Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

Since buying RDR2 I've only ran it once a week to collect the online rewards. No time to start the campaign, my backlog shows no signs of shrinking :(

What's your cutoff for saying "yeah I'm never getting back to this one" for games put on the eternal backburner?

If I don't feel pleasure playing the game I just instantly stop playing. I have a very low tolerance for load-heavy games that take a lot of cutscenes, load screens, bootup time, save load time and plot padding and usually put them down. I want to have a constant interface with the game, everything else feels like homework and I don't do homework in my free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

pooch516 posted:

So you have to play video games and chill with your puppy all day? Wanna switch lives?

yes, yes I do to the first question, and an emphatic ‘no’ to the second one

apparently I left my XIV character in the golden saucer the last time I played, years ago, and last night when I logged in there was mahjong added there, and it owns and I’ve been looking for a place to play mahjong in English for ages with little luck

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Does moving your character in RDR2 still fell like dragging a 60 pound bag of poo poo through mud?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I really hate when your character feels heavy

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just replayed alpha protocol. Got every female romantic interest killed and rode off into the sunset with Heck :gay:. The gameplay is pretty good if you pretend it's an experimental game from 1999 in the quake 2 engine

E: got Leland to offer me a job, punched him in the face and then turned his head of security against him

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2019

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I remember a really good feeling in deus ex human revolution was where I'd developed my character to have the icarus mod as well as decent cloaking. That scene where you're in those capsule-like apartments within that building and it gets raided and you have to get out? I just cloaked, icarus'd directly down that open lobby/atrium area from the 3rd floor, and left undetected.

I checked strategy guides afterward and didn't even see that listed, which really drove home the charm of the original, which is "I really CAN approach situations any way I'd like and can conceivably succeed without the game breaking or punishing me" and even though I never ended up completing the game, it remains one of my fondest gaming memories, though I'm about 5 years perpetually behind anything modern because my PC is never high end for contemporary games so I end up playing the "classics" much later, and for much cheaper, which I'm fine with.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Floodixor posted:

I remember a really good feeling in deus ex human revolution was where I'd developed my character to have the icarus mod as well as decent cloaking. That scene where you're in those capsule-like apartments within that building and it gets raided and you have to get out? I just cloaked, icarus'd directly down that open lobby/atrium area from the 3rd floor, and left undetected.

I checked strategy guides afterward and didn't even see that listed, which really drove home the charm of the original, which is "I really CAN approach situations any way I'd like and can conceivably succeed without the game breaking or punishing me" and even though I never ended up completing the game, it remains one of my fondest gaming memories, though I'm about 5 years perpetually behind anything modern because my PC is never high end for contemporary games so I end up playing the "classics" much later, and for much cheaper, which I'm fine with.

DX3's level design was solid.

Shame about the story, though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My favorite most deus ex thing about dx4 is that in the beginning instead of going in to get your augs checked you can go straight downtown and into the mob boss's lair via the sewer to steal the macguffin you'll need to fix your augs, so when you go to the repairman he can just fix you up and bypass the whole early part of the game where your augs suck

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

E: got Leland to offer me a job, punched him in the face and then turned his head of security against him

while allying with winnie the pooh is fun, i myself always preferred to tell leland "yeah sure man i'll work with you here as a sign of loyalty have this pda with info on some investment opportunities i've manufactured through my superspy-ery"

*is a bomb*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I really hate when your character feels heavy

Too much like real life?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Weighty movement is an acquired taste. :smuggo:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I hated the movement in red dead but that's because I was trying to play it like a game instead of the wild west simulator it's supposed to be. The second playthrough I rarely hit the sprint button except when it was ~canon~ that arthur would be sprinting somewhere and I had a way better time with it. But there's no loving way you can do the first playthrough like that because you'll be too enthralled by the story and characters to want to waste 10 minutes walking somewhere

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

signalnoise posted:

