Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Solkanar512 posted:

Does anyone have a non-bullshit answer for how they can support Bernie Sanders first and a grifter who makes her money on anti-vaxx and anti-mental health conspiracies?

For all the ranting about lack of access to health care that goes on here, you folks really don’t loving get the damage that is done by people who convince people to stop taking medicine and pay her instead.

something something Joe Biden is an imperialist something something Warren is a Republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

She’s a like Cherokee Super Sayan 3

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

Warren is a Republican

She’s been a republican for like 90% of her life lol

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Z. Autobahn posted:

something something Joe Biden is an imperialist something something Warren is a Republican

Pretty much.

If folks want a poo poo tier candidate to support, then why not Jay Inslee? Stupid grin aside he got a public healthcare option passed in Washington State and he’s focusing his own campaign on climate change. Even if you think that’s not enough to put him in your second place spot, no one reasonable would be upset with him being made head of the EPA or secretary of energy.

That’s much, much more than can be said about Williamson. It’s really not funny that there are democratic candidates who are actively fueling the stigma around medication used in mental health.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

You're being sarcastic, but these are actually 100% reasonable arguments. Why is what Williamson does worse than endorsing the murder/displacement of countless thousands abroad (and domestically through deportations)?

The stronger reaction to a non-mainstream figure's crimes is understandable as person living in the US and exposed to our media and society, but it's still wrong.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

She also tells women facing postpartum depression to forget medication and pray, and spoke out against increased efforts to screen women for depression rather than just ignoring them.

Man, these are some real loving progressive values right here. Why are so many of you so enamored with an obvious, capitalist grifter? She’s only running to sell books and speaking fees, even if she does impress you by saying the exact same poo poo that’s been said here a thousand times.

it's funny

you remember humor, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Does anyone have a non-bullshit answer for how they can support Bernie Sanders first and a grifter who makes her money on anti-vaxx and anti-mental health conspiracies?

For all the ranting about lack of access to health care that goes on here, you folks really don’t loving get the damage that is done by people who convince people to stop taking medicine and pay her instead.

Williamson is better than Warren on 1992 AIDS policy and no worse than Harris or Biden on Vaccines.

But she is the only one bringing up the cultural and imperialistic issues in America.

Of course there is a candidate doing the same without her flaws, but people get mad if we just talk about him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Is it really a shock that under this loving president, people don't want to elect another outsider candidate?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

You're being sarcastic, but these are actually 100% reasonable arguments. Why is what Williamson does worse than endorsing the murder/displacement of countless thousands abroad (and domestically through deportations)?

The stronger reaction to a non-mainstream figure's crimes is understandable as person living in the US and exposed to our media and society, but it's still wrong.

There's a pretty massive chasm between "Biden is as bad as Williamson" and "Williamson is actually good"/"Williamson is my second choice"

Biden's awfulness doesn't magically make Williamson good

Trabisnikof posted:

Williamson is better than Warren on 1992 AIDS policy and no worse than Harris or Biden on Vaccines.

This is dumb because in 1992 Warren was a generally apolitical person who took no meaningful role in politics or AIDS while Williamson was actively and literally convincing people with AIDS to kill themselves. Like Williamson absolutely did much more harm than Warren in this regard.

Take Warren out of 1992 and nothing changes. Take Williamson out of 1992 and multiple people with AIDS are still alive.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 18, 2019

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

There's a pretty massive chasm between "Biden is as bad as Williamson" and "Williamson is actually good"/"Williamson is my second choice"

Williamson is better than any Numbers Fuckstein because she appears to care about people and not figures in a spreadsheet

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Z. Autobahn posted:

If we both acknowledger Biden is terrible who is the correct second choice other than Williamson? If you say "Warren" go ahead and assume I pointed out that she is pro-bombing hospitals.
edit:
Which if it wasn't clear bombing hospitals has really negative effects on people seeking healthcare.
Wait

Z. Autobahn posted:

Take Warren out of 1992 and nothing changes. Take Williamson out of 1992 and multiple people with AIDS are still alive.
You got a time machine? What are your rental rates? Because if these are my choices I'm taking Sanders out of 1992 and this whole conversation is dumb.

twodot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 18, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ruminahui posted:

Williamson is better than any Numbers Fuckstein because she appears to care about people and not figures in a spreadsheet

Williamson also cares about selling her weird fake self-help books so I'd pump the breaks on this idea that the crystal queen is super genuine and loves you and is your friend lol.

