Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
In general, his iconography, metonymy, synecdoche and symbols/signs are great and is what i miss most second to his funny dialogues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Android Blues posted:

Hussie's use of colour (and understanding of colour theory) is incredibly good in Homestuck. His designs and compositions are generally great at getting across ideas using blocks of colour. There are so many drawings in Homestuck that have no lines, just well-chosen contrasting and complementary colours.

Plus, his use of colour informs the story in a lot of weird, interesting, unexpected ways. For instance: Terezi's shades are red, the natural complement to teal. Her love of the colour red all spins out of that element of her design, and informs her relationships with Karkat and Dave, among other things. Likewise, the ocean surrounding Dirk's apartment is a mellow blue, the direct complement to the shade of orange that's associated with his text and shirt icon. If his icon had been pink or green or black instead, he might not have been stranded in the middle of the ocean, and the whole "antediluvian flood" element of his and Roxy's stories might have changed.

I will argue for this being the best frame in Homestuck. (Sollux dueling Eridan)

This whole section is wonderful; these bits from Kanaya's revenge are also :discourse:.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think Hussie mentioned designing color software for his dad’s company. He’s always had a knack for it, and I think it’s a reason why MSPA comics as a whole look good despite the art being well below what Hussie is capable of as an artist.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know much about art or colour theory, but I can tell you that trying to re-read Homestuck on my black-and-white screen really makes the absence of colour noticeable, it's doing a whole lot of work.

The art style Hussie developed for Homestuck, which seemed to evolve iteratively out of the previous MS Paint Adventure comics, is an interesting part of how the comic succeeded. It was flexible enough that he could draw and animate the characters in a variety of ways with it all still hanging together well, even when shifting or mixing styles together in a rapid-paced flash animation. It also let him keep up a prodigious update pace. I don't know enough to really appreciate how it works, but it seems really well-thought-out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does one of the artists in this thread feel like telling me about what's going on in Sollux and Eridan's duel?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Like... colour wise?

Eridan and Sollux are coloured their respective blood colours. Eridan is surrounded by white because that is what his science-magic is represented as. Sollox is surrounded by purple because red & blue make purple, the combination of his two main colours. He is shooting out blue and red beams because his eyes at the time are blue and red.

The background colours are... stuff? to ensure you aren't getting distracted form the battle. They're battling. Over Feferi, even though Feferi 100% correctly chose and chooses Sollux.

an actual artist can give the correct technical terms

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

life_source posted:

Like... colour wise?

Eridan and Sollux are coloured their respective blood colours. Eridan is surrounded by white because that is what his science-magic is represented as. Sollox is surrounded by purple because red & blue make purple, the combination of his two main colours. He is shooting out blue and red beams because his eyes at the time are blue and red.

The background colours are... stuff? to ensure you aren't getting distracted form the battle. They're battling. Over Feferi, even though Feferi 100% correctly chose and chooses Sollux.

an actual artist can give the correct technical terms

except in candy where she is now with eridan because lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Clawtopsy posted:

except in candy where she is now with eridan because lol

Lol nah, she just participated in Gamzee's weird redemption ritual and then hosed off.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does one of the artists in this thread feel like telling me about what's going on in Sollux and Eridan's duel?

So this is basically a study in using a complex colour palette. It's a real explosion of expertly placed constrasting and complementary colours.

The two "base" colours are yellow and purple, Sollux and Eridan, which are natural opposites and complements. Complementary colours are the opposites on a light-based (rather than pigment-based) colour wheel, and are two colours that give a very vibrant, distinctive look when they're used together. Here, they're used like two lodestones on opposite sides of the image - twin focal points that draw the eye to the scene's main characters. Sollux's yellow silhouette is also complemented by a purple field, so that your attention goes to him - the ostensible protagonist in this scene - first of all. Since the rest of the palette spins out of purple and yellow organically, the viewer's attention is naturally and unconsciously drawn to the purple and yellow elements - which is good, because "the purple and the yellow are fighting" is the most important part of the scene's storytelling.

