Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nah, that's the one magic line that white racists can't cross. White people are able to justify literally any level of racism as long as they don't say "I'm a racist." Openly stating that they're racist is the one thing that I think will not happen with Republicans.

How can you even say this, at this point? For 3 years we've all been saying, "sure, this is bad, but they won't do X" and like a month later Trump does X. At this point, nothing is off limits, nothing is off the table, and he will continue to push the envelope as long as Fox & Friends and the rally crowds approve of it.

No joke, in the very near future I see this exact scenario playing out:

*Someone at a rally yells the N-word about Omar (or whatever PoC he is targeting that day)*
Trump: *Smiles, tilts his head as if to say "welllllll....when you're right you're right" and then says "You said it, not me.......but......."
*Crowd cheers*

edit: cat and dog tax
https://twitter.com/purpleunicorn55/status/1150766565761011712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

Guys guys......let's face it......this is our fault.
https://twitter.com/jaynordlinger/status/1151674934323798016

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USPOL Summer: Good job, wolf-criers

This guy, in the water war/mega heatwave/flooded coast future:

"If democrats hadn't cried wolf about climate change for all those years, maybe we could do something now that it's finally here."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe if we get proof trump paid for an abortion.

That would do nothing.

I don't think the Apprentice outtake tape would do anything.

I think we're literally in the dead girl/live boy territory to move his base at all. Maybe videographic evidence of raping a minor while epstein watched.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

That poor not racist skeleton just trapped inside a cocoon of racist, white supremacist meat.

The innocent femur, the noble coccyx, the proud tibia, all helplessly encased in a sack of rotting neo Nazi ham.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

zenguitarman posted:

Can somebody explain why Israel is being singled out as our one true ally when we've been making GBS threads all over Western Europe for the past 2 and a half years?

On top of the reasons everyone else gave, I think a big part is so that they can deny being anti-Semitic while copying the Nazi playbook and ranting about Soros.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Failed Imagineer posted:

What he was trying to say, he said wrong.

A man could lose his mind contemplating such a phrase

The brain is smart but the mouth makes mistakes

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Guze posted:

That poor not racist skeleton just trapped inside a cocoon of racist, white supremacist meat.

The innocent femur, the noble coccyx, the proud tibia, all helplessly encased in a sack of rotting neo Nazi ham.

Now I need to see the “2SPOOKY threat level” image except it’s “THE RACIST MEAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOU”.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

But see they wouldn't be saying they were racist. They'd be saying IF in front of it. Totally different!

But I don't think there's a magic line at this point.

Maybe if we get proof trump paid for an abortion.

If there is solid evidence Trump was a pedophile rapist with Epstein that would get the "establishment" to turn on him, but the party is dead

The base is a cult and would refuse to believe it, just like the rest of reality

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

That would do nothing.

I think we're literally in the dead girl/live boy territory to move his base at all. Maybe videographic evidence of raping a minor while epstein watched.

Dealing with that sort of thing is more in the wheelhouse of republican leadership than a lot of what they've had to willfully deny. I don't think they would skip a beat

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

He just made a mistake. Multiple times. Over and over again. Doubling and quadrupling down without apology.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Guys guys......let's face it......this is our fault.
https://twitter.com/jaynordlinger/status/1151674934323798016

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USPOL Summer: Good job, wolf-criers

Hmm.

quote:

Truth is, some conservatives lamented that he had indeed "grown" in office. He had gone out of his way to accommodate liberals and moderates, and to accommodate the Kremlin. He was raising taxes, spending like crazy, welcoming wetbacks, pursuing arms control. One common cry from the right was, "None of this would be happening if Ronald Reagan were alive."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

quote:

I explained that, in the offending passage, or allegedly offending passage, I was reflecting or parodying a mindset: the mindset of certain Reagan critics on the right. And I told the complainers and accusers to jump in a lake, get a life, etc.

One could have responded in a different way, of course. I might have pleaded my humanity and universality. I might have said, “I’m the most racially liberal person I know” (which is true, but certainly not for me to say). I could have told about my lifelong affection for the Mexican people. I could have said, “Do you have any idea how many Hispanic chicks I’ve been in love with?” (We can all say something similar, right?) I could have reported how, for years and years, I have received nasty mail from the anti-immigration right, saying I’m a no-good wetback-coddler (oops).

