Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think underwhelming is the best way describe River Journey. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's not worth a 45 minute wait and being right next door to FoP doesn't do it any favors. If it was regularly 20 minutes to get on, I'd ride it every trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Nanigans posted:

Abigail Disney went undercover into Disney Land to see how bad the castmembers have it

She calls out Iger for making a ton of money and hardly paying park workers. :(

As a former CM, heck yeah they deserve to get paid more. They're the ones who make the actual 'magic' happen, not Igor and his gang. I've had lovely rides elevated by amazing cast members and they deserve every cent.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I always try keep a tally of cast members during the trip and stop by guest services at the end of the day to get them recognized for the slightest thing even though I have no idea if they get any monetary compensation from that. Being a CM is the most extreme version of being retail I can think of and I try to be as polite to them as their corporate mandate optimally forces them to be.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I do whatever I can to #CastComplement anyone during my trip. I think I’ve only had 1-2 “bad” experiences and bad being normal service of nonchalance I would expect from the gas station down the street. Front line CMs have a tough job, y’all deserve better pay.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Pandora has expansion room, so presumably they will add another ride at some point

Id prefer they add like, a meet n greet so you can interact with a navi. put a dude on some stilts or something.

they really need to add a meet n greet to Galaxys edge. Have a Kylo M&G in the First order section and brand it as "recruiting" and then have M&G with Chewie, Rey and BB8 in the resistance part and brand that as "join the rebellion!"
The characters walking around is great but theres a difference between "wander around BSO and hope to catch a glimpse of Rey" vs "wait in line to have Rey welcome you to the rebellion"

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
More shocking news from WDWNT on the loss of a timeless fan favorite. https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/fan-favorite-beverly-soft-drink-currently-unavailable-just-weeks-ahead-of-club-cools-closure-at-epcot/

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Quixotic1 posted:

I always try keep a tally of cast members during the trip and stop by guest services at the end of the day to get them recognized for the slightest thing even though I have no idea if they get any monetary compensation from that. Being a CM is the most extreme version of being retail I can think of and I try to be as polite to them as their corporate mandate optimally forces them to be.

No monetary compensation, but you do get a nice little card with the guest's compliment.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of Fast and Furious...

quote:

Two Universal visitors fainted while riding Fast & Furious — Supercharged this spring

How?!

quote:

According to Wednesday’s report, a 76-year-old woman with a reported “pre-existing condition” fainted and felt chest pain on Fast & Furious April 24. A few months later, on June 6, a 67-year-old woman fainted on the same ride.

Hmm, well that isn't so crazy.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-theme-park-report-july-20190717-t5i3rkcwibc2njzwxiotacrfb4-story.html

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah I love Na’vi river journey but I always take my tours through that BEFORE FOP otherwise it’s just setting them up for disappointment.

I think honestly the only ride that has disappointed lately has been rear end but I’m not gonna lie I love the poo poo out of Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree so I appreciate it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t know what’s worse getting I’ll on fast and furious or spaceship earth

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just don't throw up on the library of Alexandria.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Nooooooo! That joint has saved me on a scorching hot EPCOT day many a time, even if the floor was always loving disgusting.

Also where else can one poison friends and family members with vile beverage "Beverley"?! :<

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 17, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone willing to pick me up and ship me one of those 30th anniversary splash mountain bucket hats?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone willing to pick me up and ship me one of those 30th anniversary splash mountain bucket hats?

I'll be in the parks again in early August, if nobody volunteers before the 2nd, pm me and I'll grab one for you.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nathilus posted:

Nooooooo! That joint has saved me on a scorching hot EPCOT day many a time, even if the floor was always loving disgusting.

Also where else can one poison friends and family members with vile beverage "Beverley"?! :<

I think World of Coke in Atlanta has it?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I still mourn Mezzo Mix

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I still mourn Mezzo Mix

Move to Germany. :devil:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think World of Coke in Atlanta has it?

I'm pretty sure that the Coke store in Disney Springs has Beverly. It's not free but it's available.

Also don't worry, Club Cool will return:

https://twitter.com/wdwtoday/status/1146115247914311686?s=21

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Oh, ok. Whew! That scared me for a minute.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nanigans posted:

Abigail Disney went undercover into Disney Land to see how bad the castmembers have it

She calls out Iger for making a ton of money and hardly paying park workers. :(
Have they not rolled out $15 an hour in Orlando yet? I know they were supposed to be doing that very soon.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I was just in Atlanta for AmericasMart and finally did the World of Coke and it was very dumb but also they put you in a room with soda from every continent and they had Mezzo Mix and all the old ones I used to try. That part ruled.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hazo posted:

Have they not rolled out $15 an hour in Orlando yet? I know they were supposed to be doing that very soon.