From the purple-yellow base scheme, Hussie has extended the palette into a complementary square - the colours midway between purple and yellow on either side of the colour wheel, dark orange and sea blue, are used in the middle of the scene, almost like they're dividing a battlefield. So you get another strong complement in the middle, and this time it actually is touching - representative of the conflict between the root complementary colours it's derived from, just extended outwards. This gives a sense of the participants being so important and/or powerful that their colour schemes are extrapolating into the colours of the space around them. It's really complex and interesting colour storytelling, and it only gets more complex after that!

For Sollux's eye beams, you have this really easy red/blue primary colour contrast. This is not complementary - because if it was, it'd soak up too much attention and distract from the main scheme. Likewise, Eridan's wand has a mellow white/grey contrast*. These are both useful contrasts, but they don't give the same sense of vibrancy, urgency, glare etc. that a complementary colour pair does. If they did, the scene would become muddled. So you still get this sense of impact with the contrasting colours, but they don't overwhelm the core purple/yellow/blue/orange palette.

Instead, it's cleverly integrated into it. Hussie does this using the curvature of the background's colours so that the red, upper half of Sollux's eyebeams splashes against the deep orange in an analogous contrast. Meanwhile, the blue lower half (brilliantly) intersects against the purple and the deep blue, which are both analogous to the bright blue of the eyebeams. Analogous colours are right next to one another on a light-based colour wheel, and they're mellow, blend-y, pleasing but not too striking. This is perfect, because the eyebeams contrasting too harshly with any part of the background would distract the viewer from the main drama of the scene - the two battlefronts mustered up by purple and yellow, colliding in the central complement.

But how he's done it is really something - he's constructed a secondary colour scheme entirely derived from the first one which occupies only this piece of the image, is visually interesting without robbing the main complements of drama, and integrates seamlessly into the palette in its totality. The bottom left is particularly impressive, because deep blue and purple are analogous on either side of primary blue, so it's a miniaturised analogous colour scheme rolling across this lower left corner of the image. It would be so easy to hash this kind of virtuosity up and wind up with an unreadable mess, but expert placement of the blocks of colour has made it a contained and integrated element of the overall effect, rather than a weird deviation.

Eridan, meanwhile, gets to cheat with white, which contrasts pleasingly with pretty much any colour you could imagine. That's why little splashes and beads of white intrude on Sollux's side of the battlefield - they can do that without marring the composition. If you had an equal amount of primary blue splashes intruding on the deep orange that marks out Eridan's side, it would introduce an "off" contrast between the deep orange and the primary blue, which would look very messy if it made up any significant part of the image, and would mar the drama of the sea blue/deep orange complement clashing in the middle - which feeds back into the drama of the yellow/purple clash that the complementary square is built on. It would be a detriment to the whole image! That's part of why it's so cool that Hussie has taken great care to make Sollux's awkward to integrate red/blue eyebeams meld into the palette and the composition so seamlessly. The white wand energy is a gimme in comparison.

The edges of the complementary battlefield, the space behind Sollux and Eridan at the top and bottom of the image, become more saturated, so that they're still of a one with the complementary square that centres the colour scheme, but are no longer directly complementing Sollux and Eridan's relatively desaturated purple and yellow colours. This gives the sense that all the power is being thrust forward from both combatants, and what's behind them is just a corona - which really sells the motion and drama of the scene. This isn't just a backdrop, it's colliding energy that visibly dissipates as we move out of the centre of the action. This also gives the scene a border, which helps to make it feel grounded in a place, even though we can't see the scenery right now.

Hope you found that useful! It is a really great scene - thanks for pointing it out. A lot of this stuff is only obvious when you inspect it, because it's so naturally pleasing that your non-analytical reaction is just to go, "wow, cool, that looks good" without really thinking about why.

Arguably, part of the reason Sollux and Eridan are rivals who come to blows might be because Hussie was inspired by the idea of "purple vs. yellow". That's conjecture, but you can definitely see colour theory influencing Homestuck's narrative beats in a lot of places, and this might be a less obvious version of that.

