chapter 3 hints at a flashback but gently caress it, I'm open-palm slapping this VHS into the slot.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I found episode 3 to be both good, for the characters you meet, and kind of weak, for how the murder actually shakes down.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Finally I can read this thread as I completed the LP of SoJ and I'm watching the special case.

Will Apollo ever find out about his real mother I feel like this the one awk moment where it starts to get bizarre outside cases. I can't believe he left Wright and Co and stayed. He'll probably show up later but we never found out more about his dad at the end.

Athena getting her own case was great and I hope she will star in future games. Nick as as a mentor worked well for everyone. I'm glad I saw the Edgeworth cameo even though he didn't play much of a role.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I just did DD’s extra case—the orca one.

Might be my favorite case in the series after von Karma/Edgeworth.

So many adorable characters, Blackquill is my favorite prosecutor, and a really good ending.

Only complaint was the final cross examination was REALLY weird about when to present the evidence.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm playing through the HD trilogy right now and there are some real :ironicat: lines in Justice For All:

It's weird that Max Galactica never came up in Apollo Justice, considering.

Dual Destinies final case spoilers:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm playing AA:I1 for the first time and I'm extremely annoyed that they translated "meters" as "feet" in the second case. Airliners do not cruise at 9000 feet! :argh:

This is also the only unrealistic thing about the jet. :v:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I remember getting insanely tripped up at the *very* first cross-examination scene in the airplane case in AAI:1 because I was thinking far, far, far too hard about it

So I watched Edgeworth get arrested a billion times

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I'm playing AA:I1 for the first time and I'm extremely annoyed that they translated "meters" as "feet" in the second case. Airliners do not cruise at 9000 feet! :argh:

Thankfully in AAI2 either the TL or the original artist was kind enough to put both imperial AND metric on some evidence in I2-2 so this mistake wouldn't happen. Still annoying that the localisation necessitates them opting to work with the imperial units but consistency is best.

AAI2 case 3: I've just finished the (first?) flashback and it was nice to see Gregory Edgeworth is nearly as prim and proper as his son but with a much more fatherly approach even to his subordinate, something I feel Miles probably would have inherited faster without the malign influence of von Karma, but which has increasingly been on display since the end of Justice for All.

Also it's kinda interesting how much I've come to love Miles' poo poo-eating grin now that he's wielding it on my side of the argument.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

This is almost as bad as Danganronpa translating "yen" to "dollars" but keeping the numerical values the same. Nevermind the oddity of Japanese students using dollars anyway.

God the official translations for that series annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is almost as bad as Danganronpa translating "yen" to "dollars" but keeping the numerical values the same. Nevermind the oddity of Japanese students using dollars anyway.

God the official translations for that series annoy me.

Ah, time to eat some of my favourite CUP RAMEN *inserts $300*