Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Z. Autobahn posted:

No, for better or worse, I think Warren has been pretty consistently sincere in her beliefs, even when they were awful.
I super agree her beliefs have been consistent, the discussion we're having is whether she believes the things she says out loud. AKA whether she is a grifter or not. Like I agree she has consistently been in favor of entrenching the wealth and power of capitalists, that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

No, for better or worse, I think Warren has been pretty consistently sincere in her beliefs, even when they were awful.

So you admit she’s a horrible racist peddling pseudoscience, interesting.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Z. Autobahn posted:

"Bernie is the only good candidate and everyone else is a monster" is a consistent and defensible stance. You don't have to defend loathsome creatures like Williamson just to stick it to the DNC.

what if they think its funny

have you considered the sockpuppet may not, in fact, be arguing in good faith

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

twodot posted:

I super agree her beliefs have been consistent, the discussion we're having is whether she believes the things she says out loud. AKA whether she is a grifter or not. Like I agree she has consistently be in favor of entrenching the wealth and power of capitalists, that's true.

Yes, I think Warren believes what she says, which included both lovely things like her foreign policy and good things like her desire to regulate wall street and push for many stronger social programs. Whereas Williamson is a grifter who literally believes in nothing but her own enrichment and power and is willing to harm anyone she has to to advance those.

Unoriginal Name posted:

what if they think its funny

have you considered the sockpuppet may not, in fact, be arguing in good faith

In the same way that ironic 4chan edgelording quickly gives way to actual genuine racism, ironic 'lol better than DNC' Williamson support has turned pretty quickly into genuine cheerleading

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ruminahui posted:

Even if these claims all turned out to be 100% true (lol) I’d still pick her over someone who was a card-carrying member of the Nazi GOP party

I’d like to choose the candidate that was never a Nazi Republican, please

Why is this always such a loving joke for people?

Quit being so loving ableist. Many people cannot function day to day without those meds, and others lack the immune system response to avoid at best lengthy hospital stays.

You can’t claim to support the goals Bernie Sanders espouses and then support this lovely grifter who gets paid to tells folks to throw out their meds. Leftists are supposed to be the ones who are evidence based and yet here we go with another round of “why should I give a poo poo about sick people and public health”.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

yuuuuuuuuuup, mix in some generic 'cities will have to adjust for this new paradigm' without any actual solutions other than 'mmmmaaaaayhaps a form of UBI (but no welfare)'
the liberal intelligentsia thinkpieces about class-based exterminationism are going to be wild

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yes, I think Warren believes what she says, which included both lovely things like her foreign policy and good things like her desire to regulate wall street and push for many stronger social programs. Whereas Williamson is a grifter who literally believes in nothing but her own enrichment and power and is willing to harm anyone she has to to advance those.
Ok so your actual opinion is "Warren consistently wants bad things which is fine" and also "Williamson constructed a weirdo religion around crystals for her personal benefit, and is using the weirdo crystal religion to sell books"? Like even assuming those facts as true, I'd still prefer a crystal grifter over a person who actually thinks Israel murdering people is good and appropriate.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

twodot posted:

Ok so your actual opinion is "Warren consistently wants bad things which is fine" and also "Williamson constructed a weirdo religion around crystals for her personal benefit, and is using the weirdo crystal religion to sell books"? Like even assuming those facts as true, I'd still prefer a crystal grifter over a person who actually thinks Israel murdering people is good and appropriate.

No my opinion is that Warren has serious flaws but nevertheless supports many good things, whereas Williamson is a huge liar who manages to be unique in supporting some awful things that not even other awful Dems support

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

twodot posted:

If your stance is "I want to murder less people" and one candidate says "I want to bomb hospitals" and another says "I'm a weirdo who thinks crystals heal people", then harm reduction demands you pick the obvious choice.
edit:

Whereas Warren who was a Republican deep into adulthood isn't an obvious and known grifter? If you've got the quote I asked for, offer it. If you don't gently caress off.

You keep equating your bullshit ableism with “it’s just a dumb weirdo who likes crystals” so you’re the one who gets to gently caress off. You don’t get to tell people to pray their AIDS away, that they don’t need meds and to not vaccinate.

Writers like Erin Biba and Jen Gunter have already covered this poo poo repeatedly.

That so-called leftists don’t accept this really shows we have a massive problem with anti-intellectualism and anti-science attitudes.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

Why is this always such a loving joke for people?

Quit being so loving ableist. Many people cannot function day to day without those meds, and others lack the immune system response to avoid at best lengthy hospital stays.

