Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Thots and Prayers posted:

{Arabiolosis} -- Chapter 2: Culture Clash

What a horrible book this is, I applaud and appreciate your efforts

This is on par with the Teignmouth Electron guys’ insane “Theory of Everything” manifesto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Yea thanks for the insane book quotes and recaps - very entergaging

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
This is really clever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thots and Prayers posted:

{Arabiolosis} -- Chapter 2: Culture Clash

It's a bold writing more to use 'and' and '&' in one sentence but I admire him going for it anyways

Right, so the un-related memoir starts up again and it's just weirdly written. I think this is a byproduct of being mostly dictated?

There's some petty family bullshit and just so much hyperbole that I honestly think this might sound better when you're talking at a computer and then never reading it again:

Nathen cut and pastes a wikipedia entry on Mutaween and we know this because he starts it off

And on and on and it's clearly just a straight paste of this wiki page - these sentences are way too short and information filled. Anyways these Mutaween are not really chill dudes as you can imagine and both Wikipedia and Nathen judge them very harshly.

It's all inappropriately paced as he introduces tangents that feel strange being next to descriptions of how lovely it is to be perceived as gay:

:The More You Know Star.gif:

Nathen apparently found it difficult to cut and paste from some sources:

A couple of pages of Nathen expounding on the question "What is a man, really?" follow. This finishes with a bunch of hypotheticals, including some more revealing than others:

When he complains about Saudi Arabia being boring, I think that's code for 'I watch a lot of daytime TV':

Nathen buddy, piece of free advice - if you keep saying this it starts to get weird:

He complains and complains for the rest of the chapter

He also recounts fights he had with his father and hoo boy that is some boring poo poo and yay the chapter is over.

Up next: Chapter 3: Teenage Nathen is a handful
Orange you glad we're getting these summaries? thanks !

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

And you can use the box as a holder for your j/o tissues

Cool, I never know where to put them when I’m finished

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
{ Arabioliosis } Chapter 3: Let the battle begin

quote:

Mazri's Law #3 - Never let emotion overrule rationale unless emotion has a rational justification, only then are you allowed to feel. Until then, you just think with your mind to drive your heart. Do not be the passenger of your own life!

Oh poo poo, I've read this book too many times because I found myself nodding as I typed out Do not be the passenger of your own life! Mmm yeah ol' Nathen's got a point here... I might need a break.

quote:

Ready? Fight! Now, it is just a fight between me, myself, and I, as the devils have begun dancing in my life. At the age of 15, I still reside in the middle of nowhere. One hardship after another has been standing in queue ready to attack.

Okay, I'd like to reiterate that the memoirs are semi-chronological and that we'll be stalled out in these angst-y teenage years for a while. Those fights I had to read from the previous chapter? Literally a teenager arguing with his parents. When he said he went off to his room he may very well have been sent to it for chrissakes.

Anyways, we're in for many pages of how Nathan feels about Saudi Arabia. This boy loves to just squeeze metaphors until they bleed:

quote:

Due to the culture clash and extreme religious regulations, it creates something like a life sentence to Folsom State Prison, but there's an illusion that it's better as the kind of prison I am in is more lenient and spacious. I have the ability to hear Johnny Cash's songs of blue play over and over again. Also, it provides services such as high school education and unlimited family visits.
Like prison, I am isolated from the real world; I spend my precious life at home knitting a long black cape while I can one day use to fly.
So it's like Folsom State Prison except for all the ways that it's not. Also who knits a long black cape in Saudi Arabia? Maybe this is a cultural thing, I dunno..

Nathen goes on and on about how much of a prison this place is and how really supremely boring and terrible it is. He does manage to find a small reprieve from the dull nightmare of his life:

quote:

I'd sit in my bedroom alone or on the big blue couch in the living room while my heart was shred into silent tears. I'd go outside to take in a bit of fresh air, but unfortunately the extreme 48 degrees Celsius heat waves would suffocate me and I would become more breathless than I already was.

I lived my days with tears, confused thoughts, heartache, and breathing problems. My only remedy for the misery and inner pain was a red mug of Nescafe with extra caffeine and 4 to 5 spoons of sugar -- which I must consume at least twice a day.

Behold - the secret Garficcino recipe! I adore the mental image I have of teenage Nathen sulking around the house and causing scenes only to do the 'rub the sides of your nose' thing and declare he was 'absolutely dying' without his Nescafe. "[E]xtra caffeine and 4 to 5 spoons of sugar"? A spaz drink par excellence, if 'Nescafe with extra caffeine' even exists.

Legit shocked that asthma didn't make the laundry list of illnesses that were in his bio.

quote:

(My Homemade Garfaccino) instigates my brain to dream and contemplate my future while I sit with two fingers of my right hand on the side of my forehead full of loathing for my present life and full of love for my future.

Forget the previous chapter's Wikipedia cut and paste, this entire chapter reads like a hyperbolic teenage diary.

quote:

Here I was, at home, ill-humored like always, sitting on the big blue couch of suede with my dearest Nescafe. I could hear something soft and tender tearing up right under my lower chest and at the peak of my stomach. With nothing better to do, I watched Entertainment Tonight, but I wondered if it was up-to-date since this place also lacks updated western programs.

Riveting stuff here, Nathen. Will Pam Anderson find new love? What if this is delayed and she already has? drat YOU SAUDI ARABIAAAAA

The 'tearing' stuff is just more storytelling hyperbole - I skipped pages and pages of complaints like this. This is how he writes.

