Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

It is interesting how Three Houses has abandoned basically every idea Fates had, mechanically. The only thing that really seems to be here is the idea of a homebase, but it's implemented so differently.

In general that seems to be a thing every time the series jumps consoles? Like FE6 aggressively abandoned a ton of the unique mechanics from FE4/5 and then 7/8 iterated on 6. 9 went in a new direction with a whole new skill system, Biorhythm, Laguz etc which was iterated on in 10 as its sequel then abandoned with Awakening with Fates iterating on Awakening. The remakes kinda are doing their own thing but serve as proof of concept for stuff that got fleshed out later like Avatars, class change, Gambits etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, Awakening kept Laguz as a concept even they just made them work the same way as manaketes mechanically, and the FE13/14 skill system is clearly built on the bones of 10's skill system. And Three Houses does have some of Awakening's ideas.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
And Three Houses kept personal skills from Fates along with some other stuff like the whole multiple path concept.

I don't think its like a clean break or anything. I'll bet they mine up some stuff from Fates in future titles, like how Awakening brought kids back from Geneaology.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, right, perosnal skills.

Anyway I'm mostly just saying I'm glad this game doesn't have pair-up (it kind of does but it seems barely used and more like a minor side feature for one unit per map). If this game had pair-up as a main feature the series would probably have been locked to it for the rest of time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad personal skills are sticking around. Most aren't especially interesting but I enjoy the tiny bit of extra flavour they bring.

E: Wait this game has pair up?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can effectively attach a spare unit to someone else. They can't fight, but they provide bonuses like extra attacks and blocking like regular pair-up, and they get EXP.

This is to basically deploy your entire team and never have anyone falling behind.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, I somehow completely missed that.

I'm glad it's only for one unit rather than the thing the game is based around but I would be happier to see it gone.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I mostly just wanted the stat backpack bit gone. Combo attacks are cool and fun, but Fates doubled down on making the most boring and bad part of Pair Up the mechanically best bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FE has hijacked the nintendo twitter account and are polling what activity to do with the people on their birthdays.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Whats with the giant monster gimmicks I'm hearing about for this game? It seems there some shield thing and HP regen system for them that has be a whole lot confused.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They occupy multiple squares and have multiple health bars. I think their attacks are also AoEs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

Whats with the giant monster gimmicks I'm hearing about for this game? It seems there some shield thing and HP regen system for them that has be a whole lot confused.
It's not a common every map thing, just whenever you're dealing with monsters. They have multiple health bars and occupy multiple squares, and you do more damage as you pile multiple units onto them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If you break their armor bar they cant do anything for a couple turns and I think take more damage, too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The monsters could be a good way of giving exp to weaker units as it seems you get the kill bonus for exp every time you clear a health bar.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Famitsu reviews are translated, apparently you can just submit scores without finishing a game because most of them are still in pre-time skip.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No leaker please tell me about the spoiler! What if I get 32 hours in but I can’t do a thing because I’m not at B charm. I need to know if I have to obsess.

Please I have anxiety I can’t handle video game decisions blind.

Tae posted:

Famitsu reviews are translated, apparently you can just submit scores without finishing a game because most of them are still in pre-time skip.

“Famitsu articles are a joke” is hardly a new problem, unfortunately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My guess would be the dance we've seen in some of the trailers. The dance is probably the endpoint for the pre-timeskip stuff and you need high charm to dance with your house leader, or charm determines who in your class dances with who, or whatever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also apparently I haven't been paying attention enough to gambits because one of the famitsu said it can stop movement period and another lets you counter attack regardless of distance??

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I remember one of the gambits revealed way earlier could move enemies closer to you and change their position on the map. And it was like drat these sound kinda intense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lot of them are lifted from heroes. Drawback's in the game, I'm pretty sure.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

No leaker please tell me about the spoiler! What if I get 32 hours in but I can’t do a thing because I’m not at B charm. I need to know if I have to obsess.

Please I have anxiety I can’t handle video game decisions blind.

“Famitsu articles are a joke” is hardly a new problem, unfortunately.

Charm doesn't have skill ranks, it's just part of your stats like STR. Are you thinking of Authority? Because I don't think we've got a clear idea what leveling that skill actually does yet, other than something to do with access to battalions and being required for some classes.

And yeah, Famitsu reviews are mostly a joke - case in point, Fates got a 36/40.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Charm doesn't have skill ranks, it's just part of your stats like STR. Are you thinking of Authority? Because I don't think we've got a clear idea what leveling that skill actually does yet, other than something to do with access to battalions and being required for some classes.
Authority is a weapon rank for Battalions. You raise it to get access to higher level battalions like you would raise your sword rank for access to higher level swords. It also determines Gambit damage.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

And yeah, Famitsu reviews are mostly a joke - case in point, Fates got a 36/40.

Oh god that's worse. What if I get RNG screwed.

