Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

Not this article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

That is an article version of the video I watched, good find!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I don’t recall a video. But there was a blog post where somebody hooked RenderDoc up to it and went super in depth about what it takes to render a single frame. IIRC they had also done it for PC GTA 5.

Here it is

edit: gently caress; beaten

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That is a super cool article.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There is also the Game Engine Black Books by Fabien Sanglard. A bunch of real cool poo poo on that site including original Doom code review with some videos showing how a view is rendered etc.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Discouraging wannabe game devs is probably mostly good and the people that really care will power through, but making a game today is nothing like making Doom.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

taqueso posted:

Discouraging wannabe game devs is probably mostly good and the people that really care will power through, but making a game today is nothing like making Doom.

It's talkin about doom 2016 not doom 1993

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
The Doom rendering article is pretty much a survey of a modern Forward+ rendering pipeline - if you load up Unreal in Forward mode it does mostly the same stuff apart from the megatexture step and hacky SSR. Then again I do a lot of work with rendering in Unreal for my job so I’m super jaded to how ridiculously convoluted game engines are nowadays.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I saw a video that was the same thing but for GTA V. It was really impressive to see all of the tricks they did to get that game to do what it does on such a wide range of hardware.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Goreld posted:

The Doom rendering article is pretty much a survey of a modern Forward+ rendering pipeline - if you load up Unreal in Forward mode it does mostly the same stuff apart from the megatexture step and hacky SSR. Then again I do a lot of work with rendering in Unreal for my job so I’m super jaded to how ridiculously convoluted game engines are nowadays.

Yeah, Unity's frame debugger honestly helped me visualize the forward path a lot. I encourage everyone to goof around with it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

I saw a video that was the same thing but for GTA V. It was really impressive to see all of the tricks they did to get that game to do what it does on such a wide range of hardware.

Yeah, dude did an article breaking down a frame of GTA V too.

I’m assuming somebody (hopefully the OP) used these articles as a basis for the videos.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is this one of you guys trolling the Unity board?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/add-properties-to-a-gameobject.714551/

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

c0burn posted:

Hello friends

Because I'm a masochist, I'd like to program a DOS game, directly on the VGA hardware, either mode 13 or mode-X
I know C and C++ very well, but I've only ever learnt their standard libraries and and modern libraries like SDL and SFML and never did things on the "metal" like bios interrupts, dos.h and mem.h from the cool old days of DOS programming
I have access to a real DOS PC with 6.22 and Windows 3.1, also DOSBox, various Borland and MS compilers from the late 80's and early 90's - what's the best original compiler?
I looked into DJGPP but I probably want real mode not protected mode?

Hello fellow masochist, I know that I am too late to answer you but I am doing the same thing right now and I set up cross compiling through open watcom from windows to dos and on top of it I am improperly using Cmake. So that I can use visual studio as an Ide (friday I managed to use Google Tests as a test suite)

https://github.com/limacat76/learn-cmake-openwatcom

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Its like if fishmech was the world's least competent game developer.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Yeah, Unity's frame debugger honestly helped me visualize the forward path a lot. I encourage everyone to goof around with it

I both love and hate that thing. It's great when it works for quickly checking if things are working as you'd expect them to, but it also seems to break in random ways for no discernible reasons when dealing with more complex cases. I think part of this is that they have to redraw the frame up to whatever call you're looking at, so if you've got shaders that keep state from frame to frame they tend to not always like that. What I really can't figure out is why it'll sometime show me my render targets just fine, and other times it'll just refuse to.

Also just upgraded to 2019.2 for a project at work and now unity's managed linker explodes with an internal error when trying to link one of the dlls that worked just fine in previous versions lol.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Wolfsbane posted:

Its like if fishmech was the world's least competent game developer.

I hate to bag on anyone for straining against Unity's structure, but I only know how to get what I want out of it by building abstractions on top of it, rather than trying to tear things up by the roots to redo myself

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm not sure what my problem was but every time I tried to do anything in Unity I felt like I was fighting against it, and every time I wanted to implement something it felt heavy handed ridiculous and prone to bugs. I switched to Godot and rebuilt my game from scratch in a couple of days.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I had a similar experience switching from Unity to UE4, but I think a lot of it can be attributed to already having figured out how my own stuff worked the first time around. Certainly at the time Unity's collision and networking sucked, while UE4s were much better, but I would still caution that it could easily be a grass is greener sort of situation. I definitely struggled with some things with both engines even if it took much less time to get back to where I was after I switched.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm not sure what my problem was but every time I tried to do anything in Unity I felt like I was fighting against it, and every time I wanted to implement something it felt heavy handed ridiculous and prone to bugs. I switched to Godot and rebuilt my game from scratch in a couple of days.
That was my feeling too, but then Godot went "hey a new version that doesn't work with old things and doesn't help you convert" so I just gave up on engines.
(Unity *also* did that, mind, and more than once, so this isn't a relative knock against Godot.)

