Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The Oddities don’t get enough recognition as a bad stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
They were over. It doesn’t really matter how bad you are if you’re over.

There’s so much attitude stuff that is terrible in a bubble. That poo poo was over waaaay more then it should have been.

Al snow in 1999 was more over then most of the roster is today and it’s not even close.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Very disappointed in myself how little effort it took to remember that Chavo’s MIA name was Lieutenant Loco.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The American Dream posted:

Al snow in 1999 was more over then most of the roster is today and it’s not even close.

Okay, brainstorming session: who on the current roster is more over than Al Snow in 1999? I'll start:

John Cena

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"Sgt. A.W.O.L."

God how many military themed wrestlers did WCW have?
That's the wall, brother!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Defiance Industries posted:

Okay, brainstorming session: who on the current roster is more over than Al Snow in 1999? I'll start:

John Cena

Paul heyman, Daniel Bryan, Ron Simmons

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Lash LeRoux was a perfectly medium wrestler carried by the fact that he was extremely cajun and his sideburns were shaved into L's.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MrBling posted:

Lash LeRoux was a perfectly medium wrestler carried by the fact that he was extremely cajun and his sideburns were shaved into L's.

i remember liking LeRoux at the time and it was mostly based on the sideburns

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Lash LaRoux is also a hella good name

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My favorite part of MIA was Van Hammer throwing a fit that he was only a Private, so they changed his name to Major Stash, rendering nonsensical a joke that wasn't even funny in the first place.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Very on brand for Vampiro, then.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My favorite part of MIA was Van Hammer throwing a fit that he was only a Private, so they changed his name to Major Stash, rendering nonsensical a joke that wasn't even funny in the first place.

How is it nonsensical it makes it seem like he loves weed even more.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MassRafTer posted:

How is it nonsensical it makes it seem like he loves weed even more.

Probably not much as Kroniꓘ!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

The Misfits in Action were the worst stable in major league wrestling history.

The Corre at least had a good promo in it. The League of Nations had some good wrestlers.

The Misfits in Action were led by General Hugh G Rection, who sucked. His promos all sucked. He managed to have bland boring feuds with everyone. His stable mates sucked. Corporal Cajun was a bad wrestler. Private/Major Stash was a bad wrestler. All the momentum the Wall had after his brief Hogan feud and kind of a push was killed. All of their matches were bad. Their storylines, like Huge Erection's senile father, or Major Gunns feuding with Miss Hancock (or her joining Team Canada) were all horrible. The stable falling apart managed to be horrible and nonsensical with the way Chavo left.

Major Gunns despite being a horrible promo and wrestler was at least a nice person and probably the only good part of the stable.

Also their theme music sucked and their merch sucked.

Yeah, they were awful, and aside from Chavo being decent, they were all individually terrible. It wasn't a matter of them not meshing well, they were just all bad wrestlers with bland personalities, and making them into a bad stable with an unearned push didn't make them any more interesting than they had been. I remember thinking they were trying to sell Hugh Morrus as WCW's answer to Mick Foley, and well, that certainly did not work at all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think you meant to call him by his real name, Hugh G. Rection.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

MIA was better than the Natural Born Thrillers
MIA was stupid and corny. It made likable lowcarders less interesting and likable and worst of all, it gave Morrus a push with an even dumber name.

As a result, it's the kind of bad that you can laugh at. Watching NBT is like eating a loaf of Wonder Bread.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Numero6 posted:

Probably not much as Kroniꓘ!

WWE should really revive that tag team with Matt Riddle and... Well anyone. He's got the consumption covered himself.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

LividLiquid posted:

I don't think it ever played more than once per episode, but it played every episode of Nitro and Thunder for a bit there.

I distinctly remember it being played at least twice, perhaps more for a little while there, one in the first hour, one in the third, it's like they were using it to fill time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32jse

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Opinion(tm) time: Lex Luger doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he gets. He had good matches and programs up until 98 or so until like so many others, he stopped giving a poo poo 'cause WCW.

fight me irl

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I actually think that there was a period around 1995-1997 where Luger was the most consistently well-booked guy in WCW. His promos and everything are still bad, but he's entertaining and his storylines more or less make sense to accommodate his schtick. I think most people in hindsight are put off him by the overexposure and ill-fittingness of the Lex Express/America gimmick in WWF, but yeah, when he got bad in late WCW he got REAL bad, and the Liz business probably doesn't help.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I actually think that there was a period around 1995-1997 where Luger was the most consistently well-booked guy in WCW. His promos and everything are still bad, but he's entertaining and his storylines more or less make sense to accommodate his schtick. I think most people in hindsight are put off him by the overexposure and ill-fittingness of the Lex Express/America gimmick in WWF, but yeah, when he got bad in late WCW he got REAL bad, and the Liz business probably doesn't help.

Lex racking Hogan to win the title, even if only for a week, is one of my favorite wrasslin' memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEuQRggqU7A

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Opinion(tm) time: Lex Luger doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he gets. He had good matches and programs up until 98 or so until like so many others, he stopped giving a poo poo 'cause WCW.

fight me irl

Lex the performer is underrated by fans, Lex the human being was not so good.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

What's great about Luger is even in late 99 when WCW got Russo'd he was still entertaining as one of many who stopped giving a single poo poo about anything. No fucks given Lex is best Lex. Try and tell me that that time he pretended to have fallen over and hurt his knee isn't the best bad acting in wrestling history.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really liked the Narcissist character, where he wasn't even all that interested in fighting, he just wanted to knock you out so you'd leave him alone and he could go back to his mirror

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

The Misfits in Action were the worst stable in major league wrestling history.

