Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What are some good mods to use? I'm about to start a small 2 person server for my wife and me to play on, probably on rag or the new map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What are some good mods to use? I'm about to start a small 2 person server for my wife and me to play on, probably on rag or the new map.

You can join us in the Yacht Club: it's a chill server on Rag, but we are switching to Valg soon!

As for mods, if you are looking for a vanilla experience with some QOL improvements, the two mods I would recommend are:

Ultra Stacks: increases stack sizes so keeping perishables around and general gathering are much easier. This is a must if you increase gathering rates.

Structures Plus: most of this is in the base-game now, but installing this gives some additions that didn't make it. Notable features are being able to pick up, rather than destroy, placed items and structures (this is a Godsend for power/water lines) and adds some additional parts which make base-building much easier. There are also in-game items which are tools which allow you to remotely change settings, place/pick up structures, and micro-manage turret/spike plant settings.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh yeah, forgot we have managars.

Definitely get the stacking mod. It makes life so much easier. You can download Beacon on a computer/tablet/anything really and change your drops to have what you want pretty easily. Also learn what settings are already there so you can change stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh is the thing that shows your bodies location a mod?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Oh is the thing that shows your bodies location a mod?

If it is, tell me and I'll add it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

No, that's in normal settings in gameuser.ini I believe. We have that on but for some reason on Center it's being a dick.

You want to switch to "Expert" mode if you're going the Nitrado route.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yo I read/typed wrong it's confirmed the 19th. So next Friday I'll wake up and give us the new map.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay neat. I sitll want to build my own place, and I think I'll build it not far from the main one, there's a lake overlooking the planes that I've always wanted to build around.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

So there I was, sitting on the northern shores of Ragnarok with a downed 156 Tek Rex on the beach. I had used the ole stone dinosaur gateway trick to pin it and knock it out. About 50% finished taming by myself riding out with a wyvern to snack on brontos and use my vulture to harvest prime meat (need the rexes for the kibble, so doing it the hard way).

Wife ferries up some preserving salts and materials for spike walls to protect against the occasional carno that has been spawning in, then looks at me and says "How are we going to get this thing home?" our base is between the small river and snowy mountains just north of the green pilar.

While strapping a saddle on and going Homeward Bound would be fun, I decide to throw a raft together as we haven't had much call for one since we're kinda landlocked right now. It's only a short walk from the sea on the west to the green pylon. Fiddle with foundations, and finally drop a bed on the SS Necessity. I turn back towards the Rex and BAM I’m asleep.

Fuckin Eurypterid had come out of the shallows just after I placed the bed and stung the poo poo out of me. It’s a level 5 so it takes about 10 minutes to chomp my unconscious corpse to death as my wife laughs her rear end off (We play next to each other in our media room, but she was back at base ingame).

Is this a thing in Rag? On The Island I only ever saw these assholes way in the deep sea on the edges of the map. Luckily I was able to spawn in real quick, hop on the wyvern and chomp it before it went after the sleeping Rex and ruining 2 hours of taming.

nullscan fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 15, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, sea scorps will come out of the water sometimes, especially in viking bay. It's super annoying how fast they KO you but then how long it takes to kill you makes it worse. The only thing worse than them are the Trogdons.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Y'all need to up your fortitude. Those sea scorpions are terrible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the actual worst things are microraptors. holy poo poo gently caress those godawful things.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Scathach posted:

Y'all need to up your fortitude. Those sea scorpions are terrible.

I alway thought Fortitude was a DR, but that's good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm the idiot who puts too many points into speed...

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

My fort is at like 400 on our Rag server so it's hard to knock me out and I don't freeze to death because I run around naked a lot. Fortitude is hella useful.

Btw for anyone on Raiders, the Ab map is switching to Ext today and then Valguero on friday. Also if you guys want a spot to hide yourself and your good poo poo, Center is working how I wanted and mostly night.

E also respecs are unlimited so you can mindwipe as many times as you want.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's kind of fun to go min max with your leveling and do stupid things with it but I usually just go for enough fortitude to not die from cold/heat at first, a bit of weight, and then crafting skill.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Yeah my fort is like 400 or so and I go down and harvest those fuckers for black pearls all the time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm the idiot who puts too many points into speed...

I discovered that this was a bad idea because it means I have a giant leap everytime i get off a birb and that means I end up flying off cliffs and stuff a lot. I just keep my birb on follow so I can get back on, but dang.

It is nice to run like the Flash across the map when you accidently aggro a giga or something else dangerous. Also helps getting pearls from the water.

How do you respect in this game? I figure is a crafted food item?

