Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FMguru posted:

Was that when he ended up doxxing a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere in Iceland, that (of course) had nothing to do with Far West, Skarka, or gaming? Because that was some funny poo poo.

No. The random legal threat at an empty field was wrapped up with Skarka's heyday on G+ jumping into conversations to start fights about himself and be a straight white guy at minorities. I believe Freyja made fun of Far West never coming out, without even tagging Skarka's, and he really went apeshit internet lawyer. He doxxed whoever had ifwoy (I seriously don't remember who) separately from that. In fact I think ifwoy didn't exist until a year or more after An Empty Barn v Skarka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

He doxxed whoever had ifwoy (I seriously don't remember who) separately from that. In fact I think ifwoy didn't exist until a year or more after An Empty Barn v Skarka.

It was inklesspen, who maintains the F&F archive still. GMS went digging through the domain/website data and posted his detective work on Google+ or some other blog of his in an obvious ploy to rile up fans for harassment. Except he doesn't have any fans because they've all been alienated a long time ago from Far West. Inklesspen let the website expire because there wasn't much reason to keep it up after GMS stopped giving deadlines to break on a regular basis.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

Was that when he ended up doxxing a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere in Iceland, that (of course) had nothing to do with Far West, Skarka, or gaming? Because that was some funny poo poo.
Abandoned farmhouse. That was something else, yeah.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just watched Wizards because of this thread. Yikes. Just yikes.

Yeah, me too. The gently caress did I just watch?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

atholbrose posted:

Art, or maybe cocaine.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Art, or maybe cocaine.

Pretty sure it can be both

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Darwinism posted:

Pretty sure it can be both

Let's let the viewer decide !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQ-nMc0WGE

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

atholbrose posted:

There's a level of determinism that I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with. These people are mutants because they were born in the bad lands. These people are elves and fairies because they're born in the good lands. Literally. The movie literally calls these places "good" and "bad". Avatar is good because he was born to be good. Blackwolf is bad because he was born to be bad. It's very sketch.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's pretty ironic that in the film about an evil wizard using nazi propaganda to lead his army, all the good guys have blonde hair and blue eyes and the primary antagonist has a big beard and nose and wears black, flowing robes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Whybird posted:

...and the primary antagonist has a big beard and nose and wears black, flowing robes.

Don't make me link the second video I found. It gets way worse than that.

I think there's an actual point or message in this mess. Somewhere. But I can't quite get at it.

Oh god. Oh god no. Now I have to not only watch the drat thing but do the F&F fir the RPG.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kibner posted:

I think he knows that, hence posting an update from nearly five years ago.

I know, I know, I just wanted to dig into how useless a promise from James Wallis really is.

I remember when Wallis originally made that update and the backers were like "Is this some kind of loving joke?" because Far West already had an extremely Far West reputation back then.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm very much A Casual when it comes to all things TG but is there a summary somewhere for far west and what happened? I also think cowboy western wuxia sounds rad but also like reading about things that sound like disasters.

Edit: I hope the author isn't just bullshitting about mental health issues to garner sympathy for all the problems with the project and that they get better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whybird posted:

Yeah, it's pretty ironic that in the film about an evil wizard using nazi propaganda to lead his army, all the good guys have blonde hair and blue eyes and the primary antagonist has a big beard and nose and wears black, flowing robes.

This is only half true. Blackwolf is as described, but the main protagonists are all either dark-haired or... Avatar.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Having seen Wizards recently and been thinking about it a lot (which is hosed up in its own) wasn't there a scene where a guy is like "yeah I've got an army and we're gonna go fight the Nazi bad guys yeah!!" and Avatar flipped out on him for wanting to go pick a fight with the bad guys? Then the movie ends with him just shooting Blackwolf? What was that about?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It was about the film being completely devoid of any thematic or tonal consistency. :ms:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Whybird posted:

It was about the film being completely devoid of any thematic or tonal consistency. :ms:

Good point but you also forgot the other main theme of the movie: Bakshi being really horny. Like goddamn, that character. I've seen fanservice anime with more tasteful character designs.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Glagha posted:

Good point but you also forgot the other main theme of the movie: Bakshi being really horny. Like goddamn, that character. I've seen fanservice anime with more tasteful character designs.
A long-running Bakshi trope; isn't the basic premise of Cool World "god dammit I cannot stop masturbating to my own drawings"?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NLJP posted:

I'm very much A Casual when it comes to all things TG but is there a summary somewhere for far west and what happened? I also think cowboy western wuxia sounds rad but also like reading about things that sound like disasters.

Edit: I hope the author isn't just bullshitting about mental health issues to garner sympathy for all the problems with the project and that they get better.

Far West was a kickstarter from Gareth-Michael Skarka that was originally launched in July 2011 for a late 2011 release. It was going to be d20 based originally, with some FATE elements stapled on, so people were mostly sold on the genre mash-up pitch. A year back he said that he completely rewrote all the rules for Far West and rebuilt it around the ancient West End Games Star Wars d6 ruleset, so I guess we'll see how that turned out.

Someone did re-host the "Is Far West Out Yet?" page, and has kept it updated through April of this year, so you can get an idea of how many times GMS said he'd release stuff and missed those deadlines: https://www.mutedhorn.net/far-west-delivery-estimates

There were a lot of points where GMS has been a combative dick about it, and done stuff like the aforementioned attempts to doxx and bully people over mild digs or accurately pointing out how many times he hasn't followed through on a deadline. The comments directed at him aren't often nice (especially 8 years after the kickstarter), but I don't know what he expects at this point. He's talked about having the majority of the rules in a workable form as far back as 2013, but that hasn't materialized beyond partial releases of chapters.

