Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ak Gara posted:

My next system is going full water loop with cpu + gpu and I can't decide if I should get rid of my 1080 Ti and get a 2080 with waterblock or if I should risk damaging my 1080 Ti by getting and installing a waterblock myself.

I guess it depends on how big Ray Tracing is going to become vs how easy it is to install a gpu waterblock

I wouldn't consider replacing a 1080 ti for a 2080 unless you were truly turgid for ray tracing. A 2080 ti is a worthwhile upgrade in all respects, a 2080 isn't - it's too sidegrade-y. I know the pricing on 2080 ti is crazy, though

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ak Gara posted:

My next system is going full water loop with cpu + gpu and I can't decide if I should get rid of my 1080 Ti and get a 2080 with waterblock or if I should risk damaging my 1080 Ti by getting and installing a waterblock myself.

I guess it depends on how big Ray Tracing is going to become vs how easy it is to install a gpu waterblock

The biggest area for error with installing a gpu block is ensuring that you bought one that fits your card. Actually installing it is pretty simple.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lambert posted:

I assumed "overheated" to not mean "met its designed cooling capacity and thus lowered clocks a bit, so works as expected" but some kind of involuntary shutdown-type situation.

Yes. It's an issue with the 5700 xt where it's not throttling to prevent that. If you look at GamersNexus's review they encountered the same issue, though it doesn't appear to be super widespread.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Lambert posted:

If his card is overheating with a blower, an open cooler will be even worse off.

Press (X) for doubt, I can almost guarantee an open air cooler will perform better than a blower cooler in all but the most extreme case conditions. It’s one of the reasons AMD was lambasted for sticking with a lovely blower cooler again. The Accelero iii keeps my core temps around 60C and hotshot at 75C at stock settings on a 5700 XT.

Do you really think partner cards with open open air coolers will be worse than the stock cooler?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

B-Mac posted:

Press (X) for doubt, I can almost guarantee an open air cooler will perform better than a blower cooler in all but the most extreme case conditions. It’s one of the reasons AMD was lambasted for sticking with a lovely blower cooler again. The Accelero iii keeps my core temps around 60C and hotshot at 75C at stock settings on a 5700 XT.

Do you really think partner cards with open open air coolers will be worse than the stock cooler?

Of course open air coolers will perform much better. But blower coolers tend to be better suited to bad airflow situations/cases.

ItBreathes posted:

Yes. It's an issue with the 5700 xt where it's not throttling to prevent that. If you look at GamersNexus's review they encountered the same issue, though it doesn't appear to be super widespread.

Interesting. Probably best to exchange the card then?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Banano posted:

I don’t know much about KFA but this seems super cheap for any UK folks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KFA2-28NSL...962026617&psc=1

same vendor has an MSI 2080 for £428 as well, seems like decent value?

quote:

-Product for demanding players
-Irreproachable manufacturing quality
-Exceptional immersion

Hell yeah dude, shout out irreproachability

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ak Gara posted:

Unless the cost of a waterblocked 2080 is somehow less than the cost of adding a block to your 1080Ti, I'd go with the add-on. It's fairly trivial to install them, honestly.

Ray tracing will be huge...in 2-3 years. Not so much right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Banano posted:

Now it's £886.49, their algorithmic pricing might need some work :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, if you have a 1080TI, just keep it. If you absolutely must have more performance, cough up the money for a 2080ti, its the only thing that isnt a sidegrade from a 1080ti.

If you really want raytracing, wait till the 3xxx series.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, can I take an opportunity in this thread to say how awesome the Riva 128 was? Loved that card, texture gaps and all, lasted me all the way to the GeForce 256, which introduced T&L and was also awesome

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Banano posted:

KFA2 = Galax/Galaxy. More a gimmick board partner than anything else.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Here's a fun one, what is the loudest video cards you guys have ever owned?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Radeon 4070x2 by a long shot. Also the hottest (again, by a long shot). Also the shortest time I ever owned a card before returning it. I had it in a giant ATX case with sound dampening foam lining the thing and it nevertheless was very loud.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Weird, it’s a different vendor listed now too. I was going to wait for the 2080S but a 2080 for £300 was p. tempting I must say

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Agreed posted:

Radeon 4070x2 by a long shot. Also the hottest (again, by a long shot). Also the shortest time I ever owned a card before returning it. I had it in a giant ATX case with sound dampening foam lining the thing and it nevertheless was very loud.

Same, the 4870x2 blower was a piece of poo poo. Thankfully Arctic made a nice aftermarket cooler for it.

