Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oasx posted:

I couldn’t disagree more, telling people what episodes of a tv show to watch is terrible, and should never be done. You wouldn’t tell people to skip chapters of a book either.

I agree that last weeks episode was a little weak, but it wasn’t bad, and it is certainly important to the overall story.

Personally I would have been happier if I skipped that one and since this week's episode started with David saying he'd like to keep trying I wouldn't be missing the plot either.
But you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

to me the whole lenny vs david sequence was like inner monologue of david's personalities fighting.
Switch was definitely under david's control when he was passing well being to others she passed out as well.
I wonder if we are getting somekind of reveal after david's war against division 3.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not sure why, but I started to think that Farouk was making moves in a long con this previous episode. He seemed eager to drag people that were not Syd into the "time between time" for his own purpose, after he alone tidily handled the blue meanies on the air ship. I wonder if he's somehow looking for a back door into the sort of power that Switch possesses, and this is his real play?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hatelull posted:

Not sure why, but I started to think that Farouk was making moves in a long con this previous episode. He seemed eager to drag people that were not Syd into the "time between time" for his own purpose, after he alone tidily handled the blue meanies on the air ship. I wonder if he's somehow looking for a back door into the sort of power that Switch possesses, and this is his real play?

he definitely created a situation where he looked like the hero, saving them with a scimitar and whatnot

and presumably no one there realizes the reason all the meanies disappeared is because they were reminded that david is god

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That VFX article is cool, I had no idea the vermillions have so much prosthetic work on them

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

By popular demand posted:

Personally I would have been happier if I skipped that one

But you also know now that you don’t like the episode and so you can skip it in the future without missing anything.
But someone who is watching the show for the first time might love that episode, taste is subjective after all.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

It's me, I'm the guy who thought that episode was interesting and worthwhile.

(although admittedly nowhere near the best)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

why the gently caress would you skip eps on a first watch, because some guide told you to? watch the fuckin eps and make up your own mind god drat

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ersatz posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who thought that episode was interesting and worthwhile.

(although admittedly nowhere near the best)

:same: I found it pretty compelling overall. Creepy, but appropriately so.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Wafflecopper posted:

why the gently caress would you skip eps on a first watch, because some guide told you to? watch the fuckin eps and make up your own mind god drat

Knowing myself, I would have promised myself to skip episode 303 but then I'd watch it immediately before or after 304 because I suck at prioritising my free time.
But in that case I'd have no one to blame but myself, which somehow sucks less than expecting a good episode and getting disappointed.
I make no case for my taste in comforting thinking.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Such a good monster concept, in a show where the main characters are basically gods it takes real skill to have something actually scary happening

night slime
May 14, 2014
I liked the hospital episode a lot. I rewatched the first episode to look for parallels and noticed some interesting ones. There were obvious ones like cherry pie, sketching, etc, but there was this scene I didn't even remember where David is wheeled around in a catatonic state after taking his medicine. The audio begins distorting and his eyes are slits, then Syd comes into view and he jumps out of his chair, mirroring how Gabrielle suddenly is at the window after being "healed" by Charles.

Some other subtle ones are the scene with Charles and Gabrielle looking out the window, similar to the one where Syd and David do the kissing illusion thing. They both use their powers to get out of the hospital, with David's "escape" being accidental and tragic from killing someone, while Xavier's is intentional and relatively benign. David is in the mental hospital because he attempted suicide, while Xavier is in it because he made a person commit suicide, and I think "kill yourself" is thought by both characters in dialogue. Gabrielle is in the hospital and has "no one" because of the concentration camps, while Syd is loosely in a similar predicament because of her isolating mutant power.

By the end of each episode, someone else's powers have assisted David "kill" someone by accident. Lenny is killed by the Syd body switch and only continues to exist as a consciousness, and Gabrielle is catatonic now from Switch traveling in time. Both Charles and David are arguably better off before they decide to go off to meet other mutants, maybe David less clearly so.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Chalks posted:

Such a good monster concept, in a show where the main characters are basically gods it takes real skill to have something actually scary happening

I thought about that too and how it was like ten times more exciting than the X-Men movies where every threat is conceived to have Professor X be useless in assisting it because he's dead/powerless/comatose/under a delusion.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wonder if Farouk was leading the others on somehow with the astral plane thing, or if David is just that much stronger than him.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

I wonder if Farouk was leading the others on somehow with the astral plane thing, or if David is just that much stronger than him.

Well, Farouk and David both killed exactly one time demon, so... Who knows what Farouk might have been able to pull off given some more time?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Well, Farouk and David both killed exactly one time demon, so... Who knows what Farouk might have been able to pull off given some more time?

For some reason they thought David was way more of a threat. I guess they figured they could beat Farouk with numbers in turn based time but david owned them in continuous time by being active in every turn simultaneously if you want like a videogame analogy.

Episode kind of reminded me of that Buffy episode from way back in the day where they can't talk and these weird monsters are doing surgery on people. Curious to see what the long term effects of the time loss is. Also like that Deep Space Nine where Sisko gets stuck in time and is haunting Jake with Lenny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Mostly enjoyed the show but them talking about monsters that eat time just made me think of the somewhat decent Stephen King short story The Langoliers, which also was a terrible movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2LpM3gNj8

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
On the less regulated forums the fan base for this show is unbearable. It feels even worse than Skylar from Breaking Bad because the leaps in logic are even greater.