Williamson is bad and the fact that she's better on average than most of the Democrats is a condemnation of the party, not an endorsement of her.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

This is dumb because in 1992 Warren was a generally apolitical person who took no meaningful role in politics or AIDS while Williamson was actively and literally convincing people with AIDS to kill themselves. Like Williamson absolutely did much more harm than Warren in this regard.

Well sure, if you’re going to use the argument that Warren can be a “diehard Republican” but she gets to ignore all the horrible stuff being a Republican meant, yeah it absolves her.

“Ooopies, I wasn’t paying enough attention so I was supporting the party who said the gays deserved AIDS, I’m just a naive Harvard Professor” - More of an apology than Warren has given

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Williamson is a capitalist grifter who has made a fortune off exploiting the vulnerable and desperate by peddling toxic pseudoscience and the fact that people itt are willing to make her a second chance because she momentarily tethered her woowoo poo poo to some critique of the US speaks far more to the griftability of this thread than anything else

Ruminahui posted:

Cares so much about people she convinces people with AIDS that they're just not trying hard enough, mothers with post-partum that it's natural, people with depression not to take their meds, and parents not to vaccinate their kids

twodot posted:

If we both acknowledger Biden is terrible who is the correct second choice other than Williamson? If you say "Warren" go ahead and assume I pointed out that she is pro-bombing hospitals.

"Bernie is the one and only good choice and everyone else is a monster" is a vastly better and more defensible position than "The grifter who convinces sick people to kill themselves is not bad"

Trabisnikof posted:

Well sure, if you’re going to use the argument that Warren can be a “diehard Republican” but she gets to ignore all the horrible stuff being a Republican meant, yeah it absolves her.

“Ooopies, I wasn’t paying enough attention so I was supporting the party who said the gays deserved AIDS, I’m just a naive Harvard Professor” - More of an apology than Warren has given

The quote about her being a 'diehard Republican' is from a person she went to high school with, lmao

There is no documented record, afaik, of Warren supporting Republicans on AIDS. There is extensive documentation of Williamson preaching horrific pseudoscience on AIDS and convincing people with AIDS to take suicidally reckless actions. You can't compare the two.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 18, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

"Bernie is the one and only good choice and everyone else is a monster" is a vastly better and more defensible position than "The grifter who convinces sick people to kill themselves is not bad"
I asked you a question, answer the question or don't quote me.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

These purity tests are getting out of hand! There’s no such thing as a perfect candidate, it’s not very pragmatic of you to do this.

Lightning Knight posted:

Williamson also cares about selling her weird fake self-help books

Pretty sure all politicians do this. Didnt Obama make like $500 million from selling his book about smoking weed in Hawaii and how he regrets it and now believes that raiding medical dispensaries is the right thing to do

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

I asked you a question, answer the question or don't quote me.

If Williamson wasn't running, who would your second choice be?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

If Williamson wasn't running, who would your second choice be?
I have no idea how I would behave in your imaginary counterfactual, now you answer my question you awful waste of oxygen.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ruminahui posted:

Pretty sure all politicians do this.

Yes, that is my point. Williamson may tweet about American empire, but she also a) doesn't understand leftist economics or Marx at all or willfully ignores the point/is against it and b) is first and foremost a grifter coming from the world of talk shows and Oprah. The good tweets she makes have to be read in a context of her being a charlatan.

