Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I mean why shouldn't I get the new Sony FE 200-600? Who needs food anyway, right? Being slim is healthy.. The weather is nice this time of year who needs rent..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You can focus and then set your aperture, but it is fiddly. An ovf on a modern digital camera won't be of much use for getting focusing just right.

Some lenses can also be preset. There are two aperture rings and you set the one with clicks to where you want it, then the other turns from wide open to that aperture so you can adjust it quickly.

The real advantage is cost, especially if you just want to get your feet wet, but also an older lens might give your portraits an interesting look even if they don't perform as well as modern ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I mean why shouldn't I get the new Sony FE 200-600? Who needs food anyway, right? Being slim is healthy.. The weather is nice this time of year who needs rent..

Don't forget the extender! I saw a grizzly this summer and shot it at 600mm on a crop sensor and I still had to crop away 60% of the image. For things that can murder you no focal length is enough, apparently.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005

Fools Infinite posted:

You can focus and then set your aperture, but it is fiddly. An ovf on a modern digital camera won't be of much use for getting focusing just right.

Some lenses can also be preset. There are two aperture rings and you set the one with clicks to where you want it, then the other turns from wide open to that aperture so you can adjust it quickly.

The real advantage is cost, especially if you just want to get your feet wet, but also an older lens might give your portraits an interesting look even if they don't perform as well as modern ones.

If you're adapting old glass, you can get an adapter that lets you quickly change between wide open and the aperture set on the lens. I have a Canon FD to Fuji X adapter I use like that, with a Tokina 90mm macro lens.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or if you're using the old glass on a system that can still use the old manual glass, like Nikon F mount or Pentax K mount, and then aperture works as normal (outside really old stuff that might be different.)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Fools Infinite posted:

I got a brand new Helios 40 and it still has this system from the old 1970s Helios lenses (ones for later Zenits had an automatic diaphragm). That lens is a beast for natural light portraits - 85mm f/1.5, with the famous Biotar swirly bokeh. Manual focus with preselector aperture rings. It also weighs just short of a kilo. The KMZ factory restarted production a few years ago and you can get a new one in EF, F, or M42 mount for about $400 shipped.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

xzzy posted:

Don't forget the extender! I saw a grizzly this summer and shot it at 600mm on a crop sensor and I still had to crop away 60% of the image. For things that can murder you no focal length is enough, apparently.

Sounds like I need the 1.4x... and a 2x just in case.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

KilroyWasHere posted:

If you're adapting old glass, you can get an adapter that lets you quickly change between wide open and the aperture set on the lens. I have a Canon FD to Fuji X adapter I use like that, with a Tokina 90mm macro lens.

The shorter flange distance for mirrorless allows some interesting adapters, you can get them with macro focusing helicoids that still preserve infinity focus for some mounts, as well as focal reducers that work with some lenses.

Sadly you can't adapt as much to nikon f mount while preserving infinity focus. You should also be careful as I believe some of the older Nikon stuff needs to be modified or it can damage your camera.

Fools Infinite fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 15, 2019

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Any good reason not to buy the Canon M50 + 40mm 1:2,8 STM lens on prime day? I'm coming from a rarely used Sony A5000 from 2015 and want something nice in that budget range for travelling and/or future endeavors in photography.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schorsch posted:

Any good reason not to buy the Canon M50 + 40mm 1:2,8 STM lens on prime day? I'm coming from a rarely used Sony A5000 from 2015 and want something nice in that budget range for travelling and/or future endeavors in photography.

The M50 is fine enough, but the problem is that the EOS-M lens lineup is really minimal and kind of low-end compared with other mirrorless systems. Unless you want to use an adapter and increase the size, in which case, why have a mirrorless APS-C camera? The lenses are nicely built but not really inspiring and there's like 8 native M lenses total, which is a big reason I jumped to Fuji.

also the Canon 40 f/2.8 pancake isn't a native EOS-M lens so it'd require the EF adapter. The only M pancake is the 22 f/2 (which is also the best lens in the system).

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

harperdc posted:

The M50 is fine enough, but the problem is that the EOS-M lens lineup is really minimal and kind of low-end compared with other mirrorless systems. Unless you want to use an adapter and increase the size, in which case, why have a mirrorless APS-C camera? The lenses are nicely built but not really inspiring and there's like 8 native M lenses total, which is a big reason I jumped to Fuji.

also the Canon 40 f/2.8 pancake isn't a native EOS-M lens so it'd require the EF adapter. The only M pancake is the 22 f/2 (which is also the best lens in the system).

That's the one, don't know why I c&p the 40mm.
So the Fuji equivalent would be the x-t20? Or x-t100 if I don't care about 4k vids and am too inexperienced to notice the difference in the sensor quality?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I'm looking to get a portable hard drive to carry along so I'm not tethered to my desk when I need to pull up images in LR. What's a good inexpensive drive to pick up?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dudeabides posted:

I'm looking to get a portable hard drive to carry along so I'm not tethered to my desk when I need to pull up images in LR. What's a good inexpensive drive to pick up?

