Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I got the Kustom Profile One off CL, $200.

Thanks for the input. Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So after a complete drought of playing for the last 6-9mo I've gotten back into the guitar with an absolute passion. After playing it almost non stop for the last couple of weeks, I think I want a second amplifier for a bit of variety. The current beast is a Marshall-clone, and it does the hot-rodded plexi sound really well.

That said, with newer songs I'm learning and playing, I'm generally keeping the gain and drive down to more reasonable levels. It has a great blackface clean channel so I'm covered from that position, but I'm interested in another colour for my sonic palette so I'm thinking about getting a Vox AC15C1 to go alongside it - I live alone in a semi-detached house so I don't need whisper quiet, but I'm fairly resigned to never really hearing power amp sag/etc. in any tube amp I own unless I get an attenuator at some point in the future.

Any thoughts or opinions gladly sought.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

get a pignose.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

get a pignose.
Do it. You won't regret this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don’t you all get me considering a Pignose again. I don’t even know if they’re actually good or not but they’re so cuuuuute.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
My only exposure to pignose amps is from the movie Crossroads where SPOILER- The karate kid guitar battles Steve Vai at the end. He uses a pignose amp in the movie but I figured a pignose wouldn’t sound as good in real life as the movie so I never checked them out. They look cool but would look cooler in black.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Cross posting from the live sound thread, please forgive me, I've got the Kustom set up, and with the addition of the Ground Loop Hum isolator (it was buzzing like mad when I attached the HDMI cable to the projector and TV) it sounds OK, but a little lacking in bass. Not surprising given the size of the drivers.

Given the lack of a discrete sub out, what's my best bet for adding bass? The sound quality is perfectly fine for vocals, but I want to use this to watch movies and play backing tracks now and then, it just doesn't thump the way I want it to for those purposes.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't know what sag is

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

guitar amp dumdum here switching from bass. thinking of getting the orange crush rt35. will that be enough for small venues that usually mic you? i want something alot more compact after lugging around a giant bass rig for years.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

guitar amp dumdum here switching from bass. thinking of getting the orange crush rt35. will that be enough for small venues that usually mic you? i want something alot more compact after lugging around a giant bass rig for years.
It should be enough, though in my experience the Crush 60 combo at 20 kilos is a beast that's still somewhat easy to carry plus it can be heard well even unmic'd and the CR120 head sounds loving awesome. Of course, the RT35 cost like 200 bucks less than the 120 head and 250 bucks less than the 60 watt combo, so maybe you're also taking that into consideration.

Don't listen to this man, he's drunk on cheese!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I don't know what sag is

It’s when the power amp is cranked it can’t draw enough power quick enough to make the note happen and so the attack of the note sounds slightly mushy. Like you put a compressor but after the amp. It’s kinda rad if that’s your vibe.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Would I be too off the mark considering going after a cheap used Ampeg Reverberocket R212R combo if all I need for tone is fenderish cleans with the slightest bit of breakup? I have pedals for dirt and I've been mostly using the built in amp sims in logic decently enough, but I have a drummer buddy and no longer have my axe-fx setup that I used to use for getting loud. It was either this or look for a Peavey Classic 50 but those are few and far between on my local craigslist right now.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thorpe posted:

Would I be too off the mark considering going after a cheap used Ampeg Reverberocket R212R combo if all I need for tone is fenderish cleans with the slightest bit of breakup? I have pedals for dirt and I've been mostly using the built in amp sims in logic decently enough, but I have a drummer buddy and no longer have my axe-fx setup that I used to use for getting loud. It was either this or look for a Peavey Classic 50 but those are few and far between on my local craigslist right now.
I don't have great advice for your amp selections but I can at least warn you of this: The Peavey Classic amps have dark and boring clean channels. You will not reach Fender-ish head-room with any of them unless maybe a compressor could help? I have played a Classic 50 (4x10") and a Blues Classic (1x15") and they are awesome for cleaning up with your volume knob rolled off. They will not give you the clean, loud, Fender sustain. For that I recommend other amps but then those amps won't give you the awesome bright crunch the Peaveys have.