The 4870x2 still pales in comparison to the reference R9 290 though, that was similarly noisy on the :airquote: quiet :airquote: BIOS and 10db louder on the Uber BIOS :lol:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

buglord posted:

I've had a blower 2900XT and a blower 4890.. The 2900XT was a monstrous die, so maybe that, but it's honestly hard to remember exactly how loud they were.
I wonder if I have them lying around somewhere.. If I do, they're at my parents' place which is a flight away..

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

buglord posted:

I had dual 680 blower cards in SLI. It was great. It really made me appreciate silence and products like Noctua and MSI Gaming gpu's

Apparently the AMD R9-290X ran kinda loud?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YJsMaT_AE

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Apparently the AMD R9-290X ran kinda loud?

kinda loud, yeah

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

buglord posted:

Probably the 8800GTS 640 I owned that had a crap blower cooler on it, it was the first gen before the G92 die shrink so it ran hot as balls. Even tried a repaste but it only dropped temps maybe 3-4 degrees at most.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I had an ATI x1950 Pro that made an absolute racket back in ~2007, but i think my crappy case airflow didn't help the blower stay quiet.

Banano posted:

Weird, it’s a different vendor listed now too. I was going to wait for the 2080S but a 2080 for £300 was p. tempting I must say
I wouldn't put too much stock in unbelieveable GPU prices on amazon, they're usually part of a fraud thing where someone receives a bunch of money for stuff they have no intention of actually selling, then closes their (opened with fake info) bank account and bails before amazon can cancel the sale, making them eat the cost. I saw something similar with magical £300 2070s and 1080tis a month or two ago.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 17, 2019

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

buglord posted:

I didn't own it but I remember building a system for a guy that had the GeForce FX 5800.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Amazon has tons of fake cards, at least in USA. They also have a really friendly return policy... At least in USA

I assume if anything , Europe has even more consumer protection 🤷

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Wallrod posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock in unbelieveable GPU prices on amazon, they're usually part of a fraud thing where someone receives a bunch of money for stuff they have no intention of actually selling, then closes their (opened with fake info) bank account and bails before amazon can cancel the sale, making them eat the cost. I saw something similar with magical £300 2070s and 1080tis a month or two ago.

That seems the most plausible explanation. If I’d ordered it and it didn’t show up or was a low end Radeon or something there’d be no issue whatsoever getting my money back from amazon. Makes sense that the original vendor was called Mirage products :v:

Banano fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 17, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like the scalpers got their cards and have put them for sale on newegg.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I believe the Nvidia 5000 series Ultra was the loudest blower on a card. Even my 4870X2 blower wasn't as loud as some other cards I have heard. (though it was still loud)

Loudest cooler ever though was the little low profile blower thing I used to replace the water cooler I had on my 478 P4 3.0ghz. Since the stock bits for the stock fan on the motherboard were gone, I had to get one that would just pop in and it was the only fan I could find that had it on Newegg at the time.

It keeps the CPU cool enough, but holy hell when it spins up it sounds like a jet turbine. Louder Whine than even some server fans.

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around
How is the Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC? Looks nice, 3 fans, 4 year warranty, is actually in stock for $529.99 at Microcenter.

The cooler on the 2070s seems mostly the same as the 2080 version, should it perform about the same? The 2080 version seemed solid when I looked at reviews.

I'm looking for something quite and cool in a Meshify C. I have 3700x and 1440p, 144hz monitor.

I'm worried about if Gigabyte has good cards, if their chips are garbage binned, and if their customer service isn't horrid.

It's actually the last piece of my build, and I'm very excited.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

EdEddnEddy posted:

I believe the Nvidia 5000 series Ultra was the loudest blower on a card. Even my 4870X2 blower wasn't as loud as some other cards I have heard. (though it was still loud)

Nvidia even made a video joking about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVjZqC1AE4

Loudest cooler I ever had? Toss up between the 80MM @ 6000 RPM delta fan (~78 CFM), or the 120MM @ 4000 RPM delta fan (~190 CFM) I had on a server in the basement like 20 years ago.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Eurekapile posted:

How is the Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC? Looks nice, 3 fans, 4 year warranty, is actually in stock for $529.99 at Microcenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QDqNJYBX2U

Based on this review I ordered one, but it will take some time until it ships unfortunately. The price is hard to beat (and some vendors have started to mark it up already to 549 over here.

The MSI Gaming Trio X has slightly higher clocks, but I doubt that it will be worth the additional ~90 Euros I'd have to pay for it (also, the Trio X is massive (328 mm).

