Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

cebrail posted:

What happened today? Why are there two groups with GC contenders (or people who wish they were GC contenders) unsuccessfully trying to get back to the peloton?

code:
c
  r
   o
     s
       s
         w
            i
              n
                 d
                   s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good throw.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was the infamous crosswind catch out followed by a bunch of GC teams burning dudes to build the gap up. It's the pre-mountain dream come true.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well it was a good tour for a week

e) i think that is like, literally the specifically exact combination of GC dudes losing time to make me completely lose interest in this tour, lmao.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
This was a good stage.
Cross wind chaos
Ineos did a good
Alaphilippe keeps the yellow
WOUT WIN

:kiss:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Crosswinds stage and Quintana was safely in the front group!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HappyCamperGL posted:

This is honestly the big surprise of the day

I guess hanging on a wheel does pay off sometimes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

This is honestly the big surprise of the day

I guess hanging on a wheel does pay off sometimes

Lotto sent Bennett back to get bottles from the car just as Ineos got on the front.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just watching the highlights, this is some unbelievably stupid riding from half these teams. How do you let your prime GC contender be 50 riders back in the bunch and not know there could be crosswinds coming?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

HappyCamperGL posted:

Nairo is just waiting for a more grand bin in which to chuck himself.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Any chance Alaphilippe can actually hang on in the big mountains?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I was rubbing myself raw over the crosswind splits practically the whole stage and THEN the Good Wout wins? This Tour kinda owns

Big fan of EF trying to make splits happen on at least two occasions, and then when they do happen Uran ends up in group 2 with no pink around him and he eats 100 seconds, lol

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah EF really kicking off the whole thing and then utterly ruining Urans race wasn't ideal

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Any chance Alaphilippe can actually hang on in the big mountains?

No.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quintana is the last hope. Literally just shoot me

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve been working crazy hours and only catch the standings at the end-can someone give me a rundown on what happened and why the tour is hosed now?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

nwin posted:

I’ve been working crazy hours and only catch the standings at the end-can someone give me a rundown on what happened and why the tour is hosed now?

There was a wee bit of wind and a lot of the non-Ineos GC contenders lost 100+ seconds. Not Nairo, though!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Quintana is the last hope. Literally just shoot me

Quintana shows no fear. Even up the steepest grades he remains stonefaced and nose breathing. Even as his GC competitors ride away off the front, he remains steadfast. He doesn't let the minute he'll lose on a time trial scare him.

Quintana is our best hope of a non-Ineos GC and he's already 52" down from G and Bernal. Does Kruijswijk stand a chance?

druthers
Oct 12, 2012
Honestly I think Enric Mas has a better shot than Quintana.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
After the Vuelta I'd agree but he was poor in the Tour de Suisse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was fun watching the second group chew through domestiques until only the big boys had any energy, and then they stood up to the challenge and lost 30 seconds in a handful of km.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

It was fun watching the second group chew through domestiques until only the big boys had any energy, and then they stood up to the challenge and lost 30 seconds in a handful of km.

My fav was when Lutsenko killed himself to get the group back to around 11 seconds from the front and then all the favourites just didnt want to ride hard and it ballooned out again.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Quintana will risk it all and make a big move later in the mountain stages by attacking with 1km to go and put 8 seconds into his competitors.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
lolled out loud along with the eurosport boys, top top stuff

https://twitter.com/egontemm/status/1150807001036984321?s=21

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

paddyboat posted:

lolled out loud along with the eurosport boys, top top stuff

https://twitter.com/egontemm/status/1150807001036984321?s=21

:lol:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/6739/anti-doping-bodies-tipped-off-about-possible-use-of-doping-agent-at-tour-de-france

Hmm when was froomes crash again :thunk:

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Smirr posted:

Big fan of EF trying to make splits happen on at least two occasions, and then when they do happen Uran ends up in group 2 with no pink around him and he eats 100 seconds, lol

They aren't really having their best week. I also liked when they chased De Gendt all day to help Woods (I guess) who then proceeded to fall on his face.

I would have liked it even more if this stuff happened to Ineos instead, but it's still funny.

This tour owns.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Stories like this can gently caress off imo.

A drug that's largely undetectable being reported by 'insiders' and getting mixed in with bidons without their knowledge all with the purpose of driving clicks and giving morons ammunition for anyone that wins a stage.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rip Terpstra.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rip his collarbone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another good throw to win. Well done him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bud Manstrong posted:

Nairo is just waiting for a more grand bin in which to chuck himself.

Still teasing us

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I feel like Terpstra's career is basically just this tweet at this point:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/757914951868485632

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
He's just really poo poo at grand tours. He doesn't like being away from home for prolonged times. He doesn't seem to like people in general and then being forced to be with people away from home for 3 weeks is just to much for him. Crashing or not, this is not his thing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I came in late to this year's tour (apparently I get NBCSN now? ok) and fast forwarding through the stage 11 footage and... why the gently caress did they bring Armstrong on for a 15 minute conversation? Have they been doing this for the entire tour?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I dunno, I paid some money and get to watch the ad free stream and listen to enthusiastic Australians who ( unlike Phil ligget) are generally able to identify the riders and their teams. It’s quite good.

It’s been lance-free thus far.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Imagine still being mad about Lance Armstrong in 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

simmyb posted:

Imagine still being mad about Lance Armstrong in 2019

He destroyed several careers and is mostly unrepentant. He should be ostracized completely.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

He destroyed several careers and is mostly unrepentant. He should be ostracized completely.

His contributions now could help revitalize the sport and bike culture (in the US.) Not saying you should forgive him, but ostracizing him probably doesn't serve the greater good at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/18/cycling-chris-froome-awarded-2011-vuelta-title-after-cobo-doping-ban

Chris froome now the 2011 Vuelta winner, probably a move by the UCI to see how much more salty they can make Bradley Wiggins.