Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

First result on Googling Man of Medan gave me "seven sequels planned," and... well, I've made my opinion on that kind of thing clear before. 30 bucks for four hours isn't much above an equivalent amount of cinema tickets and 28 hours of game would normally be plenty by any measure, but at 7 * 30 = 310 dollars? At least I'm assuming you'll be paying that much every time and that there will ultimately be some kind of connected storyline that requires it.

And you just know know that some people will want the "full experience" and throw out hundreds of dollars on a series that probably would've been published all at once a few years ago, and for a fraction of the price.

The whole point of the games is that you can replay them to change the events and this one has multiplayer so your friends can influence events beyond you. I guess if you're a one-and-done kind of person it wouldn't hold as much value but I always felt comparing time to money is a bad metric anyway considering it's more "economical" to wait for a movie to hit dvd than watch it in any theater.

That said the game wouldn't have been published at all a few years ago. It was their success on Until Dawn that inspired them to break away from Sony into other avenues and even Until Dawn had a rocky build up when it was obviously a PS Move game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I do remember the general consensus itt was "Until Dawn is a poo poo game and shouldn't be played" right up until release when it became a good game that was a lot of fun

RE2 remake has only one story with no b plots at all

RE7 was a lovely outlast clone with no combat

Evil Within has a ghost that chases you constantly through the entire game and kills you if it touches you

Basically at this point I would trust Game Informer preview information over the Horror Games Megathread

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hey now, we were right about Remothered at least right?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A large part of it is that people are terrible at advertising horror games.

Until Dawn legitimately had a rough development cycle, starting as a Move exclusive on PS3, going dark when PS4 came out, then a year before release they actually secured the actors for motion capture and the game practically transformed overnight. Seriously, watch those early trailers then tell me if you even remotely think Until Dawn would've worked in its original format.

RE7 I mentioned before that practically no information about the game was solidified until the second demo, probably because the game was born from a heavy investment in VR and Capcom didn't know the direction they wanted to take it until the last minute. It didn't help that the Outlast 2 demo was released almost concurrently with RE7's original demo which featured a camera crew walking through a spooky house.

Every level in Evil Within is different so when the only gameplay footage you show off is from a level deep in the game that features a killer ghost stalking you (and then you stress that he's the villain) you can understand where people get these ideas from.

No other genre of video game is as opaque and ever changing as horror games, at least not publicly. If this thread were here 10 years ago you could add "Alan Wake was supposed to be an open world game" to your list of grievances because even though Remedy scrapped that early in development they still talked about Alan Wake like there was a big exploration element to it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I saw the same RE7 stuff you did and at no point did I ever think it would remove combat because it's a Resident Evil game and there hasn't even been a spinoff that didn't have combat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

I saw the same RE7 stuff you did and at no point did I ever think it would remove combat because it's a Resident Evil game and there hasn't even been a spinoff that didn't have combat.

Up until Shattered Memories there hasn't been a Silent Hill game without combat (unless you count the Japanese only VN) so I don't know what precedent that sets. In its nearly 25 years Resident Evil has been fixed camera 3rd person, first person, on rails, an RPG, an online only shooter, a squad based shooter, an arcade time attack, and probably others I'm forgetting. You may not have been fooled, great, It doesn't change the fact that RE7's marketing was opaque up until literally 4 months prior to release.

Prey was another terribly marketed game. Bethesda didn't officially announce that what was Prey 2 was canceled until like a year after Arkane picked it up and then were largely silent about the game would actually be until half a year prior to release.

Compare all that to the beauty of Alien: Isolation, a game where the developers were very up front day 1 "you can fight the alien, you can't kill the alien."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Counterpoint: even after Capcom openly said "guys what are you on it has combat" this thread still was convinced there was no combat and it was a poo poo Outlast clone.

Like it's okay you saw a few trailers and decided that RE7 wasn't an RE game but Capcom absolutely told you that it was a real RE and had combat.

My point is this thread of all threads doesn't have a great track record and the marketing of their new game is already telling you what it is so I'm not sure why people are going against that when you don't any other time.

Len fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 16, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Len posted:

it was a poo poo Outlast clone.

Department of redundancy department

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

Counterpoint: even after Capcom openly said "guys what are you on it has combat" this thread still was convinced there was no combat and it was a poo poo Outlast clone.

Like it's okay you saw a few trailers and decided that RE7 wasn't an RE game but Capcom absolutely told you that it was a real RE and had combat.

My point is this thread of all threads doesn't have a great track record and the marketing of their new game is already telling you what it is so I'm not sure why people are going against that when you don't any other time.