*: You can find this sort of contrast by taking a complementary pair and then shifting one of the colours up or down a spot on the wheel - for instance, white/black or red/turquoise would be complementary, but if you shift the black to a grey or the turquoise to a primary blue, you get a contrast that dominates the scheme a little less.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 18, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also worth noting that the next page (https://www.homestuck.com/story/3323) follows on from this scheme beautifully. Eridan predominates, and the orange half of the battlefield, now unmarred by the restrictions of having to harmonise with yellow and sea blue, blossoms into a coruscating analogous palette the root colour of which is the deep orange complement to his purple. The splashes of white that were pushing and crossing colour boundaries, confidently contrasting with everything on the page before, now extend into jubilant streamers that give visual interest to the analogous orange palette by breaking it up with streaks of contrast, while separating the parts of it that wouldn't be directly complementary with dark purple from Eridan himself.

Eridan wins, so his colour scheme gets to stretch its legs and introduce analogous elements that would have muddled up the palette if Sollux was still (literally) in the picture. Colour storytelling!

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 18, 2019

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

I think Hussie mentioned designing color software for his dad’s company. He’s always had a knack for it, and I think it’s a reason why MSPA comics as a whole look good despite the art being well below what Hussie is capable of as an artist.

I didn't know what exactly it was for but I've seen screenshots of the Photoshop plugin he designed for color. I think it was downloadable?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Android Blues posted:

So this is basically a study in using a complex colour palette. It's a real explosion of expertly placed constrasting and complementary colours.
[more awesome poo poo]

This is fantastic and I learned stuff. Thank you so much.

e: Sollux shoulda won dammit.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 18, 2019

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Android Blues posted:

So this is basically a study in using a complex colour palette.

This is an excellent post. Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A small detail I've always liked is that each Beta kid's god-tier shoe is the color of their alternate-moon opposite-sex friend.

Jade has Dave's accent red in her Dorothy shoes. Rose has John's accent blue in her shoes. John has Rose's accent yellow in his slip-ons. Dave's sneakers are Jade's black and grey.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Various what pumpkin people are starting to make noise about the "next homestuck thing" which means that whatever it is we're close enough now to start getting hype/worried/both

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's fast.

life_source
May 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/homestuck/status/1151985090404204544

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Isn't that a quote from the existing epilogue?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Various what pumpkin people are starting to make noise about the "next homestuck thing" which means that whatever it is we're close enough now to start getting hype/worried/both

Well poo poo, does this mean you have to make that Omelet?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well poo poo, does this mean you have to make that Omelet?

Never let it be said that Plom Bar is too proud to admit to being proven wrong

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Never let it be said that Plom Bar is too proud to admit to being proven wrong

Yeah, well, in Plom Bar's defense I was 99.9% sure they were gonna be right and win this bet handily. I even came up with my own custom meat/candy omelet recipe. Here it is in case anyone wants to try making it at home:

Lost Bet Omelet recipe

1. Eggs
2. Jujubes candy (mix them in with the eggs)
3. Gushers (are these even still a thing?)
4. Whatever leftover Halloween candy I have
5. candy canes
6. Spam
7. Tuna
8. All Beef hot dogs
9. pre-shredded Cheese
10. Photo of Keanu Reeves (torn up, mixed with cheese, for strength of will and compassion)
11. Vanilla extract
12. Almond extract
13. Peppermint extract
14. Just a fuckton of Ketchup
15. Red and Green food coloring
16. chocolate sauce
17. Glitter
18. Whipped cream (covers all sins)
19. Cherry (for garnish)
20. Hope (not to die)

Cook: over fire or microwave until something happens.

Possibly relevant:

A month ago James Roach posted this track called "the note desolation play": https://soundcloud.com/jamesroachmusic/the-note-desolation-plays

Please note how A) It cuts off just before the last note of the song can be played and B) the song description is "how mysterious"

Now I'm not saying there for sure is going to be a "Pumpkin Epilogue", but if there is this song is gonna be in it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i cant tell if the thread needs to pull up or descend further into madness

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We didn't read half a million words of Homestuck to pull up. That opportunity was lost 250k words and six years ago.

