Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
does this count?

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1151532812522205186?s=20
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1151789036031356930?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Stuart James is a cretin.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
there is not that much football to write about

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That business model sounds ridiculous and I have no idea how they think they will make their money back. A paid subscription for premier league news?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

skasion posted:

That business model sounds ridiculous and I have no idea how they think they will make their money back. A paid subscription for premier league news?

No, they cover basically every sport. But to answer your question: they'll keep expanding and burning through investor cash until they go public and lay off half their writers.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
They've also got James Pearse from The Echo, I think. Taylor and Kay will be big losses.

If they have any sort of into offer, I will probably consider it. Not sure how successful it will be as people aren't used to paying for that sort of thing over here, but The Guardian is the only good source I know of that isn't behind a paywall.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Who was the Guardian writer with that haircut? Did he go over?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mickolution posted:

They've also got James Pearse from The Echo, I think. Taylor and Kay will be big losses.

If they have any sort of into offer, I will probably consider it. Not sure how successful it will be as people aren't used to paying for that sort of thing over here, but The Guardian is the only good source I know of that isn't behind a paywall.

They have a free trial.

I just don’t get the business model. Online sports journalism is not a new concept, and news outlets generally find it difficult to survive behind a paywall. Their solution seems to be that they’re going to pay big name writers more to write for them, but I doubt there is really much of a market for what they’re selling, especially when they will be competing against free services.

I’m also going to be interested to see whether Ornstein keeps his sources or if the clubs just choose another journalist who isn’t paywalled to be their outlet for selectively leaked transfer news

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Who was the Guardian writer with that haircut? Did he go over?

Metro reporter Jamie Sanderson?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

blue footed boobie posted:

They have a free trial.

I just don’t get the business model. Online sports journalism is not a new concept, and news outlets generally find it difficult to survive behind a paywall. Their solution seems to be that they’re going to pay big name writers more to write for them, but I doubt there is really much of a market for what they’re selling, especially when they will be competing against free services.

I’m also going to be interested to see whether Ornstein keeps his sources or if the clubs just choose another journalist who isn’t paywalled to be their outlet for selectively leaked transfer news

The same made up bullshit but this time you have to pay for it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

hadji murad posted:

Metro reporter Jamie Sanderson?

Tbh I don’t really care if he did or not it’s just an excuse to post this haircut again

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

How much is it monthly after the free trial?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

Incoming paycuts for people at Fiat again then

beaten to this

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
United: “give us 75m for Lukaku”

Also United: “take 62m for Auba”

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
All of the publications who have lost writers will just hire younger journalists who can probably write just as well and make up just as much bullshit as the ones who have left

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tbh I don’t really care if he did or not it’s just an excuse to post this haircut again

The destro/bud spencer image but this and el Shaarawy. I lol every time.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Who’s Juventus selling to pay for this exorbitance

Probably the rest of the missiles the police didn’t find.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

blue footed boobie posted:

There are fewer and fewer good free services, though. The Guardian & The Independent are the only ones I can think of, really and The Independent website is awful. As for The Guardian, there are only a few of their writers who are actually any good and one of them (at least) is off to The Athletic. I remember people saying they wouldn't pay for Sky when the PL started or Spotify when they started but convenience won out.

Not saying it will be good or a success, but it would be interesting to get a bunch of good writers in the one place for a set fee.

It seems like they have had some success in the US, so maybe they'll run the UK stuff at a loss for the moment.

Raffles posted:

How much is it monthly after the free trial?

They haven't announced the prices yet. I saw someone on Twitter guess it would be £8pm. In the US, it's $4.99 or $9.99 depending on how long you sign up for.

https://theathletic.com/checkout/?plan_id=46&pc=hp7dben

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 18, 2019

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Full price is about $60/year. And they usually have sales/discount code for new user. They recently had a 40% off sale for new users during the July 4th weekend.

