Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VanSandman posted:

:justmake:

Honestly make a 'typical' Mario level with a gimmick you play around with, then tweak it. Remake 1-1 and learn something by placing things differently!
You don't need to make a crazy Kaizo level with lots of moving parts, just a fun one.

Don't remake 1-1. Not only is it creatively bankrupt, but it's explicitly against the terms of service and your level will get removed when they find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Don't remake 1-1. Not only is it creatively bankrupt, but it's explicitly against the terms of service and your level will get removed when they find it.

The original post was attempting to inspire someone they perceived as being afraid to make their first level by providing a potential source of ideas. They never even said to actually upload a 1-1! Why are you jumping on that with this negativity? Creatively bankrupt. Man.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there are hundreds of levels inspired by 1-1 lol. making it yourself and then remixing it is a solid way of learning more about the fundamentals of platformer design

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's an exact duplicate that will get you in trouble

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Yeah, making 1-1 is particularly great for learning because to recreate it you have to count the number of blocks, which is a great crash course in understanding how much space Mario needs to pick up speed for or slow down after a jump.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looper posted:

making it yourself and then remixing it is a solid way of learning more about the fundamentals of platformer design

Plagiarism is not a way to learn anything; any lessons on platform design are obtained from playing the level, not copying it brick by brick. Learning is best done through the act of creation and iteration. Trying something, changing it and seeing how that affects things. Take inspiration but always build your own.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It's an exact duplicate that will get you in trouble

This isn't true at all. Copying the layout will get your course removed even if you add things to it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's OK to make "easy" levels. I suck at sight-reading Mario and 5 lives in even the 2nd tier of endless isn't enough to get me more than 4-5 levels in. But easy is just the nicest, chillest time. You get some bad ones, of course, but for the most part it feels nice to see what other people think will be fun.

So the sweet spot for me is "endless mode tourism" and goon levels with infinite tries.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

Plagiarism is not a way to learn anything; any lessons on platform design are obtained from playing the level, not copying it brick by brick. Learning is best done through the act of creation and iteration. Trying something, changing it and seeing how that affects things. Take inspiration but always build your own.

This isn't true at all. Copying the layout will get your course removed even if you add things to it.

One of the most popular levels is the exact layout of 1-1 but with a series of springs that propel you automatically through. Is very funny and well done level.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Wendell posted:

Yup, still super tough but this time by design. The timing is extremely tight! But it’s clear what you’re meant to do. Although you are able to get surprisingly far at the start without a boat!

Thanks for playing it again. I briefly considered deliberately setting everything up so you could wall jump your way all the way to the end, but ultimately felt like it removed too much of the gimmick.

Re 1-1 chat: :justmake:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Drinkfist posted:

Thanks guys. I was seeing a lot of levels being created in endless that were not my style. Some of the community seem to think the objective of the game is to create a hard level that few can beat. They translate this into weird concepts like enemy spam, kaizo tech or obscure directions to goal. I just wanted to make levels that anyone can beat but would have some degree of challenge from and were fun.

I think this is a good philosophy which leads to fun levels. I like hard levels too, but I think the desire to create a level with a low clear rate leads people to use.

For my level, I'm actually annoyed that more people aren't clearing it. I think people are giving up on the first section for whatever reason, but when I watch streamers do it they seem to like it, so no idea if its a "death equals skip" scenario or if its just not fun and the streamers are blowing smoke up my rear end.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ryde posted:

I think this is a good philosophy which leads to fun levels. I like hard levels too, but I think the desire to create a level with a low clear rate leads people to use.

For my level, I'm actually annoyed that more people aren't clearing it. I think people are giving up on the first section for whatever reason, but when I watch streamers do it they seem to like it, so no idea if its a "death equals skip" scenario or if its just not fun and the streamers are blowing smoke up my rear end.

Streamers tend to skew towards kaizo stuff, so a pleasant romp for the average streamer may not necessarily be a pleasant romp for most players.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm envious of all you creative types. I have a concept that I think would be really cool but I have zero faith in my ability to execute on it.

I really enjoyed your levels though! You made some neat puzzles I wouldn't of thought of, especially in the Thwomp level.