You can’t claim to support the goals Bernie Sanders espouses and then support this lovely grifter who gets paid to tells folks to throw out their meds. Leftists are supposed to be the ones who are evidence based and yet here we go with another round of “why should I give a poo poo about sick people and public health”.
If it makes you feel any better there is no way she's getting the nomination and I suspect most of the thread regulars here think the people trolling you over this are shitheads. You're right.

e: I mean imagine getting upset over anything twodot ever posted. He's one of the ones who is right sometimes by accident (this isn't one of those times) but not to ever be taken seriously. He's really dumb, comrade.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 18, 2019

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

Ahh, but have you considered that when Israel murders Palestinian children and women they do it with very expensive military equipment provided by the US? And that money flows to Warren’s wealthy donors?

Williamson is a grifter than isn’t killing Palestinian children or enriching the military industrial complex!

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

No my opinion is that Warren has serious flaws but nevertheless supports many good things, whereas Williamson is a huge liar who manages to be unique in supporting some awful things that not even other awful Dems support
Whereas Warren is a truth-teller that wishes deaths on Palestinians. Like call Williamson a liar as much as you want, but Warren truthfully wants people to die. I'll take the liar that at least pretends to not want deaths over the person explicitly saying "Yes Palestinians should die"

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I’d rather vote for peaceful healing crystal grifter than ex-republican weapons dealer

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm gonna have to start working on a process to selectively revoke vaccine-based immunity; a few of you could really use a few measles and your kids contracting polio.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
gently caress it, MSDOS is right.

That doesn’t mean that those of us on the left should tolerate anti-science attitudes. If we’re going to actually run a legitimate healthcare system that covers everyone efficiently, we’re going to have to embrace nationalizing medical research and development. If we’re ever going to deal with climate change, we’re going to need everything we can get our hands on and poo poo we don’t know exists yet. We can’t do that if we embrace bullshit conspiracies and treat research as just some nerd poo poo.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 18, 2019

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Solkanar512 posted:

Why in the gently caress do you keep diminishing and dismissing deadly practices like telling gay men with AIDS to pray it away, actively discourage depression screening in women or literal anti-vaxx conspiracies as just “weirdo crystal religion”?

This isn’t some religion. This isn’t some culture. This is literally telling people to kill themselves for MONEY. Why is public health so difficult for you to grasp?

have you considered that they grasp it perfectly fine and have a different set of values than you

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Why in the gently caress do you keep diminishing and dismissing deadly practices like telling gay men with AIDS to pray it away, actively discourage depression screening in women or literal anti-vaxx conspiracies as just “weirdo crystal religion”?
Possibly I'm an idiot. Do you have figures on the number of people that have been killed by American foreign policy supported by Warren, versus the number of people killed by policy supported by Williamson? My gut reaction is that Warren is way more responsible for deaths than Williamson, but I haven't done the research.
edit:
Like what in the world is this argument "Warren earnestly desires the death of children, whereas Williamson is lying about not wanting the death of children". Ok, you might be right, but I'm still going the with the person who is at least pretending to be anti-child death.

twodot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 18, 2019

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Solkanar512 posted:

This isn’t some religion. This isn’t some culture. This is literally telling people to kill themselves for MONEY. Why is public health so difficult for you to grasp?

I’m pretty sure Republicans are trying to kill ur healthcare. Maybe try reaching across the aisle to them?

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It’s going to be fun watching Warren fans rationalize her positive statements and quotes about Reagan and republicans throughout the 80s and 90s during the general election (after she ratfucks Bernie). All Trump will have to do is read them off at his rallies while calling her Lyin’ Pocahontas and boom! 4 more years of Trump.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i really don't get how people just erase warren's republican past, especially when they have consistently raised concerns about bernie's on social justice, etc. that warren was ok with republicans until they became too crony capitalist for her says a lot about her considering all the awful poo poo republicans were up to during her life that she just didn't seem to care about (and most certainly didn't force a change in her beliefs)

as for williamson, i'm not sure why people are melting down about a joke candidate that is not gaining any traction at all

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Condiv posted:

i really don't get how people just erase warren's republican past, especially when they have consistently raised concerns about bernie's on social justice, etc. that warren was ok with republicans until they became too crony capitalist for her says a lot about her considering all the awful poo poo republicans were up to during her life that she just didn't seem to care about (and most certainly didn't force a change in her beliefs)

as for williamson, i'm not sure why people are melting down about a joke candidate that is not gaining any traction at all

She's been in the senate since 2012, as the 2nd most leftist senator after Bernie.

Service in the senate and what she's done there or hasn't done, is going to count a hundred fold more in people's eyes then what they believed as a private citizen.

When Reagan ran for President, the GOP didn't care he used to be a Democrat, they looked at his service as governor of California and liked what they saw.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

She's been in the senate since 2012, as the 2nd most leftist senator after Bernie.

Service in the senate and what she's done there or hasn't done, is going to count a hundred fold more in people's eyes then what they believed as a private citizen.

When Reagan ran for President, the GOP didn't care he used to be a Democrat, they looked at his service as governor of California and liked what they saw.