I've been playing Vampyr for the first time for the past few days, and using hard mode, which isn't so much hard as it is much more dependent on your ~vampire choices~. It does this really well by making combat-oriented xp basically terrible, while xp gained from draining citizens really really good, but requiring you to work for it by keeping them healthy and learning about them before you drain them. You're encouraged to keep them healthy anyway, because you're a doctor and you get xp from doing so, but also because if an area gets too sick, the place turns to poo poo and combat xp is terrible. Through this system, it really impresses upon the player that drinking blood is incredibly tempting. However, it also has really significant consequences as it heavily impacts the health of the area and has other story consequences as well because draining someone is a one time thing. Citizens are one of a kind, and draining any of them takes them out of the game permanently.
They all have a backstory and most of them are just doing their best to get by. So it's not that combat is hard, it's that being a good person on hard mode is hard, and the temptation to be a monster is always there. It's real good and also the acting is good and the story is pretty compelling.

I was going to suggest this in the Mass Effect/Bioshock conversation cluster. Vampyr does player choice very well. Don't want to spoil the ending if you're not there yet but your choices actually do impact it, and there is a morality sliding scale (not "well you drank one person so you're trash, sorry"). The game is clear about how your choices are going to impact the story but it's also built into the plot in such a way it's not dumb.

There's also a lot of rich detail about Romanian migration and political conflict during and after WWI you can either dive into or completely ignore. It's not the best optimized game and the combat is a little janky but it's super fun to play.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

warframe is cool as poo poo holy cow

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
Games are life

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

It's been a long time since I played Warframe but it was p cool.

Though imho the weapon upgrade system was real weird and not good. Don't know if it's still like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ashrum3 posted:

Games are life

In that case I'm the PS3.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Yes but still don't play it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is warframe one of those games where you grind the same content over and over in the hopes of getting a new stat stick so you can grind the same content over and over but 3% more effectively

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is warframe one of those games where you grind the same content over and over in the hopes of getting a new stat stick so you can grind the same content over and over but 3% more effectively

Yes but theres lots of content

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Warframe would be a fantastic game to play if i was in a situation where i had lots of free time and no money.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Warframe would be a fantastic game to play if i was in a situation where i had lots of free time and no money.

The are number of games that fit this bill.

Almost of all of them are MMOs and looter shooters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Almost of all of them are MMOs and looter shooters.

PVP shooters and JRPGs

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
destiny and the division are like that for me. the amount of time you have to invest is just insane.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played Destiny 2 for a bit, where enemies would take exponentially less damage from you and deal exponentially more damage to you depending on your light level. Increasing your light level meant grinding or doing highly specific content, but the poo poo you'd get would still end up being lower than the recommended light level of the content. So you're still at a disadvantage until you personally clear that content. So you can't even grind your way into a comfort zone.

You can't even really personalize your appearance without dropping an absurd amount of in-game currency. And PvP has items where the people who had the items were at a clear, almost complete advantage over people who didn't.

Here's my unpopular video game opinion: Destiny 2 and all loot shooters loving suck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just playing City of Heroes now. It's like coming home.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Loot shooters and MMO's are generally for kids with too much time on their hands and manchildren with too much time on their hands

You want kids with access to credit cards and no impulse control and adults who just got nothing better going on who can spend whatever cash they got on this mindless, joyless bare minimum of stimulation

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, Warframe, Dota and Wow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think City of Heroes works so well because it actually comes place to the MMO ideal of being a big virtual playground to dress up virtual dolls and mess around in and sometimes team up to blow up aliens and mobsters with spectacular superpowers, and you can muck around with your action figure's numbers but you don't really need to very much.

Also, there's a story focus but crucially there's no one big story you're locked into, you can go in and out of story arcs as you please.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

jokes posted:

I played Destiny 2 for a bit, where enemies would take exponentially less damage from you and deal exponentially more damage to you depending on your light level. Increasing your light level meant grinding or doing highly specific content, but the poo poo you'd get would still end up being lower than the recommended light level of the content. So you're still at a disadvantage until you personally clear that content. So you can't even grind your way into a comfort zone.