He does cite his mental health as a big barrier to the completion of the project a lot, and I do understand how that can be a huge weight dragging you down, but he'll also blame delays on other incidents. One time a backer filed a regulatory complaint with some state-level agency over Far West that GMS had to respond to, and then he went on a big rant about how that ruined his week and stopped him from working on Far West, you idiot backers! Even with health issues in mind, he's burned through any goodwill he had a long time ago.

Oh, and some of the preview art that has come out for Far West is also obviously stolen from google image search, cropped together, and run through some photoshop filters.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 18, 2019

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Warthur posted:

A long-running Bakshi trope; isn't the basic premise of Cool World "god dammit I cannot stop masturbating to my own drawings"?

His drawings can't stop masturbating to his drawings. Cool World is one thing, check out Miss America from Coonskin.

Edit: You know, I'm aware she's wearing a full-body leotard, but just to be on the safe side.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 18, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My favorite Far West moment was when he promised something would be coming by the end of the year, and then in mid-December announced that it was delayed (again) because of unexpected family commitments. Because who could possibly anticipate a bunch of family stuff happening in late December?

Another fun bit was his haughty insistence that the people who had given him money for FW weren't customers (who might be due some sliver of customer service) but rather backers (who paid him to make the game, so they should shut up and leave him alone so he could finish the drat project they backed). He also accused other companies (like Evil Hat Games) that did have a reputation for providing friendly and prompt customer service of trying pull a scam on customers, as anyone with half a brain could see.

The real issue seems to be that he spent through the KS money (unconfirmed rumors had him trying to pitch it as a Hollywood project) and now has a ton of obligations and can't afford to fulfill them, which is probably a huge driver of his paralysis and depression.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

At this point I would he rather just announce it is never going to come out and just pocket any scraps of money that by some miracle may remain. Just get it over with kinda thing.

Also, people got mad when he was hired by Cubicle 7 to do some RPG work several years into not delivering Far West if I remember correctly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think people were more mad that he'd poo poo up Cubical 7.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

theironjef posted:

His drawings can't stop masturbating to his drawings. Cool World is one thing, check out Miss America from Coonskin.

Edit: You know, I'm aware she's wearing a full-body leotard, but just to be on the safe side.

His drawings just aren't that good.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Atlas Hugged posted:

His drawings just aren't that good.

His drawings are mostly rotoscoping aka literally tracing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Bakshi's art is just so drat ugly

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Man yeah, far west sounds done. Just kill it my dude.

Thanks for the details!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Bakshi's art is just so drat ugly

Just think, someone got paid to produce this:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's talked about having the majority of the rules in a workable form as far back as 2013, but that hasn't materialized beyond partial releases of chapters.
It's worth pointing out that for a long time, the book was delayed because (he claimed) that he was stuck on the now-legendary "Chapter 9", which was to be the Gamemastering chapter. That was for about a year and a half, two years? Or thereabouts?

FMguru posted:

The real issue seems to be that he spent through the KS money (unconfirmed rumors had him trying to pitch it as a Hollywood project) and now has a ton of obligations and can't afford to fulfill them, which is probably a huge driver of his paralysis and depression.
Far West was supposed to be a huge transmedia property.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I like to think that anytime anyone describes their project as a "transmedia empire," what they're really saying is "don't invest any money in me."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So is Far West basically Star Citizen without the cult?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

no

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, the only thing that's unusual about Far West is the continued string of fairly specific promises which got broken repeatedly without any particular sense that GMS realized he was losing credibility.

And, yes, the time he started threatening to sue an empty field in another country, with at least half a dozen people gently trying to help him and explain that you can't do that for multiple reasons.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Star Citizen at least sells you ship jpegs you get to look at.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The only good transmedia property is a trans inclusive media property.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Far West was supposed to be a huge transmedia property.

I'm reminded of what happened with Mighty No. 9. Where the creator had already moved on to try and create his transmedia empire without the game actually having come out, since it was obviously going to be a smashing success worthy of multiple feature length animated films.

And we all know how that worked out.

Hel posted:

The only good transmedia property is a trans inclusive media property.

:yeah:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Star Citizen at least sells you ship jpegs you get to look at.

Far West has put out partial manuscripts with rules to backers. No idea how complete or useable the rules are in isolation though.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Understanding the continued hilarity of Far West is also helped by understanding the context outside of GMS's kickstarter-specific faceplants.

Skarka also had a huge reputation as an aggressive internet primadonna long before the Far West shitshow got rolling. For a long time, his online schtick was pretty openly aping that of Harlan Ellison, whose antics he often gushed about. The problem being that he had neither the critical nor commercial success of someone like Ellison, and he was doing this right as the consumers he liked to dunk on were becoming aware of how terrible of a gig RPG writing was. But he still tried to get everyone to treat him as a celebrity, and sparked flamewars for any stupid poo poo you can think of wherever he went. Before he was banned there, he had multiple flameouts on RPG.net, including a particularly hilarious one where someone got him to swear off the site forever just by registering a handle of "gary skarka" or some such.

The tl;dr being that there were plenty of people kind of hoping he would gently caress up Far West and be forced to eat some humble pie. I don't think anyone expected how well he would delivery on that schadenfreude though

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Desiden posted:

Before he was banned there, he had multiple flameouts on RPG.net, including a particularly hilarious one where someone got him to swear off the site forever just by registering a handle of "gary skarka" or some such.

Gareth Michael Skarka (no hyphen).

Thread here.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Far West has put out partial manuscripts with rules to backers. No idea how complete or useable the rules are in isolation though.

Spoiler Alert: They are not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cessna posted:

Gareth Michael Skarka (no hyphen).

Thread here.

You need an account to read thread there now.