Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Minus Green posted:

See, one of the numerous problems Fates had was that it totally glossed over worldbuilding for countries not named "Hoshido", "Nohr", or "Valla". They didn't even give a name to the continent it takes place on...

That said, there's those three, plus the island the Rainbow Sage lives on, and I think the place Izana came from was its own country also?

pretty much every character not directly within the nohrian and hoshido stable represents an individual country that "exists," usually for a single chapter

i think scarlet's gets two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
erica mendez confirmed as Bernadetta

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I liked Conquest gameplay :shrug:.

cheetah7071 posted:

Conquest map design is mostly a series of tricky enemy formations, repeated ad nauseum. You almost never have to think more than a turn or two into the future. A few maps with that design would be a nice novelty but not every map.

I also dislike most of the combat innovations--heavy focus on skills so you have to check every enemy, every weapon having an effect you have to remember, debuffs existing, etc.

Both very true. I guess I didn't mind -- and even liked -- the former (I see it as more of a 'tactical' (turn-by-turn) kind of gameplay as opposed to 'strategic' (longer-term map-wide strategy)).

I absolutely loved early Heroes challenge maps for that very reason, until I started feeling my team falling farther and farther behind from the powercreep.

The best kinds of skill innovations are the movement skills (which is only impactful on small, bite-sized Heroes maps), and skills that require positioning. Giving up a turn to reposition is great, Guidance is great, Bond skills are great. Unfortunately none of these translate well to larger maps with more units -- basically, Guidance and Bond skills kind of come for 'free', rather than requiring careful planning to set them up.

Anyway, my hype for 3H has died down recently somewhat, for some reason. It's all good, though. Just means I'll go in with the minimum of expectations and will probably come out of it pleasantly surprised.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 18, 2019

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Re: silent Byleth -- aren't there already confirmed Japanese voice actors for both Byleths? Doesn't that mean that yknow, they do have a voice?

Unless the entirety of Byleth's voice is like, in-combat grunts and yells.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Allegra Clark confirmed as Shamir and Dorothea.

facepalmolive posted:

Anyway, my hype for this game has died down recently somewhat, for some reason. It's all good, though. Just means I'll go in with the minimum of expectations and will probably come out of it pleasantly surprised.

Literally every post you say about why you like FE is not Three Houses, I would suggest mutant zero or battle tech.

Like honestly, the game is in a direction where you'll end up wasting 60 bucks for you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/AbbyTrott/status/1151673381198020608

A lot of transplants from FE Heroes are debuting, which makes sense. They need to farm a poo poo ton of VA's for this game that's in their record books already.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Well, the boyfriend is getting it anyway, so won't be my money. I'll let him be my guinea pig. There's been some rumors that Claude route maps are great, and Team Claude was already best team anyway, so I haven't abandoned all hope yet.

I don't think I'll hate the game by any means, and sorry for party pooping if that's what I've been coming across as.

Also trashing on inferior houses and people with inferior tastes, like Team Edgeguard, is fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The warning is only that you leaned towards the gameplay and tried to skip over as much as the talking bits as possible. Three houses, from all reports, is like 60, maybe 70% of the rpg aspects and the least amount of tactical rpg per minute.

edit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FayeMata/status/1151679196919291904

Tae fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 18, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

facepalmolive posted:

Re: silent Byleth -- aren't there already confirmed Japanese voice actors for both Byleths? Doesn't that mean that yknow, they do have a voice?

Unless the entirety of Byleth's voice is like, in-combat grunts and yells.

They might, just might, have a single line in a cutscene. Aside from that, expect nothing but grunts and battle quotes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Geostomp posted:

They might, just might, have a single line in a cutscene. Aside from that, expect nothing but grunts and battle quotes.

I know one person on Reddit who says they’ve played the game said that Byleth basically spends the game nodding like a Persona MC.

Which will really make their supports boring if true.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I know one person on Reddit who says they’ve played the game said that Byleth basically spends the game nodding like a Persona MC.