You can't even really personalize your appearance without dropping an absurd amount of in-game currency. And PvP has items where the people who had the items were at a clear, almost complete advantage over people who didn't.

Here's my unpopular video game opinion: Destiny 2 and all loot shooters loving suck

Destiny 2 was a bad game to begin with though. It ignored all the improvements the DLC made for the first game made.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

YagotmeIdidit posted:

Destiny 2 was a bad game to begin with though. It ignored all the improvements the DLC made for the first game made.

Destiny 1 was interesting because the gunplay was pretty fun and there was a fair amount of content and each DLC they released really added QoL and cooler stuff to do. It was the kind of game you would look at and think, "wow, I can't wait to see what they can accomplish with the sequel, knowing what they know now!"

Then Destiny 2 actually came out and welp it absolutely loving sucked in so many different ways it is astounding that it was created by the guys that made Halo.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My Phuo: both Destiny games were good, they could have been so much better but i got my 20 hours out each them.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I played some Destiny 2 since it was free to play for a while. It seemed pretty polished to me but there was no hook there imo. The story wasn't interesting and nothing else really grabbed me about the game. I remember ending up on a farm base after the tutorial missions and some lifeless generic NPC asked me to collect some doodad in Random City and I just checked out because it was so god drat boring

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Destiny 2 peaked at Warmind and the World Eater raid. The devs keep making 1 step forward, 2 step backwards choices. No, "bounties" are not added game play and doing chores in a game sucks. This last year has added a two raids (?) but no new strikes, story content, or things that most people want to do (PVE). PVP is a mess; it wasn't great in Destiny 1 but you could still chill out and play it. In Destiny 1, I used to just roam around the dreadnought or the EDZ for fun. Destiny 2 doesn't have anything that makes me want to just explore - mostly in part that the level design is worse. D1 had tunnels and areas that interconnected the main loop which makes the map feel larger than they really are.

Also the current ammo type / weapon slots suck. There are too many overlap of archetypes and guns for the first two slots. Destiny 1's system was better. Its like the devs said "lets make destiny but we need to be different so don't do anything we did in the first game."

Destiny 2 raids are pretty fun, but still most people say they want Vault of Glass type places. The Last Wish hidden strike is good but most players won't access this unless they have friends (lol) or request sherpas.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wouldn't it be cool if a game came out that required zero grinding and just offered up a lot of arenas and raids and co-op content and various challenges to do together with a huge arsenal and skill tree already unlocked

wouldn't that be neat

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

Wouldn't it be cool if a game came out that required zero grinding and just offered up a lot of arenas and raids and co-op content and various challenges to do together with a huge arsenal and skill tree already unlocked

wouldn't that be neat

Some people would like that. Me and you might like that. But unironically many people would hate it because everyone's brain is broken today and if they aren't constantly on some stupid unlock treadmill they feel their time is being wasted.

See: Titanfall 2

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I need the bars to fill, so I can fill more bars

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Paying :10bux: for a new skin and then grinding for 10 hours to make your character .5% stronger seems really insane when you could instead pick up an interesting looking indie game for that much and at least have a chance at getting 10 hours of fun out of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I will never understand the people who grind loot in games like diablo. Either A)You have already killed the final boss, who cares? or B)By the time you finish all the grinding and kill the final boss I will have killed him a week ago and gotten an interesting fight.

What do you even get out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

FoolyCharged posted:

I will never understand the people who grind loot in games like diablo. Either A)You have already killed the final boss, who cares? or B)By the time you finish all the grinding and kill the final boss I will have killed him a week ago and gotten an interesting fight.

What do you even get out of it?

Dopamine. Its basically the equivalent of those facebook clicker games