Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It sounds like there's now a third member of the Yogscast that under investigation:
https://esports-news.co.uk/2019/07/17/yogscast-turps-inappropriate-behaviour/

What does the Yogscast even do? Minecraft stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I'm visiting to Game On Expo here in Phoenix next month and Boogie is gonna be one of the guests. I hate that even an insignificant part of my ticket sale goes to him.

I was hoping to see Pat Contri's panel since he was there the past couple years but he's going to the con in Long Island that's happening the same weekend. I get it. If you got a choice between Long Island or Phoenix in July, why the hell would you visit Phoenix? The guest panel is pretty weak compared to Long Island's. (At least when it comes to the people I follow.) Boogie is the poo poo cherry on top.

I'd take the dry heat, to be honest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am sorry but whats wrong with these assholes and not getting "just ask the individual person what they prefer and then rolling with that" like yeah its kinda akward but as long as your not badfaith prick or being weird, i am pretty sure most people are fine.

I imagine it like at the start of white discomfort the siren sound effect from Kill Bill plays as red light flashes on their face during a slow zoom and at the end White Supremacy has been unlocked.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, World’s Friendliest Gamer here. You know I love all people everywhere, but last night at a meeting someone asked me my pronouns and now I’m wonderin’: shouldn’t the white race have a homeland too? Let me know what you think on superchat!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

It sounds like there's now a third member of the Yogscast that under investigation:

It's another 'a bunch of people play video games and some people find what they do funny' group. They are, apparently, hotbeds of sex pests.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Max Wilco posted:

Wait is Sjin the third member? I thought Sjin was known for a while, Turps is the new one for me. I had no idea he stepped down. Also what a nonsense "apology"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah there was some stuff going around about Sjin years ago, looks like it got swept under the rug back then, but theres no avoiding scruitiny now after two staff members get kicked for the same poo poo in one week.

I started watching the Yogscast for their ongiing minecraft stuff, which was fun because it felt like two clueless dudes stumbling into an elaborate unexpected D&D campaign, before it became increasingly obviously scripted. Its pretty painful to watch these days, especially with Simon's ""funny accents"".

Nowadays I mainly watch their ongoing TTT series on the main channel and follow relative newcomer Angory Tom who I hope isn't involved in any of this poo poo because he's the best Yogscast and sometimes has Simon on who's a lot more chill these days (and cut out the "me umbongo" poo poo).

Also fun reminder that the G in YOGS stands for Goon, so theres yet another glorious legacy for our dead gay forums.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd take the dry heat, to be honest.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
As yikes as that Boogie incident sounds, "human wall of text" is actually a perfect metaphor for that guy, so thanks for that, Pirate Jenny! (I'm glad that Kat has thick skin about this stuff, but that still sucks for her.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

I'm trying to remember wrong with the game I've seen brought up. There was...

• Unlikable protagonist
  • Developer getting salty about people not liking the game or the unlikable protagonist
  • Inconsistent tone (ex. serious discussion of deceased sister punctuated by sudden appearance 'LOLrandumb' appearance of gold alpaca)
  • Inconsistent audio quality with voice recordings
  • Plot elements derived from the suicide of Elisa Lam
  • Terrible, obnoxious writing.
  • Passages lifted from Haruki Murakami novels
  • Long load times
  • :actually:

The protagonist wears a shirt referencing the developer's previous game which was a buggy piece of crap (like, buggy enough to be functionally unplayable, as I've heard it told) that nobody liked.

Also the writing has a problem where, if I'm remembering the example right, characters will gush about JRPGs being instant classic nostalgia trips except because of when the game takes place they would've only come out a few years ago.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Sjin is terrible and should have been gone after he kept doing the loving ironic racist crap. Anyone who literally used Pepe as a mascot during the height of that whole thing does not give a gently caress about what his actions mean.

While also knowing he has a young audience.

I will say I agree on Tom, his channel is a fav of mine right now, though now I'm getting a lot more guarded about them.

I also will be surprised if Lewis comes out of this unscathed, but only cause he always seems really sex focused in stuff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is the weirdo that has to wear sunglasses everywhere one of the diddlers?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Lewis is... concerning. Its always been a little weird how reluctant Simon seems to be to share screentime with him these days. I also get a weird 'piers morgan on this morning' vibe from the episode end clips of their live steams whenever he's paired with a woman, like theres a thick layer of professionalism applied other sething contempt and its clearly a constant challenge to deal with his poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mr Phillby posted:

I started watching the Yogscast for their ongiing minecraft stuff, which was fun because it felt like two clueless dudes stumbling into an elaborate unexpected D&D campaign, before it became increasingly obviously scripted. Its pretty painful to watch these days, especially with Simon's ""funny accents"".

