Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ok, uh, the militarization of the public library was not something I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
gently caress that's right, it wasn't because of stabbings. The wrong kind of people were sitting around drinking and the library needed an excuse to check bags. I think a lot of downtown Winnipeg's issues could be alleviated if you made a kind of adult drop-in center where people go drink, shower and use the washroom. Kind of like a safe injection site but for Westminster Sherry instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

autism ZX spectrum posted:

gently caress that's right, it wasn't because of stabbings. The wrong kind of people were sitting around drinking and the library needed an excuse to check bags. I think a lot of downtown Winnipeg's issues could be alleviated if you made a kind of adult drop-in center where people go drink, shower and use the washroom. Kind of like a safe injection site but for Westminster Sherry instead.

Yeah, but good luck convincing the public that this is going to be helpful and useful and not just "FREE HANDOUTS FOR THE HOMELESS BUMS WHO NEED TO PULL THEMSELVES UP AND GET A JOB"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I think that colonizing the sun would be easier than getting the great City of Winnipeg to do something. Probably less graft too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Suplex Liberace posted:

I think that colonizing the sun would be easier than getting the great City of Winnipeg to do something. Probably less graft too.

Like the glorious Sun Whales of Eclipse Phase.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Yeah, but good luck convincing the public that this is going to be helpful and useful and not just "FREE HANDOUTS FOR THE HOMELESS BUMS WHO NEED TO PULL THEMSELVES UP AND GET A JOB"

I hate that mentality because people say this over and over and then also complain that the city is over run with homeless. At the end of the day I'd support any kind of initiative to lower the amount of public defecation, and I think that kind of angle might sell the idea to the public.

Also the CBC just ran an article here that says the cops don't have enough manpower to arrest B&E suspects. Totally not a scare tactic right before the election. They're really gunning to get Joe Public terrified of people breaking in and robbing/raping/murdering them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
winnipeg is 3rd behind montreal and vancouver for cops per capital in cities over 500k people and police spending is 27% of winnipegs tax revenue. the last thing they need is more money or officers

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Um, no? Clearly we're not spending quite enough on our boys in blue and I think they need at least one more armored vehicle because crime is on the rise! you don't want to be left on your own vs the methheads do you?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

winnipeg is 3rd behind montreal and vancouver for cops per capital in cities over 500k people and police spending is 27% of winnipegs tax revenue. the last thing they need is more money or officers

Well yeah but what about cops per criminal

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Clearly Winnipeg needs to get with the times and buy a few landmine-proof armoured vehicles to really crack down on the junkie problem.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Well yeah but what about cops per criminal

the number is the same

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

the number is the same

y'all have a lot of violent crime

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

We get real rowdy during Jazz fest. IS THAT SUCH A CRIME???

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

the more police you have the more crime there will be

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

winnipeg police is too busy flying the police helicopter around talking about blowjobs over the loudspeaker to actually arrest anyone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

We get real rowdy during Jazz fest. IS THAT SUCH A CRIME???

Er.. yes?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wait, they have jazz in Winnipeg?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

honestly if you are looking for a fest that features violent crime, you should attend countryfest in dauphin, mb. no one died this year and i think thats a first

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

New Brunswickers really punching above their weight here. If Freddy can put in an effort the province could finally have something notable about it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Wait, they have jazz in Winnipeg?

We have the biggest Jazz scene in the prairies, Chicago of the north and all that.

DariusLikewise posted:

honestly if you are looking for a fest that features violent crime, you should attend countryfest in dauphin, mb. no one died this year and i think thats a first

rapes up 600% though

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm surprised they put metal detectors in the university of winnipeg library. I used to spend a lot of time their going through the stacks for my papers. Never felt it was that dangerous but I am a fairly intimidating looking man though tbf. You could never leave your stuff unattended but that's just, like, common sense right?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm almost positive the U of W only has book scanners, I did a ton of work in there and brought tools in and out and they never went off.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I'm almost positive the U of W only has book scanners, I did a ton of work in there and brought tools in and out and they never went off.

I'm working off of knowledge from 2017 and I don't remember any from then. It's possible they were put them in recently though i guess

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fried Watermelon posted:

the more police you have the more crime there will be

Well yeah, have you met a cop?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1151625212389183489?s=20

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

At least he's getting dunked on pretty hard in the replies lol

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Jonathan Haidt is in the list, that's pretty close.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/JonHaidt/status/933726464654086144

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what is prospect magazine? another quillette?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

winnipeg police service chief: we have to stop investigating break and enters because we dont have enough resources

the winnipeg police service:

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

All joking aide, our jazz fest actually is pretty goddamn awesome.

Never cared for countryfest, and the stories I would hear from co-workers reaffirmed never to go.

Also lol I have people canvessing and everyone but the PC's are like "we're going to strengthen healthcare and expand it!" and I'm like "Okay, but don't we have to undo the damage the PC's did first, and wouldn't that cost a lot of money to get back staff/reopen/remodel places we just got rid of?" and everyone changes their tune to "well we're going to create a system where they can choose what to do! If they want to continue being urgent care they can, or go back to being an emergency room!"

*sobs*

My healthcare system is hosed. It's going to be "we don't have the money to undo the damage those naughty, naughty PC's inflicted on us, so we have to keep things the way they are"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the manitoba libs first big promise for healthcare was just to eliminate all the healthcare authorities and make one large overseeing body and return control to individual hospitals??? it was a bizarre first reform promise i feel doesnt do poo poo

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

The two Liberal candidates that I have talked to can't seem to loving explain how it would really work, either.

Which is a shame, since I am in healthcare, and this is pretty important to me.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The healthcare system is hosed due to demographics anyway unless we have a huge cultural push towards suicide for the elderly as the only "dignified" way out.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Winnipeg has a fairly interesting and depressing (for its age and size) history that is never talked about aside from the obvious strike.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Suplex Liberace posted:

Winnipeg has a fairly interesting and depressing (for its age and size) history that is never talked about aside from the obvious strike.

So much Canadian history is actually cool but gets hidden by the false belief that all Canadian history is boring.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

our history is primed to turn you against canada once you read into it, prob why schools portray it as boring

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Hand Knit posted:

So much Canadian history is actually cool but gets hidden by the false belief that all Canadian history is boring.

I remember learning about Louis Reil in grade 4 but he is probably a lot cooler than they made him seem tbh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
ah good some stupid poo poo to appeal directly to the CPC base who now feel bad because the government told them what to eat

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/canada-food-guide-andrew-scheer-1.5215689

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

theres so much goddamn sugar in chocolate milk. if manchild andrew scheer cant get his toddler to drink normal milk how the gently caress is he going to run the country