The advantage she has is that all politicians are charlatans.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

The quote about her being a 'diehard Republican' is from a person she went to high school with, lmao

There is no documented record, afaik, of Warren supporting Republicans on AIDS. There is extensive documentation of Williamson preaching horrific pseudoscience on AIDS and convincing people with AIDS to take suicidally reckless actions. You can't compare the two.

“Warren didn’t give enough of a gently caress to realize Republicans are being monsters to gay people, and only stopped supporting Republicans when they weren’t pro-market enough for her. This is good.”

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

“Warren didn’t give enough of a gently caress to realize Republicans are being monsters to gay people, and only stopped supporting Republicans when they weren’t pro-market enough for her. This is good.”

It can be simultaneously true that Warren being a Republican was lovely, and also that Williamson peddling 'you can cure your own AIDS, don't take meds' was also lovely. The shittiness of Candidate A doesn't somehow absolve the shittiness of Candidate B.

If you want to claim "Bernie is the only good candidate", that's honestly an ideologically and politically defensible position. It can be totally possible that everyone else is garbage, including both Williamson and Warren. But the shittiness of Warren in the 90s doesn't somehow nullify the shittiness of Williamson in the 90s (and also now).

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Nerds itt are confused why people like certain candidates that seem truthful and charismatic and are firmly anti-imperialist because the candidates they’ve supported are all liars and have no problem bombing buses full of brown children if it means some Wallstreet bastards make a few extra mill

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

It can be simultaneously true that Warren being a Republican was lovely, and also that Williamson peddling 'you can cure your own AIDS, don't take meds' was also lovely. The shittiness of Candidate A doesn't somehow absolve the shittiness of Candidate B.

If you want to claim "Bernie is the only good candidate", that's honestly an ideologically and politically defensible position. It can be totally possible that everyone else is garbage, including both Williamson and Warren. But the shittiness of Warren in the 90s doesn't somehow nullify the shittiness of Williamson in the 90s (and also now).
Yet you have claimed people selecting Williamson as a second choice are bad:

Z. Autobahn posted:

While refusing to say who you think the correct second choice is. Could this be because you are a worthless waste of electrons?

twodot fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 18, 2019

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Ruminahui posted:

Nerds itt are confused why people like certain candidates that seem truthful and charismatic and are firmly anti-imperialist because the candidates they’ve supported are all liars and have no problem bombing buses full of brown children if it means some Wallstreet bastards make a few extra mill

Williamson is also a huge liar and grifter, hth

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Z. Autobahn posted:

Oh, so you two have a lot in common?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ruminahui posted:

She most certainly cares about the numbers she pulls in from speaking engagements and books sales where she pedals her dangerous bullshit.

I’ve directly pointed this out multiple times, why do you ignore it?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

Yet you have claimed people selecting Williamson as a second choice are bad:

While refusing to say who you think the correct second choice is. Could this be because you are a worthless waste of electrons?

Warren is absolutely a better second choice, despite having many flaws, than the capitalist grifter who built a fortune peddling pseudoscience and killing vulnerable people, and if you don't understand that Williamson's anti-imperialism is also an obvious grift, that reflects solely on you

Phone posted:

Oh, so you two have a lot in common?

No Williamson made a huge fortune off her grift and is worth way more than me, but on the other hand she's directly responsible for the deaths of way more people

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

Still better than that republican E Warren and her pseudo-race science

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

peddling pseudoscience and killing vulnerable people

Pretty sure this is Warren and you’re confusing your candidates

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Warren is absolutely a better second choice
Cool I'm glad you have learned to answer a question after many iterations. In your opinion, in 2019, do more people die because of American foreign policies that Warrens supports, or do more people die because of any sort of issue Williamson supports today in 2019?
edit:
Like Williamson's anti-imperialism can be a grift, but Warren's pro-imperialism is just a pro-murder stance, so I'm unclear on how you see a clear choice

twodot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 18, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
And since folks just keep ignoring everything I wrote let me post this again: Inslee actually gives a poo poo about climate change and signed a public option into law covering Washington State. If you need someone in your second place spot, there you go.