Speaking of writing the rest of the chapter is him tacitly admitting that he was a huge pain in the rear end for the rest of the family and then recounting yet another fight with his mother. I'm not retyping any of that and we're done with Chapter 3! Nothing happened!

quote:

What is the theme of Chapter 3?
Never lose self-control & move from Power-to-Pain creating distance with your higher-self and doubting the universal external energy. What you put out there, comes right back at you multiplied by 10! You can, you could, it's an opportunity, and it's possible are the positive affirmations and mind-set you must possess to succeed the biggest battles in life. Think, watch, and see!

That first sentence sort of reads like a real sentence but I found it really difficult to type as it's just a mess. And I still don't know what the theme of Chapter 3 was.

Up next: Arabiolysis, Chapter 4: poo poo gets real weird

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 18, 2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nathen Mazri via Thots and Prayers posted:

sitting on the big blue couch of suede with my dearest Nescafe ... I watched Entertainment Tonight, but I wondered if it was up-to-date
I can never thank you enough for bringing me this, as now I can only picture him snuggled up on a $50,000 couch drinking his kids' version of coffee while this plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVfa_w7NsU&t=30s

No wonder Garfield hit hard

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Thank you for bringing this nonsensical treasure to us. I always think I write like poo poo, but nah turns out I'm okay. At least I can structure a sentence to a readable degree.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Taking bets on what'll happen first: Thots and Prayers finishes posting the book or Nathen's Garfield restaurant goes out of business.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

“Johnny Cash’s Songs of Blue” seems like a good user name for an engrish gimmick-poster or something.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
how am i so mad at a child’s beverage

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm starting to think this Nathen isn't a very good writer or a very good anything

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I spend my precious life at home knitting a long black cape while I can one day use to fly

I mean

that's entergagement

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm starting to think this Nathen isn't a very good writer or a very good anything

very good fail-son?

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

to be fair, his parents couldn't spell Nathan correctly so it probably runs in the family

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:drakeno: manchild
:drakeyes: kidult

piled high

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
If you’re an adult you can eat the whole thing and not leave the jowls to the side so Mom can clean it up.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

that pizza kinda looks like garfield's face after he suffered some kind of industrial welding accident

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There should be legal boundaries to how much one man can disrupt pizza

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Icochet posted:

There should be legal boundaries to how much one man can disrupt pizza

http://www.pizzariabatepapo.com.br/

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

hmm i see your point but this thing seems to have a certain joie de vivre that garfield boy is lacking

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ordered a BBQ steak pizza and an orange garfaccino. Pray for me.

There's a video on a constant loop of Jim Davis telling me how great Garfeats is.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ordered a BBQ steak pizza and an orange garfaccino. Pray for me.

There's a video on a constant loop of Jim Davis telling me how great Garfeats is.

:psypop:

You didn’t get the spaghetti cow? drat.

Also, please take a video. I don’t think we can fully appreciate your experience without audio.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 19, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm now the proud owner of two Garfield points whatever those are. It's like 30 degrees and humid outside and I wish I could spend them on air conditioning.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The orange garfaccino is impressive. It somehow smells strongly of bitter orange peel while managing to be completely flavorless. I can't detect any hint of either orange or coffee taste.

They've discovered a new flavor and that flavor is "blank". Water is more flavorful than this.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 19, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

While I wait for my pizza please enjoy the comic that came with my garfaccino

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Are you going to turn that cup into a tissue dispenser or a pencil holder after you've used it?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

There's no place to sit so I'll have to report on taste when I get home. FYI those two things together was $23 lmao.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thank you for your service, Mr. Yacht. Were there any other people?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Thank you for your service, Mr. Yacht. Were there any other people?

Aside from some dude from the street they were paying $10 to wash the windows, nope.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pizza review:

First of all, the sauce. It's so thin. Like theoretically this thing has barbeque sauce on it, but barbeque water is a more accurate description. It makes the whole thing soggy as hell and actually drips off the pizza as you try and eat it. Nevertheless, this is where the bulk of what flavor exists on this pizza comes from.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 19, 2019

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Can you estimate how likely the pizza is to give you diarrhea, and also whether it left a film in your mouth.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Next up the toppings. The steak is about the same quality you'd get on a Subway steak and cheese but is surprisingly edible. Ditto for the onions and green peppers. Not much flavor again but, compared to the monstrosity that comes next it's passable.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Let's talk about the cheese. After five minutes it congealed into a horrible rubbery mass. Like you know how pizza cheese gets after a few days in the fridge? This thing manages to get to that level in minutes. It also, again, manages to be entirely devoid of flavor. If this was an intentional effort to make the blandest, most tasteless food possible they'd deserve a Nobel prize.

Update: Found the flavor of the garfaccino. It was entirely contained in a mass of raw orange peels hiding in the bottom of the cup that just dumps into your mouth all at once when you try and finish the coffee. Gross.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Update: Found the flavor of the garfaccino. It was entirely contained in a mass of raw orange peels hiding in the bottom of the cup that just dumps into your mouth all at once when you try and finish the coffee. Gross.

:gonk:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alright finally, the crust. I ordered a thick crust but there's no way they got it right. It's thin as hell, cornmeal dusted, and has about the same flavour as a cheap store bought frozen pizza.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There's no place to sit so I'll have to report on taste when I get home. FYI those two things together was $23 lmao.

I'll give 'em this much, they seem to have gotten better at shaping the things if those earlier pics are to be believed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gonna make my own pizza this weekend out of protest.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I will now attempt to follow the Re-box instructions

Update: It can't actually be done. The guidelines in the actual box don't match the instructions.

And thus ends my GarfieldEats experience. Some other poor bastard is going to have to review the rest of the menu like the lasagna, Spaghetti Cow, and Watermelon smoothie.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Lmao