Nowadays I mainly watch their ongoing TTT series on the main channel and follow relative newcomer Angory Tom who I hope isn't involved in any of this poo poo because he's the best Yogscast and sometimes has Simon on who's a lot more chill these days (and cut out the "me umbongo" poo poo).

I enjoyed the Yogscast back in the day because Simon and Lewis has really good chemistry and it was fun watching these two idiots bumble through Minecraft, or WoW or Trucking Tuesday or whatever. The other members of the Yogscast ranged from fine to whatever for me, but the draw for me was the Simon and Lewis pair. Over the years it morphed away from that to be like almost 90% Gmod and holy loving poo poo do I hate watching Gmod stuff. That on top of the fact that Simon barely does things with just Lewis anymore (there was a recent Minecraft series with him, Duncan and Lewis that felt very good ol' days that was a breath of fresh air), and I don't even know why they still bother calling the channel "Lewis and Simon" because it's just not that anymore.

I watch several pairs of youtubers, Game Grumps, Beard Bros (sometimes 3 Bros now), Supermega, Jesse and Dodger do collabs frequently, Scary Game Squad (which has four instead of two but it's the same feeling), and none of them have really changed up their formula that much and it's continued to work for them. Idk what the point of this post is I guess other than it's kind of sad seeing one of the youtuber pairs I enjoyed watching just become something else that I absolutely do NOT enjoy watching

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remember when their kickstarted game was a massive hilarious failure.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The best Yogscast video is the Anub'Arak kill one because listening to angry Mearis induces WoW raiding nostalgia for me without having to actually attend raids in an MMO ever again

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Groovelord Neato posted:

They had the wonderful idea of making a knockoff minecraft focused on creating and playing adventure maps just before Minecraft actually added a proper adventure mode. It could have been cool regardless (Minecraft but with nice graphics and intuitive more granular building options feels like a slam dunk, we're long overdue the fortnight to Minecraft's Pubg). Then they handled the thing so poorly that they ended up handing out steam codes to a completely unrelated game because their development team didn't actually know how to make any of the features they promised.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr Phillby posted:

that stuff was real fun early on when it just seemed kinda like they were actually on a multiplayer server and someone was loving with them, but then it just went way too hard into creating some fantastical lore and poo poo for it and I dropped off after a few dozen episodes. The fuckin' around in really early minecraft was good fun with just simon and lewis though. Didn't really follow them after they added like a dozen new members to their group but it doesn't seem like things have really gone well for them as of late.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah, that was an INCREDIBLE trainwreck. one of the first titanic fuckups from kickstarter, wasn't it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah i want to say that was the first big dumpster fire from kickstarter.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really liked Simon and Lewis doing their Minecraft thing years ago but never really watched anything else on the channel. This is all hosed, it's hard not to become numb to the sheer amount of abusers that have a huge following.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Here's a video about the kickstarter disaster, if anyone wants more information.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr E posted:

I really liked Simon and Lewis doing their Minecraft thing years ago but never really watched anything else on the channel. This is all hosed, it's hard not to become numb to the sheer amount of abusers that have a huge following.
The increasingly common disturbing occurrence to me is the number of people who don't have any record of being abusers UNTIL they have huge followings and then have fans who are like "heck yeah I'd like to talk/hang out/whatever with this youtuber I like!" and then the creepy poo poo starts. like what vic mignogna's being blasted for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

The increasingly common disturbing occurrence to me is the number of people who don't have any record of being abusers UNTIL they have huge followings and then have fans who are like "heck yeah I'd like to talk/hang out/whatever with this youtuber I like!" and then the creepy poo poo starts. like what vic mignogna's being blasted for.

Vic was a predator well before he became a celebrity, though. Got fired from a teaching job for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, drat. Didn't know that. Mannnnnnnn, just...stop being creepy, people. Please stop!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

John Murdoch posted:

The protagonist wears a shirt referencing the developer's previous game which was a buggy piece of crap (like, buggy enough to be functionally unplayable, as I've heard it told) that nobody liked.

Also the writing has a problem where, if I'm remembering the example right, characters will gush about JRPGs being instant classic nostalgia trips except because of when the game takes place they would've only come out a few years ago.