Acoustics also seem pretty good on the Gigabyte.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mcbexx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QDqNJYBX2U

Based on this review I ordered one, but it will take some time until it ships unfortunately. The price is hard to beat (and some vendors have started to mark it up already to 549 over here.

The MSI Gaming Trio X has slightly higher clocks, but I doubt that it will be worth the additional ~90 Euros I'd have to pay for it (also, the Trio X is massive (328 mm).

Acoustics also seem pretty good on the Gigabyte.

Gigabyte's always seemed to have good acoustics. I had their Windforce 670 and that thing was silent.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Loudest cooler I ever had? Toss up between the 80MM @ 6000 RPM delta fan (~78 CFM), or the 120MM @ 4000 RPM delta fan (~190 CFM) I had on a server in the basement like 20 years ago.

You just reminded me of when I tried to put a Vantec tornado that I got for free in my desktop. Even 7-volt modded it was unbearable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I don't have the same kind of gut reaction to Gigabyte that I did in the early 2010s because it seems nVidia has been very serious about getting the quality up among all partners to a baseline of acceptable durability and relatively uniform performance. And I have seen some models that did have good looking features. Reading owners' reports online suggests expected, competitive w/ other major players overclocking results. I prefer EVGA for their service, warranty, etc. (MSI is just as good in a lot of ways I think), and I don't know how Gigabyte compares there these days. But I would not say they are bad cards or anything like that.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Eurekapile posted:

The cooler on the 2070s seems mostly the same as the 2080 version, should it perform about the same? The 2080 version seemed solid when I looked at reviews.

I'm looking for something quite and cool in a Meshify C. I have 3700x and 1440p, 144hz monitor.

I'm worried about if Gigabyte has good cards, if their chips are garbage binned, and if their customer service isn't horrid.

It's actually the last piece of my build, and I'm very excited.

Can’t speak specifically to it but I have a 1070 from gigabyte - three fan ‘wyndforce’ thing and it stayed pretty around 65c at load and overclocked a little bit more than stock. I imagine the triple fan setup is basically the same. Not a bad card at all and is in a hand me down system going to my BIL in a week.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just found this german promo from Gigabyte, but maybe they have set up similar deals for other countries as well.

In addition to the Wolfenstein: Youngblood / Control game bundle you can get €20 (for 2070S) or €30 (2080S) worth of Steam credit if you mail in a copy of your invoice and a screenshot of your e-shop review of the product.

Qualifying vendors are Alternate, Amazon, Caseking, Computer Universe, Cyberport, Mediamarkt, Mindfactory, Notebooksbilliger, Steg (CH).
Purchase needs to be made between July 15th - August 11th (invoice or order confirmation if the card ships after 08/11). Promo runs until 8/25.

https://promotion.gigabyte.de/AORUS-Promotion-GF20SUPER

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 18, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Agreed posted:

I don't have the same kind of gut reaction to Gigabyte that I did in the early 2010s because it seems nVidia has been very serious about getting the quality up among all partners to a baseline of acceptable durability and relatively uniform performance. And I have seen some models that did have good looking features. Reading owners' reports online suggests expected, competitive w/ other major players overclocking results. I prefer EVGA for their service, warranty, etc. (MSI is just as good in a lot of ways I think), and I don't know how Gigabyte compares there these days. But I would not say they are bad cards or anything like that.

iirc, at least on USA SKUs, gigabyte gpu has either 3 or 5 year transferable warranty, which is Good

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gigabyte on the motherboard front have gone from "revision 1.x halves the vrm silently" to now making the highest component quality boards from the lower midrange up.

I'm very impressed by my Aorus xtreme, rock solid at 5.1 core/4.9 uncore with a 0 avx offset and 4133c16 4x8gb ram. It massively outperforms the spec of my binned 9900k, doing this at 1.32v and sensible vccsa/vccio.

Bios is definitely less featured than Asus though.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Probably the 8800GTS 640 I owned that had a crap blower cooler on it, it was the first gen before the G92 die shrink so it ran hot as balls. Even tried a repaste but it only dropped temps maybe 3-4 degrees at most.

Oh man I had one of those. My reference blower Vega 56 is like a whisper in comparison. (Although I have a way better case than I did then, too.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Preliminary reports on the 2080S is that it's not that much faster than the 2080.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-N...0.427795.0.html

Not exactly comprehensive, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 18, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't that what everyone was expecting?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Yeah, how much faster than a 2080 can you get without harming the 2080ti sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Deuce posted:

Yeah, how much faster than a 2080 can you get without harming the 2080ti sales?

I imagine the 2080 Ti crowd is pretty solidly the Titan crowd, so probably 20-30%.

But yes, it is what everyone was expecting.