Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

1. It is unclear if you have satellite access. Satellite should be fine for downloading patches, from these accounts. It is just not going to be great for actual gameplay.
2. If your girlfriend is not also under these restrictions, she could copy the game install onto a flash drive and mail it to you. (For bonus points you can then recycle the flash drives to milk large downloads off any public terminals.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Eden owns. Enjoyed the fights with their mostly familiar visual language and a few new mechanics. Loot system is definitely an improvement, even when it leads to slight delays on rolls. Story seems fine. Presentation is A+, wasn't expecting (E1) a laser mecha as the first opponent, followed by an extremely anime core, but I'll take it. Aesthetic hints of Xenogears!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

E4 is fun and hilarious but the savage version is going to be a ball buster. I am expecting some "this square is gone for the rest of the fight" style mechanics.

And even on normal, hiding in a corner from bombs only to see the spread square appear next to me was a :magical: moment.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

E4 is fun and hilarious but the savage version is going to be a ball buster. I am expecting some "this square is gone for the rest of the fight" style mechanics.

It'd be horrendously cruel, but a part of me thinks that there's going to be at least one phase where getting knocked off traps your body out of res range, old Titan style.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm expecting Savage E4 to have an extra phase where Titan pops off all his armor and just fights you with his fists.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Re Eden savages: I hope the savage fights involve you being visibly distracted for a moment, introducing some horrible new equation into the fight. Like Moggle Mog showing up during the Ramuh one, etc.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I'm expecting Savage E4 to have an extra phase where Titan pops off all his armor and just fights you with his fists.

Oh see I'm expecting some fun new transformations from him. I also bet they'll take the breaking and rebuilding arena from E3 and apply it to some of the E4 mechanics as well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh see I'm expecting some fun new transformations from him.

Fun new transformations, eh?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in savage we will see titancopter

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh see I'm expecting some fun new transformations from him. I also bet they'll take the breaking and rebuilding arena from E3 and apply it to some of the E4 mechanics as well.

new duty action:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I wonder if I was the only one who, for just a few brief moments , first saw Amaurot and immediately thought ".....Zanarkand? :aaa:"
A lot of that and it's Rapture aesthetic comes from the fact that it's currently at the bottom of the ocean.
Put it somewhere where there's not a lot of water around and above it and you wouldn't be getting those parallels.

Sticking it there was totally intentional though. Both for logical and reference reasons :v:

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
6 DirectX 11 crashes in less than an hour of playtime. So that's super fun. Didn't do it at all yesterday, so I don't know why today would be all jacked.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Never had problem with DirectX 11 except once when my Reshade was out of date, sure everything relevant like drivers and such are updated?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alaemon posted:

6 DirectX 11 crashes in less than an hour of playtime. So that's super fun. Didn't do it at all yesterday, so I don't know why today would be all jacked.

My past experience with it is that it just randomly appears on occasion after my system boots up. Restarting your PC usually fixes it. I also had an odd conflict with web players like YouTube running at the same time that'd cause the occasional crash, but it was more the former issue than the latter.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

part of what i really like about the eden raids is it fits my own dumb head canon for my character

i've always jokingly said that my WoL is just seeking the next bigger and better fight, and that if anyone would be the writer of his biography it'd be the wandering minstrel. E3-4 i can easily justify as "levi and titan were so passé that he legitimately doesn't even remember them anymore" or "now's the PERFECT chance to one-up even the EMBELLISHED version of my story!! :haw:"

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Vermain posted:

My past experience with it is that it just randomly appears on occasion after my system boots up. Restarting your PC usually fixes it. I also had an odd conflict with web players like YouTube running at the same time that'd cause the occasional crash, but it was more the former issue than the latter.