Someone else will have to step in to help.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It’s been over a decade since I’ve played one but I remember really liking the Reverberocket’s clean sound.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Dr. Faustus posted:

I don't have great advice for your amp selections but I can at least warn you of this: The Peavey Classic amps have dark and boring clean channels. You will not reach Fender-ish head-room with any of them unless maybe a compressor could help? I have played a Classic 50 (4x10") and a Blues Classic (1x15") and they are awesome for cleaning up with your volume knob rolled off. They will not give you the clean, loud, Fender sustain. For that I recommend other amps but then those amps won't give you the awesome bright crunch the Peaveys have.

Someone else will have to step in to help.

One of my buddies used to play through a classic 50 4x10 and I remember digging his tone, but it was fairly driven most of the time.

If it helps at all what I’d like soundwise are sort of TTNG or Tiny moving parts sounds. Basically fender clean channels, one plays through a twin and the other a super sonic if I remember correctly.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Co-designer of the Ampeg SVT weighs in on some modern solid state amps you may have heard about :

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A fellow hired gun once said that Quilter Labs are sorta like the top-notch boutique solid state amps in the market, so I'm really not surprised.

Thorpe posted:

Get it. If you have the money and the pedals to punch some dirt every now and then, motherfucker will do you good.

Fair bit of warning, though: Depending on the year, amp WILL be either fairly heavy (a little under 40 pounds) or "warm-up before lifting it" heavy (around 55-58 pounds), so make sure to install casters, a dolly or something of that ilk.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like a coward for writing the last part, but loving my Fender Twin has taught me that sometimes, I love not throwing my back even more than "silky smooth" cleans.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Co-designer of the Ampeg SVT weighs in on some modern solid state amps you may have heard about :

I’ve been thinking about getting a Quilter since they got big honestly. They seem great. I haven’t been totally down with any solid state guitar (bass works) amps but you never know.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Aviator Gold head is ridiculous. Weights like 10 pounds (or maybe even less!), clean channel is so drat versatile despite only having 2 loving knobs and it's probably the meanest little motherfucker I've ever used. I regret not asking the guy who I recorded with if he'd be willing to sell it, because now I think they're discontinued and that breaks my dang heart.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Let me introduce you all to Cave of Swimmers, the guitarist uses 4 of those Quilters, for guitar, bass sounds, and synth (that he plays with his feet). They always sound amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tauZFhAaESA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaT0RT-7Zmc

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Just got a Friedman JJ Jr (20 watt version of the Jerry Cantrell 100 watt head). Holy balls does this thing roar. Tightest and most aggressive EL84 based amp I’ve ever heard.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ok guys, serious wiring question:

Got two 5' 16AWG speaker cables today and found out my Peavey amp only has one speaker jack (and 1 16Ω /8Ω switch for it).

Rather than shop for splitters (I have some cheap plastic ones and don't trust them I was thinking I should just do this:

De-solder/cut the jacks off of one end of each cable. Solder the hots to the hots and the grounds to the grounds on one jack, and heat-shrink them, then see if i can't screw the cover on. Wouldn't that make me one basic Y-splitter cable that will connect the two 16-Ω cabinets (since they just have basic mono plugs, nothing fancy like stereo jacks or anything like that) and then I can just connect the one jack to the single speaker out on the Peavey and set it to 8Ω and be good-to go? I don't feel like spending any more money.

What do you guys recommend? Is there a cheap (metal) piece out there that will do the job or is there any reason I shouldn't just build these two speaker cables into one splitter cable?

I'm thinking about it and we're talking 15mm of cable to fit into a jack. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and order this guy. That way I don't mutilate my cables. It's not cheap but I can't find 1/4" speaker plugs that can accept that much cable. This is probably the best idea. and I can have it in a few days.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 10, 2019

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
If your cabs have 2 jacks in the back and are in parallel, you can daisy chain the cabs together that way. What are the cabs?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I never heard back from the Craigslist person selling the Ampeg reverberocket but I did see someone had a fender supersonic 60 watt for sale locally. It’s only double the price, but what’s money? It seems like exactly what I wanted from listening to demos and reading about it.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I've never heard a Supersonic sound bad. Seems like a really nice flexible amp. Takes pedals great too

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pokey Araya posted:

If your cabs have 2 jacks in the back and are in parallel, you can daisy chain the cabs together that way. What are the cabs?
They are Blackstar HT-110 mono cabs, with just one mono jack each. I know I could magic up a way to add more jacks and stuff to run them in parallel. I thought just making my own y-cable was the best answer (I can do that work) but finding a 1/2" jack that could take about 15mm on speaker cable into it was not turning up any solid-looking jacks, so I just bought the Humbucker Y-splitter. I appears to be decent quality, it'll fit in the one jack on the Peavey and I can then just set the switch to 8Ω and that should settle it, while leaving me two decent 5' 16AWG speaker cables unmolested.