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

roomforthetuna posted:

That was my feeling too, but then Godot went "hey a new version that doesn't work with old things and doesn't help you convert" so I just gave up on engines.
(Unity *also* did that, mind, and more than once, so this isn't a relative knock against Godot.)

A game engine isn't like a browser where you keep it updated all the time, you find a version that has the stuff you need and lock it down. UE4 so far has been the only significant exception but that's mostly because most major changes have been additive so far rather than things that would require changing a massive chunk of underlying functionality (like Unity's scriptable renderer).

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Falcorum posted:

A game engine isn't like a browser where you keep it updated all the time, you find a version that has the stuff you need and lock it down.

Well, I understand this, and you understand this, but I really wish Unity understood this.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I think I got lucky about my timing with Godot too because there was more or less a feature lockdown on the engine side around when I started. There's a couple of changes coming up that I'm really looking forward to like finally having integer based vectors. But for the most part development seems focused on the new rendering engine.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 13, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

The Phaser Patreon has a post labeled "Phaser 4 Announcement" which I want to assume is a joke or perhaps a shift to 3D.

Either way it's a little incongruent for an open source project to lock information behind a paywall.

Maybe I should finish a game.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Doc Block posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I needed. Thank you!

:hellyeah:

And this is my version for DOS (mode 13)

https://i.imgur.com/H3s6knS.gifv

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Whybird posted:

Well, I understand this, and you understand this, but I really wish Unity understood this.

Use the long-term-support versions. No API changes or new features, just bugfixes.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Use the long-term-support versions. No API changes or new features, just bugfixes.

And even when using the LTS versions look at the changelogs and only upgrade if you see a bug fixed that you want fixed otherwise stick with your current version from start of dev until release. Unity versions change and break stuff all over even on minor version changes.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, this caused me a problem when the older version of Unity I was using for a project simply refused to function on the latest version of OSX.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, this caused me a problem when the older version of Unity I was using for a project simply refused to function on the latest version of OSX.

That's Apple's fault, not Unity's, IMO. Apple has no shame whatsoever about breaking everyone with their OS updates.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Falcorum posted:

A game engine isn't like a browser where you keep it updated all the time, you find a version that has the stuff you need and lock it down. UE4 so far has been the only significant exception but that's mostly because most major changes have been additive so far rather than things that would require changing a massive chunk of underlying functionality (like Unity's scriptable renderer).
Sure, that would be okay if the updates were the only problem, but the other thing about making a new version of an existing engine is that any time you ask Stackoverflow-or-equivalent, or even search the documentation for how to do a thing, now there are five different answers, none of them are for the version you're using. and approximately the only way to find that out is to try all of them. Each major change comes with making the engine harder to use even if the new version is easier to use.

Edit: and also if you use an old version and ask how to do a thing, the answer will always be "oh that's easy with the new version, you should upgrade."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

roomforthetuna posted:

Edit: and also if you use an old version and ask how to do a thing, the answer will always be "oh that's easy with the new version, you should upgrade."

Even worse if the answer is "Well, that used to be easy...."

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Falcorum posted:

That's mostly because UE4 is 5 years old, we're still in the hardware generation it was released for, and it's treated as not in the same continuity as the other 3 major engine versions that all went through major compatibility breaks. It hasn't really hit the point of needing to do huge sweeping changes to clean up legacy decisions yet. Hardware ray tracing is so far the biggest external strain that's been put on it so far.

Unity is 14 years old and it's surprising how much stuff it's even kept. I've seen a few people wanting to make a game with an early-2000's retro look, which basically means vertex lighting, gamma-space shading, non-PBR materials, etc. etc., I've been recommending Unity because it actually still has all of that stuff (or did when I last checked at least), whereas UE4 already ripped all of that stuff out. It's also trying to deal with a big re-scoping of its target market by trying to get more into the AAA space, and dealing with the fallout of some very old decisions that are tough to dislodge ("oh crap, GC pauses are actually really bad.")