The sentence "Holy Grail of my youth" is used, which doesn't even begin to make sense.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Did the incident where some people tried to do a "competitive" Dungeons and Dragons tournament stream get talked about in here?

When they were to hyping it up they announced a "special internet celebrity" would be participating and tadaaa... It's Boogie!!

The next day they announced that he was removed from the competitors after all the "feedback" they'd gotten, and the tournament itself was a forgettable attempt to make D&D into a DOTA-like pvp arena, but that was an amusing moment.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you want more Vic M deets the Industry Terribleness thread in BSS has been tracking it for quite a while. I assume there's a similar thread in adtrw but I never go there so...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there a general twitch thread on the forums or is this it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Scaramouche posted:

If you want more Vic M deets the Industry Terribleness thread in BSS has been tracking it for quite a while. I assume there's a similar thread in adtrw but I never go there so...

It got talked a little in the DBZ thread, I think.

Isn't there a lawgoons thread somewhere on the forums? I'd be interested to see what they think.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

Apparently there was a part in the ending sections where the main character from that previous game gives the main character a pep talk, while basically going off on how the plebeians did not understand the brilliance of his game and actively tried to sabotage it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i say swears online posted:

is there a general twitch thread on the forums or is this it?

not that i know of and that content is a lot different than what people talk about in this thread so they prolly would not fit here. someone should make a thread for them i guess?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did the incident where some people tried to do a "competitive" Dungeons and Dragons tournament stream get talked about in here?

When they were to hyping it up they announced a "special internet celebrity" would be participating and tadaaa... It's Boogie!!

The next day they announced that he was removed from the competitors after all the "feedback" they'd gotten, and the tournament itself was a forgettable attempt to make D&D into a DOTA-like pvp arena, but that was an amusing moment.

The only competitive DnD tourny that matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Apparently there was a part in the ending sections where the main character from that previous game gives the main character a pep talk, while basically going off on how the plebeians did not understand the brilliance of his game and actively tried to sabotage it.

This is part of an extended sequence of events that tell the protagonist that the universe literally revolves around him and he is the most important being ever, when up to that point 90% of the plot and character interactions he’s witnessed were about telling him the exact inverse; he is not the centre of the universe, other people matter too, and you should try try growing as a person rather than being a self-centred shithead. And literally none of that matters because he still fails and everyone dies. And that’s just the start of where everything goes off the rails.

Also the first failed game in question is called Two Brothers (not be confused with the infinitely better Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons), and it was in fact so bad and so unplayable that the Allansons tore it down from Steam in a huff and put that cameo in YiiK as a gently caress you to everyone who trashed it, because Andrew Allanson doesn’t respond well to criticism. They’re currently in the process of remaking the game from the ground up as Chromophore: The Quest for Color. But there’s no word on an eventual release date. Though I imagine there’s going to be an Alex cameo in it now who completes the circle and rants about how people trashed YiiK too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 18, 2019

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Cosmonaut talks about the problems with Stranger Things.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the first failed game in question is called Two Brothers (not be confused with the infinitely better Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons), and it was in fact so bad and so unplayable that the Allansons tore it down from Steam in a huff and put that cameo in YiiK as a gently caress you to everyone who trashed it, because Andrew Allanson doesn’t respond well to criticism. They’re currently in the process of remaking the game from the ground up as Chromophore: The Quest for Color.

cool, i always wanted to play The Void but not Russian and also significantly worse

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

John Murdoch posted:

so its loving ready player one the video game?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

not that i know of and that content is a lot different than what people talk about in this thread so they prolly would not fit here. someone should make a thread for them i guess?
would a general LPer/streamer thread be appropriate or would folks like Alpharad, PJDiCesare, WoolieVS etc go here too? I watch a fair amount of various youtube folks but I'm by no means an expert on them, but will make a thread if that would work better than discussing them here.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

would a general LPer/streamer thread be appropriate or would folks like Alpharad, PJDiCesare, WoolieVS etc go here too? I watch a fair amount of various youtube folks but I'm by no means an expert on them, but will make a thread if that would work better than discussing them here.

also I use twitch's "just chatting" platform almost exclusively. I dont want to watch people play or talk about video games but instead watch them fishing or hitchhiking, so I have no idea where that fits

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so its loving ready player one the video game?

Yes. The main character even learns that he's the most important person in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Captain Invictus posted:

There was one in Let's Play but it might be a good idea to make a new thread instead.