Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Eat This Glob posted:

I've missed all the amber/red scare stuff (I dont listen to red scare). is there an article that explains it well? amber gettin' cancelled or what?

the short version is Amber and her friend Anna, one of the Red Scare hosts, did an interview with the libertarian Koch brothers vehicle sp!ked with such gems as Amber claiming that effete white women in America are removing their ovaries en masse, and Anna declaring that America fundamentally isn't a white supremacist country. if you want an article/long version, this is pretty comprehensive

and to answer your question no, because Amber basically can't be cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Listened to It Could Happen Here, it was good. Makes me want to try to repair all those small town relationships I burned back in my Facebook days.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Amber is a contrarian who would be an ancap if she were born and raised in the Soviet Union but I still like her despite myself

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I honestly don't get why people think the Dashas are funny. The only proof people seem to have is that infowars video, and the only remarkable thing about it was she was wearing anime school girl cosplay.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've heard that the only reason Chapo Trap House never apologized for taking a picture in front of the Bill Cosby Hollywood Walk of Fame star is because Amber demanded that they don't. Seems to have worked out well for them.

Anna legitimately seems like a miserable person and incapable of feeling positive emotions. I'm not entirely sure what Dasha's deal is.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Amber and Anna will most likely make their own pod once Amber is kicked out of Chapo for some mega-take and Dasha leaves Red Scare to become a nun.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Just pledged to the War Nerd podcast, what are some must-listen episodes in the catalog? I'll probably get around to working through most of it, but what should I be listening to while I wait for the RSS link?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is War Nerd Patreon-only? I can't find it anywhere on my player.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

I've missed all the amber/red scare stuff (I dont listen to red scare). is there an article that explains it well? amber gettin' cancelled or what?

They're new yorkers, and they make podcast. :sadcoke:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ATP_Power posted:

Just pledged to the War Nerd podcast, what are some must-listen episodes in the catalog? I'll probably get around to working through most of it, but what should I be listening to while I wait for the RSS link?

Don't know the numbers but the sci fi one, the one about potential war with Iran, and the one with Yasha Levine about the history of the internet are my favorites

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's patreon only, and the thread in this forum has tons of recommendations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Montasque posted:

Amber and Anna will most likely make their own pod once Amber is kicked out of Chapo for some mega-take and Dasha leaves Red Scare to become a nun.

reusing an old podcast name idea, ambergrift

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

get that OUT of my face posted:

I've heard that the only reason Chapo Trap House never apologized for taking a picture in front of the Bill Cosby Hollywood Walk of Fame star is because Amber demanded that they don't. Seems to have worked out well for them.

iirc they did apologize, and the thing Amber vetoed was doing a dedicated episode on sexual assault activism

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My GF is a mostly left-leaning lib but gets lovely about strikes that inconvenience her or labor action in general because "they don't have to work for company X, get another job"

Amber has the same opinion about sexual assault and workplace harassment, which I suppose makes her about as left as my lib GF

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Did Current Affairs err in some way besides having an occasionally silly segment on their show
If you're going to try to be Mother Jones for 20somethings, you should at least publish something worth reading once in a while to avoid total redundancy with everything else out there.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Deified Data posted:

My GF is a mostly left-leaning lib but gets lovely about strikes that inconvenience her or labor action in general because "they don't have to work for company X, get another job"

Amber has the same opinion about sexual assault and workplace harassment, which I suppose makes her about as left as my lib GF

Amber is super pro-labour so... no.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Montasque posted:

yeah she's probably against epidurals

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

My point is if you're lovely about the working conditions women have to put up with and your response to their complaints is "put up with it, we did", you're not quite as left as you think you are.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

amber and red scare have the kind of special brain worms you get from being surrounded by woker-than-thou insufferable NYC social climbers. they’ve reacted to this with an anti-woke aesthetic, which is just an immature baby response to the annoying idiots who aren’t a big deal outside their immediate academic and brooklyn bubbles

just because there are some insanely stupid libs that are abusing and torturing intersectionality for either stupid or cynical ends, doesn’t mean you have to then give embarrassing interviews to publications like spiked where you spout regressive contrarian views. views they might or might not genuinely believe in, depending on how much it’ll upset their hated brooklyn hipster enemies

there’s an entire network of interlapping cliques in nyc media, journalism, academia, etc. and they are all driving eachother completely insane. the only solution will be a more comprehensive and final 9/11

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Deified Data posted:

My point is if you're lovely about the working conditions women have to put up with and your response to their complaints is "put up with it, we did", you're not quite as left as you think you are.

Wait, what did she say exactly? Was this about the Louis CK/Kath Barbado thing?

I've been kinda out of the loop on this drama and just came back to listening to pods and found out Dasha and Adam broke up because she's a Trad Cath or something.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ATP_Power posted:

The Isa Blumi one about Yemen is pretty good, and the latest one about weaponised Ticks and other cold war bio weapons testing is pretty horrifying in an entertaining way.
They're worth listening to chronologically to really get to know Mark and John, and their various manias. Although that's probably a sisyphean task now, given that they're generally > 2 hours long and there are 190 eps now.

also idk why they don't put the loving rss link on the patreon page, Johns is hit and miss with the newsletters and they seem to be the only place to get it now that it's a patreon authed feed and not the old direct exiledonline rss

echomadman has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Jul 17, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

Wait, what did she say exactly? Was this about the Louis CK/Kath Barbado thing?