Williamson told parents not to vaccinate, depressed women not to take their meds and gay men that they weren’t positive enough. She told them this to literally make money.

You can’t claim to give a poo poo about public health if you cannot accept that Williamson is absolutely disqualified as a candidate. It’s absolute anti-intellectualism to say otherwise.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Telling cancer and AIDS patients to just pray it away is also a pro-murder stance

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

Like Williamson's anti-imperialism can be a grift, but Warren's pro-imperialism is just a pro-murder stance, so I'm unclear on how you see a clear choice

Yes, they're both going to perpetuate the American war machine, but Williamson is also going to promote anti-vaxx anti-medication pseudoscience on a national stage, therefore she's obviously worse

This thread: Warren was a Republican thirty years ago so everything she says is a lie
Also this thread: The grifter who convinces sick people to kill themselves for her profit is obviously trustworthy and reliable on her campaign to be President

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 18, 2019

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Solkanar512 posted:

Williamson told parents not to vaccinate, depressed women not to take their meds and gay men that they weren’t positive enough. She told them this to literally make money.

Even if these claims all turned out to be 100% true (lol) I’d still pick her over someone who was a card-carrying member of the Nazi GOP party

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yes, they're both going to perpetuate the American war machine, but Williamson is also going to promote anti-vaxx anti-medication pseudoscience on a national stage, therefore she's obviously worse

I’d like to choose the candidate that was never a Nazi Republican, please

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

twodot posted:

Cool I'm glad you have learned to answer a question after many iterations. In your opinion, in 2019, do more people die because of American foreign policies that Warrens supports, or do more people die because of any sort of issue Williamson supports today in 2019?
edit:

gently caress off with this whataboutism bullshit. I’m not supporting Warren, I’m loving tired of seeing people who claim to be progressive not give a poo poo about public health or science in general. This isn’t funny or “nerd poo poo”, these are people’s loving lives.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

But this is just fan fiction you have written about Williamson. Like if you've got a quote that says Warren and Williamson are equally bad on murdering people abroad I'll read them, but your argument appears to be "I think Williamson is a liar, whereas I fully believe Warren when she says bombing hospitals is good" which doesn't seem like any sort of real argument.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

"Bernie is the only good candidate and everyone else is a monster" is a consistent and defensible stance. You don't have to defend loathsome creatures like Williamson just to stick it to the DNC.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

But this is just fan fiction you have written about Williamson. Like if you've got a quote that says Warren and Williamson are equally bad on murdering people abroad I'll read them, but your argument appears to be "I think Williamson is a liar, whereas I fully believe Warren when she says bombing hospitals is good" which doesn't seem like any sort of real argument.

Yes, I think the obvious known grifter who has built a fortune off grifting is, in fact, currently grifting. I see zero difference between Williamson building a fortune off telling people with AIDS they just didn't pray hard enough and Williamson building a political campaign off telling leftists she'll be anti-imperialism. She's a grifter. She's grifted AIDS patients and mothers struggling with depression and now she's grifting you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress off with this whataboutism bullshit. I’m not supporting Warren, I’m loving tired of seeing people who claim to be progressive not give a poo poo about public health or science in general. This isn’t funny or “nerd poo poo”, these are people’s loving lives.
If your stance is "I want to murder less people" and one candidate says "I want to bomb hospitals" and another says "I'm a weirdo who thinks crystals heal people", then harm reduction demands you pick the obvious choice.
edit:

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yes, I think the obvious known grifter who has built a fortune off grifting is, in fact, currently grifting.
Whereas Warren who was a Republican deep into adulthood isn't an obvious and known grifter? If you've got the quote I asked for, offer it. If you don't gently caress off.

twodot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

twodot posted:

Whereas Warren who as a Republican deep into adulthood isn't an obvious and known grifter?

No, for better or worse, I think Warren has been pretty consistently sincere in her beliefs, even when they were awful.