Buy a 256gb ssd and a 2.5” hd enclosure.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Dudeabides posted:

I've got one of these. I've gotten quite a bit of efficient use from it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have something like 8 of the Western Digitals XBenedict linked and they've been good. Not super fast, but work well enough for mobile use. Not sure anything 2.5" with a spinning drive will be faster anyway.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I've got a 3TB Western Digital that I use for all my heavy lifting and backup, but I'd like to not be chained to my desk so anything is a good suggestion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't buy spinning hard drives in this day and age (edit- not for portable use anyways), go SSD like a Samsung T5 or similar.

Or if you want some versatility and are willing to pay more, look at the My Passport Wifi. It's great for road trips because you slot an SD card in and it copies the whole thing to the SSD.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 16, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

xzzy posted:

Don't buy spinning hard drives in this day and age (edit- not for portable use anyways), go SSD like a Samsung T5 or similar.

Or if you want some versatility and are willing to pay more, look at the My Passport Wifi. It's great for road trips because you slot an SD card in and it copies the whole thing to the SSD.

God drat this is a cheap one. Anyone have experience with this?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A Samsung or Sandisk SSD in the same size is the same price or cheaper so I’m not sure why you’d go away from more of a name brand.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So just a quick sanity check. I'm going to be buying two lenses tonight second hand. Supposedly in good condition (I'll check for dust/scratches/mold/aperature focus and zoom function). Both Sony lenses for my A6000. A SELP18105G for 450, and a SEL55210 for 150 Canadian. From watching ads the last month, it's the cheapest 55-210 I've seen by 30 bucks. And the 18-105 usually is up about 600.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schorsch posted:

That's the one, don't know why I c&p the 40mm.
So the Fuji equivalent would be the x-t20? Or x-t100 if I don't care about 4k vids and am too inexperienced to notice the difference in the sensor quality?

I think the features/controls of the X-T20 would make it worthwhile as opposed to an X-T100 (autofocus especially) plus they're going for cheap because the X-T30 is out. There should still be deals for the 18-55 kit out there, otherwise pick your poison on the prime lenses and you'll be fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

One more question.

What makes this $500 lens

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-140mm-3-5-5-6G-Vibration-Reduction/dp/B00ECGX8FM

different than the lens in this kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-1577-DX-Format-18-140mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B01N7OJNAI

besides about two hundred bucks?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing that I see? It's a bundle discount.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Which also means getting second hand copies shouldn’t be difficult nor particularly expensive. Keh surprisingly seems to be out of stock but looks to have a guide price of around $210. Mph has ‘excellent’ condition ones listed for about $160, but I’m guessing that it’d be shipped from the uk which would add on.

Don’t think I’d pay $500 for a lens that usually gets bundled, but could be a good option at a much lower price.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Check eBay. There are always deals to be had on there. Obviously check to see the seller is legit and has a return policy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nikon 17-55 2.8s are about $500 used these days. I don't know how they compare to the tamrons that people normally recommend in that range, but it's quite a discount.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you're looking for those then you might as well just buy the sigma 18-35, because that is the best crop sensor lens in history

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's the smallest point-and-shoot camera on the market right now with a tilt-able screen / selfie screen?

I found this one but also looking for other recommendations - https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras/superzoom-cameras/dmc-sz10.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Reviews of the sz10 are not great. The RX100 VI is slightly smaller but I’d imagine 5-6 times as expensive so maybe not a great option. Camerasize.com is a good tool, also you can filter on B&H for flip up screens

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Those two websites are great, thank you for sharing.

I was looking into the SZ10 because I just wanted something very portable for my upcoming trip. I don't care for super high quality pictures but the selfie screen will be nice.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

if you're looking for those then you might as well just buy the sigma 18-35, because that is the best crop sensor lens in history

I’m mostly in it for the extra range over my 17-35, and I want to keep Nikon focusing direction (for now at least... someday I’m going to have to get used to the normal direction.)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Not really sure where this would go, but here seems as good a place as any.

So apparently Amazon sold a load of super expensive gear all for $98.98 for 20 minutes on prime day and are actually honouring it.

https://petapixel.com/2019/07/17/amazon-accidentally-sold-13000-camera-gear-for-100-on-prime-day/

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 18, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I feel physically sick reading that.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

I feel physically sick reading that.

Poor Bezo's. I don't know how he'll recover from this.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had Amazon orders turned around over pricing errors that were no more than $50. This is BS.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That guy who got the 600 f/4 should probably watch himself.

Still, that must be like winning the lottery.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
They'll just move a few full time positions into part time positions with no health insurance to make up for it, no long lasting effect on shareholder value.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

kefkafloyd posted:

That guy who got the 600 f/4 should probably watch himself.

Still, that must be like winning the lottery.

That's why I feel sick, I desire that lens...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

powderific posted:

Nothing that I see? It's a bundle discount.

It just seemed like a pretty steep discount.

My local shop had 'em in stock, so now I have a D5600 and 18-140 to play with. :D

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The closest thing I've come to this was finding some carbon fiber hockey sticks (regularly priced at $150-200) for $7 on amazon.

That lens though ... gently caress.