Yeah it’s a phased raise up to that that has already started.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If there's anything I can do to make life better for CM's beyond what has been mentioned, please let me know.

I will totally trip a lovely parent or kid that is giving you attitude if you want. Just come up with code word and spread that around

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Quixotic1 posted:

That stuff is super appreciated and I have "great service" (I forget the name rn) card that I still have from when I was a CM. It's just nice to be appreciated by guests :)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Huh. When I worked at WDW the pay full timers got seemed pretty good. They were unionized, had good benefits, pretty good raises based on seniority, and plenty of opportunities for overtime for anyone who wanted it. Makes me wonder if I wasn't getting a clear picture of what was goin on, or if things have gotten worse in the years since.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember talking to a few in park cm s about where I worked at the DRC and they were insanely jealous about the magic point system. I was surprised to learn that park cm s didn’t get it.

For those who don’t know, every hour of overtime you worked you would get one magic point which you could then redeem for hotel stays etc. IIRC a one night at Coronado was like 125 points.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nathilus posted:

Huh. When I worked at WDW the pay full timers got seemed pretty good. They were unionized, had good benefits, pretty good raises based on seniority, and plenty of opportunities for overtime for anyone who wanted it. Makes me wonder if I wasn't getting a clear picture of what was goin on, or if things have gotten worse in the years since.

The divide among full timers and part timers has gotten bigger and the "career" positions are few and far between. The average salary of a Disney employee is 46k, but the vast majority of employees are sub 30k. It's a microcosm of our entire economy really.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 18, 2019

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

The divide among full timers and part timers has gotten bigger and the "career" positions are few and far between. The average salary of a Disney employee is 46k, but the vast majority of employees are sub 30k. It's a microcosm of our entire economy really.

LOL. Figures. Truly a microcosm of whats going down in general, just as you say.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The fact there isn’t enough Club Cool Bibo love makes me sad.

Introducing the kiddo to Beverly was adorable. His face crinkled up in the most polite disappointment, as he contemplated what he was trying to swallow, and calmly stated as charming as a five year old can, “I think it’s the worst.”

It’s the cutest video ever. His face goes from excitement through confusion, into polite revulsion - all silently.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bibo is good but the ice cold pinapple Fanta is pro. It's only good there too, don't bother buying it anywhere else.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Bibo is good but the ice cold pinapple Fanta is pro. It's only good there too, don't bother buying it anywhere else.

I drank like ten tiny cups of it last time i was there. B)

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Bring back Mezzo Mix!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It used to be my ritual at Epcot to stop in Club Cool for one or two cups to refresh myself before continuing on.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
if we are in epcot my daughter requests multiple trips to club cool to get bibo. when might it reopen?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Anybody have any idea what the ticketed event at MK might be on the night of Friday, August 16?

I'm at the 30-day mark and am working on making my plans through the WDW website. My original plan was to do MK fireworks on Friday and Illuminations on Saturday (my real reason for going back to Orlando), but it's looking like MK fireworks on Friday aren't an option. Unless I watch them from one of the resorts, which has often been mentioned in this thread as the pro way to watch them. Can I sneak onto the Poly beach even if I'm staying in an off-property hotel?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
That’s the first Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party of this year. It’s hit or miss whether they’d let you park there without a dining reservation. Might be able to get in by invoking trader sams or dole whips but it’s up to security.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dren posted:

if we are in epcot my daughter requests multiple trips to club cool to get bibo. when might it reopen?

Most likely after the large Epcot re-imagining

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Cais posted:

That’s the first Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party of this year. It’s hit or miss whether they’d let you park there without a dining reservation. Might be able to get in by invoking trader sams or dole whips but it’s up to security.

Cool, I'm not getting a car this trip. Resort transport and Lyft all the way, baby :D Will probably monorail in.

OK, got it. Will the music for the MNSSHP fireworks show still be played in the usual spots (e.g. Poly beach, California Grill), or no? (Even if they don't, I might go explore the Poly anyway, if only because I never have before.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just a heads up for anyone that misses dole whip as much as I do. I ordered a bag of the Dole mix off Amazon and it's 100% legit. I made it in a homemade ice cream machine, the kind that uses salt and ice and it turned out pretty drat good. Short of spending 2 grand on a used Taylor machine, I couldn't ask for a better outcome. I've made 2 batches so far and still have over half the bag left easily. Just ordered the Raspberry flavor as well to give that a shot.