Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It is just extreme vocal fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

From Marketplace this morning: "There's Hot Yoga...why not Hot Economics?"

Never have I turned off the radio so quickly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah that perked my ears up. Then they did a story about how they finally called a racist thing racist. It’s news that news is calling things what they are this one time. Maybe it’ll continue.
In true NPR fashion, women of color have been saying this poo poo for years.

Nancy Pelosi does it (albeit from the pulpit) and suddenly it's everywhere.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
have we said Nice Polite Republicans yet?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
One of the best parts of NPR a few years back was a (possibly local station) sponsor who sold and advocated for squat toilet stands. You can't sit, it's bad for you. BUT squat toilets are weird and / or asian-y so we'll sell you a little potty stand that every houseguest you ever have will wonder what the gently caress about.

So there'd be the standard NPR article about what to feel bad about in politics/current events, then there's be a commercial about how people can't even poo poo correctly

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

egyptian rat race posted:

One of the best parts of NPR a few years back was a (possibly local station) sponsor who sold and advocated for squat toilet stands. You can't sit, it's bad for you. BUT squat toilets are weird and / or asian-y so we'll sell you a little potty stand that every houseguest you ever have will wonder what the gently caress about.

So there'd be the standard NPR article about what to feel bad about in politics/current events, then there's be a commercial about how people can't even poo poo correctly

Look at this ignorant moron who doesn’t even know the benefits of making GBS threads in proper squat position.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The best way to poo poo is while doing a handstand.

let me on npr i wanna advertise my new toilet.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

Alexandper Sofia-Digger, live from Belgrade

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Moridin920 posted:

Alexandper Sofia-Digger, live from Belgrade

Did we date the same girl in high school?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I could have sworn she had polyps removed.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Was in Kansas City and one of the women on the local NPR station kept pronouncing the city of Bogotá like "pagoda" with a "b". Bagoda.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

MaoistBanker posted:

Was in Kansas City and one of the women on the local NPR station kept pronouncing the city of Bogotá like "pagoda" with a "b". Bagoda.

I wonder if it was on KCPR or KANU? 91.5 or 89.3?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

MaoistBanker posted:

I'm Kee Malesky, smdh.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*is allergic to the words torture and racist*
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1151497294476447745

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Im that horrible sounding wisconsin (i think) lady on this american life

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ashmole posted:

Im that horrible sounding wisconsin (i think) lady on this american life
Which one?

NPR loves people who grew up in the Midwest and then moved to East Coast City for/after college. They have real heartland knowledge but were smart enough to leave those hicks behind and become urbanites. They were great for 2 years of Chud Safaris.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If the twitter thread is correct, he's also the guy who wouldn't let them call lies, lies, because they couldn't be sure they were intentional lies.

I'm hopeful this podcast where he argues with another NPR man about whether they can say racist things are racist, isn't a tepid drink of water. https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=742448398

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Pershing posted:

This sounds like some stupid poo poo Jay Shetty would come up with.

"We've crossed to the moon, so why do we no longer start a conversation with someone across the room."

wow so powerful and these are definitely things that warrant comparison

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80hEjYqYTDE

"goat cheese and hummus"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I authorize a radio show run by some weird professor to only talk about obscure american music genres.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

I'm gonna repeat exactly what Trump said about the Iranian drone our military shot down without questioning even one single word of it. Then I'm gonna do the same about the head of ICE's hearing in front of Congress. You will listen to it on the hour and half-hour all day. I am serious journalist. This is NPR.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I am going to do a story that gives a positive spin to pay day loan companies and suggest that jobs are created and that the ceo is just like the middleclass cucks who listen to the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In the next hour, we'll speak with Mayo Whitman, an investor in Compton who is opening an organic restaurant with family styled seating and is attracting a new clientele.

"The area was just so... rich with history and just.. you know... deprived of culture that took advantage of that. So my restaurant invites people into the neighborhood, invites them to sit at a table and have a conversation."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

new kind of cat posted:

how the gently caress do people tolerate Ira Glass’s voice. i only ever hear it in promos and I want to dump him in a garbage bin

Today on this American life we look at the alcoholic daughter of a hedgefund manager and how she finds meaning in life. I am Ira Glass.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

As I slid the breathing mask over my face, shoved the CPAP machine's intake tube eight inches into my own rectum, and thumbed the power switch, it occurred to me: isn't huffing one's own farts the most immediate and direct form of recycling? By mainlining my farts, was I making the ultimate green statement? I'm Ira Glass, and today on This American Life, a story in three parts. Part one: my colleagues in the studio, who all sound like me or Sarah Koenig, have a strangely snide and passive-aggressive debate over which twee ukulele songs best define post-Trump America. Part two: Sarah Vow composes a letter to a childhood bully with the help of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez. Part three: Marjorie Glans-Philtrum reads an intensely boring excerpt from her story about a man slowly turning into a horse.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Walrus posted:

As I slid the breathing mask over my face, shoved the CPAP machine's intake tube eight inches into my own rectum, and thumbed the power switch, it occurred to me: isn't huffing one's own farts the most immediate and direct form of recycling? By mainlining my farts, was I making the ultimate green statement? I'm Ira Glass, and today on This American Life, a story in three parts. Part one: my colleagues in the studio, who all sound like me or Sarah Koenig, have a strangely snide and passive-aggressive debate over which twee ukulele songs best define post-Trump America. Part two: Sarah Vow composes a letter to a childhood bully with the help of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez. Part three: Marjorie Glans-Philtrum reads an intensely boring excerpt from her story about a man slowly turning into a horse.

Yes this episode sucked. I remember.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fictional TALs are always horrible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

UltraRed posted:

Fictional TALs are always horrible.

Just like the real thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

D-Pad posted:

There was an article or blog from years ago about how much Garrison Kieller/Prairie Home Companion sucks and it was extremely funny. Just an epic rant. Over the years I have searched for it many times and never been able to find it again. Goons are good at finding things, please find this.

I believe it was written by Bryce whatshisname who fought for the kurds in Syria.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

"Hi welcome back to All Things Considered, I'm Stevinski and this is the insufferable culture part of the program where we interview a real life mandolin musician from war-torn Scotland, Mr. Jeff Jeffersby. Good evening, Jeff. When you were writing your album, "I wrote this album because my mom died and I'm sad", what would you say was the overall emotion going through your head at the time?"

"Mostly sadness, what with all the mom death going on in my life."

"There you have it, folks. I'm Stevinski for NPR"

*Jeff's album plays, and for the purposes of this post I can't tell you what any of the music ever sounds like in these loving segments because I have already switched over to sports talk or another affiliate*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

"Hi welcome back to All Things Considered, I'm Stevinski and this is the insufferable culture part of the program where we interview a real life mandolin musician from war-torn Scotland, Mr. Jeff Jeffersby. Good evening, Jeff. When you were writing your album, "I wrote this album because my mom died and I'm sad", what would you say was the overall emotion going through your head at the time?"

"Mostly sadness, what with all the mom death going on in my life."

"There you have it, folks. I'm Stevinski for NPR"

*Jeff's album plays, and for the purposes of this post I can't tell you what any of the music ever sounds like in these loving segments because I have already switched over to sports talk or another affiliate*

steve innskeep. it's stebe inskepe. not "stvesinksky" like some russian ballerina composier

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

steve innskeep. it's stebe inskepe. not "stvesinksky" like some russian ballerina composier

who

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Steven Skee

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Today on This American Life, the Rat Race. Act One: we'll meet a young woman who was on top of the world. Fast cars, luxury homes, and a guaranteed ticket to an early retirement... until that all went away. We'll hear about how this changed her outlook on life. Act 2: send in the cheese. A UCLA researcher talks to us about stress. Then to close it off, in Act 3, the surprising way traffic jams may be making you a better person.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i believe you'll find it's........... whom :ocelot::smugbird:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pershing posted:

see it's this poo poo

like the country is literally in dire, oh-gently caress crisis right now, we are detaining and killing children at our border, but god drat NPR just has to keep up it's 100:1 balance of fluff piece horseshit to actually covering what is happening in the country

and even when they do it's so neutered and centrist that who the gently caress cares

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Stevinksy, the significantly less cool brother of Kavinsky

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I don’t think he’s there anymore but the best guy ever on npr/this American life was that guy in Utah who would have adventures with drug addicts and the mentally ill while barely keeping his own crumbling hold on sanity. That guy was legit cool.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Any time I listen to 'Wait Wait', the host, Peter Sagal (and usually Mo Rocca too) make at least one joke seemingly pulled right from a topical GBS thread.
Sometimes almost literally verbatim.

This week was a bad example, but they brought up James Bond being replaced by a woman and Sagal made the joke of her now needing an objectified bond-boy called 'octo-dong' which I'm pretty sure was posted right in the GBS thread about it. I mean, that's not the world's toughest joke to write, but it's what caught my ear THIS time and I KNOW I've heard him and others on the show use stuff I've seen posted pretty much directly as material, so I wouldn't be surprised if they or a writer or something reads this.

What I'm saying is please work 'Big Beef City' into your show material this week and I'll know for sure tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Paula Poundstone, Greg Proops, and Mo Rocca all on the same episode of WWDTM trying to do a funny voice impression