Best way to work with an idea is to just load up the editor and play around with it. See what you can do.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I really enjoyed your levels though! You made some neat puzzles I wouldn't of thought of, especially in the Thwomp level.

Best way to work with an idea is to just load up the editor and play around with it. See what you can do.

Thanks! I would love if I had an eye for aesthetics as well, but I'm happy with putting out a few neat things.

I spent over an hour yesterday just exploring specific properties of various enemies, but I feel like it takes several days for the things I learn to actually gel into something useful.

It makes me crazy that I can only produce a level per week at best when some people are already butting against the caps. It kind of makes me think there should be a way to loan slots out to other makers since I will never reach 32 myself.

e: Is there a limit on warp pipes? I'm considering branching some paths and think I will run out of doors and warp blocks.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 17, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In terms of creativity mixed with excellent design and theming, the Metroid Mario, which I think is goon-made, is just absolutely perfect. It's the one where the clear condition is to have the spiny shell equipped.

The genius of it all is how the powerups are done; there are a few 'infinite sources' of them, but in order to unlock that source, you have to have gotten the power up legitimately first. It's the best way to mimic powering up in Metroid; once you have it, you have it.

For example, there's a pipe that spits out super mushrooms, and it's blocked off by two or three regular bricks across the floor of the spot it's in. Since you start out small, you have to go find the main super mushroom, come back, break those bricks, and then you've got an endless supply. Similarly, the infinite fire flowers are gated behind piranha plants (too many spaced out to damage boost through!), and the spiny shell is encased in regular ground blocks that are breakable with the spiny shell itself.

On top of all that, the level looks a lot like Zebes.

Well loving done. :golfclap:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Frigid Manor
C7S-XFN-T7G

My boyfriend made a level (with some light editing by me) and its pretty good! Its cool to have a level that feels like a ghost house on this account, because Im poo poo at making them myself

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

A heartwarming tale of two goon buddies, next to each other on the All Time Maker hi-score list! :3:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm thinking of making a Don't Jump level, anybody got any tips?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

We're finally here. Upload number 32 from me. I wanted to do something special for my final level before culling so I decided to make a hard level based around Grand Master Galaxy / 3D Lands finale level / Champions Road etc. Originally was going for 3D World but decided to put it in my childhoods favorite Mario game instead. It's the level I feel Nintendo would of made if they were doing these finales back then so I hope it scratches that itch.

It would make me super happy to see people clear it, let alone give thoughts on it as I spent a lot of time making it look as good as possible and play as tightly as I hoped. It's tough but it's a honest course. I hope whoever plays it has fun :shobon:

Dr Pepper posted:

Make it short and kinda easy. Most people will slam skip the second they fail if they have to redo a lot of gameplay like that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Lobster posted:

A heartwarming tale of two goon buddies, next to each other on the All Time Maker hi-score list! :3:

I never noticed you could actually select pages to see beyond the top 100. Looks like I'm currently at 133 which is pretty decent.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Dr Pepper posted:

The levels I've seen do this take two broad tactics. One is a more fast-paced "react to avoid the poo poo" level, usually built around dodging claw machines. Typically the focus is on dodging. The other is a "plan your route" style where its slower-paced and more about solving the puzzle. I think the latter works a lot better.

Ideally you give the player a chance to recover if they look like they will fail the condition. Try to minimize waiting too.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Dr Pepper posted:

Somebody made one on tracks using Lakitu cloud avoiding like saw blades and stuff, I saw it in Endless, it was pretty good!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Whatever goon did the cloudy snake one did quite well, challenging without going on too long.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ryde posted:

The levels I've seen do this take two broad tactics. One is a more fast-paced "react to avoid the poo poo" level, usually built around dodging claw machines. Typically the focus is on dodging. The other is a "plan your route" style where its slower-paced and more about solving the puzzle. I think the latter works a lot better.

Ideally you give the player a chance to recover if they look like they will fail the condition. Try to minimize waiting too.