I can try a restart. Drivers are all up to date. When I first got this computer I had to install Afterburner to drop the core clock speed and that seemed to work. But today is a whole different level of messed up.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Currently, just hit 29 on my Thaumaturge and just playing through the story because the XP is so good. I just wish I could unlock the jobs I actually want before playing so far into the story to get them. I'd love to get RDM/Gunblader-er/and DRK but seems like it's gonna be a long time. Haven't even got my Chocobo license yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

part of what i really like about the eden raids is it fits my own dumb head canon for my character

i've always jokingly said that my WoL is just seeking the next bigger and better fight, and that if anyone would be the writer of his biography it'd be the wandering minstrel. E3-4 i can easily justify as "levi and titan were so passé that he legitimately doesn't even remember them anymore" or "now's the PERFECT chance to one-up even the EMBELLISHED version of my story!! :haw:"

Savage is like "and Leviathan had t.. no! No, THREE heads. And Titan combined with Brute Justice to form Brute Titan and it had the best theme song ever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Diabetic posted:

Currently, just hit 29 on my Thaumaturge and just playing through the story because the XP is so good. I just wish I could unlock the jobs I actually want before playing so far into the story to get them. I'd love to get RDM/Gunblader-er/and DRK but seems like it's gonna be a long time. Haven't even got my Chocobo license yet.
Assuming you have the expacs, RDM will be available when you hit 50 I think no matter where you are in the MSQ. DRK requires you to hit Heavensward which is at least 50 but is more about MSQ. Gunblader I think requires 60. Of course if you have money to burn you could buy a job skip potion for anyone and unlock RDM and GUN -- DRK requires Heavensward even so though :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Diabetic posted:

You can unlock your companion at 30, but you should have unlocked mounts at 20.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
hey dudes. things are going well on my ninja, I guess. I'm still trying to catch up the arr msq to my level (45 atm).

I'm thinking about one of the advanced(?) jobs to try out when I get to 50 or 60. I'm leaning towards maybe gunblade? They seem fun and effective. How do they stack up to other tanks with soloing and stuff? my main concern with a tank is that it may be more boring doing quest content solo or whatever.

also, as an aside, I submitted a ticket wrt my issue with not receiving pre-order bonuses.

I have a ticket number, but uhh I can't find any way to actually look at the status of my ticket? what is this website

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tabletops posted:

hey dudes. things are going well on my ninja, I guess. I'm still trying to catch up the arr msq to my level (45 atm).

I'm thinking about one of the advanced(?) jobs to try out when I get to 50 or 60. I'm leaning towards maybe gunblade? They seem fun and effective. How do they stack up to other tanks with soloing and stuff? my main concern with a tank is that it may be more boring doing quest content solo or whatever.

New tiers of jobs aren't any more advanced than the others, and if you're used to ninja most will look simple in comparison.

Gunbreakers, for what high end content exists, are rated very highly and do the most damage out of the tanks. Soloing will be slower than Ninja, but also easier due to your durability.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

New tiers of jobs aren't any more advanced than the others, and if you're used to ninja most will look simple in comparison.

Gunbreakers, for what high end content exists, are rated very highly and do the most damage out of the tanks. Soloing will be slower than Ninja, but also easier due to your durability.

That sounds good, one thing I enjoy (for some reason) in other mmos and games is AE farming. I know farming isn't much of a thing (I don't think?) in ffxiv, but I still enjoy the act of killing lots of dudes at once. I know tanks are pretty good at it generally.

also re: ninja, I'm guessing it gets more complex later than I am. At the moment I pretty much cast my naruto powers every 20 seconds and otherwise just do my 123 rotation or whatever.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tabletops posted:

That sounds good, one thing I enjoy (for some reason) in other mmos and games is AE farming. I know farming isn't much of a thing (I don't think?) in ffxiv, but I still enjoy the act of killing lots of dudes at once. I know tanks are pretty good at it generally.

also re: ninja, I'm guessing it gets more complex later than I am. At the moment I pretty much cast my naruto powers every 20 seconds and otherwise just do my 123 rotation or whatever.

Yeah, once your ninja is higher level, you'll be down to a 2.0GCD, have more than a 123, and you'll be using your ninjitsu a lot more. And using skills to buff your ninjistu. As well as having another resource gauge to manage.