Didn't want to spend more money but the plastic Y-splitter I have is not something I trust for the power output of that amp.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been thinking about getting a Quilter since they got big honestly. They seem great. I haven’t been totally down with any solid state guitar (bass works) amps but you never know.

quilters are phenomenal; the guitarist in the indie rock band i'm in uses the 45 watt one on his pedal board and it sounds great, and i've played through the 200 watt one to test out a friend's bee baa build and it crushed my chest in

as a backup or as a lightweight fly rig you can't do much better, and it works either as a standalone amp or a pedal platform

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I just want to say that I’ve never heard an amp that’s loud enough sound bad. So if you aren’t sure if it sounds ‘good’ crank it up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just a quick post to describe the process:

I got my speaker-cable Y-splitter today and I hooked the two Blackstart HT-110 cabs to the Peavey. Turned it on and dialed in a thick, crunchy, fat tone. Not too much bass, a good amount of mids (I am a firm believer that guitar sounds need mids well-represented,) then setting the treble a little higher than normal because I am an old and my hearing has suffered a little. Then I dialed it back to be a little dark for that reason. Don't want to sound shrill!

Put the Peavey on standby and did the same with the Blackstar stack.

Then I turned them both on and set the volumes so Left and Right are nicely balanced.

And it's loving stereo rig nirvana over there now. I'm so goddamn happy with the sound. Cost about $300 in cabinets and $25 for the splitter, and about $18 in extra speaker cables. Won't post new pics because it all looks the same, but man that extra speaker frontage really helps. Those little cabinets are fantastic. I am joy.

I have one more lovely work shift then on Sunday... it's crank it up time. It's not 4x12" half-stacks, but I couldn't use those (not here anyway.) That said, I couldn't be happier unless I took out all the modulation (stereo) effects and replaced them with a Heliix or something really awesome that's rack-mountable and MIDI controlled.

I have a PODHD and should learn the trick for using it as a stereo FX box. I even have the shortboard for it. I bet that would be a good idea, too. I just don't know how yet.

I'm in love.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 13, 2019

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Stereo rigs own so much, I've been running stereo bass rigs for the last few years, mostly so I can run one amp super crunchy, highs and mids, and the other cleaner, and all bass. Pounding when used effectively. It also sorts out all the lovely sound guys, because if they don't know the term "bi-amp" or are unwilling to run 2 DI's or mics, I know they are just gonna be a pain in the rear end, and I can just do my own thing.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I swear people in my area must not want to actually sell the stuff they have listed. I’ve emailed probably about 7-8 people about amps in the last week and hardly anyone is responding, or they stop when I ask they’re availability.

Initial plan was to find a cheaper clean channel tube amp, then I sort of settled on a 60 watt supersonic. The only one in my area isn’t really responding to any messages but I did find a supersonic twin for the same price sooooo

My backs gonna hate me a lot. And my ears probably.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Use earplugs. Any time you're using anything bigger than like the smaller Boss Katana, the Yamaha THR10/5 or the Roland Cube, always always use ear-plugs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, you should use earplugs even if you're rocking those amps, because they can get loud, especially if you wanna have viciousness happen.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I dug out my mid 90s Mexican J-Bass from the closet the other day, but lost my amp in a flood 2 years ago.
I'm looking for a bass combo amp that would be good for home playing up to small gigs.
Any suggestions? I immediately thought of Fender or Ampeg combos, but I haven't played bass in years, figured I'd trust the experts here instead!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Fender rumble series is always a good go -to for combo amps.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
For real, I have a couple rumble 100s for home and they’re fantastic amps for the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So a local music store convinced my friend that the THR10 is 7 years old and feature poor, and he'd be far better off getting a Fender Mustang GT40. Now I've listened to a side by side comparison between that and the ugly-rear end vox thing that costs $100 more, and I think it sounds like poo poo in comparison. I also don't like the fact that almost everything has to be done via the app, vs the Yamaha's WYSIWYG approach.

Bluetooth would be pretty nice though. Any other options out there? The THRs are out of stock everywhere in the country atm, so I have nothing but time right now.

Edit: Australia.