Which will really make their supports boring if true.

To be fair, 2/3 of the mainline FEs with player-created characters would probably have been better off with them not saying anything for the entire game, including in supports. With this kind of silent protag, there'll probably be at least some choices in the support convos.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If Kaiji Tang doesnt voice someone in this game, I will kill God.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

It is interesting how Three Houses has abandoned basically every idea Fates had, mechanically. The only thing that really seems to be here is the idea of a homebase, but it's implemented so differently.

Not too surprising. Intelligent Systems rotates directors for games within their franchises.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

It's a JRPG. Even odds you'll kill a god anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am all in on making Raphael my dancer. This is all that matters now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I had a thought on if there's a restriction on many dancers you can have, or since it's a relative late game class, unlimited EXP doesn't matter as much.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

I had a thought on if there's a restriction on many dancers you can have, or since it's a relative late game class, unlimited EXP doesn't matter as much.

If they don't limit the dancers you can class into or deploy I'm guessing at the very least it'll work like Heroes where you can't Dance someone who has Dance

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I missed some obvious info apparently, the game does have dual audio.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Looking at the Master Classes I'm really hoping there are some hidden ones because forcing every character to grab really high levels of Flying or Riding unless they're a punch dude or magic lady is incredibly weird and lovely.

There's also just a gap in a lot of 'obvious' promotion paths which is weird. Like no male class gets Reason and Faith at Master level even though up until then basically every magic class does and you have to do a hard pivot into 'also Lances and riding(and you're stuck with just healing or attack magic now)' or 'also Swords(but only if you just want attack magic)' for any of your magic dudes. And women can just pound sand if they want to punch stuff. Or the lack of any support for the Axe/Brawling/Bow archetype from low levels.

Weapon distribution in general is super weird. Only one class with Faith/Bows/Brawling/Armor apiece, only two with Axes/Flying and even only three with Swords but four requiring riding and five requiring lances. It feels like it really pidgeonholes kids who have bad riding aptitude.

I feel like I'm just missing something with the class design.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 18, 2019

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What I'm hoping for is that you're not expected to have a team full of Master Classes and that Advanced Classes will be good enough for the endgame.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hellioning posted:

What I'm hoping for is that you're not expected to have a team full of Master Classes and that Advanced Classes will be good enough for the endgame.

The reviewers and people with early access are saying they're all definitely a tier up from the Advanced classes with much higher bases and better skills :shrug:

I guess we'll see once more people report on the endgame.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ideally Master Classes act as a compliment to Advance classes, rather than "get here or gently caress off". They have fancier combinations and maybe more eclectic skills to offset their requirements but at the same time don't outclass whatever their closest counterpart is.

e: well never mind about that, i guess...

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

In a surprise twist, Kaiji Tang voices the secret final boss, who is in fact a mad god you have to kill to save the continent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zore posted:

The reviewers and people with early access are saying they're all definitely a tier up from the Advanced classes with much higher bases and better skills :shrug:

I guess we'll see once more people report on the endgame.

Well that sucks.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I think the master classes only show up once you’ve met the requirements for them. It might be that we haven’t seen them all yet

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/BenjaminDiskin/status/1151709182736777216

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

Robin was incredibly popular

The silent bylett might be a counter thing to literally everyone else being voiced or something.

Female Robin romancing Chrom works well in the context of that game IMO. Though even as male Robin that game has a kind of neat dynamic with the more "protagonist-y" character not being the player character.

Tae posted:

The base game is designed for normal, which almost every reviewer says is too easy, while factoring in casual mode and turn wind at 3 uses at the start.

The developers definition of a failsafe and what people in this thread are going to play on are probably going to be very different (Since hard mode apparently doesn't even have grinding or something).