Also needing to bounce on enemies can be fun, and can be done with a Cape or leaf more fairly, or especially in low g

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

We're finally here. Upload number 32 from me. I wanted to do something special for my final level before culling so I decided to make a hard level based around Grand Master Galaxy / 3D Lands finale level / Champions Road etc. Originally was going for 3D World but decided to put it in my childhoods favorite Mario game instead. It's the level I feel Nintendo would of made if they were doing these finales back then so I hope it scratches that itch.

It would make me super happy to see people clear it, let alone give thoughts on it as I spent a lot of time making it look as good as possible and play as tightly as I hoped. It's tough but it's a honest course. I hope whoever plays it has fun :shobon:

Ok, so I love this level, and also am raging at it.

Specifically, the oversized flying beetle part, holy fuuuuuck.

Full disclosure, I haven't finished it yet (many.. MANY deaths so far) but I 'liked' it already.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Elpato posted:

Storming Treasury Tower

The Koopas are keeping their stolen gold at the top of the tower. Steal it back, Mario!

Pay attention to side areas, because that's where all but one of the shortcuts/OP powerups are.

I'm reposting this one asking for some advice on how to do it better.

I tried to make the level feel alive by adding little side areas, optional challenges, and plenty of enemies, but I'm worried about it being too cluttered and busy. Any of you goons with smooth, pretty levels have advice?

Again, sorry for throwing it up twice, but I want to know whether it's Maker Insecurity or really a problem.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so I love this level, and also am raging at it.

Specifically, the oversized flying beetle part, holy fuuuuuck.

Full disclosure, I haven't finished it yet (many.. MANY deaths so far) but I 'liked' it already.

If it helps there's only 3 of the em, but you can do it! I believe in you!!!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Elpato posted:

I'm reposting this one asking for some advice on how to do it better.

I tried to make the level feel alive by adding little side areas, optional challenges, and plenty of enemies, but I'm worried about it being too cluttered and busy. Any of you goons with smooth, pretty levels have advice?

Again, sorry for throwing it up twice, but I want to know whether it's Maker Insecurity or really a problem.

I liked it but it's a bit of a weird one. It's kind of an interesting design in that I'm not sure if I was playing the level as intended or if I was sequence breaking, but if you were going for open-ended I think you succeeded. There were two moments that were a bit rough, one being if you head left after accessing the sub area and go toward the yellow pipe a goomba can unexpectly drop on your head. There's also one part where there were a bunch of enemies and a magikoopa in sort of a box where you were meant to ground pound through some bricks to get to a pipe. That may be a potential softlock opportunity for small Mario as Magikoopa had transformed the box that would have served as a platform to get out.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

J-Spot posted:

I liked it but it's a bit of a weird one. It's kind of an interesting design in that I'm not sure if I was playing the level as intended or if I was sequence breaking, but if you were going for open-ended I think you succeeded. There were two moments that were a bit rough, one being if you head left after accessing the sub area and go toward the yellow pipe a goomba can unexpectly drop on your head. There's also one part where there were a bunch of enemies and a magikoopa in sort of a box where you were meant to ground pound through some bricks to get to a pipe. That may be a potential softlock opportunity for small Mario as Magikoopa had transformed the box that would have served as a platform to get out.

Yes, it was supposed to be pretty open about how to go about scaling to the top with lots of moments that felt like you were getting away with something you should not.

I did NOT know about the soft block though. I didn't know magikoopas could transform my blocks.

Thank you for the feedback.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Elpato posted:

I did NOT know about the soft block though. I didn't know magikoopas could transform my blocks.

just don't let them near the flagpole

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I went back and watched some of the Summer GDQ mario-based streams, and I can't believe how into some of the kaizo videos I got. Makes me want to be that good at mario. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0HnqnYMO8

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

zfleeman posted:

I went back and watched some of the Summer GDQ mario-based streams, and I can't believe how into some of the kaizo videos I got. Makes me want to be that good at mario. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0HnqnYMO8

They can definitely be fun to watch but I could never have the patience to play them even if I were better at Mario than I am. Some of the courses posted here are too much for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd like to be good at Mario but I have zero desire to do Kaizo stuff well.