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

That would do nothing.

Yeah see that's the thing. I feel like we missed our window for that to have an impact. Like the virus has taken over the bloodstream now, and I think we're way past the point where a shocking event like that would have caused our cultural system to reject him like a rogue virus. Now we're just used to it and such a tape wouldn't even really be a level jump from where we currently are. Its shock value is nil.

I'm really just sick about all of this. Sick to my stomach and my depression and lack of hope for the future are switched all the way on right now. These are really bad times and I do wonder if we're able to pull out of them. My hopeful side thinks that despite any infighting, 2020 will be this huge, strong rebuke of his bullshit because in my heart I know he's speaking to maybe 30% of the country tops, but yeah in the darkest parts of my psyche I wonder if it's too late for that now. I don't know. Gotta keep fighting to the last either way though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just imagine if the US looked after Puerto Rico the way it looks after Israel.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Jarmak posted:

Yeah, no, Catholics are barely even majority *white* let alone white supremacist.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/10/10/7-facts-about-american-catholics/

:chloe:

Ah yes, the organization that murdered millions of indigenous people, enslaved millions more, helped Nazi Germany and currently worship aryan Jesus iconography are totally not white supremacists lol

(Also if most Catholics aren’t white then why hasn’t there ever been a non-white pope? :thunk: )

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

twice burned ice posted:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1151842309320904704

I still cannot wrap my head around people hearing Trump's deranged ramblings and think they're cogent. It's truly baffling.

It's a range of things. Mostly he's a dumbass and they are also dumbasses so they aren't really hearing what he's saying, they're just assuming it's what they want to hear, which also works well with bigotry. They also assume Trump can't come right out and just say some stuff, even though he is coming right out and saying it. It's like glossolalia, it's gibberish but true believers understand it, because if you don't understand it then you aren't a true believer. Got it?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Well, he's still dancing around the "open racism is fine" thing, but yeah, that's pretty bad. I might be wrong on this. It seems quite clear they're starting to go "Well, a racist is better than those crazy minority congresswomen!!"

Mahoning posted:

How can you even say this, at this point? For 3 years we've all been saying, "sure, this is bad, but they won't do X" and like a month later Trump does X. At this point, nothing is off limits, nothing is off the table, and he will continue to push the envelope as long as Fox & Friends and the rally crowds approve of it.

No joke, in the very near future I see this exact scenario playing out:

*Someone at a rally yells the N-word about Omar (or whatever PoC he is targeting that day)*
Trump: *Smiles, tilts his head as if to say "welllllll....when you're right you're right" and then says "You said it, not me.......but......."
*Crowd cheers*

There's no limit to their racist behavior. The only thing I think they wouldn't be willing to do is say, outright, word-for-word, "I am a racist." But they might start doing even that, at this point.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 18, 2019

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

it just sucks it's impossible to have a president that could say the occupation of palestine is a crime and we're going to put an end to it.

Not sure how the US president is going to unilaterally end the occupation of Palestine.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

I think we're counting down to "If [x] means I'm a racist, then I'm a racist" language.

Followed by, "...but I'm not a racist"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I think we're counting down to "If [x] means I'm a racist, then I'm a racist" language.

He'll go with "Actually they're the racist ones. They agree with what I'm saying but don't like that it is someone like me or you saying it."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the president of the united states can't even complete a thought. he gets up there and interrupts himself for hours going on tangents that are supposed to connect to something and just trails off into another unmoored idea. and they looooove it.

SimonCat posted:

Not sure how the US president is going to unilaterally end the occupation of Palestine.

do you know how much money and material we give israel?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Malachi Constant posted:

The speech will be a list. The first couple times it'll be things like "if defending my flag is racist, then I'm a racist." "But I'm not a racist."

After the first two or three that "but I'm not a racist" will drop out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SimonCat posted:

Israel's military would require large scale cutbacks without us aid

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

SimonCat posted:

We’re funding the occupation of Palestine

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Malachi Constant posted:

...because racism is done by your bones and I don't have a racist bone in my body.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Helith posted:

...because racism is done by your bones and I don't have a racist bone in my body.