From my experience with Awakening/Fates, I'm finally gonna wise up this time and do Hard difficulty but without "units die permanently" on. Previously I did Normal difficulty with units dying permanently, and it totally sucked because my victory in stages was never in question, but I'd constantly have to restart them due to getting unlucky and having a unit get crit or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 18, 2019

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
https://twitter.com/BenjaminDiskin/status/1151709204442300417

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zore posted:

Looking at the Master Classes I'm really hoping there are some hidden ones because forcing every character to grab really high levels of Flying or Riding unless they're a punch dude or magic lady is incredibly weird and lovely.

There's also just a gap in a lot of 'obvious' promotion paths which is weird. Like no male class gets Reason and Faith at Master level even though up until then basically every magic class does and you have to do a hard pivot into 'also Lances and riding(and you're stuck with just healing or attack magic now)' or 'also Swords(but only if you just want attack magic)' for any of your magic dudes. And women can just pound sand if they want to punch stuff. Or the lack of any support for the Axe/Brawling/Bow archetype from low levels.

Weapon distribution in general is super weird. Only one class with Faith/Bows/Brawling/Armor apiece, only two with Axes/Flying and even only three with Swords but four requiring riding and five requiring lances. It feels like it really pidgeonholes kids who have bad riding aptitude.

I feel like I'm just missing something with the class design.

Since the game lets you change classes to anything a character is certified for (including while placing units on the map pre-battle), and the way certification exams work in general, it seems like the intent is for the player to swap characters around for what they need for any given battle instead of the traditional Fire Emblem progression structure. But then again the game may be like "lol you only get 5 Master Class seals in the game without purchasing the DLC" and force you to make tough decisions.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm glad personal skills are sticking around. Most aren't especially interesting but I enjoy the tiny bit of extra flavour they bring.

E: Wait this game has pair up?

To expand on this a bit, you can only begin to use pair up once your professor skill reaches a certain level (C I believe), and then it's only for one pairing. And you get one more pair for ever further level in your professor skill, meaning at most 3 pairs at rank A.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Well this turned my verdict from "wait and see" to "stay the gently caress away!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Torrannor posted:

To expand on this a bit, you can only begin to use pair up once your professor skill reaches a certain level (C I believe), and then it's only for one pairing. And you get one more pair for ever further level in your professor skill, meaning at most 3 pairs at rank A.

Oh yeah, I actually do kinda remember hearing about this. I guess it's not so bad if it's like your reward for reaching certain milestones.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Araxxor posted:

Well this turned my verdict from "wait and see" to "stay the gently caress away!"

It's just one reviewer? Why not retain your "wait and see" attitude, and look how the thread regulars judge the game after playing it?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

russ frushtick is a turbo weenie and i bet he genuinely enjoyed the plot of fire emblem fates for the nintendo 3ds

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
so apparently three houses broke street date in China, so maybe some spoilers might pop up soon. Who knows

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

GenericMartini posted:

so apparently three houses broke street date in China, so maybe some spoilers might pop up soon. Who knows

No, it was a screenshot from a (Switch) friend of a reviewer in China showing the person had starting playing nine days ago, that’s all

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

Byleth can not become a Dancer.

Game officially trash.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Minus Green posted:

See, one of the numerous problems Fates had was that it totally glossed over worldbuilding for countries not named "Hoshido", "Nohr", or "Valla". They didn't even give a name to the continent it takes place on...

That said, there's those three, plus the island the Rainbow Sage lives on, and I think the place Izana came from was its own country also?

They don’t deserve even that much credit: Hoshido has no worldbuilding to speak of and the only bit of Valla to get history was Ananakos himself. Hoshido only exists in to be Perfect Glorious Nippon and Valla is a glorified plot device.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Torrannor posted:

It's just one reviewer? Why not retain your "wait and see" attitude, and look how the thread regulars judge the game after playing it?

how else is the thread supposed to know they Hate Fates without being performative about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

They don’t deserve even that much credit: Hoshido has no worldbuilding to speak of and the only bit of Valla to get history was Ananakos himself. Hoshido only exists in to be Perfect Glorious Nippon and Valla is a glorified plot device.

I feel like you're giving Nohr too much credit here by omission.