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Unreal 4.23 graphics cleanup had some pretty major sweeping changes across the projects my friends work with. Cascade broke pretty heavily in a few of the point releases and the answer from Epic is "stop using Cascade lol" (they eventually fixed it).

Even if you lock down a version, the artists will read the release notes and go "ooh, we want that!!!" and now you have to do merge-and-deploy every few months.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I added a pdb to the game and it still doesn't loving generate a proper callstack.

https://pastebin.com/F66A5z3g

It doesn't look in the pdb that is looking in the same folder as the executable?? Why? It works locally, but then when I upload to steam, it no longer works from there.

I'm starting to not even want to support Windows 7. gently caress your crusty rear end crashing operating system.

e: for some reason it is fine now if I just rebuild and reuploaded everything.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 15, 2019

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Windows 7 support ends next January. Don't bother supporting it if it's a major hassle.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
There's still ~20% of people using Win7 64 bit according to the Steam hardware survey though. Probably will still be a pretty big chunk by next January.

Also what the gently caress there's a 32 bit version of Windows 10?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Windows stripped back down to basics without backwards compatibility (only 64 bit), does that just keep getting delayed? After ditching their 64 bit browser, it seems like things are going backwards.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I recently wrote up a game design document for an idea I recently thought up. In summary, it is a platform for tabletop role-playing games but though the medium of VR where you can switch between perspectives of avatars sitting around a virtual tabletop with your map, figures, dice, etc. and within the game world of the RPG you are playing as your characters. Please read through my document and give me your opinions, advice, and suggestions.

Get into Character GDD (Google Doc comments should be enabled)

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Sounds like tabletop simulator but with the complexity multiplied by 10. On top of designing campaigns, the DM also needs to implement everything in code, objects, etc? That takes some serious buy-in.

The main question that comes up in my mind is "Why?"
If I'm going to RPG a barbarian just put me in the barbarian all the time. I don't want to be the dude rolling dice ever. Having two modes is complicated to implement and adds friction for users. But I understand you are trying to capture that tabletop experience. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about that demographic but isn't one main appeal of tabletop RPGs that you can get creative and do stuff without coding every edge case?

I have a design document I've been sitting on for at least a year. I'd like to get feedback on it as well.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 19, 2019

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I've been watching a lot of youtubers that build models to play tabletop games with. Houses, landscapes, all sorts. They invest hours into this hobby, not only writing game scenarios for their friends to play but also crafting miniatures to play them with. Therefore I believe there's probably a market for this. Don't ask me how hard it would be to implement an entire online dungeon master vr experience but if you pulled it off and sold it for reasonable enough a price I bet you'd sell it.

People might use it as a hangout simulator as well, I'm surprised there isn't something like this already. It might be one of those things a lot of people have tried to build but nobody has managed to complete after they discovered how hard it is to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

I've been watching a lot of youtubers that build models to play tabletop games with. Houses, landscapes, all sorts. They invest hours into this hobby, not only writing game scenarios for their friends to play but also crafting miniatures to play them with. Therefore I believe there's probably a market for this. Don't ask me how hard it would be to implement an entire online dungeon master vr experience but if you pulled it off and sold it for reasonable enough a price I bet you'd sell it.

People might use it as a hangout simulator as well, I'm surprised there isn't something like this already. It might be one of those things a lot of people have tried to build but nobody has managed to complete after they discovered how hard it is to do.

Thanks. Your recognition is encouraging. I would try to work on some sort of prototype for it, but that venture seems well beyond my personal ability partially due to that I don't have the VR equipment to test it with as the only hardware I have is a PSVR I recently got as well as that I lack the space for something like HTC Vive. I tried sending the GDD to my old Game Design professor but haven't gotten a reply yet. Though he is retired, and I'm not sure if he still uses the same e-mail and if not which one would be viable. I'm hoping to share the document with some companies that might get some interest in my idea but wanted some advice before sending it to anywhere professional. If there's some general advice regarding writing professional GDDs, that would also be helpful as I simply found a template online and pretty much wrote mine up in a day. I doubt I can add much more of what I have in mind without better understanding what would be possible in the medium I intend to make it in.