I've been kinda out of the loop on this drama and just came back to listening to pods and found out Dasha and Adam broke up because she's a Trad Cath or something.

Amber thinks #metoo is a wedge and not really worth considering at best, and actively something to work against at worst.

And of course there's a bit of truth to that because idpol in the hands of disingenuous people will spoil anything, but to my knowledge she's never stopped to make that distinction. There's an increasing amount of nuance to issues within labor and left politics that I think she just doesn't want to engage with, but if we don't, others will assume our positions for us. I think she can do a lot better.

THS posted:

amber and red scare have the kind of special brain worms you get from being surrounded by woker-than-thou insufferable NYC social climbers. they’ve reacted to this with an anti-woke aesthetic, which is just an immature baby response to the annoying idiots who aren’t a big deal outside their immediate academic and brooklyn bubbles

It's absolutely this.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Amber has had the same set of political views for a very long time afaik, calling her a contrarian isn't really accurate description of her politics, even if she has intentionally contrarian takes sometimes, the Dashas on the other hand I have no clue because I didn't know they existed before they started their podcast/appeared on cumtown.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
amber raped my mother and murdered my small son.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing I don't understand about Amber is despite her pro-soviet stances her insistance on feminism being useless go directly against the founding tenets of the SU which was very pro-feminism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

THS posted:

just because there are some insanely stupid libs that are abusing and torturing intersectionality for either stupid or cynical ends, doesn’t mean you have to then give embarrassing interviews to publications like spiked where you spout regressive contrarian views. views they might or might not genuinely believe in, depending on how much it’ll upset their hated brooklyn hipster enemies

there’s an entire network of interlapping cliques in nyc media, journalism, academia, etc. and they are all driving eachother completely insane. the only solution will be a more comprehensive and final 9/11

Side note, one of the most cowardly things Felix has done is delete a tweet that basically said "no one can make a rational argument against nuking NYC"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

amber raped my mother and murdered my small son.

Amber "The Mountain That Rides" A'Lee Frost

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Venom Snake posted:

The thing I don't understand about Amber is despite her pro-soviet stances her insistance on feminism being useless go directly against the founding tenets of the SU which was very pro-feminism.

LIBERAL Feminism is worthless. That's the ideology most of us associate with the term 'feminism' because of how broken America is. She is a feminist. A Marxist Feminist. The Good Kind of Feminist.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

THS posted:

I get a similar podcast need filled by Red Scare as I do Bodega Boys. It's New York as hell, which is a similar but different take from my LA current home. It is an interesting cultural tour, Dasha and Anna are 2nd gen Russian as gently caress, same as Desus and Mero are 2nd gen Carribian as gently caress.

It is a different perspective.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Amber seems like a committed Marxist, I think she just gets mad at people who are anti-labor but love to complain about their own working conditions. That poo poo can drive you crazy, probably especially if you actually try to organize.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are entire bodega boys episodes rehearsed bits? I dont think I get it. when do they breathe

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Felix spends a lot of his time on the stream talking about places he would rather live than nyc.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Nanomashoes posted:

Felix spends a lot of his time on the stream talking about places he would rather live than nyc.

I think there's a lot of truth to the observation others have been making that Felix might be really in a depressed rut right now. Hating NYC, not really opting into doing any but the barest Chapo poo poo, sucking at video games and not having his stream get popular. I imagine it bites. :I

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Just heard the Red Scare intro on Current Affairs :lol:

that's some good poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

I think there's a lot of truth to the observation others have been making that Felix might be really in a depressed rut right now. Hating NYC, not really opting into doing any but the barest Chapo poo poo, sucking at video games and not having his stream get popular. I imagine it bites. :I

he's barely on the stream anymore, it's been hemorrhaging viewers since it was either fortnite or some rando playing wow

the lack of effort even from him is pretty striking. i do think he's dealing with poo poo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

LIBERAL Feminism is worthless. That's the ideology most of us associate with the term 'feminism' because of how broken America is. She is a feminist. A Marxist Feminist. The Good Kind of Feminist.

Has she described herself that way or are we putting words in her mouth?

I can't imagine her identifying as a feminist of any stripe.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
otoh, lyta gold is the fuckin' worst person on current affairs, and i'm going to listen to red scare now i don't listen to podcasts

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Mr Interweb posted:

Just heard the Red Scare intro on Current Affairs :lol:

that's some good poo poo

I just did not see British schoolboy Nathan J. Robinson and his friends going after red scare of all things. it seems so out of place and I love it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Taintrunner posted:

i don't listen to podcasts
This thread has been pretty helpful and I think I'm fully ramped up on how to antagonize folks about podcasts without actually listening to them. For example, Amber is generally right about everything and Current Affairs are a bunch of reactionary libsteins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

i say swears online posted:

he's barely on the stream anymore, it's been hemorrhaging viewers since it was either fortnite or some rando playing wow

the lack of effort even from him is pretty striking. i do think he's dealing with poo poo

i thought all of this seemingly stemmed from the stress brought on by trying to monetize the stream for all those fym guys. he talked about it a bit