Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

lol I really need to watch more of the Sun Moon anime, if only for Rowlet. it seems like the animators have some sort of running competition to see who can draw the funniest Rowlet face, 'cause that birb is just giving so many goofy faces. I don't know if I can remember any of Ash's Pokemon that are as expressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

I saw this in a thread somewhere else. While newer models have identical silhouettes and geometry compared to older ones there’s a difference in the number of polygons.

You’ll notice it becomes more complex in regards to the face, limbs, and joints, indicating they’re meant to be depicted as more expressive and in the form of movement. Maybe that’s what they meant by “redoing the models”, and it’d line up with them making animations a priority as well.

Sorry, no that's already been disproven. Videos have been posted in this very thread of people doing model to model comparisons, and they have identical numbers of polygons. They didn't even subdivide the polygons for higher level of detail with the same structure, they're literally identical.

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I saw this in a thread somewhere else. While newer models have identical silhouettes and geometry compared to older ones there’s a difference in the number of polygons.

You’ll notice it becomes more complex in regards to the face, limbs, and joints, indicating they’re meant to be depicted as more expressive and in the form of movement. Maybe that’s what they meant by “redoing the models”, and it’d line up with them making animations a priority as well.

Pikachu and Eevee were updated for LGPE, that much we know. Were the other Pokemon models also updated? There seems to be "evidence" that contradicts that.

Maybe they want to give all pokemon the possibility to be as expressive as Pikachu and Eevee?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

For stuff like this, we won't know the graphical specifics until the game is out, but it'll be super interesting to find out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crosspeice posted:

For stuff like this, we won't know the graphical specifics until the game is out, but it'll be super interesting to find out.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spoilers: the models with 100% be the 3DS with prettier textures and that’s it.

Super spoilers: the animations will mostly be exactly the same ones from the 3DS.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope someone can figure out this model business once and for all because i need to know if the game is good or not

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oddium posted:

i hope someone can figure out this model business once and for all because i need to know if the game is good or not

Game has Wooloo so we already know the answer.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

The model thing is in fact one of the least interesting things in the world

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Andrast posted:

The model thing is in fact one of the least interesting things in the world

nuh uh brave patriots are risking their lives right now to uncover THE TRUTH about this video game for children

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

The theory that GF would lie about having to remake the model seems weird. It would be "disproven" immidiately given the footage we've seen, which it did. People would then be more upset than before.

It seems more probable that there's something in the rest of the game that requires more effort.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Deffon posted:

The theory that GF would lie about having to remake the model seems weird. It would be "disproven" immidiately given the footage we've seen, which it did. People would then be more upset than before.

It has been disproven, but it seems most likely what they meant is that they're retexturing them, which they are clearly doing.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Camping probably needs a bunch of new animations for every pokemon, but even if that's true people will still be mad because they didn't want to trade Girafarig for this generation's gimmick

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I bet not all of the models in the trailer are final, because that's a thing that happens a lot in game trailers, and I don't know why Game Freak are supposed to be any different.

I also bet that this videogame will be pretty fun once it comes out!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The handful of comparisons I've seen between the 3DS and Switch textures, I actually liked the 3DS textures better. The Switch ones looked smooth and rubbery, like balloons.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Spatula City posted:

lol I really need to watch more of the Sun Moon anime, if only for Rowlet. it seems like the animators have some sort of running competition to see who can draw the funniest Rowlet face, 'cause that birb is just giving so many goofy faces. I don't know if I can remember any of Ash's Pokemon that are as expressive.

I really wish a fansub group would just use the US terms, I really don't want to bust my head trying to keep everyone's names correct.

I mean I'd watch the dub if it wasn't so flat but they must lace the Voice Director's drink with nytol or something.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ConanThe3rd posted:

I really wish a fansub group would just use the US terms, I really don't want to bust my head trying to keep everyone's names correct.

I mean I'd watch the dub if it wasn't so flat but they must lace the Voice Director's drink with nytol or something.

Get over it and accept lurugurugan in your heart.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's jus' a little bit more work than I'm wanting to put into light entertainment is all.
Like I said, if the dub wasn't a complete bore I'd just watch that it's infinitely more available.

But yes, this is a lot of moaning about watching the pokemon cartoon of all things so...

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Annath posted:

The handful of comparisons I've seen between the 3DS and Switch textures, I actually liked the 3DS textures better. The Switch ones looked smooth and rubbery, like balloons.

There are some things on the 3DS model represented by textures that really should be part of the model itself if they truly want high-fidelity. An example I noticed last night are feathers on Rowlett's back; they are completely flat and it really shows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Golden Gael posted:

There are some things on the 3DS model represented by textures that really should be part of the model itself if they truly want high-fidelity. An example I noticed last night are feathers on Rowlett's back; they are completely flat and it really shows.

Now they've got a more advanced system they could cheat these with shaders and bump mapping to create the impression of things like feathers or fur without needing full remodels.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's jus' a little bit more work than I'm wanting to put into light entertainment is all.
Like I said, if the dub wasn't a complete bore I'd just watch that it's infinitely more available.