I don't blame anyone for thinking the game would be an Outlast clone after the first demo, a game with no combat about a film crew that came out a few weeks after Outlast 2's demo. The second demo had a gun and the third demo an actual monster so if you were still harping on that narrative then you're just trolling.

I don't remember anybody in this thread saying there was going to be no combat and if so then egg on my face. The question was always "how much combat will there be?" Will RE7 be a game that's all fighting like every Resident Evil of the past 10 years or would it be more choosing your battles and running away like the titles of the first 10 years? It took Capcom until an interview in December 2016 to officially say "this game is going back to the original survival horror."

It's not that this thread has a bad track record, it's that video game marketing has a bad track record of controlling its narrative. Compare this to The Evil Within 2: in an interview with Shinji Mikami and John Johanas they asked if the game was going to be open world. There was no political talk, no misdirection, no turning to look at a PR guy standing in a corner. The answer was flat out "The Evil Within 2 isn’t an open world game, but has sections where the maps get very large and open up a bunch of options for you." It doesn't get clearer than that and everyone knew what TEW2 compared to TEW1 which nobody knew exactly what that was.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 16, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WaltherFeng posted:

Man of Medan is the first game in what the devs call Dark Pictures anthology. I doubt theres any connecting story beyond common themes like in Black Mirror or Love, Death and Robots anthology

They were fairly explicit at E3 that the only planned connective tissue between the "Dark Pictures" is the presence of the Curator, who's a Crypt-Keeper-esque figure played by Pip Torrens.

The games are intended to each visit a specific sort of horror story and tweak it in a new way somehow. Man of Medan is a home-invasion thriller initially set aboard a small fishing boat, which eventually moves to a dead ocean liner.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

There was a part where i was watching his visage thing where he just talked and talked about how the lighter thing was wrong and the way he talked about it was really dismissive, but as someone who's never watched his stuff before I kinda just wanted to turn it off when he did that.

Also good grief man SCREW IN SOME FUCKINGLIGHT BULBS THEY'RE RIGHT THERE.

The thing that makes me roll my eyes now and then is that sometimes he will just incorrectly claim that something in a game is wrong (a spelling, a pronunciation, etc. Sometimes it's something culturally different to what he's used to), and firstly that's exactly the sort of thing he complains about people doing to him, and secondly if you're correcting someone else and are still wrong you kinda have to expect that people will tell you about it.

It's still a minor thing for me though, like I say I just wish he would relax a bit.

Ferrous fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 16, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Yeah no that's just goons (probably gamers as a whole) in general being incredibly pessimistic unless the hype train has got them going. Based on a single mission in a gameplay trailer for Horizon: Zero Dawn, the PS4 thread was convinced the game would be utter poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Len posted:

Remember how at the beginning of the year you were telling everyone that there was only one plotline through RE2 remake and there were no a/b games?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/24/man-of-medan-dark-pictures-anthology-hands-on/

I laugh only at the absolute arrogance of that studio/some journalist saying they could "usher in a new horror golden age". Buddy, you can't topple reality right now, and more importantly, Until Dawn wasn't without its flaws and pitfalls into being too funny to be scary.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 16, 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm surprised there hasn't been a copycat of until dawn but copying the premise of final destination. I know final destination 3 had that sorta cyoa thing but I mean something more modern with more possibilities, putting players into a situation where there are omens of what is to come and the player is meant to puzzle out what is going to happen.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Any thoughts on Paratopic? It's a short horror game covering three connected stories. It's quite short (about an hour?) but man, this is exactly the kind of (horror) game I like. Thick with atmosphere, a cohesive visual language, eerie world-building. Interactive fiction. I loved it.

Best to go in blind, but here's a short summary.

quote:

You got caught smuggling VHS tapes across the border, and now there's hell to pay.
You want to find an elusive rare bird in the forest and snap its picture.
You have to kill a man in the back room of a shady diner.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/897030/Paratopic/
https://arbitrarymetric.itch.io/paratopic

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a copycat of until dawn but copying the premise of final destination. I know final destination 3 had that sorta cyoa thing but I mean something more modern with more possibilities, putting players into a situation where there are omens of what is to come and the player is meant to puzzle out what is going to happen.

Well to actually do something like that well you need characters you don't want to die - which Until Dawn was lacking. Sure, make a lot of deaths and a lot of branching paths, but what made the good Nonarys popular from the bad one is consistent and likeable characters you don't want to see be killed and for each death to give you something/a clue into solving other issues down the line. You don't have that, you're just making a lot of busy work for anyone that wants to bother saving these assholes from themselves in very unbelievable ways.