(she asks regarding the growths of a modern fe character)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If a character gets RNG screwed for authority you can just give them extra classes in it!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

Authority is a weapon rank for Battalions. You raise it to get access to higher level battalions like you would raise your sword rank for access to higher level swords. It also determines Gambit damage.

I was thinking it was something like that, but wasn't sure.

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh god that's worse. What if I get RNG screwed.

(she asks regarding the growths of a modern fe character)

I'm honestly wondering if the last line was really referring to Authority (plus you'd think important decisions would more likely fall under that rather than how charming you are). Because after I posted I was thinking that yeah, it would be really lovely to get screwed out of "Important Decision whatever" because the RNG decided to mess with you. Unless there's some alternate means to increase it on Byleth at the very least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

I mostly just wanted the stat backpack bit gone. Combo attacks are cool and fun, but Fates doubled down on making the most boring and bad part of Pair Up the mechanically best bit.

It also reduced the thematic elements. In Awakening, pairup was about how your characters were connected to each other. Your army could use it because it was made up of families and friends who would take a bullet for each other, no question. Meanwhile, your enemies weren't able to use the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, giving you an edge. Not exactly new ground, but a nice way to mix themes and mechanics.

In Fates, meanwhile, any rear end in a top hat can do it, and instead of the strongest pairups being made by leveling both units as far as they go, you do best by insta-promoting and stat backpacking.

Also, Conquest is obsessed with gimmick maps for some reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Both sides having pair-up could have worked if Nohr and Hoshido were actually equals who were both fighting for people they love. But.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Both sides having pair-up could have worked if Nohr and Hoshido were actually equals who were both fighting for people they love. But.

Even then, you'd want to restrict it to important units. It's hard to feel like your units have a unique and important personal bond when any two random ninjas can do all the same things if they happen to wander next to each other.

(In conclusion, Fates is a bad game.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, i think that could work in a hypothetical game where you emphasize that every single person in the war has people they care about and is a human being. Yggdra Union has a pair-up/team attack system that the enemies have access to and it works because the bonds between the enemies are emphasized a ton (and Yggdra being worse than the emperor of the enemy nation is a pretty valid read.)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/JoeZieja/status/1151639441892503552

that's a way to confirm you're voicing claude alright

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

Nohr is some kind of blighted sunless hellscape for presumably dragon related reasons, You probably need really great teamwork to make a super power out of that kinda shithole!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caidin posted:

Nohr is some kind of blighted sunless hellscape for presumably dragon related reasons, You probably need really great teamwork to make a super power out of that kinda shithole!

its easy to make it a superpower when its literally the only other country on earth

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeZieja/status/1151639441892503552

that's a way to confirm you're voicing claude alright

That is the only way to confirm you're voicing Claude.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

its easy to make it a superpower when its literally the only other country on earth

I think somebody said that opera house place were that Certainly Not Azura person tried to dance Garon to death at was the capital of a neutral/Nohr friendly country. That Nohr then tried to purge a bit. Ninja hell I think was its own place, and Scarlett was from some subjugated nation I think.

I feel like there were actually a lot of countries mentioned in Fates that just kinda fell under the banner of Nohr or Hoshido for one reason or another.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

there were people wondering who voiced dimitri right?
https://twitter.com/ChrisHackneyGGK/status/1151655077842571264

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

rannum posted:

hackney was also boey in echoes and quan in heroes (so i guess he's got quan in the pipeline if we really do get the FE4 remake)

and im v glad and i guess all the NDAs are expiring now so we get to hear more about who voices who in the coming days

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 18, 2019

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Super bummed we don't have a war scarred, eye patched video from said voice actor in a very "KILL THEM ALL" tone, but neat none the less.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Caidin posted:

I think somebody said that opera house place were that Certainly Not Azura person tried to dance Garon to death at was the capital of a neutral/Nohr friendly country. That Nohr then tried to purge a bit. Ninja hell I think was its own place, and Scarlett was from some subjugated nation I think.

I feel like there were actually a lot of countries mentioned in Fates that just kinda fell under the banner of Nohr or Hoshido for one reason or another.

See, one of the numerous problems Fates had was that it totally glossed over worldbuilding for countries not named "Hoshido", "Nohr", or "Valla". They didn't even give a name to the continent it takes place on...

That said, there's those three, plus the island the Rainbow Sage lives on, and I think the place Izana came from was its own country also?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

rannum posted:

So voice detector guy is 1/2 so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Minus Green posted:

See, one of the numerous problems Fates had was that it totally glossed over worldbuilding for countries not named "Hoshido", "Nohr", or "Valla". They didn't even give a name to the continent it takes place on...

That said, there's those three, plus the island the Rainbow Sage lives on, and I think the place Izana came from was its own country also?

Ice tribe was also a subjugated nation under Nohr and Fire/Wind tribes were allied with Hoshido.