But yes, this is a lot of moaning about watching the pokemon cartoon of all things so...

You just gonna leave Mokuroh hanging because of that?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The owl is round

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Love my pal Stolas. :3:

I wonder which Gen I monsters are getting Brexited. Maybe the fossils?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Deffon posted:

It seems more probable that there's something in the rest of the game that requires more effort.

Its probably texture work, which can be its own nightmare, but would definitely be a lot less work than a new model + texture. Model's not being 'accepted' by the engine doesn't really carry a lot of water anyway, that's not how importing and exporting models work at all.

The whole thing is weird all around. I don't know why they haven't just announced that they will retroactively patch all the models that got left behind into Sword/Shield, either as their own standalone patches, or as they make new games. Just flat out announcing they will never be compatible is insane to me.

Like even with Ruby/Sapphire, which are the only games to be 100% backwards compatible, they still allowed for non-Hoenn Dex pokes to get imported, presumably to push sales for FR/LG and Emerald. I'm still expecting them to do the same sort of cash grab here, but its weird that they contradict that with their statements.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Pentaro posted:

I wonder which Gen I monsters are getting Brexited. Maybe the fossils?

It's more then likely that no Gen 1 monster is going to be cut, but I'd go with monsters that no one really cares that much about (Seel or Mankey for instance) or ones that have been in too many games already (Tentacool and Zubat).

As for Pokemon like starters and fossils, I'm beginning to think that all of them will appear in the game, as those groups of Pokemon are relatively popular.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Seel was a perfectly fine 'mon until the game realized its error and introduced Spheal, the much better Seal, Because It Is An Orb

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People like mankey and primeape because Ash caught one in the show.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Not even Ash remembers Primeape

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
people love gloom because they stink like death

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

It was clear that the writers had no real plan for Primeape after Ash caught it. Heck, Krabby and Muk's inclusion in the Pokemon league feels like an afterthought.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Zuzie posted:

It was clear that the writers had no real plan for Primeape after Ash caught it. Heck, Krabby and Muk's inclusion in the Pokemon league feels like an afterthought.

Speaking of Pokemon caught with no plans, I'm just past where he beats Blain and I have seen Brock's Zubat maybe twice. Spoiling it for myself with Bulbapedia I'm glad to see it will eventually get some screen time, but right now feels like they just straight forgot about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mef989 posted:

Speaking of Pokemon caught with no plans, I'm just past where he beats Blain and I have seen Brock's Zubat maybe twice. Spoiling it for myself with Bulbapedia I'm glad to see it will eventually get some screen time, but right now feels like they just straight forgot about it.

Its in the intro carrying Bulbasaur tho iirc!

Man that whole scene is weird.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Borsche69 posted:

The whole thing is weird all around. I don't know why they haven't just announced that they will retroactively patch all the models that got left behind into Sword/Shield, either as their own standalone patches, or as they make new games. Just flat out announcing they will never be compatible is insane to me.

Because they shouldn't announce a thing that won't happen.

Any attempted move or trade will be met with "Pokémon doesn't want to go to Galar!", and any Pokémon hacked in will probably either be garbage data or a Marowak with carried over stats like in LGPE.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The early anime was still trying to find its feet. One of the changes was to reduce the number of Pokémon the each of the human cast would have, otherwise the cast would balloon to absurd proportions and there would be no way to keep track of them all.

It's very silly when fans of the anime try to bring up the "importance" of some monsters like Misty's Horsea (It foiled one of Team Rocket's plots by squirting an ink trail! That means Horsea is as important as Pikachu!).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

People like mankey and primeape because Ash caught one in the show.

Nah, Mankey and primeape are some of the better gen 1 fighting types

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

people love gloom because they stink like death

Gloom is a friend of mine's favorite

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

Because this is an insane scope problem, which is something that Pokémon already struggles with. What if not 100% of all pokemon are included between SwSh and the theorized DPP remake? How long do they support the backwards compatibility? If they can patch in pokemon not in the game files, do they patch in pokemon that didn't exist when a new generation comes out- you know people will ask for it.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 17, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I for one am looking forward to the erasure of the Gen IV legendaries and mythicals from the Pokedex.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Pokemon are not getting patched back in less because of scope and more out of either their total refusal to implement content patches, selling Pokemon Home subscriptions or whatever monetization plan it has, or very probably both the above.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Nasgate posted:

Nah, Mankey and primeape are some of the better gen 1 fighting types

Suck my Hitmonpeepee. Those monkeys are awful. To be honest, I don't like most fighting type designs. Galar is probably just going to have a literal hand and foot MXC style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I believe that limiting the number of Pokemon to just the regional dex is more of a purposeful design decision then incompetence on their part. They want to put a limit on how much time they want to spend on developing models and coding for every monster (especially when virtually no one is actually going to use every single monster), otherwise the rest of the game will falter. Pokémon is unique in that it keeps supporting older data and that's the game's biggest distinction, but it's come to a point where they cannot keep up with producing a game with more and more characters.

Of course, they're going to cite animation and models because saying "We want our players to buy more games to get them to do something that used to be done with just one game" would be outright bad for PR.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 17, 2019