But Paratopic looks to be what I was talking about using pixel graphics for horror. Goddamn is it creepy to watch poo poo stretch on a face.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe it is because I only watched a playthrough of it but while Paratopic was certainly impressive, I can't say I understood any of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Maybe it is because I only watched a playthrough of it but while Paratopic was certainly impressive, I can't say I understood any of it.

My understanding...

A secret experiment tried to digitize the essence of an eldritch entity but was shut down. The data was discovered, extracted to video, and sold as a drug that may transform the viewer into an abomination. You play as a tape smuggler who gets caught on the border, a hiker who accidentally uncovers the remnants of the experiment and the entity, and an assassin sent to track down the smugglers and clean up all evidence of the experiment. In Tarantino fashion the events are out of order and intercut and the share thematic elements, specifically the long car rides.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I really wanted to like Paratopic and wound up feeling cold about it. The aesthetic and execution thereof are amazing, but the big long stretches of negative space drove me out of the atmosphere rather than pulling me in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First time through I felt the car rides could've been shortened but now I think they're the perfectly length because they cut between the gun/case/camera to tie the connection of the protagonists together. Honestly it kind of felt like watching Memento or Dark City for the first time: I'm confused and angry, then I watch it a second time and it's like "oooh, every detail has an actual point." I didn't even know the woman who accosts you in your room can be spied on watching the tape.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
(lie) No, I am not interested in giant balls of twine.

al-azad posted:

events are out of order and intercut and the share thematic elements, specifically the long car rides.[/spoiler]

My favourite bit related to that is the item in the passenger seat can change whenever you look away.

Paratopic is really neat, my only complaint is any screenshot you take, comes out all washed out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

wyoming posted:

(lie) No, I am not interested in giant balls of twine.

Laughed out loud at this. Pretty much a stand out bit of levity in an a oppressive experience.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Has a goonchild posted a sick burn in response to their goonparent's post yet? I feel like that's when we reach Peak Something Awful and we can all finally die.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing Judgement and I'm listening to my controller broadcast whatever a phone call says as a second speaker and I'm wondering if any games have used this feature. Like, I know everything is designed like the Dualshock 4, but its a shame nothing like the radios from Silent Hill or whatever don't utilize this little trick because it'd kind of be interesting to use the controller as a tool within the game outside of just controlling things in it. Like a dousing rod for danger or whatever.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Crabtree posted:

I'm playing Judgement and I'm listening to my controller broadcast whatever a phone call says as a second speaker and I'm wondering if any games have used this feature. Like, I know everything is designed like the Dualshock 4, but its a shame nothing like the radios from Silent Hill or whatever don't utilize this little trick because it'd kind of be interesting to use the controller as a tool within the game outside of just controlling things in it. Like a dousing rod for danger or whatever.

Silent Hill:Shattered Memories literally does this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
No More Heroes did it as well, not in a horror way tho

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Shattered Memories is one of the very few games I can say suffers a lot if you aren't playing it on the Wii. Most of the charm is waving your controller around like a flashlight and taking creepy phone calls on the speaker.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Crabtree posted:

You can't play it anymore short of a lucky gold strike at a secondhand shop, but WayForward had a game on the WiiWare shop called Lit--the later Android game shares characters and a title, but isn't the same game at all--that did something really great and creepy with that.

It's a puzzle game where the goal is to get from one side of a high school classroom to the other by using light sources to cut a path through shadows, and if you ever touch the shadows, you die and have to start over. In every level, there's a red emergency phone, and if you pick it up before it stops ringing, you get a call from your character's girlfriend with a bit of exposition about the situation.

The first few are no big deal, and it's an additional challenge condition that eventually unlocks the girlfriend as a playable character, but the calls come in through your Wiimote speaker, which gives it a nice bit of distant, tinny resonance. I remember that by the time you get about halfway through the game, she's audibly begun to despair over the situation and suggests, utterly seriously, that maybe you and she are going through this because you're dead and in hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There was another obscure Wii game that did it, can't remember the name though, it was J-horror thing about some people trapped in a school at night and the main gimmick was using phones for stuff.