Tanks are good at grouping up a ton of mobs in FATEs when you're running around in a FATE train, but otherwise you don't need to or will want to pick up large groups of mobs. They're also great at just shrugging off raid mechanics to keep dps uptime going when the rest of the party is running and hiding.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ImpAtom posted:

Savage is like "and Leviathan had t.. no! No, THREE heads. And Titan combined with Brute Justice to form Brute Titan and it had the best theme song ever.

Leviathan is, "There were two spots to hit and both spots attacked me... it must have had two heads then. Yeah, that sounds right."

Titan is, "Landslides, knockback, falling, oh gently caress the Garleans have slaughtered my friends and allies."

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, once your ninja is higher level, you'll be down to a 2.0GCD, have more than a 123, and you'll be using your ninjitsu a lot more. And using skills to buff your ninjistu. As well as having another resource gauge to manage.

Tanks are good at grouping up a ton of mobs in FATEs when you're running around in a FATE train, but otherwise you don't need to or will want to pick up large groups of mobs. They're also great at just shrugging off raid mechanics to keep dps uptime going when the rest of the party is running and hiding.

regarding the naruto powers, it's possible to just make a macro to do the correct order for the various things right? that seems basic I guess but just wanted to make sure it is before I deep dive into the games macro system.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
macros to use abilities are finicky, unresponsive, and a dps loss, especially for mudras because they have a faster than normal cooldown

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tabletops posted:

I am also playing a ninja currently my first time through the game and yes it does get a lot more complex after level 50. I am currently level 59 and I currently have a
1-2 dot combo
1-3-4 rear finisher combo
1-3-5 flank finisher combo that refreshes my Huton

There also is a 1-2 AoE combo that adds 10 seconds to your Huton gage. You also will have an ability that resets your ninjitsu cool downs so you can fire off multiple ones in quick succession. Being able to keep up Huton 100% of the time is huge and the game feels great with the GDC at 2.0.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tabletops posted:

regarding the naruto powers, it's possible to just make a macro to do the correct order for the various things right? that seems basic I guess but just wanted to make sure it is before I deep dive into the games macro system.

Do not macro abilities under any circumstances unless you're crafting. Especially naruto powers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

somepartsareme posted:

macros to use abilities are finicky, unresponsive, and a dps loss, especially for mudras because they have a faster than normal cooldown
Yeah even macros that are just things like "Declare you're rezzing a target to avoid wasted casts" followed by "/cast rez" can run into issues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibblebibble posted:

Do not macro abilities under any circumstances unless you're crafting. Especially naruto powers.

A Salted Earth macro isn't the worst thing in the world

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's not, but it still makes me feel bad every time i use it and/or fail to use it because it didnt go off

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also the Autoturret

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tabletops posted:

From a technical perspective you can, but everyone is going to say don't.

Macros that run multiple abilities can only work on full integer second increments. This alone will drop your damage on regular abilities by double digit percentages.
Macros can't queue abilities. If you click your next ability about 1/4 through it's cooldown, the server will queue it and activate it instantly, regardless of latency. Mudras alone are so fast, the latency and timing adds huge losses due to the delayed global cooldown.

Either or both are severe dps losses.

Macros are best for things that are targetted finicky and always have the same target, or are ground targetted. Your teleport, for example, can be a turd to target. If you macro it to drop you at your target, it can be worth the loss. Tank abilities that always target the other tank are similar, as you don't need to target, cast, retarget.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tabletops posted:

What worked for me was setting them Q,E,R with F being Ninjitsu. It takes a while to get the muscle memory down but it allowed me to fire the off really quick without really having to think about it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

OK, yeah, targeting macros are fine, generally.

Don't macro together multiple skills under any circumstances that aren't crafting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ibblebibble posted:

OK, yeah, targeting macros are fine, generally.

Don't macro together multiple skills under any circumstances that aren't crafting.

For sure

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Vermain posted:

I don't want to jinx this by suggesting it worked, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Macroing oGCD skills which are usually called ability works well for me, I have issues with the GCD spells not activating properly under macro condition