The Corre at least had a good promo in it. The League of Nations had some good wrestlers.

The Misfits in Action were led by General Hugh G Rection, who sucked. His promos all sucked. He managed to have bland boring feuds with everyone. His stable mates sucked. Corporal Cajun was a bad wrestler. Private/Major Stash was a bad wrestler. All the momentum the Wall had after his brief Hogan feud and kind of a push was killed. All of their matches were bad. Their storylines, like Huge Erection's senile father, or Major Gunns feuding with Miss Hancock (or her joining Team Canada) were all horrible. The stable falling apart managed to be horrible and nonsensical with the way Chavo left.

Major Gunns despite being a horrible promo and wrestler was at least a nice person and probably the only good part of the stable.

Also their theme music sucked and their merch sucked.

Yo, you dealin with the X-Factor

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Were the lyrics "I know you hate X-Factor but you ain't gotta look at me like that"?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

Yo, you dealin with the X-Factor

A much better stable.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I at least remember (vaguely) things that MIA did. Straight up the only thing I remember about X-Factor is the lovely song.

Genuinely not sure who wins this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My favorite thing about X-Factor (and there are a lot of them) is how that Uncle Kracker song isn't even a song written for WWE, it's just a song he had on his album that they dubbed X-FACTOR over that bastard or whatever the original lyrics were.

I wish they'd really gone all in on that for the era so the whole thing would sound like an old B&V song contest

HI My Name is (wiki wiki) CRASH HOLLY

WHO LET THE BRITISH BULLDOG OUT?

Everybody BULL BUCHANAN's Back, All Right!

Somebody once told me the REVEREND D-VON is gonna roll me

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 17, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would unironically love the Reverend Devon one

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

X-Factors back causin’ mass destruction
Guess who’s here? The bad boys of wrestlin’

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'M STEVE BLACKMAN!

skeedeedeebahdeebopboop
bahdeebopboop

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kind of on that note I'm kind of amazed that at no point did WWF ever do a Rikishi video package to Back That rear end Up or a Steve Austin video package to #1 Stunna.

And yet they got the Big Show into the video for the Thong Song Remix.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They also had a period in the mid-00s where they chose songs for entrance themes with swearing in the chorus, so there were obvious cuts even on television. Lita’s theme was probably the worst.

SO *static* YOUR RULES MAN!!

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Edge & Christian posted:

And yet they got the Big Show into the video for the Thong Song Remix.

i was previously unaware of this mildly interesting fact

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It got heavily hyped up somewhere (WWF.com? On Raw?) and then yes, Big Show appears for approximately two seconds glancing and nodding approvingly at Foxy Brown's thong, all while being shot so he doesn't look remarkably large

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

My favorite thing about X-Factor (and there are a lot of them) is how that Uncle Kracker song isn't even a song written for WWE, it's just a song he had on his album that they dubbed X-FACTOR over that bastard or whatever the original lyrics were.

I think the original lyrics were "I know you hate that fact" which at least shares like, a single syllable with X-Factor, so there's like 0.1 points of cleverness in there.

But at least X-Factor made some sense because they were all guys the fans hated, and it was an attempt to play off of that. It didn't exactly work, because the fans didn't "love to hate them" so much as they "wanted to change the channel every time they came on screen," but at least they had the sense to make their band of boring, disliked jobbers a heel stable instead of trying to convince the fans to like them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm going with The Natural Born Thrillers being worse than MIA.
At least you could tell the members of MIA apart and they didn't spread through the entire show like Kudzu.

X-Factor came at a time when I was ridiculously tired of X-Pac. All his matches stood out for being samey and he never jobbed despite being the sort of worker who should have jobbed left and right; not because he was awful but because he frequently worked with hotter/better acts.

And I wasn't a fan of Albert, Justin Credible or Uncle Cracker either.

NWO 2000 was a gigantic mistake on every level and needed to be scrapped once Bret went down for the count. At least MIA only pushed DeMott as a midcard act. NWO 2000 pushed Jarrett as a main event act.

Do not mistake any of this for being a fan of MIA. Anything that helps Bill DeMott is autogarbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Other Worst Stable Facts:

[Yo You Dealin' With the] X-Factor managed to get wins over a bunch of jobbers, the Dudley Boys, K-Kwik, Steve Blackman, the Hardyz ft. Eddie Guerrero, and the APA.

In their brief run, the Natural Born Thrillers went over against Rey Mysterio, Diamond Dallas Page, Kevin Nash, Kanyon, Lex Luger, Rick Steiner, Tank Abbott, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome, Jim Duggan, Booker T, Bam Bam Bigelow, Curt Hennig, Buff Bagwell, Ernest Miller, etc. etc.

I think that's a solid argument for "worse than any of the other groups mentioned" on that level. There's an argument for "worst stable" in terms of wasted potential but most of those (League of Nations, Nexus, Latino World Order) are cases of mishandling good talent as opposed to pushing awful talent.

X-Factor and Misfits in Action I would argue, while being dumb, are at least using most of the people involved to their potential.