Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Edge & Christian posted:

Spitfire is still the original Spitfire, youthful thanks to being a vampire.

She also first appeared in Roy Thomas's Invaders comic in 1976, so it depends on how you count your Golden Age/WWII superheroes.

Yeah, a lot of Cap's World War 2 buddies are retcons. Hell, the Invaders as a team were made up in the late 60s to tie Namor and Cap into Marvel continuity. The All-Winners Squad were brought back into continuity much later, and I think the Cap they were with wasn't even Steve Rogers.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kind of? The AWS was brought back as the post-war version of the war-time Invaders retcon, so their canonical war-time adventures I think were all moved over to being done under the Invaders moniker, and then of course that meant that Steve Rogers was never part of the AWS because he was frozen during the final days of WWII so it was like the Patriot or someone similar taking up the mantle.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Has The Lizard (Dr. Curt Conners) ever been to space? Secret Wars does not count.

I'm only asking this because this old Silver Surfer comic I'm reading has a lizard guy named Captain Reptile that lives in a dark pocket of space where his species were ignored by the Celestials and thus evolved normally into sentience. He hates Humanoids and thinks the Eternals have an agenda to be evolving all these mammel species. I thought it'd be cool if those characters meet and go on cosmic space adventures

get komodo and sauron in on this and I'm down

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roth posted:

Very important question: Why does Tony wear his Iron Man helmet in the hot tub?

Relatedly, the first part of that issue has so much thrumming erotic subtext between Cap, Tony and Thor, I almost didn't believe I was reading a Marvel comic. Strong approval of Aaron's willingness to introduce those vibes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

You're editing of my post makes it look like I said I never clamored for killing Hitler. I just want to point out I applaud ever time Hitler dies.

That wasn't my intention, just to make that clear.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

That wasn't my intention, just to make that clear.

I didn't think it was, just thought it was funny.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I've seen it mentioned that the current X-Men run is one of the worst ever. Can somebody give me the rundown of why it's so bad?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

I've seen it mentioned that the current X-Men run is one of the worst ever. Can somebody give me the rundown of why it's so bad?

They killed Rahne Sinclair in a very terrible "trans panic defense" metaphor, and then it proceeded to get worse.

Edit: this is just in Uncanny. What I've heard and the small part I've read of Age of X-Man is good to okay.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gavok posted:

Most of the art has been pretty bad; Larroca's best days are in the past. Besides that, there has been a death for each issue, starting with Blindfold's suicide (and later the aforementioned Wolfsbane death), most of them for no good reason besides an attempt to be grimdark.

Also, the plot is just bad; it has a pretty bad tone that doesn't match the rest of the X-Books nor the rest of Marvel's books. And on top of that, the plot has a very dumb anti-vaccination theme, that may be unintentional, but comes at a very wrong time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Reading between the lines, the writer (Rosenberg) may have been told that Hickman was coming on in a years time and that everything would be undone. So he set about doing some sort of grim, bleak take on the X-Men.

Like say what you will about Austen's run, he at least seemed to enjoy what he was doing and liked most of the X-Men.
(Why else would you give Nightcrawler two penises if you didn't like him.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Question IRL posted:

Reading between the lines, the writer (Rosenberg) may have been told that Hickman was coming on in a years time and that everything would be undone. So he set about doing some sort of grim, bleak take on the X-Men.

Like say what you will about Austen's run, he at least seemed to enjoy what he was doing and liked most of the X-Men.
(Why else would you give Nightcrawler two penises if you didn't like him.)

If I ever get to write the X-Men, mark my words, I'll slap a third one on down there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Archyduchess posted:

If I ever get to write the X-Men, mark my words, I'll slap a third one on down there.
Is that a secondary or a tertiary mutation?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

He was born with one dick, it just kind of happened one day, unrelated to his mutation

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

get komodo and sauron in on this and I'm down

Sssssspace Force Sssssix

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Could someone give a quick synopsis of what 'Age of X-Man' is?

Is it another 'whoops someone screwed up the past!' like Age of Apocalypse or 'whoops someone rewrote reality!' like Age of X, or is it something else entirely?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LadyPictureShow posted:

Is it another 'whoops someone screwed up the past!' like Age of Apocalypse or 'whoops someone rewrote reality!' like Age of X, or is it something else entirely?

Nate Grey tried to build a utopian reality and hosed it up. It's a rewrite like Age of X but thematically it was intended to mirror Age of Apocalypse as like a "what if AoA but not lovely" sort of a deal.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gotcha, thanks!