Ah yes, our educated 21st century voters will have a nuanced look at Warren’s record in the Senate and will vote accordingly.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames
lol imagine the kind of person you have to be to get bent out of shape that a candidate saying "love is the answer" is polling at 2%

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames
your choices are the good one, the rapist from mordor, the cop, the republican, and you aunt who reads eckhart tolle and smokes weed with you at thanksgiving. wow weird that last one is your 2nd choice, that's really appalling

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Charlz Guybon posted:

what was her service in the senate wrt social justice issues? she seems to be ok on lgbtq issues, which helps the fact she supported a party that let the aids crisis grow unchecked cause it was a gay disease and said behavior wasn't enough to switch her party affiliation, but we're talking about someone who has been claimed to be better on racial justice and social justice than bernie, and I don't see that her record is actually particularly strong on that

I'll easily concede that warren is the 2nd most leftist senator when you're looking at economic policy, but we spent all of 2015-2016 hearing that wasn't enough from bernie, and he was a one trick pony, and now we have warren who's career seems to be even more focused on economic justice and yet somehow that's not a problem and she's supposed to be even better on social justice than bernie despite not having anywhere near the record he does.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm not sure America is ready for an Avatar-loving president yet. Let's take baby steps this time and settle for whichever candidate has the most positive opinion of Jar Jar Binks.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sundae posted:

I'm not sure America is ready for an Avatar-loving president yet. Let's take baby steps this time and settle for whichever candidate has the most positive opinion of Jar Jar Binks.

That would likely be Yang. Veto.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sundae posted:

That's probably Trump.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's probably Trump.

Trump's favorite character's got to be Jabba

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Condiv posted:

Yeah but one nerd sarcastically said they'd support the joke weirdo over the person who said she was a loving Republican from 1967-1992 and I will absolutely pretend to melt down until this crime against Good Posting is corrected.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 18, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

“Hey guys I like to spend my time sarcastically dog piling on anyone who doesn’t support Bernie Sanders’ health plan but I don’t understand the first thing about public health because worrying about marginalized groups is dumb nerd poo poo”.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress off with this whataboutism bullshit. I’m not supporting Warren, I’m loving tired of seeing people who claim to be progressive not give a poo poo about public health or science in general. This isn’t funny or “nerd poo poo”, these are people’s loving lives.

it's nerd poo poo and you're not funny, so 1 out of 2

not bad.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Condiv posted:

Well the one guy started posting about Yang being his second choice and then everyone piled on him while saying she was a much better one and then the same argument about her that happened like 20 pages back happened again. We've come full circle.

There just aren't any good second choices. Warren would probably be mine (at least in terms of one that has any shot at winning) and I wouldn't exactly be excited about it for all the reasons mentioned ITT.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

“Hey guys I like to spend my time sarcastically dog piling on anyone who doesn’t support Bernie Sanders’ health plan but I don’t understand the first thing about public health because worrying about marginalized groups is dumb nerd poo poo”.

It's very simple. If you believe that foreigners lives are worth the same as any American's, then your second choice is the crazy crystal lady. If you believe American lives are worth more, then your number 2 is the republican. Because there's absolutely no way in hell that antivaxxers are killing more people than American foreign policy, and if we're taking both candidates at their words, Williamson is anti war, Warren is neutral to war at best

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My 2nd choice if Bernie can't win is "develop a drinking problem".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Solkanar512 posted:

you don't seem particularly worried about marginalized groups though. people have pointed out to you that candidates with actual pull are advocating for policies that have actual known and measurable effects on marginalized groups and yet you spend an inordinate amount of time melting down about a joke candidate with no pull having a purely hypothetical effect on marginalized groups.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1151835952790347777?s=21

A not-terrible Nate Silver article.

Bernie needs to keep hammering health-care as a platform plank since voters really care about this and he is clearly the best at it. I thought his speech yesterday was excellent and I like that he’s calling out Biden for his obvious bullshit lies on M4A.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Really does seem to be getting to the point where even a lot of committed liberals are starting to realise how terrible so much of the party actually is and how disingenuous and cowardly the people they're told are so brave and principled actually are, especially when compared to actual leftists. And that the Republicans consider them all equally commie scum and have no plans to spare any of them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Terror Sweat posted:

It's very simple. If you believe that foreigners lives are worth the same as any American's, then your second choice is the crazy crystal lady.

Way to just pretend Mike Gravel doesn't even exist

I mean sure he's a gimmick candidate but, williamson

She also loves the pro-colonialism, pro-rape movie Avatar:

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/10163024671

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

tylersayten posted:

Blasphemy. The Gospel of Yangism will defeat the pagan witch doctor and her grotesque, voodoo politics.

Singularitarians are creeps hth.

tylersayten posted:

Even though Yang’s UBI is next to poo poo, I strongly advise everyone to read his book The War on Normal People - it’s a loving sobering alarm bell about the coming tidal wave of automation over the next 10 years. This is going to have a PROFOUND affect on politics and daily life.

Oh he's the new Jorp. That explains it.