It's my favorite show. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

This was actually addressed in the original comics, though in a way that makes it clear that it's a Chris Claremont comic from 30+ years ago:

(Uncanny X-Men #161, the first mention/appearance of Gabrielle Haller)

(immediately after this kiss she is kidnapped by Nazis who know that she is the key to finding all of Hitler's lost gold. Magneto and Xavier team up to rescue her from Baron Von Strucker and his band of underground Nazis and the flashback ends)

She's next mentioned about a year later in New Mutants #1, where she appears for one page:

And then this plotline is dropped and left dangling for twenty four issues because that's how Chris Claremont plotted.

Oh yeah I forgot, because it was the mid-1980s, David saw his adoptive dad he thought was his real dad get killed by Arab Terrorists and "got Autism" from it.

PTASD

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wow! I haven't felt tingles of fear up and down my back like that since the introduction of the Weeping Angels. Those Time Eaters are supremely creepy. Uggggh. My skin's still crawling.
Excellent job as usual.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

B33rChiller posted:

Wow! I haven't felt tingles of fear up and down my back like that since the introduction of the Weeping Angels. Those Time Eaters are supremely creepy. Uggggh. My skin's still crawling.
Excellent job as usual.

I thought it was a brilliant episode. Even the sepia postcard action movie.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rocksicles posted:

I thought it was a brilliant episode. Even Especially the sepia postcard action movie.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It bears repeating on this page that searching for "time eaters" will get you to some spoilers for future things in an interview (and pictures) with the FX guys.

You have been warned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked that, but I am always a fan of "broken" time episodes. But yea, Cary taking Switch with him realizing that David was controlling them was great. David is clearly going to go off the deepend because he has zero moderating influence, as Lenny is just going to push him to be worse and worse, and without Switch he can't fix time the way he wants.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Well that episode was fantastic (and whiplash) and even if I have trouble with how they managed some things with this show, it'll all still be worth it for Season 1's Bolero sequence and this:
https://i.imgur.com/G7HhAOB.mp4

It's a shame that those time demons are most likely not gonna show up in the next 4 episodes because I would've loved to have an entire season of those buggers. They're probably the best monster creation I've seen in media since... I don't even loving know.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My impression is that David is not controlling Switch, but that Cary just assumed so, she just went with him to be safe from the time eaters.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
They're really leaning into the arm chopping motif: Syd last season, David earlier in the season, and now a time demon. I'm kind of hoping that time demon turns out to also be Future Syd somehow, but Legion doesn't generally followup on its fantasy/scifi weirdness and I doubt we'll hear about the time demons again. The only storylines that get followup are interpersonal drama.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oasx posted:

My impression is that David is not controlling Switch, but that Cary just assumed so, she just went with him to be safe from the time eaters.
I love how you can see her visible disgust in all the robots on the airship. Looking forward to how that comes around later.

It bears repeating on this page that searching for "time eaters" will get you to some spoilers for future things in an interview (and pictures) with the FX guys.

You have been warned.
Thanks for this because I want so badly for there to be more time eaters this season.

So... about them showing Syd talking to her younger self... The fact she's admitting that she did love David (gently caress the suggestion that David had manipulated her from the first episode on) makes me think that they actually, somehow, possibly, just might reconcile the absolutely stupid way the plot went with all that poo poo. I honestly thought they were just going to ignore the end of Season 2 and try to move in this forced direction but there's now a renewed hope in me. Good poo poo. Good episode. God I hope they can finish this show strongly.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I want more time eaters too, the big question I'd like answered is were they humans once or are they some natural cosmic manifestation shaped by the imagination of heavily stoned Beatles fans?

I don't want like a whole episode on that but I'd like a hint or two.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I love how this show uses practical effects. Any other show would've made those Blue Meanies pure CGI, and they probably would've looked fine, but probably not much better than your run-of-the-mill video game monster.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think a lot of it was CGI replacement, it looks like they have wide open jaws in a few of the scenes I was freeze-framing through

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

They were Practically built and then enhanced with CGI, which I find to be the best approach unless you got major motion picture kind of money.

E: images from that spoiler article:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 17, 2019

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Is anyone able to squeeze this down to avatar size? The various online tools that I have tried can't quite do it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

They were Practically built and then enhanced with CGI, which I find to be the best approach unless you got major motion picture kind of money.

E: images from that spoiler article:

So they're Blue Meanies? They looked like that dude from Nier to me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oasx posted:

Is anyone able to squeeze this down to avatar size? The various online tools that I have tried can't quite do it.
Yeah this is the best you're gonna get:

One extra frame takes it over the 150kb limit.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 17, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Hey y’all this episode fucken ruled.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
that poo poo owned so hard goddamn

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

That, my friends, was some sweet action.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

That's the first time I've felt the fear from a piece of media in a long time. Great work, creepy as poo poo, everything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Kinda weird to see the Shadow King just chatting, little bit of exposition, listen guys here's the deal