Racism is stored in the bones.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ruminahui posted:

(Also if most Catholics aren’t white then why hasn’t there ever been a non-white pope? :thunk: )

Google where the current Pope is from, just for funsies

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

The current Pope is of Italian heritage, despite being from Argentina. So he’s the same race as practically every other pope in history.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean, he's Argentian but the current pope is still pretty dang white.

Edit: slow.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

He's Italian :ssh:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

quote:

Jorge Mario Bergoglio was born on 17 December 1936 in Flores, a neighborhood of Buenos Aires. He was the eldest of five children of Mario José Bergoglio (1908–1959) and Regina María Sívori (1911–1981). Mario Bergoglio was an Italian immigrant accountant born in Portacomaro (Province of Asti) in Italy's Piedmont region. Regina Sívori was a housewife born in Buenos Aires to a family of northern Italian (Piedmontese-Genoese) origin

:thunk:

Mahoning posted:

The current Pope is of Italian heritage, despite being from Argentina. So he’s the same race as practically every other pope in history.

I would only amend this to include John Paul II who was Polish but yeah, still "white."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1151857668702855168

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
#istandwithtrump is currently trending. It's exactly the cesspool of white nationalism you're imagining it is.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah see that's the thing. I feel like we missed our window for that to have an impact. Like the virus has taken over the bloodstream now, and I think we're way past the point where a shocking event like that would have caused our cultural system to reject him like a rogue virus. Now we're just used to it and such a tape wouldn't even really be a level jump from where we currently are. Its shock value is nil.

I'm really just sick about all of this. Sick to my stomach and my depression and lack of hope for the future are switched all the way on right now. These are really bad times and I do wonder if we're able to pull out of them. My hopeful side thinks that despite any infighting, 2020 will be this huge, strong rebuke of his bullshit because in my heart I know he's speaking to maybe 30% of the country tops, but yeah in the darkest parts of my psyche I wonder if it's too late for that now. I don't know. Gotta keep fighting to the last either way though.

The good news is that Trump's white nationalism only speaks to a shrinking minority and is hardening a growing majority against both his ideology and the political apparatus that supports it. The bad news is that the Republican party hates democracy and is actively planning on white minority rule that uses violent repression to nullify their strong demographic disadvantage.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The good news is that Trump's white nationalism only speaks to a shrinking minority and is hardening a growing majority against both his ideology and the political apparatus that supports it. The bad news is that the Republican party hates democracy and is actively planning on white minority rule that uses violent repression to nullify their strong demographic disadvantage.

Right. 100% agree. And the true believers working for him (like Miller) do know this and are actively working to gently caress the system from within. That's what scares me too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

the major problem with omar's benjamins tweet was that it accepts the narrative that the tail wags the dog when we're the ones in control of israel. we could end the occupation tomorrow if we wanted to.

i mean we're the reason hamas went ham on fatah when we backed the coup attempt.
no actually it was a slur you see

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

White supremacists are always the ugliest loving people.

No shame for people in general that aren't considered attractive, but if you're going to claim to be the master race and then look like that...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, he's Argentian but the current pope is still pretty dang white.

Edit: slow.

He is seen as Latin America's Pope though. They talked about the huge cultural shift in several articles. The grand majority of the Catholic population in the world is in Latin America

Not debating the colonization poo poo or the nazi collaboration, but come on man, look at demographics

White Catholics are a shrinking population in the US

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

twice burned ice posted:

#istandwithtrump is currently trending. It's exactly the cesspool of white nationalism you're imagining it is.

It's also backfiring pretty hard based on that feed

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

twice burned ice posted:

And whats number 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

He is seen as Latin America's Pope though. They talked about the huge cultural shift in several articles. The grand majority of the Catholic population in the world is in Latin America

Not debating the colonization poo poo or the nazi collaboration, but come on man, look at demographics

White Catholics are a shrinking population in the US

Don't disagree with any of that, just saying that the pope is also white.

Edit: like, come on,