As for content, The Athletic is more about quality over clickbait articles. They usually have some good long form articles and in depth profile/analysis/feature. It somewhat is successful in the US, at least through reputation. There was an interview couple years ago where they mention that they have a retention of 90% of its subscriber.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
this thread's reaction is basically the hockey thread's reaction whenever the athletic first started, now like half the articles people link are athletic articles

of note: i have never had a subscription and so have never read any of them

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Imagine paying for a website.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i feel like these journalist have their sources because they work for the big publications. so leaks will just go to their replacements.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

i feel like these journalist have their sources because they work for the big publications. so leaks will just go to their replacements.

Nah, decent journalists develop sources on their own and tend to keep them when they change outlets. Some of these people are definitely just "the guy who writes about football for the Sun" or whatever and will probably flop without that, but the likes of Ornstein are not going to struggle.

E: Maybe also worth noting that two of the Athletic's biggest investors are Founders Fund (Peter Thiel) and the Chernin Group (Barstool owners), in case you're particular about who you give your money to.

wicka fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 18, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1151869003926777858
:shepface:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

Nah, decent journalists develop sources on their own and tend to keep them when they change outlets. Some of these people are definitely just "the guy who writes about football for the Sun" or whatever and will probably flop without that, but the likes of Ornstein are not going to struggle.

I agree with this - I think the better ones all have personal relationships with their contacts as opposed to being sort of managed by a business. poo poo ones will always just be associated with whatever publication they are working for and that's it.

bewbies posted:

this thread's reaction is basically the hockey thread's reaction whenever the athletic first started, now like half the articles people link are athletic articles

of note: i have never had a subscription and so have never read any of them

This is what happened to me when ESPN+ became a thing. Once I caved I began to really enjoy it; it's worth the 5 bucks a month. I have no idea if the Athletic is a decent publication but if they provide the content I like then whatever.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I feel like the Athletic is worth $5/mo for their existing soccer content - granted a lot of that is MLS reporting that many people wouldn't give a poo poo about - so I'm glad all these other journos will be included now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

This is what happened to me when ESPN+ became a thing. Once I caved I began to really enjoy it; it's worth the 5 bucks a month. I have no idea if the Athletic is a decent publication but if they provide the content I like then whatever.

I was so mad about ESPN+ initially but it is absolutely worth it. I'm pretty sure I could sit down and watch uninterrupted live football until I die. They have so many leagues.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
I'd possibly pay if they got the Guardian Cartoonist and maybe Joan Cornella to do strips about football fans killing themselves.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, I don't need football coverage enough to give money to Thiel and Barstool

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Barstool, no. I don’t agree with Thiel’s politics but he did bankrupt Gawker so there’s that

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Liverpool have lowkey signed Harvey Elliott from Fulham but aren't talking about it because of compensation with Fulham. Apparently he's going to train with the first team and go from there.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Barstool, no. I don’t agree with Thiel’s politics but he did bankrupt Gawker so there’s that

Uh that was really bad

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Uh that was really bad

Shutting down Gawker can only be seen as a positive

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gawker was good as hell, but even if you disagree, you surely can't congratulate Thiel for allowing the remaining blogs to survive and later employ Billy Haisley.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

Gawker was good as hell, but even if you disagree, you surely can't congratulate Thiel for allowing the remaining blogs to survive and later employ Billy Haisley.

Idk who that is because I don’t read any of their blogs, but Gawker publicly thumbed their noses at a judge and rightfully got an absolute curb stomping as a result. The same site that regularly tore down other sites for posting leaked pics and videos did the exact same thing but it was ok because it was the Hulks wrinkly body

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Big Huski Boi posted:

Haisley is so awful, Paez-Pumar is a much better writer and should write all of their football articles

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Lot of hot transfer talk ITT

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

My favourite transfer was when Peter Thiel helped transfer hundreds of million dollars to big roidy racist Hulk Hogan's bank account

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol i hope this is real because way to piss off a bunch of players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Betis are about to buy Fekir for €30m, at which point Betis will agree to a deal with Spurs for Lo Celso.