Can't wait for val to start. Though when the new map goes live, does by current character get saved or do I have to start from scratch? Either way I don't mind, levels and engrams come to fast on Raiders its not an issue with starting over.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You can move your character to the new map (I think I'll be using mine from Center, since I have one there and my main on Rag). If you want to respec look up the mindwipe tonic recipe.

We did the faster leveling because over the past six months we tried SO MANY different PVP maps and got tired of starting over.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That makes sense. Plus no one wants to punch trees forever before they can get to the fun stuff.

And I got a snowy owl. I just had to build a smithy in the middle of nowhere to get build a saddle for it because i accidentally killed my pteradon when trying to save it from murder pigs.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

The pigs are the worst. I also discovered that we now have zomdodos in the desert, that was a surprise. Don't sit too long in the desert.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
It's hard to find just the right xp multiplier because too much and you skip over early game which is my favorite part but too little and the grind kills everyone later on.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hey Scathatch is something wrong with the boosts on ext? One of my tribemates says he's getting next to nothing.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Let me ask Fisto. It's his project since I'm working my 12hr days and dying inside.

E: Right as I posted that he messaged me that he has to fix stats.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Scathach posted:

Let me ask Fisto. It's his project since I'm working my 12hr days and dying inside.

E: Right as I posted that he messaged me that he has to fix stats.

Ahhh that explains it hahaha

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I'd check the coding to see what he did but my client has been all over today. It's a day where she's getting mad at her clothing so bringing out my laptop is a bad idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its too bad i can't use the steam version with Raiders. I'd like to play Extinction for a bit, but i'm not paying for it again on game pass.

But Val has basically a little bit of everything from all the maps.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ARK has taught me that if I don't see any raptors somewhere, I can safely assume there are at least seven raptors nearby plotting to kill me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Addamere posted:

ARK has taught me that if I don't see any raptors somewhere, I can safely assume there are at least seven raptors nearby plotting to kill me.

this happened to me the other night, I kept landing to pick up resources or something, and a raptor would fall from the sky and attack me twice. The tonight I wanted to see if I could tame a Spino as a I got a spino saddle in a drop, every time I set down, a pack of them would appear and attack me.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
For me it's sabertooth and taming, if I knock something out and look away for 3 seconds there will be a sabertooth chewing on the knocked out dino when I look back.
They sneak in and wait for my attention to slip. I've had them run past me to attack something I'm taming many times.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Pikes are your friends. I haven't met a dino I can't pike the gently caress out of.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Scathach posted:

Pikes are your friends. I haven't met a dino I can't pike the gently caress out of.

Suddenly giga

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pikes aren't that great if all your points are in crafting skill though.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So, quick question(s) I'm trying to scour some answers for. My wife and I set up a tiny server for us (and maybe eventually a few friends). We've got some bigger mods, and I run into an issue with Snapshot 16 if we put too many on. From what I can tell, that's an error that occurs when the server is trying to communicate information to the client, and if it takes too long for the client to receive this information, a disconnect occurs. This can be remedied by getting more RAM or upgrading to an SSD. Is that close?

I also saw Snapshot 10 a couple times, which seems to be an issue relating to server capacity? Which shouldn't be a problem for us with only 1 or 2 people ever attempting to connect. Or is Snapshot 10 another map issue that may require a file validation?

This game is so wonky and frustrating to deal with sometimes, with respect to connecting to servers

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Skypie posted:

So, quick question(s) I'm trying to scour some answers for. My wife and I set up a tiny server for us (and maybe eventually a few friends). We've got some bigger mods, and I run into an issue with Snapshot 16 if we put too many on. From what I can tell, that's an error that occurs when the server is trying to communicate information to the client, and if it takes too long for the client to receive this information, a disconnect occurs. This can be remedied by getting more RAM or upgrading to an SSD. Is that close?

I also saw Snapshot 10 a couple times, which seems to be an issue relating to server capacity? Which shouldn't be a problem for us with only 1 or 2 people ever attempting to connect. Or is Snapshot 10 another map issue that may require a file validation?

This game is so wonky and frustrating to deal with sometimes, with respect to connecting to servers

Which mods? They can break poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The vast majority of mods haven't been maintained or updated so even ones with top subscribers may not have been updated since like, 2017 or something.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Pikes aren't that great if all your points are in crafting skill though.

Use that crafting skill to make some wooden spike walls!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Killed an alpha mosa and it just had a saddle for loot :negative:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Raiders switches to Val when tomorrow?

Karma Comedian posted:

Killed an alpha mosa and it just had a saddle for loot :negative:

This reminds me when i went for the drop in the Desert and fought a bunch of poo poo only to get a +200 pick and a some black pearls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Whenever Nitrado updates their servers. I think it drops sometime around 10AM PNW time, but then they have to update their stuff. I should be home to do it.