I'm far more interested in being good enough at the game to, say, beat a very difficult level on the first try. Not slam my face against one course for hours until all the perfect inputs I need to make have become muscle memory.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to be good at Mario but I have zero desire to do Kaizo stuff well.

I'm far more interested in being good enough at the game to, say, beat a very difficult level on the first try. Not slam my face against one course for hours until all the perfect inputs I need to make have become muscle memory.

I agree. I'd like to be good enough to play Endless Expert reliably, but I don't feel like playing Kaizo levels in the slightest. I just don't seem to have the hand-eye coordination to do it, though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Lobster posted:

I agree. I'd like to be good enough to play Endless Expert reliably, but I don't feel like playing Kaizo levels in the slightest. I just don't seem to have the hand-eye coordination to do it, though.

Endless Expert doesn't have much, if any Kaizo. That kind of nonsense is banished to Super Expert for the most part, although you do occasionally see one slip in. Unless you're referring to levels that are hard and precise, but that's something completely different.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Unfortunately I didn't know about how the Uploaded flag worked, so I spent time fixing Boom Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill and made it a much better level that I'll now never be able to upload.

But I did decide to give the 3D World style and tried making just a straight forward, but challenging traditional Mario level and came up with 3D World Spelunking F3M-1D8-JSF

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Q_res posted:

Unfortunately I didn't know about how the Uploaded flag worked, so I spent time fixing Boom Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill and made it a much better level that I'll now never be able to upload.

You just need to take the old one down first if you're willing to lose the likes and plays you've accumulated.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly I think the biggest part of getting "good" at Endless mode is just being able to identify what levels should be skipped before your lose a life (or several).

You could throw 100 difficult Mario levels at a veteran player and they could reasonably clear all of em first try. You throw 100 difficult Mario Maker levels at the same player and I bet they struggle with many of em. Playing Mario Maker endless doesn't just require you to understand how to play Mario, you have to understand course design. Specifically, being able to identify bad course design. Which sounds easy but think how often you end up blowing through tons of lives on some mediocre course instead of just skipping it right away.

Its a weird skill that I don't think I've ever seen a game require before. Endless mode is pretty unique in that regard.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly I think the biggest part of getting "good" at Endless mode is just being able to identify what levels should be skipped before your lose a life (or several).

You could throw 100 difficult Mario levels at a veteran player and they could reasonably clear all of em first try. You throw 100 difficult Mario Maker levels at the same player and I bet they struggle with many of em. Playing Mario Maker endless doesn't just require you to understand how to play Mario, you have to understand course design. Specifically, being able to identify bad course design. Which sounds easy but think how often you end up blowing through tons of lives on some mediocre course instead of just skipping it right away.

Its a weird skill that I don't think I've ever seen a game require before. Endless mode is pretty unique in that regard.

To this point, if I'm playing endless and I don't see coins I make a bet that the creator hasn't included 1-ups either and skip it.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

ryde posted:

They did some poorly organized Streamer tournament where the objective was to get as many clears in an endless run than your opponent in 20 minutes. They did Easy for round 1 and kept ramping it up as it went on. The whole thing ended up being completely luck based and everyone skipping every level that didn't have a sub 45 second world record on it in the pause menu. Then there is Streamers that are doing Endless Expert and Endless Super Expert runs where to get the high score the objective is to literally skip everything that appears to have any degree of challenge. Which mostly results in them sticking to garbage levels and accidentally strolling into troll levels. Endless is never going to get you plays until they just remove infinite skips. From what I can tell you literally have to market your level on streams and forums for it to start any kind of traction so it starts showing up in lists online.

What we really need is some more tags and game modes. Bring back 100 Man and add a no skip bracket to both. Add a new difficulty to Endless and 100 Man to be "No Clear" which is a literal mystery difficulty for levels that have no clears. Triple the list of level tags so you can search for specific type of levels.

But it's nintendo so they will see this massive pile of things people want then walk into the next room and ban GrandPooBear's poo poo again. Then Nintendo comes back out and just smile at us and literally say nothing to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

The most nefarious ones are pretty easy until right after the second checkpoint. Then you feel like you're just on the verge of winning and don't want to skip.