E: Calling

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Paratopic was very good! Reminded me bit of a more grounded Kitty Horrowshow game. Coulda probably used some more meat on the bone

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Crabtree posted:

I'd say also Fatal Frame 4 had some usage of the Wii-mote speaker for certain phone calls and I think when you played the spirit radio. I think Fatal Frame 5 might have had something similar as well too.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Silent Hill Shattered Memories probably pipes Harry's phone through the Wiimote but I don't remember

God I love that game

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/goodbyecomputer/status/1153245958018424833

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Holy poo poo, i'm suddenly regretting not picking that up

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

dogstile posted:

Holy poo poo, i'm suddenly regretting not picking that up

Its a very good game. It also neatly wraps up the story if thats your thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think that's been posted in thread before. Isn't it an Easter egg you get for back tracking to a place you have no reason to backtrack to?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

I think that's been posted in thread before. Isn't it an Easter egg you get for back tracking to a place you have no reason to backtrack to?

yes, it’s like a 15-20 minute trip if you go at a dead sprint

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

My understanding...

A secret experiment tried to digitize the essence of an eldritch entity but was shut down. The data was discovered, extracted to video, and sold as a drug that may transform the viewer into an abomination. You play as a tape smuggler who gets caught on the border, a hiker who accidentally uncovers the remnants of the experiment and the entity, and an assassin sent to track down the smugglers and clean up all evidence of the experiment. In Tarantino fashion the events are out of order and intercut and the share thematic elements, specifically the long car rides.

I just played through this game after those recommendatinos, and I liked it but feel like I missed some parts of the plot, namely A secret experiment tried to digitize the essence of an eldritch entity but was shut down, can you explain or is there a guide to getting the story parts of the plot? I went into a bunker and got a Get Out type instructional video, but it didn't really say anything and there was nothing to do down there after that. Also I got out of the tape loop by using the tape nearest the vcr on the desk, and found the camera instead of advancing into the concrete mansion to end the game, did those choices cause me to miss some of the plot? The tooltips also mention that the game has no save, so I imagine that to see the extra parts of the plot I'll have to replay it completely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

I just played through this game after those recommendatinos, and I liked it but feel like I missed some parts of the plot, namely A secret experiment tried to digitize the essence of an eldritch entity but was shut down, can you explain or is there a guide to getting the story parts of the plot? I went into a bunker and got a Get Out type instructional video, but it didn't really say anything and there was nothing to do down there after that. Also I got out of the tape loop by using the tape nearest the vcr on the desk, and found the camera instead of advancing into the concrete mansion to end the game, did those choices cause me to miss some of the plot? The tooltips also mention that the game has no save, so I imagine that to see the extra parts of the plot I'll have to replay it completely.

It sounds like you saw everything important. I'm just assuming the bunker is government related because The Power/Electrical Company feels like a direct reference to the depiction of the Department of Energy in Stranger Things. You can get into a weirdly deep conversation with the gas station clerk about aliens and the character in that scene (the smuggler) can go on a wild tangent that implies they're more than just humoring the dude. The clerk can also apparently directly see the "entity" which is standing by the car in the second scene: the assassin brushes it off but the smuggler doesn't understand.

The key points are some kind of organization buried a weird experiment, a group of people sell the remnants of this experiment as a drug that physically morphs the viewer, an innocent bystander stumbles over it and is killed by a shadowy creature that can be seen with the assassin, and a "maid service" (she calls herself a handyman) is called to recover the evidence and clean up. The assassin is the tie, they're the "concerned citizen" that turned in the smuggler at the border and the woman's body outside the diner is probably the smuggler's returning to meet their contact who the assassin is about to barge in on to destroy the tapes. The voice that orders all this is the one missing link, you never hear that voice again.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

It sounds like you saw everything important. I'm just assuming the bunker is government related because The Power/Electrical Company feels like a direct reference to the depiction of the Department of Energy in Stranger Things. You can get into a weirdly deep conversation with the gas station clerk about aliens and the character in that scene (the smuggler) can go on a wild tangent that implies they're more than just humoring the dude. The clerk can also apparently directly see the "entity" which is standing by the car in the second scene: the assassin brushes it off but the smuggler doesn't understand.

The key points are some kind of organization buried a weird experiment, a group of people sell the remnants of this experiment as a drug that physically morphs the viewer, an innocent bystander stumbles over it and is killed by a shadowy creature that can be seen with the assassin, and a "maid service" (she calls herself a handyman) is called to recover the evidence and clean up. The assassin is the tie, they're the "concerned citizen" that turned in the smuggler at the border and the woman's body outside the diner is probably the smuggler's returning to meet their contact who the assassin is about to barge in on to destroy the tapes. The voice that orders all this is the one missing link, you never hear that voice again.

Interesting, I'll have to pick some different dialogue options this time. In mine, the assassin doesn't call anyone except reporting the photographer dead at the end, and there was as far as I could tell no body outside the diner. Also, I could tell no relation between the Power Company experiment and the tapes other than the logo. Does the weird bird do anything in this plot other than lead the photographer to her death?