Given the titles I saw, like Prisoner X, am I right in assuming they stopped all X-titles for a few months to run these like they did when Age of Apocalypse came out?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

LadyPictureShow posted:

A way to kill time before Hickman's run starts.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Given the titles I saw, like Prisoner X, am I right in assuming they stopped all X-titles for a few months to run these like they did when Age of Apocalypse came out?

Uncanny is still going, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you like mutant snuff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd only recommend it if you hate mutant stuff myself

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I kind of like Age of X-Man, but mostly because it's a change of pace from the standard alternate realities which usually involve the bad guys winning or some sort of violent takeover, whereas the fiction created by the person who created this alternate reality is one of total peace and harmony by denying familial or romantic love, mostly because the dude creating it is a cloned volcel whose first real pseudo-romantic relationship was with a demonic clone of his mom that turned out to be a replica of the demonic clone of his mom that he created with his mind.

Admittedly this is better than most people's justification for saying FAMILIES AND GIRLFRIENDS ARE BULLSHIT, but it's still a fresh spin on Dystopian Alternate Reality and the people working on the books did some fun stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Edge & Christian posted:

I kind of like Age of X-Man, but mostly because it's a change of pace from the standard alternate realities which usually involve the bad guys winning or some sort of violent takeover, whereas the fiction created by the person who created this alternate reality is one of total peace and harmony by denying familial or romantic love, mostly because the dude creating it is a cloned volcel whose first real pseudo-romantic relationship was with a demonic clone of his mom that turned out to be a replica of the demonic clone of his mom that he created with his mind.

Admittedly this is better than most people's justification for saying FAMILIES AND GIRLFRIENDS ARE BULLSHIT, but it's still a fresh spin on Dystopian Alternate Reality and the people working on the books did some fun stuff.

I never thought about that aspect of Nate Grey's character.

Suddenly that fanfic* I read in the early 2000's where Nate has sex with Rachel Grey in the midst of a larger orgy makes more sense.

* = I believe it was called the Submission Agenda. It was an awful story where the main self insert guy had the power to enslave women by having sex with them. He keeps enslaving people until he gets the Phoenix by which point he takes over the Earth. I'm fairly sure the ending was Galatcus coming to town to stomp him out and he uses cosmic shenanigans to remake the entire Marvel universe...without any super powered stuff. Which is both hilarious and depressing at the same time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LadyPictureShow posted:

Gotcha, thanks!

All the titles ended except for Uncanny - which is focusing on the characters who were 'out of action' during the lead-in to Age of X-Man and so didn't get caught up in Nate's whole "gently caress this I'm gonna make my own reality with blackjack and a complete lack of hookers" whammy. It's also Very Not Good, one of the most joyless and miserable runs on Uncanny that I can remember, so I don't recommend it.

(that's a semi-important point, btw; X-Man didn't overwrite reality, really, he essentially built his own little pocket reality. As far as anyone else knows, all the characters who got spirited away into Age of X-Man actually got blown up)

The event was absolutely intended to thematically mirror House of M more than anything else, down to the logos of some of the books (The Amazing Nightcrawler was intended to hit the same sort of thematic notes as the Amazing Spider-Man issues of House of M, right down to the logo; they both deal with themes of 'being really famous in this alternate reality despite maybe not really deserving it,' et cetera), but in terms of how this alternate reality was brought into existence it's probably closer to Age of X's 'alternate reality bubble' than anything else.

Also it turns out that any of the post-Age-of-X-Man stuff that might be being set up in the event is entirely irrelevant because Hickman is gonna be doing his Hickman thing. So that's... y'know, a thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will be less pissed if they just don't use Blob for awhile rather than use him and ignore what happened with Blob in Age of X.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really liked how the dystopia in Age of X-Man had some high points for its citizens. Like, because Blob is afforded decency, autonomy and respect, he's this super nice erudite guy instead of a violent jerk who lashes out at the people around him. Those few good points make the early issues way more compelling.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I know this didn't happen, but someone tell me it didn't happen;

When I was like 11 and I hung out in comic shops all the time, my comic shop guy told me about when Wolverine was feral living in the woods in a comic he ate a baby. This didn't ever actually happen right? I just remembered him telling me that.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Unmature posted:

I know this didn't happen, but someone tell me it didn't happen;

When I was like 11 and I hung out in comic shops all the time, my comic shop guy told me about when Wolverine was feral living in the woods in a comic he ate a baby. This didn't ever actually happen right? I just remembered him telling me that.
😐

sooooo,
he wasn't feral, he was possessed by a demon, and it was non-canon but
What If? vol 2 #6, "What If... The X-Men had lost Inferno?"