BobDoleTrasher
Nov 14, 2013

Generally hates cLutch
So I just noticed that terezi was there in act 7 but not on earth c in the epilogue? Did hussie huss it up?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BobDoleTrasher posted:

So I just noticed that terezi was there in act 7 but not on earth c in the epilogue? Did hussie huss it up?

Terezi was never on Earth C. She stayed at the black hole. She's there in the epilogue.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

Terezi was never on Earth C. She stayed at the black hole. She's there in the epilogue.

She was on Earth C. She can be seen there several times during the credits. At some point, she chose to return to the outer ring to search for Vriska. This is also seen during the credits.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I think you may be thinking of Aradia?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hiveswap Act 2 news coming down the pipe

quote:

We're delighted to announce that Fellow Traveller is our newest adventure buddy! Fellow Traveller is an indie publisher that focuses on surprising narrative games. You may remember them as the hosts of LudoNarraCon, the publisher of indie darling games Orwell and Hacknet, or their upcoming games Church in the Darkness and NeoCab.

First things first: What Pumpkin will continue to focus on all aspects of game development such as art, writing, music, and so very much more. Meanwhile, Fellow Traveller will be managing all of the business bits: think marketing, brand management, and production support.

We’ve done this so we can devote more of our time to the development of the game. So what does this mean for you? In short: we’re working hard to bring Act 2 to the world as soon as possible. With our new partner, it also means you'll be hearing from us a lot more: look forward to regular updates, newsletters, social media posts, and more exciting news in the coming weeks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Think marketing is hard. Here are my thinks, please buy them.

e: I actually loved Hiveswap Act 1, so this is great news. Anybody else meh on the Friendsims? I always get annoyed by branching games after the first couple of playthoughs, because at that point I just want to unlock the dialogue tree.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 30, 2019

life_source
May 11, 2008

Things are fine everyone! Ha Ha Ha! Things are going great! No need to worry! No worrying here! Just lots of hard work! Ha Ha Ha! Don't forget about us! Please buy our game! Ha Ha Ha!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

All the Friendsims are half-price (fifty cents) until August 5. At that price, sure, worth it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I certainly trust a company called "fellow traveler"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jen X posted:

I certainly trust a company called "fellow traveler"

Shrug. They seem to be the people who published the Friendsim installations, so at least they have a track record with Hussie.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

How do you do, Fellow Travellers

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the problem with Hiveswap is it doesnt have Tagora and Tyzias in it. someone let me pay them money for Troll Better Call Saul

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

paranoid randroid posted:

the problem with Hiveswap is it doesnt have Tagora and Tyzias in it. someone let me pay them money for Troll Better Call Saul

:hai:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Didn’t they say some arm of Viz was doing it? Why all the mass firings like, a year or two ago??

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Didn’t they say some arm of Viz was doing it? Why all the mass firings like, a year or two ago??

There was no official statement that Viz was taking over production, that was just the prevailing assumption based on the sequence of events; Viz made its acquisition public and began transplanting mspaintadventures.com to homestuck.com, and at exactly that time, what seemed like the entire Hiveswap team (save for one or two holdovers) was laid off. From that timing, it was reasonable to assume that Viz was intent on replacing them all with their own people, but there was never any official confirmation one way or another. My limited understanding of things as they are now is that just about everyone who was laid off was rehired on a casual/part-time basis. James Roach has said that he doesn't earn enough to make a living from WP, a sentiment corroborated by other active staff members. My guess is the whole thing was a case of internal restructuring to more efficiently manage resources.

Which kind of sucks, really, but such seems to be the nature of professional game development.

One thing that'll make some folks here happy is that Cohen and Shelby are NOT among the rehired staff.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*blows a slow cloud of smoke out noir-ishly*

Vriska is the natural foil to Dirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

paranoid randroid posted:

*blows a slow cloud of smoke out noir-ishly*

Vriska is the natural foil to Dirk

Not really, more like different names for the same thing.