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cubone posted:

😐

sooooo,

Jesus Christ

The feral part may have been me confusing it with him also telling me that when Wolverine had the adamantium removed his healing factor went into super drive and he got hit by a semi truck and got right back up. Which frankly feels like how his healing factor just works these days normally.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unmature posted:

Jesus Christ

The feral part may have been me confusing it with him also telling me that when Wolverine had the adamantium removed his healing factor went into super drive and he got hit by a semi truck and got right back up. Which frankly feels like how his healing factor just works these days normally.

I vaguely remember in the mid-90s(?) he went like, super-feral and for some reason the artist stopped drawing him with a nose.

Speaking of Wolverine, did they ever dial his healing factor back down? I remember back in Fall of The Mutants era, Wolverine was effed up and out of action for several issues because Blob say on him. Last I saw he was like, fully regenerating from a Nuclear blast in two panels.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I vaguely remember in the mid-90s(?) he went like, super-feral and for some reason the artist stopped drawing him with a nose.

Speaking of Wolverine, did they ever dial his healing factor back down? I remember back in Fall of The Mutants era, Wolverine was effed up and out of action for several issues because Blob say on him. Last I saw he was like, fully regenerating from a Nuclear blast in two panels.

Now he can walk around as a skeleton and regrow his face in minutes and poo poo. He used to lay in a hospital bed for whole issues from a ninja fight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wolverine's healing factor still seems to vary from writer to writer. Whereas Deadpool's healing factor has been cranked up to where he's basically a Looney Tune.

Healing factors are weird.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If healing factors in comics fascinate you, check out Wolverine: The Best There Is. It's a miniseries that pulls some ocean trench-deep cuts up for supporting characters, and it's deeply weird and gory and a bit shaggy around the edges but I got a huge kick out of the ideas and situations in it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Is that the one where the Punisher runs him over with a steamroller?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, after Magneto pulled out his adamantium, he stopped wearing a full mask (instead going with just a bandanna) and his nose mostly disappeared. He also get edgy lettering.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pastry of the Year posted:

If healing factors in comics fascinate you, check out Wolverine: The Best There Is. It's a miniseries that pulls some ocean trench-deep cuts up for supporting characters, and it's deeply weird and gory and a bit shaggy around the edges but I got a huge kick out of the ideas and situations in it.

This entire comic is absolutely psychotic and is a must read for Wolverine bullshit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

Wolverine's healing factor still seems to vary from writer to writer. Whereas Deadpool's healing factor has been cranked up to where he's basically a Looney Tune.

Healing factors are weird.

When he was depowered in Genosha, it was pretty cool. He bled all over when he popped his claws, and he almost died from adamantium poisoning.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Wolverine this is going to be one of those "I remember reading a comic when I was a kid and I am going to throw a lot of vague keywords your way so please help me find the comic". I don't know if it was a Wolverine comic or an X-Men comic but I remember a Wolverine comic that was done in a very creepy noir-ish style where Wolverine was having one of those "are my memories fake or real" phases and there was a name he kept remembering and he wasn't sure if he had to find the person attached to the name and kill that person or if that person was supposed to help him. All he remembered was the name (which I can't remember) and that name kind of made him crazy too.
Now I am probably remembering this comic being I was probably 10 or younger when I read it, but I remember it had some very weird scratchy art with lots of reds and browns. I am mostly interested in finding this comic again because I am curious who the artist was (I think it was Bachallo because it was kind of his style but it could have also been someone like Fabry with exaggeration and scratchiness of the art) and also want to know how the story ended (yes I have been curious about the ending for the last....20 odd years.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cubone posted:

😐

sooooo,

Since you gave the issue #, I looked it up.

He just looks so fuckin' jazzed to eat that baby.

E: speaking of Wolverine's healing factor, sorta, I forgot this happened in that What-If:

Baron Mordo killed Wolverine, and one of the demons possessed his skeleton to kill Madeline Pryor.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 18, 2019

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

In early Claremont Mystique was fighting extreamaly realistic robotic clones of the X-men in Arcade's Murderworld and took out Wolverine by stabbing him in the jugular noting that Wolverine's healing factor wouldn't kick in before the blood loss killed him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sinners Sandwich posted:

In early Claremont Mystique was fighting extreamaly realistic robotic clones of the X-men in Arcade's Murderworld and took out Wolverine by stabbing him in the jugular noting that Wolverine's healing factor wouldn't kick in before the blood loss killed him.

They seem to have walked that back. Now it's 'anything that doesn't kill him instantly.' Of course Mystique could have just been guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

They seem to have walked that back. Now it's 'anything that doesn't kill him instantly.'

Bullshit. He survived getting a nuke dropped on him twice and has regenerated from a skeleton multiple times. You could instantly turn every cell in his body into ash but one and he'd get over it.